Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-01-2006, 05:01 PM    (permalink
Pack_Attack_4
Rookie

Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.

packers
Pack_Attack_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:07 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undying Homerism
packers
Um, no.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:16 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack_Attack_4
packers
its best not worst
Old 08-01-2006, 05:19 PM    (permalink
Raoul Duke

ha you put the browns up there lol i love our team btu no way are we even close
Old 08-01-2006, 05:42 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack_Attack_4
packers
weird that some packer fan had to say his team was the best at something... how long till they all stop by to agree?
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:44 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the Panthers stay healthy, they should be the best.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:50 PM    (permalink

I'm just suprised the Browns are on the list.

Actually if you give us another year or two (maybe 3) we may be legitly towards the top.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:09 PM    (permalink

Ravens are overrated.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:12 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots-Lions

They're Linebackers and Safeties aren't half as good as Chicago's.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:12 PM    (permalink

Quote:
1. Panthers
2. Bucs
3. NFC South is awesome
Old 08-01-2006, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Quote:
But when you get into the playoffs, where teams study tape more thoroughly and divise gameplans etc, Cover 2 lays a big egg. Only one Cover 2 team has not choked in the playoffs, and that was the year Tampa won the SB. Look at Cover 2 every other year, they always choked in the playoffs. This year alone, the Bears, Colts, and Bucs all choked in the playoffs.

The Bears defense in the playoffs this year gave up more yards than the Giants to the Panthers....and the Giants played that game with 4th string LBs...we were a walking bruise. Yet the Bears gave up more yards. What does that tell you?
It doesn't really tell you anything at all. The Bears had a bad game. The Bears also scored points on offense which forced the Panthers to continue passing the ball whereas the Giants laid big egg on the offensive side of the ball allowing the Panthers to more or less run the clock out in the 4th quarter.

As for the cover 2 choking in the playoffs, the 2002 Bucs team was not the only sucessful Bucs team. They almost made the Superbowl in 1999 as well. The cover 2 hasn't been around that long to judge it by those standards.
Thats not necessarily true. The Panthers came out scoring early and often. If you compare 1st half to 1st half, the Panthers put up way more yards against the bears, and the Bears didn't make it interesting until like halfway through the 2nd quarter.

I have nothing against the Bear's defensive players, I actually like the Bears, I enjoy rooting for the old school teams. I have a problem with the system. Even diehard bears fans will tell you theyre not really thrilled with the Cover 2. I know the days of the 46 Bear are gone, but a conventional 4-3 would be better imo. Even Urlacher himself said he doesn't particularly like Cover 2. I think he even said he hated it, but I'm not sure, so I won't say he did.

I think my main problem with Cover 2 is its vulnerability to power runners. Im a fan of old school football, and I cannot consider a defense the best if it has any type of vulnerability against the run. The best defense is a defense that can line it up and take on any running back any time any where. This game hasn't changed much. Its still all about running the ball and stopping the run. And if a defense is vulnerable to a certain run style, I simply cannot call it the best.

I know youre probably sick of hearing this, but take the Pitt game for example. When Chicago and Pitt both flexed their muscles, Pitt destroyed the Bears. That straight up muscle style will destroy Cover 2. Whereas a Pittsburgh for example, can line it up and muscle up against the Bears one week, then the next week spread it out and take on the Colts. They might not have the best statistical defense, but to me thats a better defense. Thats what I'm trying to say. Cover 2 has limitations. It cannot play man defense effectively, it cannot take on Big wide receivers in the vertical game, it has problems with power runners, has problems with big strong offensive lines, and its a simple playbook that will not surprise/confuse anybody which further limits its effectiveness in the postseason when teams are able to look at a year's worth of tape and dissect a defense and attack its tendencies. Cover 2 doesn't really have a counter strategy for this.
your wrong about it not being confusing, especially with the Bears. The Bears are considered one of the hardest teams to "read" on offense. They disguise their coverage better than 90% of the NFL. THey just had a bad game. This year i guarantee they will do better. But as to stopping the run, in Pitts did you notice the snow? The strength of our D-Line is to get upfield, and with the snow on the field they had problems doing that because they were sliding. Yes the Bus destroyed them, yes he ran over ppl. But id still say that on any other day without snow the Bears D wins.
Bearsfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:21 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms2Clayton
Quote:
1. Panthers
2. Bucs
3. NFC South is awesome
Until they play da Bears. They swept the South last year.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:41 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsfan123
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But when you get into the playoffs, where teams study tape more thoroughly and divise gameplans etc, Cover 2 lays a big egg. Only one Cover 2 team has not choked in the playoffs, and that was the year Tampa won the SB. Look at Cover 2 every other year, they always choked in the playoffs. This year alone, the Bears, Colts, and Bucs all choked in the playoffs.

