Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Steve Smith or Craig Davis?
Craig Davis 29 42.65%
Steve Smith 39 57.35%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2007, 10:46 PM    (permalink
BPSL-Baller

Default Steve Smith (rookie) or Craig Davis?

I thought that Steve Smith was better, but apparently the chargers thought otherwise.

They are kind of similar, so I was just wondering who you all think is going to be better?
Old 05-31-2007, 10:47 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Davis more. And its not because I'm not a Giants fan
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:25 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Craig Davis has a lot more upside, and overall I like him more than Steve Smith, who I dont think is as fast as his 40 indicates and I dont know that his game will translate to the NFL, I still think about the Keary Colbert comparison...But I think about it and I remember Steve Smith would always manage to get behind team's defenses...I always attributed it to good route running and just kind of sneaking behind the defense, but maybe I never gave him enough credit for his speed. And lets face it, speed is the big question mark when it comes to Steve Smith because we know he's smart player who runs great routes and has reliable hands, but for a guy like him who isnt very big or physical to make it in the NFL as a starter, he's gonna need to have some speed.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:32 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't be surprised if, 3 years from now, we're talking about Steve Smith as the better receiver. But I think Davis will be more productive for the next two seasons, at least, by virtue of his situation.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:46 PM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPSL-Baller View Post
I thought that Steve Smith was better, but apparently the chargers thought otherwise.

They are kind of similar, so I was just wondering who you all think is going to be better?
SD probably didn't draft Steve Smith because they already have a similar player like that in Eric Parker who runs good routes, had reliable hands(except in last year's playoff run), and had a 4.4 speed.
Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:15 AM    (permalink
BPSL-Baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if, 3 years from now, we're talking about Steve Smith as the better receiver. But I think Davis will be more productive for the next two seasons, at least, by virtue of his situation.
both of them should have the opportunity to get an ample amount of playing time
Old 06-01-2007, 09:28 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
SD probably didn't draft Steve Smith because they already have a similar player like that in Eric Parker who runs good routes, had reliable hands(except in last year's playoff run), and had a 4.4 speed.
I agree, and I think because he'll see so much of the field in such a succesful system within the NFL Craig Davis will be the better reciever out of the two.

San Diego still reached.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:33 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

both ran fast 40s but only Davis plays at that speed, and he is in a better system at San Diego, that will help him.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:37 AM    (permalink
VYTitans

personally I think that Steve Smith will have a better career, because he runs precise routes, has really reliable hands, and while some people say his 40 time doesn't represent his speed reliably I believe that it is spot on, because while at USC he always found his way behind the defense and made some amazing catches. This isn't to say that Craig Davis will have an unsuccessful career, because I believe that he has the same abilities, just he will require a little more time to become successful.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:57 AM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Steve Smith. although Craig Davis might have better stats this season.

The Giants recievers have the potentail of going from crap to great in just 1 year.

last year all we had was Plaxico and Tim Carter

This year we got

Plaxico Burress
Amani Toomer (injured half of last year)
Steve Smith
Sinorice Moss (essentially a rookie cause he missed all of last year except 3 games)
'

scary huh?
Old 06-01-2007, 11:01 AM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post

The Giants recievers have the potentail of going from crap to great in just 1 year.

This year we got

Plaxico Burress
Steve Smith
Sinorice Moss (essentially a rookie cause he missed all of last year except 3 games)
'

scary huh?
No, not really... If you start press coverage on Plax, then he'll get frustrated if he can't break it. Toomer is on the down side of his career, and the other guys are essentially rookies like you said.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:02 AM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!
ricky bobby hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VYTitans View Post
personally I think that Steve Smith will have a better career, because he runs precise routes, has really reliable hands, and while some people say his 40 time doesn't represent his speed reliably I believe that it is spot on, because while at USC he always found his way behind the defense and made some amazing catches. This isn't to say that Craig Davis will have an unsuccessful career, because I believe that he has the same abilities, just he will require a little more time to become successful.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Steve Smith probably won't be a #1 option, but he'll be a solid, solid #2 outlet for Eli Manning throughout his career.
ricky bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:38 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

GRF, the Giants don't have a top 10 WR. I'll name theten better than Plax before you cry. Steve Smith, Chad Johnson, Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, Roy Williams, Anquan Boldin, Larry Ftizgerald, T.O. So they can't be great without one top 10 nevermind 2 top 30, 3 top 50.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:35 PM    (permalink
tom
Veteran

tom smells like sex panther.tom smells like sex panther.

I voted for Craig David!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1bTqfbXnZs
Old 06-01-2007, 03:00 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
GRF, the Giants don't have a top 10 WR. I'll name theten better than Plax before you cry. Steve Smith, Chad Johnson, Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, Roy Williams, Anquan Boldin, Larry Ftizgerald, T.O. So they can't be great without one top 10 nevermind 2 top 30, 3 top 50.
yes plax isnt a top 10 reciver but he is defintley atleast a top 20 reciver idk how you think he isnt even in the top 50

but on topic as a giant fan i wanted davis more but i think smith will be little bit more succesful
Old 06-01-2007, 03:01 PM    (permalink
Phrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
No, not really...
Wheres a rolling head when you need one?
Old 06-01-2007, 03:01 PM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VYTitans View Post
That's another thing that Craig Davis shares with Steve Smith.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
I agree, and I think because he'll see so much of the field in such a succesful system within the NFL Craig Davis will be the better reciever out of the two.

San Diego still reached.
SD needed a wide receiver. Who else could they get at that position? Dwayne Jarret? We already have two of those types of receiver in Vincent Jackson and Malcolm Floyd.
I suppose we could have picked Weddle, but there's no guarantee that Davis would have been there at the end of the second round. I think I heard that Indy was high on him, which makes sense since they did end up picking Gonzales two rounds after our pick. So it's not a reach if SD got Davis before the other team did.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:39 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Smith better by a smidge. Smart WR's ussually seem to do good in the NFL. Not saying Davis is stupid though. I think they'll both turnout pretty well

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:57 PM    (permalink
cheesehead10790
Veteran

cheesehead10790 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

They will both be just "good" wr IMO. Smith woulda be a bigger name coming out of SC if he hadnt been overshadowed by Jarrett. Neither will be a star but I think Smith has the better chance.

^tek
cheesehead10790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:34 PM    (permalink
dcarey20
Pro Bowler

dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.

Steve Smith for me, rather easily. I had him as a 40-45 range talent, and Davis as a 60-65 talent. I'll take Steve Smith's crisp route running, great hands, ability to find holes in defense, and speed over Craig Davis' big play ability any day. Davis was extremely overdrafted and I was truly shocked to see someone use a 1st rounder on him.

If you had asked this question before the draft, everyone would have said Steve Smith. Now, because Craig Davis got drafted 30th overall, alot of people are showing support for him. I'm not buying into it, and I still firmly believe he was the worst pick of the 1st round, and one of the worst of the entire draft.

Last edited by dcarey20 : 06-01-2007 at 04:38 PM.
dcarey20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:42 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarey20 View Post
If you had asked this question before the draft, everyone would have said Steve Smith. Now, because Craig Davis got drafted 30th overall, alot of people are showing support for him.
That's not necessarily true.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:21 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post

This year we got

Plaxico Burress
Steve Smith
'

scary huh?
ITd be scary if they had someone to throw the ball to them.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:34 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd choose Steve Smith

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:35 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Philip Rivers vs. Eli Manning.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote