Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:29 AM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

I think Pennington is going to have a really good season if he can healthy. The Jets also now at least on paper have a run game, something that was absent last year (many occasions the Jets resorted to QB sneaking with Pennington to get 3 yards, not even kidding).
Old 05-14-2007, 04:13 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingdonnie View Post
Pats: 15-1
Jets: 9-7
Dolphins: 6-10
Bills: 5-11

The only game I see the pats losing is the colts matchup or the early chargers grudge match. There is just simply too much talent and with such great coaching, the only team that will beat the pats, is their own.

The Jets are a solid team.... But all they can hope for is a wildcard at best, they don't have the talent to make a deep run, and Bellichick still outcoaches the Mangenius for now.

The Dolphins, I don't know what to make of them, I think they will be sub-par, and lose a lot of games they could win. The lack of a QB is going to hurt these guys a lot. If injuries stack up, ouch these guys are a top 5 draft pick winner.

The Bills are in complete rebuilding mode. They know this and anyone with half a brain does too. They are probably aiming for a Top 15 draft pick at best this year. Don't expect anything more than 7 wins, which would be a great accomplishment for them in my mind.
Due to injuries and underperforming last year, our RB and LB, seen as two of our biggest losses, can actually be better this year. Even losing Nate, our pass defense was top 10 last year and might not be as troubled as some think (not saying I don't have my worries there). While we'll have some new young starters, I don't think we should regress really. Losman and the offense could have a fine year. Our coaches are nothing to overlook either, they can certainly make some things happen. I don't see us as the cellar team, or to be discounted from the 2nd spot.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:34 AM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Who is going to be the starting QB for the Dolphins?
Old 05-15-2007, 11:35 AM    (permalink
Bengals1690
Veteran

Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
Who is going to be the starting QB for the Dolphins?
Bring on the Cleo era!! woot!

is daunte healthy yet? Are they getting trent green? It all depends on these questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbusta View Post
i love my pedestal. thats why im the mythbusta.
who dey?
Bengals1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:40 AM    (permalink
reese

i hope we dont get trent green...he is old and while i kno for the past few years he has put up some of the best numbers in the league, he didnt play very well after his injury last year. id rather take my chance with a 30 y/o dante then a 30 y/o trent
Old 06-03-2007, 05:03 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Severe bumpage AFCE fans!

I feel like knowing how the division rivals feel about Bills players in comparison to others in the division. Try to avoid answering the ones that involve players from your team, or at least answering obnoxiously.

Jason Peters or D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Angelo Crowell or Channing Crowder
Lee Evans or Randy Moss
Terrence McGee or Justin Miller (KR)
JP Losman or Chad Pennington
Craig Nall or Tom Brady
Terrence McGee or Will Allen
Rian Lindell or Mike Nugent
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:35 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My AFC East guesses as of now:

1. New England Patriots

If they aren't a playoff team, I think everyone will be stunned, considering all the positive vibes coming out of there. If they aren't an elite team, I think a lot of people will be stunned. This certainly isn't a "perfect" squad by any means, but they are real, real good. Instead of accentuating the positives, let's focus on the concerns.

Offensively, will they muster a strong enough running game? They did lose Dillon, who for all his faults, was dependable. Can Laurence Maroney pick up the slack? Can the backups form a capable unit? I wouldn't be surprised if Justise Hairston ends up playing a bigger role than people suspect. How's the OL, though? It's a very dependable unit, but it suffered lapses at times last year. I expect to see a lot of passing to the TE's, and they will be critical. Why? With all the downfield potential now, they may have a lot of opportunities across the middle. Can Ben Watson be consistent? Can David Thomas improve? Finally, there's the whole Randy Moss and behavior thing.

Defensively, I think one thing that gets little pub is that DL injuries in recent years have caused a lot of stress of the unit. The unfortunate passing of Marquise Hill means others have opportunities, and the Pats need them to step up. The LB unit should be real solid, although depth is still a concern, along with how they will cover for Bruschi's declining abilities. I really like that Rogers kid. The improvement of James Sanders and the addition of Brandon Meriweather address concerns at safety. They know how to use their CB talent, and the return of a guy like Randall Guy should help.

All in all, this wasn't meant to knock them. There are concerns, though.