The Bears defense in the playoffs this year gave up more yards than the Giants to the Panthers....and the Giants played that game with 4th string LBs...we were a walking bruise. Yet the Bears gave up more yards. What does that tell you?
It doesn't really tell you anything at all. The Bears had a bad game. The Bears also scored points on offense which forced the Panthers to continue passing the ball whereas the Giants laid big egg on the offensive side of the ball allowing the Panthers to more or less run the clock out in the 4th quarter.

As for the cover 2 choking in the playoffs, the 2002 Bucs team was not the only sucessful Bucs team. They almost made the Superbowl in 1999 as well. The cover 2 hasn't been around that long to judge it by those standards.
Thats not necessarily true. The Panthers came out scoring early and often. If you compare 1st half to 1st half, the Panthers put up way more yards against the bears, and the Bears didn't make it interesting until like halfway through the 2nd quarter.

I have nothing against the Bear's defensive players, I actually like the Bears, I enjoy rooting for the old school teams. I have a problem with the system. Even diehard bears fans will tell you theyre not really thrilled with the Cover 2. I know the days of the 46 Bear are gone, but a conventional 4-3 would be better imo. Even Urlacher himself said he doesn't particularly like Cover 2. I think he even said he hated it, but I'm not sure, so I won't say he did.

I think my main problem with Cover 2 is its vulnerability to power runners. Im a fan of old school football, and I cannot consider a defense the best if it has any type of vulnerability against the run. The best defense is a defense that can line it up and take on any running back any time any where. This game hasn't changed much. Its still all about running the ball and stopping the run. And if a defense is vulnerable to a certain run style, I simply cannot call it the best.

I know youre probably sick of hearing this, but take the Pitt game for example. When Chicago and Pitt both flexed their muscles, Pitt destroyed the Bears. That straight up muscle style will destroy Cover 2. Whereas a Pittsburgh for example, can line it up and muscle up against the Bears one week, then the next week spread it out and take on the Colts. They might not have the best statistical defense, but to me thats a better defense. Thats what I'm trying to say. Cover 2 has limitations. It cannot play man defense effectively, it cannot take on Big wide receivers in the vertical game, it has problems with power runners, has problems with big strong offensive lines, and its a simple playbook that will not surprise/confuse anybody which further limits its effectiveness in the postseason when teams are able to look at a year's worth of tape and dissect a defense and attack its tendencies. Cover 2 doesn't really have a counter strategy for this.
your wrong about it not being confusing, especially with the Bears. The Bears are considered one of the hardest teams to "read" on offense. They disguise their coverage better than 90% of the NFL. THey just had a bad game. This year i guarantee they will do better. But as to stopping the run, in Pitts did you notice the snow? The strength of our D-Line is to get upfield, and with the snow on the field they had problems doing that because they were sliding. Yes the Bus destroyed them, yes he ran over ppl. But id still say that on any other day without snow the Bears D wins.
I could be wrong since I didn't see every single game last year, only the national ones for the Bears, but what do they do thats so exotic? I noticed they pretty much rush the front 4 and drop everyone back, or they come with a blitz where they send the MIKE and WILL at the qb. I really didn't notice any zone blitzing. I noticed some line stunts, buts thats about it. An occasional safety blitz, but you saw it coming from a mile away. It seems like chaos because theyre so fast, but I personally didn't notice any exotic plays.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:47 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

'

Portis had a nice day against the bears D also. They have a problems with power running games.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:47 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms2Clayton
Quote:
1. Panthers
2. Bucs
3. NFC South is awesome
wow i love how you call everyone else a homer but youre one of the biggest on the site. how can you seriously think that your elderley defense is better than the bears, cowboys, redskins, ravens and a few other teams. theyre a top 10 defense but come on.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:01 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver
Quote:

