Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:56 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Big Ben is the man!

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:01 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420 View Post
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nfl

The Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger's agent have had early talks about a contract extension for the young quarterback. While it appears nothing will be done this season, the machinery is gearing up for what should be the largest contract in the organization's history. Roethlisberger's next deal looms large over the organization already and might be one reason they won't or can't pay six-time Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca enough to keep him here beyond the 2007 season.
There's just discussions, they're not even in talks yet. And when you get a Franchise QB of Bens capability (Even though people here hate him) you sign him long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz
i dont think he has proven that he is worth a huge contract, if he has a good year though it would help me believe more in him
I have just written off anybody actually getting him credit for his accomplishments. I mean, Philip Rivers had 1 solid season and there were cries of him being the best of the 3 QB's. Eli hasn't but "He passes more" so obviously he gets the rank above Ben.

Ben had 2 solid seasons, 1 really bad one. I don't like getting into hypotheticals, but I would be interested in seeing Eli or Philip have near death experiences, emergency appendectomy's, and see how their season unfolds.

Ben is underrated, mostly because for some reason, a lot of people try to short change his accomplishments because "He had a great defense", but of course it doesn't come into play for other guys (or the fact Rivers had LT and Turner)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrost
Its gonna suck when they realize he literally rode his RBs backs to the SB and that he can't take over a game by himself.
again like above. Who did Rivers ride this year? LT/Turner/Gates. Ben has taken games over by himself. Obviously you didn't see the Denver or Cincinnati game of last post season. I know more than one occasion he made big plays. I expect a big season.

Name me 1 QB that can literally "Take over a game by himself" because unfortunately unless your Mike Vick, you need to utilize your WR's and RB's. God forbid Ben was a leader and made plays, but other guys got the #'s.

Fine, Peyton Manning rode his defense and Joseph Addai/Dominic Rhodes to a Superbowl.

Same with Rivers and LT/Turner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite
I tend to agree, he's what I'd call a good QB but nothing more. If the kid showed he could carry a team I'd be happy to seem him get a massive contract but really, can he?

I know he's had a few great games, but he's always had a stellar supporting cast.
Manning has Plaxico, Tiki, Amani Toomer, Brandon Jacobs
Rivers has Gates, LT, Turner
Manning has Addai (Edge/Faulk), Wayne, Harrison, Clark, Utecht and now 1st round pick Gonzalez
Palmer has CJ, Housh, Henry, Johnson, Perry and now Irons

I love my teams players, but it's hard to put our offenses above those.

Ben is well worth that contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinzzfan25
Don't know when Parker's is out, but I'd much rather sign him up to a big deal then Big Ben. If I was their FO, I'd wait till the end of this year before doing anything rash.
Parker signed last offseason.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]

Last edited by Mr. Stiller : 05-24-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:26 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually think it's a bad idea to give Polamalu a superstar contract; the concussion problem has reared its head a few times, and he's probably worth more in trade than to the team. Don't get me wrong, I love Troy and will never forgive AJ for passing on him in the same offseason we cut Rodney Harrison (his two worst moves rolled into one), but I don't think he's going to be playing into his 30s.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:09 AM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
Polamalu is a liability at times in coverage. Peyton manning goes after him like its nobody's business.
Yes like when Troy picked him off twice...in the last two games they played against each other.

I'd rather have Troy back then Ben

But honestly what is it with pittsburgh is there any player that isn't viewed as overrated.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch

Last edited by DeathbyStat : 05-25-2007 at 11:32 AM.
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:46 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyStat View Post
Yes like when Troy picked him off twice...in the last two games they played against each other.

I'd rather have Troy back then Ben

But honestly what is it with pittsburgh is there any player that isn't viewed as overrated.
It's probably a direct result of winning the superbowl and then falling flat on their face.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:58 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCohen View Post
It's probably a direct result of winning the superbowl and then falling flat on their face.
An 8-8 season and missing the playoffs by 1 game is hardly falling flat on their face.

