Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 05-03-2007, 01:04 AM    (permalink
lionsfan81
Rookie

lionsfan81 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.lionsfan81 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Drew Stanton

I was wondering what the general opinion was on drafting drew. I know a lot of people (many michigan fans) do not like the pick and think hes going to be a bust. After thinking about it i think drew could be very successful. Drews senior season he had one of his worst offensive lines ever blocking for him, and if you watched any games you could see he was running for his life the entire time. His junior year behind a pretty decent offensive line he put together some impressive numbers and even was able to pick apart the ohio state defense which had like 9 players make the nfl or something. Also, drew has never thrown to an NFL calibur WR (maybe trannon but thats a big maybe) nor has he had one blocking for him on the o-line. Plus every game he pretty much had to put the whole team on his shoulders and try and lead them to victory because the defense couldnt stop anyone and they were always behind or about to be. I wouldve loved to see what stanton couldve done with a U of M oline and the receivers Henne has to throw to and if henne went to msu how he wouldve done. That being said as long as our offensive line holds up, and honestly the lions oline last year was better than msus which is saying something, i think drew can definately be a star in this league.
lionsfan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:37 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well I think Stanton (Drew 'to Canton' Stanton :D) is an okay QB, i'm just a little dissapointed they didn't draft David Harris or Paul Pozlusny (who was available at no. 2 in the second, before we traded down)... hopefully he'll be a good QB for us.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:12 AM    (permalink
Aard
Rookie

Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.

As a Michigan fan and a Lions fan, I don't harbor any animosity toward Drew and wish him a long and successful career under center in Detroit.

I don't expect anything from him this season other than to learn the Detroit offense and absorb all he can about the pro game from the sideline, though I do hope we get a look at Dan Orlovsky for a few snaps (even a full game or two) this fall.
Aard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:34 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I read that Martz graded Stanton similar to Quinn. Which is why they jumped all over him in the 2nd round. I tend to trust Martz when it comes to seeing talent at the QB position.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
I read that Martz graded Stanton similar to Quinn. Which is why they jumped all over him in the 2nd round. I tend to trust Martz when it comes to seeing talent at the QB position.
Yeah... I guess...

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 05-03-2007, 04:11 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Drew Stanton has tools... I hope he succeeds here, obviously.. I just don't like him where he is right now, he makes a lot of bonehead decisions.. he reminds me of Jake Plummer.. Hopefully he gets his head on straight.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:55 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

he made a lot of mistakes but you can somwhat blame pressure from a lack of an oline not for all but that does play a role. I feel he can definitly succeed here especially with the coaching he will recieve and the weapons he will have. Im excited about the pick and definitly feel that he'll be just as good as Quinn and Russell
Old 05-03-2007, 07:37 PM    (permalink
dreadedluck

Quinn, Leinart, Cutler, Stanton....which one doesn't fit?
Old 05-03-2007, 07:54 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadedluck View Post
Quinn, Leinart, Cutler, Stanton....which one doesn't fit?
Quinn, because he doesn't have a "T" in his last name.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:58 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
HAHAH!

If Martz wants Stanton, I want Martz to have Stanton. Not only does it say a lot for what he could be someday under Martz, but it might encourage Martz to stay around longer to play with his new toy.

Stanton also has mobility... something Kitna definitely lacks. Can't wait to see him on the field.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:39 AM    (permalink
Icon

Quote:
Drew Stanton has tools... I hope he succeeds here, obviously.. I just don't like him where he is right now, he makes a lot of bonehead decisions.. he reminds me of Jake Plummer.. Hopefully he gets his head on straight.
Thats the thing with Stanton, sometimes he looks like Jake Plummer and sometimes he looks like Brett Favre. Im a Michigan fan but ive always liked Stanton and watched a lot of Michigan State games because of it. Its similar to Jay Cutler in college, he didnt have great talent around him and just made too many errors trying to do everything. Sometimes his WR were solid, but the defense was always terrible meaning they had to score a lot of points every game. His pro day stuff reaffirms the tools part of him, he has ideal size, mobility, good arm & mechanics, the good/bad gunslinger term probaly fits him as well. I do think he has more raw talent, potencial, and ability than any other QB Martz has worked with. I think this could be a great fit for Stanton. When he is groomed to start in maybe a year and a half to two years, hell have CJ & Roy, hopefully a solid line (fingers crossed) and hopefully a solid Kevin Jones. Not a bad situation for a QB with the right coaching.