2. New York Jets

Unfortunately, big brother in New England made it so that the Jets offseason seemed tame. The reality is, they had themselves a very solid offseason, and should, under Mangini, contend for a playoff spot again. The right side of the offensive line still worries me a bit for some reason, and their TE options aren't dynamic enough. That said, the addition of Jones solidifies the run game and offers Chad Pennington a lot more options. The key may be the continued development of Cotchery.

Defensively, they are probably another offseason away from having better fits. That said, Mangini is a good schemer. Adding Revis and Harris addresses two key areas, and if they develop, that'll be big. The secondary could be strong, and Harris could help VIlma out a lot, depending on his growth. I'm still not in love wiht the DL rotation, but it is capable-solid, and I still think they lack a strong enough pass rush in terms of individual talent rather than scheming.

That said, this is a good Jets squad, and they should be in the push for a playoff spot.

3. Buffalo Bills

I love Marshawn Lynch, and as I thought pre-draft, I think he will be an excellent fit for that offense. While they overspent on their OL, their OL should be better. I am a bit concerned about the receiving options, as I don't see that TE to offer a safety valve, and I am not sold on the WR options to free up Evans. Defensively, another year in the system in of itself should help a lot. The secondary should get better, and the LB talent should be solid. There's solid depth, it seems. Whether or not Losman continues to improve may determine how many steps they take.

All in all, this team is headed in the right direction, but is in a tough division. It wouldn't surprise me if they ended up 2nd, but in all likelihood, they are probably a year away from a serious playoff push.

4. Miami Dolphins

As time passed, I grew more comfortable with their draft. I didn't have an issue with them passing on Quinn, just wasn't a big fan of the Ginn Jr. pick. As for the upcoming campaign, I'm very curious about that OL. Seems to be question mark on paper. Will David Martin and the other TE's provide a consistent target? Will Hagan or Ginn Jr. step up at WR to open up the offense? Can Ronnie Brown finally be the man? How will the mesh of young and old DL talent work? Will enough guys step up and will the old DL have enough stamina? The secondary looks alright. I like Cameron, so I think they are headed in the right direction, but the AFC East is once again one of the stronger divisions and it may take a year or two to work up the charts.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:38 AM    (permalink
luckyjackaubrey
Veteran

Location: South Jersey via Nantucket thru Presque Isle with future considerations
luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't see where you get the theme of injuries on the DL for the Pats from. Seymour hurt his elbow and missed no time. Warren played every game and Wilfork played in 13. that is 3 games lost total. On the bench Jarvis Green in arguably the best DE in the league not starting and Mike Wright is a great backup, special teams contributor. Marquise Hill (rest his soul) was active for 4 games the whole season and although I don't have the numbers at my disposal I almost surley recall that the number was no higher last year. He was a non-contributor. High draft pick, lots of promise, no fruition.

The d-line is not an issue in NE.
luckyjackaubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:45 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyjackaubrey View Post
I can't see where you get the theme of injuries on the DL for the Pats from. Seymour hurt his elbow and missed no time. Warren played every game and Wilfork played in 13. that is 3 games lost total. On the bench Jarvis Green in arguably the best DE in the league not starting and Mike Wright is a great backup, special teams contributor. Marquise Hill (rest his soul) was active for 4 games the whole season and although I don't have the numbers at my disposal I almost surley recall that the number was no higher last year. He was a non-contributor. High draft pick, lots of promise, no fruition.

The d-line is not an issue in NE.
Are you telling me that you are comfortable with the depth of the DL, arguably the most critical aspect in the 3-4, if, say, Richard Seymour or Ty Warren goes down? Scheming may be able to cover statistically, but, for example, when Seymour was banged up in 2005, I think most acknowledged that the line struggled at times. Now, Ty Warren took a step forward last year, and that makes it a bigger threat, but if I'm the Pats, I'd be somewhat worried if I one of my starting ends went down, increasing the PT for depth guys, whether it be Mike Wright, Kareem Brown, or whoever fills out the chart.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:48 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

Hey toonsterwu. With arguably an addition of a run game for the Jets, what kind of numbers do you see Pennington putting up this year? You think he will start all 16 games?
Old 06-05-2007, 12:57 PM    (permalink
luckyjackaubrey
Veteran

Location: South Jersey via Nantucket thru Presque Isle with future considerations
luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It is the NFL. I don't get to have a bevy of all-pro bench guys. If I lose one of those guys I am going to suffer a drop in play. Injuries happen and I don't expect to have quality depth at every spot. You simply can't afford it with the cap.

