Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:01 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Steelers are running a 3-4

People may not care, but i'm really tired of seeing us referred to in peoples writeups as:

"Tomlin prefers the 4-3 Cover2 and I don't think they'll run it very well this season"

We're running a 3-4. Woodley will slide up occasionally and we'll run a hybrid 3-4/4-3 system, but we're not running a 4-3 base formation or often.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:40 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yep, they have a Defensive coordinator for a reason, and LeBeau isn't going to just change his defense.
mqtirishfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:47 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Plus, as BBD has pointed out, it is feasible to run a 3-4 Cover 2.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:19 PM    (permalink
jkpigskin
Pro Bowler

jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if you have the personal, it really doesnt matter wat u call it, but the steelers probably run alot of different looks

Go Ravens!
jkpigskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:08 PM    (permalink
High Roller
Rookie

High Roller hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I can see a Hybrid...a little of both. However, i think they would be more successful with 34 because of their personell.

Faithful Niner Fan
High Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 11:15 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think they will mix it up. This year they run a hybrid, versatile, scheme. Next year you can fully switch to the 4-3.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 11:33 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Plus, as BBD has pointed out, it is feasible to run a 3-4 Cover 2.
Cover 2 just means thre are two safeties back, you could run Cover 2 from a 7-2 defensive front if you wanted. Tomlin's from the Tampa 2, the Dungy varriant, with a Cover 2 base. The common misconception is that Cover 2 only refers to the Tampa 2.

sig by VLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I don't care...
Hurricane Ditka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 12:24 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A full switch to a 3-4 would be disastrous the way the team is built right now. I think Tomlin will use it on pass downs and try and integrate as best he can, especially towards the latter part of the season.

They are going to run the 3-4 primarily as far as I can tell, at least for the first half of the season.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:43 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

who knows. tomlin might (yes might), revolutionize and start a 3-4 cover two trend.

or they might just say, wtf, we'll switch to 4-3 because it's sooooo awesome. they won't have the personnel to do it for at least two years. look at how long its taken san francisco to do it? dallas?

but this is the same pgh we're talking about...

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 04:21 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ditka View Post
Cover 2 just means thre are two safeties back, you could run Cover 2 from a 7-2 defensive front if you wanted. Tomlin's from the Tampa 2, the Dungy varriant, with a Cover 2 base. The common misconception is that Cover 2 only refers to the Tampa 2.
Oh, I know. I think the Steelers would be fine if they used a Cover 2 but I don't think Tomlin is looking to switch to the Tampa 2 any time soon especially after the players he drafted this year, specifically LaMarr Woodley, who they have said will be used as and OLB.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 04:58 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Oh, I know. I think the Steelers would be fine if they used a Cover 2 but I don't think Tomlin is looking to switch to the Tampa 2 any time soon especially after the players he drafted this year, specifically LaMarr Woodley, who they have said will be used as and OLB.
LaMarr Woodley could very easily become a Tampa 2 end, and Lawrence Timmons fits the bill of a Tampa 2 LB very well. They probably won't switch this year or maybe even next year, but the personnel they drafted in April doesn't neccessarily indicate that they plan to stick with a base 3-4 for a long time.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:52 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Roller View Post
I can see a Hybrid...a little of both. However, i think they would be more successful with 34 because of their personell.
Think Baltimore's style of defense and thats what your likely to see next year.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:53 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
who knows. tomlin might (yes might), revolutionize and start a 3-4 cover two trend.

or they might just say, wtf, we'll switch to 4-3 because it's sooooo awesome. they won't have the personnel to do it for at least two years. look at how long its taken san francisco to do it? dallas?

but this is the same pgh we're talking about...

Cover 2 is only a coverage. We ran the cover 2 alot last year with Smith and Polamalu back in deep coverage.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:18 AM    (permalink
tom
Veteran

tom smells like sex panther.tom smells like sex panther.

This is insane... why would we completely modify our D?

Think about it, we get two new linebackers in rounds 1 and 2, one in the mold of porter, one in the mold of farrior. We re-sign Aaron Smith to a huge contract, and he wouldn't be an effective player in 4-3... we paid the guy cause he's ideal for the system we'll run. And don't get me started on the safeties... Troy would go to waste in the cover two. This is a guy that should roam the field. Casey Hampton is purely a NT. He'd be good in any system, but he's great in the 3-4. Haggans and Foote are up and comers. Smith has been impressive for a 2nd year player at FS, and Ike is built for coverage... No chance we change the system
Old 05-27-2007, 09:34 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
LaMarr Woodley could very easily become a Tampa 2 end, and Lawrence Timmons fits the bill of a Tampa 2 LB very well. They probably won't switch this year or maybe even next year, but the personnel they drafted in April doesn't neccessarily indicate that they plan to stick with a base 3-4 for a long time.
Yea they definitely did add some players who fit well into the tampa 2 like Timmons (OLB), Woodley (OLB), and McBean (as a DT fits the bill well). But they have a lot of other guys who don't really look like ideal tampa 2 guys. They could possibly succeed, but Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, and Brent Keisel look like awkward fits. Their top 3 corners (McFadden, Taylor, Colclough) aren't as solid against the run as you look for a tampa 2 CB to be. Clark Haggans and Jerome Harrison are solid rushers as 3-4 OLBs, but neither look to have the size to hold up at end or the ability to play tampa 2 OLB. Harrison could possibly play SLB in the scheme but I don't really see it. They look to be built for a 3-4 and the rookies, even though they have tampa 2 potential, look to be good 3-4 guys as well.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:08 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Yea they definitely did add some players who fit well into the tampa 2 like Timmons (OLB), Woodley (OLB), and McBean (as a DT fits the bill well). But they have a lot of other guys who don't really look like ideal tampa 2 guys. They could possibly succeed, but Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, and Brent Keisel look like awkward fits. Their top 3 corners (McFadden, Taylor, Colclough) aren't as solid against the run as you look for a tampa 2 CB to be. Clark Haggans and Jerome Harrison are solid rushers as 3-4 OLBs, but neither look to have the size to hold up at end or the ability to play tampa 2 OLB. Harrison could possibly play SLB in the scheme but I don't really see it. They look to be built for a 3-4 and the rookies, even though they have tampa 2 potential, look to be good 3-4 guys as well.
Aaron Smith would be a good UT to pair next to Hampton. As would McBean.

Casey Hampton, I don't know why everyone thinks in a 4-3 he'd be useless, he's a hold the point run plugger, with another guy on the line, thats less Double teams, he's athletic enough to get into the backfield.

Brett Keisel put up great stats in a 3-4 as a part time Passrusher from the RDE spot. I think he could be an Aaron Schobel like pass rusher, not the great Physical aspect, but the non-stop motor.

Which is likely what it will look at during times Woodley comes up from LB to put his hand down...

At which Timmons/Harrison will be WLB, Foote will be MLB and Farrior SLB.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:27 AM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
Casey Hampton, I don't know why everyone thinks in a 4-3 he'd be useless, he's a hold the point run plugger, with another guy on the line, thats less Double teams, he's athletic enough to get into the backfield.

I agree with this whole heartedly. Casey Hampton would do a lot of damage on the linein either a 4-3 or a 3-4.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.
Komp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 11:58 AM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Lawrence Timmons was underrated as a 3-4 OLB prospect. I thought he was one of the best 3-4 OLB prospects besides Jarvis Moss in the draft. The personnel the Steelers have at LB is intriguing because it allows them a great deal of versitility. At LB I don't see any problem for them going from 3-4 to 4-3, but the secondary and D-Line just aren't built for that system.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:52 PM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

alot of their success comes from running the 3-4, why change it?
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:48 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunningham06 View Post
Lawrence Timmons was underrated as a 3-4 OLB prospect. I thought he was one of the best 3-4 OLB prospects besides Jarvis Moss in the draft. The personnel the Steelers have at LB is intriguing because it allows them a great deal of versitility. At LB I don't see any problem for them going from 3-4 to 4-3, but the secondary and D-Line just aren't built for that system.
Secondary doesn't change? We run a Zone Coverage... In a Tampa2 it would still be a zone coverage.

As for DL...

DL (L to R): Aaron Smith - Casey Hampton - Brett Keisel
LB (L to R): LaMarr Woodley - James Farrior - Larry Foote - James Harrison
DB (L to R): Ike Taylor - Troy Polamalu - Anthony Smith - Bryant McFadden

4-3:

DL (L to R): LaMarr Woodley - Aaron Smith - Casey Hampton - Brett Keisel
LB (L to R): James Farrior - Larry Foote - James Harrison

Brett Keisel is an underrated pass rusher and he's going to be a weapon to keep your eye on.

Aaron Smith fits the UT position perfectly.

Woodley is a perfect Tampa2 DE. He's more complete than Dwight Freeney. Freeney sells out for the QB, Woodley actually plays the run as well as rush the passer.

Hampton is one of the best NT's in the NFL, I don't get why people think he's limited to a 3-4, I think he might even be more of a beast in a 4-3 where he has less double teams.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:14 PM    (permalink
DaBears9654
Rookie

DaBears9654 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I personally think, in the zone blitz, the Steelers run the perfect scheme for the 3-4 formation. I also agree with what diabsoule mentioned about how you could get away with a cover 2 3-4. The scheme I think would be poorest in combination with this formation would be the 2 deep, man under. I know teams that use this formation almost always rush at least 1 linebacker, but that is pretty well how you would have to do it with that scheme/formation combination; otherwise, your man-to-man cover men would outnumber the eligible receivers 6-5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ditka
The common misconception is that Cover 2 only refers to the Tampa 2.
That's because, at least it seems, it's the most common variety of the cover 2.

NFC North right ends are shaking in their cleats.

Or @ least they had better be.
DaBears9654 is offline   Reply With Quote