So I don't know, Ive always liked Stanton to the Lions, I agree I would have liked to see if he fell to the 3rd and taken a David Harris or starting calibur defensive player at 34, but really I think Stantons raw talent and numbers would have gotten him picked ahead of our 3rd rounder so I dont mind it too much.

But still, I don't see us stopping a whole lot of teams this year so Im hoping for a defensive stud in 08.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:08 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've never been a fan of his and it has nothing to do with me being a Michigan fan. He is just too inconsistant for my liking. People throw around the lack of talent argument a lot, but I really am not buying it. I've seen many Michigan State games and gone to a few the last two years (sadly, more State games then U-M games). The horrible supporting cast did hold him back some, but my biggest concern is the decision making. I mean he starts getting a real nice drive going and then boom throws it right to the defender. I really hope that Stanton does well in Detroit. I want him to become the Lions solution at QB very badly. I just worry a lot about him.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:18 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Stanton > Leinart and Cutler

he's got twice as many t's. C'mon that just spells domination for ya? or maybe... Tomination?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 05-04-2007, 08:40 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You know, you kept saying that all throughout the chat we had on draft day, and I was always thinking to myself . . . Plummer is better than Kitna, lol.

I like Stanton. And I like him even more when Martz is his coach.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:13 AM    (permalink
LionSmack
Veteran

LionSmack hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The thing I liked the most about Stanton was that he seemed really stoked to be a Lion and looked like he was ready to go break down film with Martz all day every day until August. I hope that's exactly what he does.
LionSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Notredameleo
Pro Bowler

Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Will Stanton see any PT this year???
Old 05-04-2007, 12:40 PM    (permalink
supermario86
Rookie

supermario86 needs more cowbell.

Stanton will be a pro bowler his 5th year book it.
supermario86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:14 PM    (permalink
Newbs24
Rookie

Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermario86 View Post
Booked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermario86 View Post
Newbs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:10 PM    (permalink
Notredameleo
Pro Bowler

Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hall of famer, BOOK THAT!!! lol
Old 05-04-2007, 06:00 PM    (permalink
lionsfan81
Rookie

lionsfan81 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.lionsfan81 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

New article up on stanton online

http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/i...l=1&thispage=1

sounds like martz is making him into the player he wants which i like, he is struggling right now but in time will understand it and get better. I guess thats what these next two years as back up are for.
lionsfan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:36 PM    (permalink
Notredameleo
Pro Bowler

If hes making him change everything about him, why did we spend a second round pick on him. You could have got a 7th rounder and totally re did his mechanics....?
Old 05-04-2007, 09:00 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As has been said already, I worry about his decision making. He makes some terrible throws sometimes. It seems like every QB that comes out that throws more INT's than he should and takes some chances he shouldn't is labeled as a "gun slinger" or "Favre like" by fans who like him, rather than just saying "Hey, maybe this guy should be a 4th rounder or second day pick with potential to be groomed." I truly, truly hope he ends up being a stud for us, and our QB of the future. But as notredameleo said, if they were going to change everything about him, why not just draft someone in the second day and do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:12 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notredameleo View Post
If hes making him change everything about him, why did we spend a second round pick on him. You could have got a 7th rounder and totally re did his mechanics....?
because the coaches love his intangibles as well. Hes a great leader something Marinelli loves and he has every physical tool to be able to succeed in the NFL something a late rounder doesnt have. Martz would have done the same with Quinn he wants his QBs doing everything his way and it seems to work with his QBs so llets just wait and see
Old 05-04-2007, 09:14 PM    (permalink
Notredameleo
Pro Bowler

I love the Stanton pick, I just dont see why they are changing everything about him if they spent such a high pick on him, but then again im not the mad genius. SO, i think it will work out.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:21 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notredameleo View Post
I love the Stanton pick, I just dont see why they are changing everything about him if they spent such a high pick on him, but then again im not the mad genius. SO, i think it will work out.
im not sure changing everything is a negative thing on Stanton it just is how Martz has worked with all of his QBs Stanton never had a Qb coach to do things like this that Martz is doing it will only make him better