Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-17-2006, 05:51 PM    (permalink

What shiver?

Derrick Brooks is in the Cover 2, we rarely go with man coverage. That doesn't make much sense.

I don't even think Atlanta goes zone, but correct me on this because I don't know what kind of defense Atlanta runs besides the fact it is 4-3.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:53 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you wanna go by stats, Angelo Crowell had 120 total tackles while playing significantly in only 14 games. He also had as many sacks and forced fumbles and one more interception than Brooks. All in his first year starting. But obviously Brooks is a better player. Of course the stat argument has been made already, but I just love Crowell
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:59 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms2Clayton
What shiver?

Derrick Brooks is in the Cover 2, we rarely go with man coverage. That doesn't make much sense.

I don't even think Atlanta goes zone, but correct me on this because I don't know what kind of defense Atlanta runs besides the fact it is 4-3.

Worded wrong on my part. He is better in coverage, not just man-to-man, he is more fluid. But Brooking has outproduced Brooks at being a ball-hawk, than post-prime Brooks.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:04 PM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoJoeBucsFan
Brooks hands down.
If you're going to say "hands down" and happen to be a bucs fan, explain, or don't post that.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:05 PM    (permalink
bofadabizzles
Veteran

bofadabizzles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bofadabizzles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bofadabizzles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bofadabizzles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bofadabizzles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bofadabizzles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bofadabizzles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bofadabizzles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bofadabizzles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bofadabizzles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bofadabizzles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver
Quote:
Originally Posted by bofadabizzles
If we are talking about last year, Brooks and the Bucs beat Brooking and the Falcons 2x, and Brooks forced Vick to fumble while the Falcons were driving to win the first game.
Yeah, Brooks and that defense were the reason Tampa Bay won those two games. (27 Points, 443 Net Yards, and 24 Points allowed, 281 Net Yards) :roll: Not to mention, Brooks didn't cause the fumble, Dunn's helmet did. It was the O-Line that let Brooks go untouched, forcing Dunn to jump in front of Vick, thus his helmet and the football collided.

Quote:
If we are talking about the length of their careers, it's not even close. Brooks was the Defensive MVP of the NFL the year the Bucs won the the Super Bowl, he was even better in the playoffs that year.
No debate from me, over their career, Brooks is much better. But that isn't the question in this thread, nor my point.
The D was the reason we won those games, the first game we had no offense outside of Caddy, we only had 1 or 2 decent drives all game, the Falcons moved the ball up and down the field until it came time to punch it in. Our D was on the field most of the game and each drive some way they came up with a play to keep us in the game.
bofadabizzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:34 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Derrick Brooks of course. Stats aren't everything, often times interceptions are a result of just being in the right place at the right time. That being said Keith Brooking is good in coverage, but he is not Derrick Brooks. Brooks is one of the best coverage OLB's in the NFL. He is more experienced and is more of a team leader than Brooking.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:37 PM    (permalink

lol Falcons fans are kinding themselves if they actually think Brooking is even in the same class as Brooks let alone better or as good. hahaha I love it, they think Vick is actually a good QB too.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:46 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermaineRace
lol I am kidding myself that I actually think I know everything about the game of football. hahaha I love it, nothing like being a pompous know it all.

*fixed

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:10 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermaineRace
lol Falcons fans are kinding themselves if they actually think Brooking is even in the same class as Brooks let alone better or as good. hahaha I love it, they think Vick is actually a good QB too.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:15 PM    (permalink
NIN1984
Pro Bowler

NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its not even close, Derrick Brooks all the way
Old 07-17-2006, 08:55 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses
I'd probaly go with Derrick Brooks if I had one season to win the Super Bowl. He has the experience and talent to lead a defence both physically and mentally. Also, analyzing stats (especially when they're this similar) won't determine who the better player is.
Moses u have to be one of teh smartest posters on here. us canadian boys know our stuff eh? ur totally right, stats dont mean s**t, especially for defense. INTs can jsut be being in thje right place at the right time, then it becomes a tip drill. Anyone can get some of those INTs. Look at Ty Law. 10 INTs last year, but 8 of them dropped right into his hands. Im not knocking brooking, cause i voted for him. just saying stats dont mean jack. The reason i chose brooking is cause derrick brooks plays in a cover 2 defense, which is so differant from any other defense, especially for LB. Im not sure how well he would do in a prototypical defense. But Brooking can play any LB postion in the more traditional 4-3, and im sure hed do fine in a 3-4 as well. I take brooking, not by much, but by the versatility factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:56 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses
I'd probaly go with Derrick Brooks if I had one season to win the Super Bowl. He has the experience and talent to lead a defence both physically and mentally. Also, analyzing stats (especially when they're this similar) won't determine who the better player is.
Moses u have to be one of teh smartest posters on here. us canadian boys know our stuff eh? ur totally right, stats dont mean s**t, especially for defense. INTs can jsut be being in thje right place at the right time, then it becomes a tip drill. Anyone can get some of those INTs. Look at Ty Law. 10 INTs last year, but 8 of them dropped right into his hands. Im not knocking brooking, cause i voted for him. just saying stats dont mean jack. The reason i chose brooking is cause derrick brooks plays in a cover 2 defense, which is so differant from any other defense, especially for LB. Im not sure how well he would do in a prototypical defense. But Brooking can play any LB postion in the more traditional 4-3, and im sure hed do fine in a 3-4 as well. I take brooking, not by much, but by the versatility factor.
Brooking has played all of these in his college and pro career:

