Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:53 PM    (permalink
ny10804
All-Pro

ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.
Default Looking Back

Looking back, who do you think got the better of the Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis deal? I must say, it is hard to tell. Champ Bailey, who turned 28 on the 22nd of June, had maybe his best year this past year. Clinton Portis, who is 24, will be entering his prime this upcoming year. Roughly, I'd say Champ has 5 more great seasons in him, and Clinton has 6 more great seasons left in him.

To repeat: who do you think got the better of the Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis deal?

EDIT - the official trade was:

Denver gets:
Champ Bailey
2nd round draft pick (Tatum Bell)

Washington gets:
Clinton Portis
Old 07-11-2006, 09:56 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

it wasn't just champ for portis, straight up.

remember, tatum bell was part of that deal. it's a year too early to judge.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:00 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I say even, Denver got a good corner in Champ while any RB can fit in there scheme, also RB have a higher chance of getting injured. Clinton is putting up great # in washington, i call it even.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:04 PM    (permalink

I think it worked out equally for both teams.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:05 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll give it to Washington for one reason. They trade Champ Bailey for one year (and Tatum Bell :? ) for Portis for at least 8 years.

Portis is a great back, but Bailey is a lock down CB. It was very even, but Bailey has more value than Portis.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:07 PM    (permalink
moc182
All-Pro

moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.

Denver.

"A real man makes his own luck." Billy Zane, Titanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmitt Smith
Donít quit, donít even quit.
moc182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:08 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151
I'll give it to Washington for one reason. They trade Champ Bailey for one year (and Tatum Bell :? ) for Portis for at least 8 years.

Portis is a great back, but Bailey is a lock down CB. It was very even, but Bailey has more value than Portis.
what are you actually saying?
Old 07-11-2006, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it is dead even. Champ has been an excellent corner, and Portis has played at a high level in Washington. No faulting either organization.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:11 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm saying that Washington got the better end of the deal because they wouldn't have had Bailey for more than a year. But the value of a lock down corner is more than a top RB.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:14 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The official trade (in the NFL Record & Fact Book) reads: "Running back Clinton Portis from Denver to Washington for cornerback Champ Bailey and the Redskins' second-round selection in 2004 (RB Tatum Bell). (3/4)"

Champ Bailey is 28. Clinton Portis is 24 (He will be 25 on September 1st). Tatum Bell is 25.

IMO, Denver got the better deal. Tatum Bell is a heck of a RB, and he is extemely underrated. He had 5.3 Y/C both in '04 and '05. Now, he should start, and he will prove to everyone that he is a top RB. Bailey is the #1 CB. Washington got Portis, who has done well. He is a bit overrated because he gets the ball so much, but still a Top-10 runner. As far as how many great years they have left, IMO, Bailey has 4. Portis has 7. Bell has 6.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:16 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

additionally, bailey will be able to pull a rod woodson and move to safety in a few years. it's not like his career is over at 31-32.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:31 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It was not a bad deal for either team but if i had to pick i would say Denver it is alot harder to find a star CB then a star RB.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:36 PM    (permalink
elway777
All-Pro

elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

pretty even since we have had 2 straight 1,000 yard seasons out of former fb's and washingtons secondary was good before smoot left and they wee left with rogers.and we also got (900 yard 6 yard average last season) tatum bell out of that trade
elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:04 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man, me and NJX had a huge arguement about this when I was still a rookie

I say Washington b/c even though CBs like Champ are hard to get, RBs as consistant and good as portis are IMO more important

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:07 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Denver. They dont need Portis..many backs can run well in their system..Bell even if he doesnt start..brings a change of pace to guys like Anderson,now with Ravens, and Ron Dayne if he starts.

There aretn many shut down corners in league. If it wasnt Denver who gave Portis..i would say even because Denver doesnt need a great RB like Portis so they can be effective..they got the closest thing to a shut down and Bell has broken a few big 1s and will continue to do so with his 4.3 speed
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:15 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearfan54
Man, me and NJX had a huge arguement about this when I was still a rookie

I say Washington b/c even though CBs like Champ are hard to get, RBs as consistant and good as portis are IMO more important
heh, is it sad that that was such a common occurance for a while that i don't even remember it?
Old 07-12-2006, 12:44 AM    (permalink

Denver thought they could plug in any decent RB and have a good running game, which is kind of true, but Portis had a chance to put up unheard of numbers in Denver. I definitely don't think Washington got the better end of the trade, but I also don't think Denver should have traded Portis.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:59 AM    (permalink

IMO denver.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:06 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1SaintsFan
Denver thought they could plug in any decent RB and have a good running game, which is kind of true, but Portis had a chance to put up unheard of numbers in Denver. I definitely don't think Washington got the better end of the trade, but I also don't think Denver should have traded Portis.
out of curiousity, did you see our pass defense, pre-Champ? our secondary was trash.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:11 AM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1SaintsFan
out of curiousity, did you see our pass defense, pre-Champ? our secondary was trash.
I can't honestly say that I did, but based only on the stats, the secondary's performance has dropped. In 2003 (pre-Champ), Denver gave up 177 pass YPG. Those numbers grew to 184 YPG in 2004 (with Champ) and 228 this past season. I know stats aren't everything, though. I'm just thinking Portis could have been really special with Denver's blocking scheme.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:11 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Denver's running game hasn't been hurt, Washington's defense hasn't been hurt either. So neither team "lost" per say. As for which improved their respective teams more, I would give Washington the advantage.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:42 AM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

dead even. Bell is not improving that much.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:46 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dead Even. Not because I like in DC, but relative to

1. Gibbs needs at RB
2. The change of rules in regards to CB's

and the value of Bailey, who is one of the best corners in the league, just isn't as great. Had Bell been more consistent, I'd give the edge to Denver.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:49 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Denver got the better end. People can argue whether or not Bailey is the best corner in the game, but either way we know he is elite and top 5. You don't trade a top 5 corner for a RB unless that RB is the second coming of Jim Brown or Walter Payton. People seem to be all over Portis, but the truth is the Redskins could probably get a lot of guys to give similar production to what Portis is doing.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:21 AM    (permalink
ChiBear
Rookie

ChiBear hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moc182
Denver.
ChiBear is offline   Reply With Quote