Isn't it funny that the Steelers have an average season and everyone thinks is a horrible year but there are teams like the Browns and Bengals in our division that strive for a .500 record. I remember all the Bengal fans rejoicing when Marvin got them to .500.

But anyway, thats not why everyone says all our players are overrated because they thought everyone was overrated even after going 15-1 and coming back the next year and winning it all. Just seems anyone that plays in Pittsburgh has to be considered overrated if they are given any attention at all.

Take Porter for an example. While he was a Steeler everyone said he was overrated and made him out to be a bad OLB on the end of his career. Then he leaves and everyone says it will be a devastating loss to the Steelers and a great gain for the Dolphins.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Last edited by Smooth Criminal : 05-25-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
An 8-8 season and missing the playoffs by 1 game is hardly falling flat on their face.

Isn't it funny that the Steelers have an average season and everyone thinks is a horrible year but there are teams like the Browns and Bengals in our division that strive for a .500 record. I remember all the Bengal fans rejoicing when Marvin got them to .500.

But anyway, thats not why everyone says all our players are overrated because they thought everyone was overrated even after going 15-1 and coming back the next year and winning it all. Just seems anyone that plays in Pittsburgh has to be considered overrated if they are given any attention at all.

Take Porter for an example. While he was a Steeler everyone said he was overrated and made him out to be a bad OLB on the end of his career. Then he leaves and everyone says it will be a devastating loss to the Steelers and a great gain for the Dolphins.
Exactly.

Don't forget, Bens Rookie season weapons...

Plaxico Burress, Hines Ward, Lee Mays

Oh and these superstars:

Duce Staley, Oliver Ross, Jerame Tuman, Keydrick Vincent...

And we lost Casey Hampton for the season.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Exactly. People said Ben succedd early because of the great offense around him. The right side of the line was horrible and we had no depth at reciever. Plus Even though the recievers were probabl;y the best weapon we had at that point everyone said Ward and Burress were overrated aswell.

So if Ben is only playing good early because he has a good supporting cast, how can that supporting cast also be overrated?

Old 05-26-2007, 12:05 PM    (permalink
tom
Veteran

tom smells like sex panther.tom smells like sex panther.

I can't understand why anybody would bash the steelers for signing Ben Roethlisberger to a huge contract.

Take his passer rating last year, 75.4, that's only.3 less than michael vick's career average of 75.7.

His career passer rating, at 87.9 is higher than these guys, oh, and he has a ring...
Air McNair, 83.2 (no rings)
Favre, 85.1 (one ring)
Drew Brees, 87.5 (no rings)
Mark Burnell 84.2 (no rings)
Jeff Garcia 85.4 (no rings)
Matt Hasselbeck 85.1 ( no rings)
McNabb 85.2 (no rings)

Who has better numbers than ben? Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Daunte Culpepper and Carson Palmer... Oh, and Phillip Rivers has a slightly higher rating, having only started for one season... so that doesn't really count.

So how much should he be payed? As much as Tom Brady or Peyton Manning? of course not, but he should get a contract that reflects how he stands in relation to other nfl QB's.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:34 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller
Ben had 2 solid seasons, 1 really bad one. I don't like getting into hypotheticals, but I would be interested in seeing Eli or Philip have near death experiences, emergency appendectomy's, and see how their season unfolds.
Ok, you said it yourself. He had two solid seasons and one bad one. Is giving a QB with three years experience, that has only had two "solid" seasons, a large contract extention a good idea?
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

If your read the article it says they'll be doing it after this season is over so I'm sure how well he plays will play into how long this deal is and how much it is worth.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:47 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots-Lions View Post
Ok, you said it yourself. He had two solid seasons and one bad one. Is giving a QB with three years experience, that has only had two "solid" seasons, a large contract extention a good idea?
Yes, Considering his two "Solid" seasons (I think you misinterpreted how I meant solid, I meant it as he played nearly mistake free), he went 15-1/1-1 and 11-5/4-0.

His worst season, he only played bad enough to keep us at 8-8.

So with a Career Stats:

8519yds - 2840yds/season
62.4%
52-43 Td-INT..
87.9 Career QB Rating.