4-3 WLB, MLB, SLB
3-4 WILB, SILB

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:06 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm torn on this one, but I voted for Brooking because I know that Jack Del Rio would take him. He's a big fan of versatility.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:07 PM    (permalink

Just because you are versatile, doesn't mean you are more talented.

Troy Brown can play WR, CB, NB, KR, and PR, but that doesn't mean he is better than T.O.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:33 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, great comparison there. TO and Troy Brown are close in ability. :roll:

He has versatility at the LB position, which Del Rio is a fan of. That's why I voted for him. I don't know why I have to re-explain something as simple as this.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 07-18-2006, 07:42 AM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unseen
Yeah, great comparison there. TO and Troy Brown are close in ability. :roll:
I was making my point. Troy Brown is the most versatile player in the NFL, but he will never be as good as T.O., which means just because you are versatile doesn't make you as valuable, or more valuable, than another player.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:18 AM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Next Season- Derrick Brooks
8 years- Keith Brooking
Old 07-18-2006, 09:43 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

You don't get it then. Troy Brown is a #3 sometimes #2 WR who has played totally different positions. TO is a top-5 #1 receiver. Keith Brooking, even if he is not as good as Derrick, is versatile as a linebacker. Not only that, if he is not as good, it's not by much. Derrick Brooks is the epitome of the WLB in the Tampa 2, and that's probably it.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 07-18-2006, 09:54 AM    (permalink
Jensen
SWDC Mafia
All-Pro

Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Derrick Brooks is the better linebacker right now, but in a couple years it'd be Brooking.

BoneKrusher
Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Jonathan_VIlma
Pro Bowler

Jonathan_VIlma hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'll take Derrick Brooks. The defense revolves around him and the WLB position in general. If he doesn't drop deep enough in coverage then it throws the whole cover 2 zone scheme off. He's been amazing at it and is a clear cut Hall of Famer because of it.

Four more passes defended, and ten more tackles is what most forget. Brookings stats looked better on paper, but I'd bet teams are a lot more hesitant to throw towards Brooks weakside because of the underneath coverage and the depth he gets. That's not to say it's a knock on Brooking, but Brooks is a monster at what he does, with incredible football instincts and game skills.

If the basis is on one year, I'll take Derrick Brooks.

Designs by Thule
Jonathan_VIlma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:22 PM    (permalink
Jonathan_VIlma
Pro Bowler

Jonathan_VIlma hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN
Next Season- Derrick Brooks
8 years- Keith Brooking
Neither will be playing eight years for now, and I doubt Brooking will stack up against Brooks if you're comparing career accolades.

Designs by Thule
Jonathan_VIlma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:24 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_VIlma
Four more passes defended, and ten more tackles is what most forget. Brookings stats looked better on paper, but I'd bet teams are a lot more hesitant to throw towards Brooks weakside because of the underneath coverage and the depth he gets. That's not to say it's a knock on Brooking, but Brooks is a monster at what he does, with incredible football instincts and game skills.

If the basis is on one year, I'll take Derrick Brooks.
I love this point you make. It is like elite CBs, teams never threw at Deion Sanders for this same reason.

Brooks had a few years where he intercepted 3, 4, 5 balls, but after our Super Bowl year, he had only 1 or 2 because teams finally realized how good he was against the pass.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:26 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensen
Derrick Brooks is the better linebacker right now, but in a couple years it'd be Brooking.
Of course, because DB might be retired.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:29 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unseen
Derrick Brooks is the epitome of the WLB in the Tampa 2, and that's probably it.
That's probably it? Like saying Anthony Munoz is the best LT of all time, "but that's probably it."

Brooking is more versatile, but he will never be as good as Derrick Brooks because Brooks' athleticism is unreal.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:33 PM    (permalink

Keith Brooking isnt even a top 5 OLB

Brooks is