They're Linebackers and Safeties aren't half as good as Chicago's.
Their LB aren't as good, but they're not that far behind either. Morgan is one of the most underrated players in the NFL and Keith Adams is a pretty solid player. I'm going to hold judgement on Chris Harris and Thomas Davis as they were rookies. But I don't think Harris/Brown are THAT much better than Minter/Williams. Also DL and CB are the most important parts of a defense, and Carolina beats Chicago in both those areas, although Chicago's DL isn't that far behind Carolina.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:39 PM    (permalink
Canadian_kid16
All-Pro

Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well it looks liek we have the third best D

Proud fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Somewhat proud fan of the Toronto Blue Jays
Yes, a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs as well
A fan of the USF Bulls
Canadian_kid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:41 PM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i dont know why anyone is voting aginst the bears, they had the best defense last year and until another defense dos better you cant go against them
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:43 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think the ravens are the best now that ray is back

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:47 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
It's not so much that Ray is back, so much as it's that he should be more free to do his job this year with the drafting of Ngata. I think the Ravens are definitely a top 10 D, but not the best. Maybe top 5. We'll see.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:52 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
It's not so much that Ray is back, so much as it's that he should be more free to do his job this year with the drafting of Ngata. I think the Ravens are definitely a top 10 D, but not the best. Maybe top 5. We'll see.
I really like there secondary too. There defense is put together very well.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:10 AM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson86
i dont know why anyone is voting aginst the bears, they had the best defense last year and until another defense dos better you cant go against them
Well you have got the:
a) Bucs fans in denile:
They had to start their starting D all season, where as the Bears starters got to sit out week 17 to prevent injury. Add a coach who wants to keep his job (Tice) and he destroys the 2nd and 3rd team players on the Bears defense. So Bucs fans can think what they want, when the Bears starters are in they are better, and proved to be better in their own scheme.

b) Homers

C) CAROLINA IS BEASTLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:46 AM    (permalink
Watchman
Veteran

Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearfan54
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson86
Well you have got the:
a) Bucs fans in denile:
They had to start their starting D all season, where as the Bears starters got to sit out week 17 to prevent injury. Add a coach who wants to keep his job (Tice) and he destroys the 2nd and 3rd team players on the Bears defense. So Bucs fans can think what they want, when the Bears starters are in they are better, and proved to be better in their own scheme.

b) Homers

C) CAROLINA IS BEASTLY
Maybe. As a Buc fan I can't say that they were the best D last year. I think they were and still will be in the cream of the crop this year along with Chicago, Pitt, and Carolina. Who's the best, beats the hell out of me, and I don't care. I saw what the Bucs did to the Skins in the playoffs and it was impressive despite the loss. Bears had a damn good D too, which is young, Carolina definitely has some scary players.

And for the "the Bucs D is old" crowd - I'll believe it when I see it because I've been hearing that for about 3 years now. At the end of the day I'm more concerned about the Bucs O than their D (I imagine Bears fans feel the same way).

The Bears remind me a lot of the Bucs of about 10 years ago, but slightly less talented overall.
Watchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:16 AM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylor21
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

'

Portis had a nice day against the bears D also. They have a problems with power running games.
^ that arguement annoys me. Yeah he rushed for some nice yards but in crunch time the D held strong. They didnt score a td, so Portis didnt get in the endzone, how is that a "nice day"?
Bearsfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:25 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylor21
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

'

^ that arguement annoys me. Yeah he rushed for some nice yards but in crunch time the D held strong. They didnt score a td, so Portis didnt get in the endzone, how is that a "nice day"?
Why would the truth annoy you? 21 carries for 121 yards sounds like a good day to me. And Betts had 12 carries for 41 yards. Thats roughly a 6 yard per carry avg for Portis, and roughly 4 ypc for Betts. Yu cannot correlate redzone offense with just the run. There are multiple factors for poor redzone execution. And while the ineptness of your offense was mostly the reason for the loss, you guys still lost the game. That has to count for something as well...even though I personally give the D a pass on that one.