You can play "what if ?", with every team at every position can't you ? Am I worried if Brady takes a hit like Trent Green and leaves me with Matt Cassel or Vinny ? Hell yes !

If your point is that Marquise Hill (again, Rest in peace) was viewed by the general NFLDC fan as an asset, you aren't a regular follower of the team. HE didn't sniff the field in his time here. Great guy, came out early and never developed to the point of warranting any playing time - And there was opportunity.

They talked to Sam Adams last week, but he either wanted more $$ or more playing time than the Pats can put on the table. In today's NFL you don't have a deep bench if you have a high quality front line starter. It doesn't make financial sense. If you do have an example , I bet that team would be better served using the $$ to shore up a spot that is weak all-around.
luckyjackaubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:00 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
Hey toonsterwu. With arguably an addition of a run game for the Jets, what kind of numbers do you see Pennington putting up this year? You think he will start all 16 games?
I don't know if he'll start 16 games. I mean ... I hope he can, but with his history ... you are hoping that the OL can continue to get better and lessen the hits he takes. Because if Chad's out, this team would be waiting on 08 in all likelihood.

But if Chad is healthy, I think he could put up big numbers. You look at the last time that Chad had a lead back, and he was having a huge year (2004). Thomas Jones allows him to play action and for it to become a legitimate threat. If he can be more consistent on the deep balls (and yeah, that's a big if), they could really incorporate a stronger vertical attack than they did last year, allowing for a more diversified offense. Add in the experience Leon Washington gained, and the RB depth is something to feel comfortable about.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:07 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyjackaubrey View Post
It is the NFL. I don't get to have a bevy of all-pro bench guys. If I lose one of those guys I am going to suffer a drop in play. Injuries happen and I don't expect to have quality depth at every spot. You simply can't afford it with the cap.

You can play "what if ?", with every team at every position can't you ? Am I worried if Brady takes a hit like Trent Green and leaves me with Matt Cassel or Vinny ? Hell yes !

If your point is that Marquise Hill (again, Rest in peace) was viewed by the general NFLDC fan as an asset, you aren't a regular follower of the team. HE didn't sniff the field in his time here. Great guy, came out early and never developed to the point of warranting any playing time - And there was opportunity.

They talked to Sam Adams last week, but he either wanted more $$ or more playing time than the Pats can put on the table. In today's NFL you don't have a deep bench if you have a high quality front line starter. It doesn't make financial sense. If you do have an example , I bet that team would be better served using the $$ to shore up a spot that is weak all-around.
Not sure how long you've been on the boards, but yes, I have followed the Pats for a long time, due to living in Boston for awhile.

It's got nothing to do with Marquise Hill, although there were positive improvements on him last year. It was easy to forget how young he was, and the reports indicated he was taking the right steps. RIP.

But no, it's got nothing to do with Marquise Hill. It has more to do with the general depth, as the 3-4 is keyed off the line. And I'm not sure if you read my post anyways - I said I thought the Pats would be an elite team in the NFL, and I only have 1 team as an elite team in the NFL at this moment in time.

But, there's been moments in the last two years when you watch the Pats games, even if they were statistically covered, where the Pats DL has struggled when injuries happened. And considering the decline in skills at the LB position, a lot of responsibility is put up there.

Again, I wonder if you read my first post though. I made it fairly clear that I was nitpicking and that I thought the Pats were an elite team in this league, and as of now, they are the only team that I feel is elite.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:22 PM    (permalink
jkb528
Rookie

jkb528 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Patriots 13-3
Jets 9-7
Bills 7-9
Dolphins 5-11

The Pats are obviously the cream of the crop in the division, if not the entire NFL, with all the talent they stockpiled in the offseason and if they dont win the division, I'll be shocked. The Jets improved during the offseason, but with the AFC East having a brutal schedule, I think that they might take a step back and may or may not make the playoffs. The Bills certainly got much younger, but they still have a few holes, especially defensively. I'll be interested to see how the offense play's in the second year of Fairchild's system, and if J.P. Losman continues to improve, they could challenge the Jets for #2 and perhaps make a playoff push next year. Again, the AFC East's tough schedule will probably keep Buffalo from finishing any better than 8-8. Miami really has too many uncertainties at this point to accurately try and predict. Trent Green? Daunte Culpepper? Cleo Lemon? Who knows...
jkb528 is offline   Reply With Quote