Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:11 PM    (permalink
Namy
Veteran

Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but the NFL can implement whatever rules they want. If the players don't like it, then they can just quit. The league has had a struggle with public image recently, and alcohol can definitely be a catalyst for many of the ill decisions that these players make. Is it wrong for the NFL to try to ban alcohol from team sponsored events (NOT the player's personal time). It's NOT TOO strict by any means; in fact, it's a whole lot more professional. Drinking alcohol on the job is not allowed in most occupations, so I don't know what the big hairy deal is really.

Projected win total: 55+
Namy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:24 PM    (permalink
Scar
Rookie

Scar hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Implementing a clueless policy doesn't exactly aid in the league's image as a competent organization. Sure, this policy might sound good on the surface, but wait until it they try and apply it. In the best case scenario, it will be regarded as pointless.
Scar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:27 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
cause Goodell is being a hairy little vag.

Just let people do whatever they want. Its not a problem, so no need to make random ass rules just for no reason.
I'm sorry did you just advocate for anarchy ? ...so if I went over and did something completely stupid and riddiculous that caused harm to yourself or a member of your family, then nothing should be done ???

This is perhaps your pinnacle of lunacy.

Rules are in place for a reason. Whether you like them or agree with them or not. They're almost always to benefit the greater good. Not the whinning minority who won't conform because it isn't "cool".
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar View Post
This is an idiotic policy. It isn't the team or league sponsored events where these guys have been getting wasted or out of control. It's been when these guys are off on their own time with their own friends that they've been getting into trouble. This policy does NOTHING to address that issue.
Might want to re-read it again there sporto, the policy only
is in effect for team sponsored events and pre/post game events.
Personal time isn't infringed upon. Get over it.

Quote:
But hey, now the guys can all enjoy a post-game San Diego to New England flight without the benefit of getting to throw back a beer or two to ease the aches and pains they just collected while earning the league millions upon millions of dollars earlier that afternoon. Excellent work, Mr. Commish!
If they can't unwind without the "beer or two" (while taking a few hour flight) then there's a larger problem than winning or losing the game to them. And did you bother to read the article and get an understanding of all that's involved here ?? The PLAYERS...let me say that again...the PLAYERS themselves jumped aboard this and signed on.
So why do you have a bigger issue with this than the people that are actually affected by this ?
Old 06-01-2007, 12:38 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Quote:
The problem I have with this rule is that it's a slap in the face of players who drink responsibly.
Exactly how is this the case ?
Treating them like any other employee in this country is hardly reason
to grandstand and make a deal out of this....especially when there has yet to be a single player to speak out against this "rule".

Quote:
It's treating them like children to tell them that they can't have a glass of wine or a beer on a cross country flight after a game.
hahahahahaha. Wow.
So, then to you, the ONLY way one can be an "adult" is to throw down booze after a game ??? great reasoing there.

Quote:
So much for kicking back to relax after working hard all afternoon for the league's benefit. Of all the black eyes the league has received, how much of it has occurred because of something that happened while the players were at a team event? Hardly anything.
Congrats, you've hit the nail on the head. The league has now taken a stance BEFORE anything major has happened. NOW the league is free from
any future lawsuits that might've taken place had an "athlete" or team official gotten plastered at an event and plowed his SUV into a family on their vacation. Kudo's to the league to taking PREVENTATIVE MEASURES.
In this country far to few companies take the initiative to actually try and stop players from killing themselves or others.

Quote:
It's when the irresponsible players are off on their own, not already being chaperoned because team officials know they're trouble, that all the incidents happen.
The league frowns upon those players and incidents too. But they're not contributing to the # of incidents by supplying the venue and the means to get stupper'd up and then send them home in a #3000 vehicle that can travel upwards and over 90MPH.

Quote:
It's this policy that is missing the point.
You have yet to make a reasonable logical or substantiated point.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:38 PM    (permalink
SubNoize
Veteran

SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with the ban as being an employer's right to control the actions of it's employees. The one thing I thought of when I heard this though, is that the NFL has an official beer in Coors, so they're banning a product that in turn they're helping endorse. To me this seems a little hypocritical unless they break their sponsorship w/ Coors.
SubNoize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubNoize View Post
I agree with the ban as being an employer's right to control the actions of it's employees. The one thing I thought of when I heard this though, is that the NFL has an official beer in Coors, so they're banning a product that in turn they're helping endorse. To me this seems a little hypocritical unless they break their sponsorship w/ Coors.
They're not banning players from drinking. Players can still have a Coors (or beer of choice) on their time away from the team. So I don't think it's hypocritical at all.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:57 PM    (permalink
SubNoize
Veteran

SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

but that's the players time... on NFL time, the company that has the sponsorship, players can't indulge, which if I were Coors I'd take this into consideration. Obviously we don't see the players drinking on the field, but I mean the message coming across is that "We don't want our players indulging in alcohol because it has potential dangers, but hey we don't mind if you the consumers partake in alcohol consumption at our games."
Old 06-01-2007, 12:59 PM    (permalink
Scar
Rookie

Scar hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Very simply put, this policy does nothing on on it's own. The league is well within their legal rights to establish policies that mandate players represent the league in a professional manner while on their own time. Don't believe me? Those of you with better jobs than running the cash register at the Citgo station might want to go check your employee handbooks and that slew of documents you signed off on when you took your jobs.
All of the player behavior problems are occurring when the players are away from team and league events. This policy does nothing to address player behavior while away from the team. That is why it is totally absurd to put a policy in place to further control an already controlled and maintained environment. If coupled with stronger away from the team regulations, I'd have no issue with it. As is, it's garbage.

It is a policy which only stops responsible players from doing something they do responsibly while allowing irresponsible players to continue their irresponsible acts.

Speaking of hypocrisy, do you think the league is going ban beer sales at stadiums and drinking while tailgating? How about the aforementioned Coors sponsorship? Wouldn't want to think the league is condoning drunk driving by it's fans, would we?

Last edited by Scar : 06-01-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Scar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:12 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Very simply put, this policy does nothing on on it's own. The league is well within their legal rights to establish policies that mandate players represent the league in a professional manner while on their own time. Don't believe me? Those of you with better jobs than running the cash register at the Citgo station might want to go check your employee handbooks and that slew of documents you signed off on when you took your jobs.
All of the player behavior problems are occurring when the players are away from team and league events. This policy does nothing to address player behavior while away from the team. That is why it is totally absurd to put a policy in place to further control an already controlled and maintained environment. If coupled with stronger away from the team regulations, I'd have no issue with it. As is, it's garbage.

Speaking of hypocrisy, do you think the league is going ban beer sales at stadiums and drinking while tailgating? How about the aforementioned Coors sponsorship? Wouldn't want to think the league is condoning drunk driving by it's fans, would we?
Didn't they ban glass bottles from Cleveland?

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:33 PM    (permalink
tom
Veteran

tom smells like sex panther.tom smells like sex panther.

People are acting as if Drinking alcohol is a privilage! It's not, it's a right!!!

If players want to drink, then they should be able to drink... alcohol is legal, so anybody who says that you can't drink is taking your civil rights away... this is almost as bad as people being jailed in guantanamo.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:40 PM    (permalink
SubNoize
Veteran

Nowhere near the same, this is a hippie ACLU vag statement. Your employer has the right to do whatever they deem fit to promote a safe and practical work environment. If this means ridding lockerooms and events of booze to prevent dumb ass athletes from trying to "make it rain" on female reporters, or make idiotic statements then so be it.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:06 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubNoize View Post
but that's the players time... on NFL time, the company that has the sponsorship, players can't indulge, which if I were Coors I'd take this into consideration. Obviously we don't see the players drinking on the field, but I mean the message coming across is that "We don't want our players indulging in alcohol because it has potential dangers, but hey we don't mind if you the consumers partake in alcohol consumption at our games."
This is all under the assumption that the beer companies actually care about the people who consume their product though...they don't.

IMO, Coors might have a problem if the league came down and took a stance against drinking altogether. The Beer companies themselves market their product under the blanket known as "responsible drinking"...the NFL taking a more responsible role could only further their marketing campaign to push their product under the same blanket

...ie "Even the NFL knows realizes our product can be enjoyed under appropriate "responsible" conditions."
Again, the NFL isn't "bitting the hand that feeds" it's simply eleviating potential lawsuits and another (and much larger) black eye...should something happen. Honestly it's probably a small miracle that nothing (involving these types of events and say a serious crash, especially involving an innocent party) has happened.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:20 PM    (permalink
SubNoize
Veteran

No, doubt I actually re-evaluated this, and I was thinking that even alcohol companies don't want their employees drinking on the job, and that it's not hypocritical to endorse something and ban it from worksite at the same time, it's just promoting responsible consumption on your own time.