Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:44 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Big Ben is little more than a game manager, he can't take a team on his back and throw his way to a victory if the run game isn't clicking or the defense isn't playing well. They run it down people's throats and play great defense in Pitt, Ben is just relied on for a few passes and he really only needs to avoid mistakes. I'll take Rivers or Eli over Roethlisberger any day of the week, Ben gets too much hype from ESPN, and the other two are better IMO. Between the two it's close but I like Rivers at this point, just personal preference I really think it's difficult to say one is better. We'll all get the answer down the road to who is the best of the three, I just don't think it's going to be Roethlisberger.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:44 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10
The Steelers did not win the Super Bowl because of Ben. Ben won the Super Bowl because of the Steelers.

Keep in mind that the best game out of a Steelers QB this season has come from the likes of Charlie Batch.

I want to avoid trashing Ben, but I can't let anyone get away with saying he is the best QB in this class.

but listen, however you look at it....

ben led them to 2 afc championships and a super bowl win, if he were as terrible as he was supposed to be that would not of been a problem...he faced manning in the playoffs and a denver team....so what you want, but a terrible qb doesnt come out a winner in those games i dont care how good the D or surrounding players were....that steelers D wasnt the greatest of all time, just solid, they didnt ask ben to do much, but he didnt make mistakes either.....

so like said, its hard to say either of the two are better until they go further.....rivers talk is pre mature, like bbd said he has played one good game, if he plays a bad one everyone will jump right off, eli has haters but shows he wins games in the clutch or when it counts, thats really all that matters.....i think he has to make an nfc champ game to make noise in this argument, eli has MORE then enough talent, and more talent then big ben had that year....he needs to go far in the playoffs, and take weight on his shoulder, peyton takes a team not as strong deep every year, eli has more talent to do that, he needs to take charge...

Ben hasnt showed he can lead a sub par team yet, so the verdicts still out, but right now it HAS to be....

1. Ben
2. Eli
3. Rivers

Sorry but i cannot put Ben last due to 4 bad games after all he's went through, and i cannot put rivers first due to one solid game....and i will not put eli up top over ben because ben when on his game doesnt make mistakes that cost his team, you guys might not think its important, but drew bledsoe's my teams qb so i know about that....

ive seen eli win so many games late in the game for a qb his age its crazy, you want you qb to have that, and know he has it early on, but he has to at least make an nfl champ game in the next 2 years with all that talent he has or he cannot go over ben...i dotn care what your name is, its tough to go to two afc champ games as a rookie and 2nd year qb, dont care who your qb is....

there have been a few who could pull it off with a solid team, but its tough regardless due to being so young and just learning the position...

i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:51 PM    (permalink
cgf

We all know that Big Ben has proven able to win big game with his steelers, but unlike Eli he has yet to show that he can win a game on his own.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:15 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ben hasn't "led" the Steelers in any regards. There is a standing mis-conception that "W-L" is directly related to a Quarterback, the postion lends itself to receiving more credit when things are going a-okay. The fact is; Roethlisberger hasn't "won" nearly as many games as other Quarterbacks. This season, the diapers came off, Ken Wisenhunt said that they will put the game in Ben's hands and it's failed miserably. The Steelers were better off with Charlie Batch.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:41 PM    (permalink
BUSTKUNTLAWL
Veteran

BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really really like Rivers.

I thought he would be the best QB out of those 3 when he got drafted and I still believe that right now.

He has that intangible that you can't point out but he has it.

Not to mention he's got all the physical tools.

He's going to be a big time QB for a while IMO.
BUSTKUNTLAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:46 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSTKUNTLAWL

I thought he would be the best QB out of those 3 when he got drafted and I still believe that right now.

When you say "that intangible".....what do you mean? Do you mean leading a team to vicotry late in the game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:48 PM    (permalink
cgf

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSTKUNTLAWL

When you say "that intangible".....what do you mean? Do you mean leading a team to vicotry late in the game?
He has an insanely fast release.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:49 PM    (permalink
Zim3031
Pro Bowler

Zim3031 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Rivers reminds so much of Bernie Kosar. He's even got the funky throwing motion to boot
Zim3031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:19 PM    (permalink
marks01234
Veteran

marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I got to say Rivers.

Big Ben is a great game manager and a guy who will do it all for his team to win. That being said, he isn't in Rivers or Eli league as a pure QB standpoint right now. It's like comparing Willie Parker to Tiki Barber. Yea, Parker has the SB ring and is very good but there is still no comparsion.

bigbluedefense, you like to point out how you want to see more of Rivers before rushing to call him the greatest. While, I agree with you in this regard - Rivers does need to substain this for a full season. But the same can and should be said about Eli. It wasn't to long ago that Eli was throwing 4 picks in the playoffs and making boneheaded decisions. Are you fully confident he has put all of those mistakes behind him?

As for comparing their O's. Eli plays in a much wilder open O that allows him to put up bigger numbers. I expect PR's #'s to go up significantly as better teams key on LT. Both guys have pretty bad OL's and while Gates and LT are upgrades over Barber and Shockey, Burress is a huge asset for a QB. Throw Toomer, and those two alone compensate for two or three Manning mistakes a game.
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:20 PM    (permalink
dcarey20
Pro Bowler

dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.

wow everyone is jumping on the rivers bandwagon now...i loved him at nc state i think he's the best. chargers are my second favorite team and i was so happy when they got him.

he can make all the throws, and he showed great poise against a defense that he had never seen before, a defense that gives you a lot of looks, and a defense that needed a win.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarey20
wow everyone is jumping on the rivers bandwagon now...i loved him at nc state i think he's the best. chargers are my second favorite team and i was so happy when they got him.

he can make all the throws, and he showed great poise against a defense that he had never seen before, a defense that gives you a lot of looks, and a defense that needed a win.

Dick LeBeau + Two weeks of preperation and game film and they still couldn't rattle him.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:23 PM    (permalink
dcarey20
Pro Bowler

dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarey20

Dick LeBeau + Two weeks of preperation and game film and they still couldn't rattle him.
it was awesome watching him finally get an oppurtunity to make some plays.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:28 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't understand how someone can call Ben a game managed and system qb and praise Rivers at the same time. Rivers is in the exact same situation Ben was for the last two years, you can't judge them differently. Ben is having a bad year and he isn't as good as many hyped him up to be yet, but he isn't getting enough credit for what he did for the Steelers last year. Ben won them 2 critical playoff games when their run game wasn't hot. He was doing more than managing the game against Indie and Denver. He played terrible in the Superbowl, but the Steelers would never have made the playoffs without Ben. If anything this year is demonstrating just how important Ben was to Steelers last year. I don't know why he is playing so poorly, but it isn't because he is really being asked to do anything more than he did last year.
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:03 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think Rivers will turn out to be the best. i'm not exactly sure why but it's just a gut feeling.

eli will be good but not great. he'll never reach the level of Peyton.

Big Ben will be the worst QB except for the win column. i'm not saying he'll be bad but he'll never be an allstar QB or a stat machine.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:40 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope
i think Rivers will turn out to be the best. i'm not exactly sure why but it's just a gut feeling.

Big Ben will be the worst QB except for the win column. i'm not saying he'll be bad but he'll never be an allstar QB or a stat machine.
I'll take "W"s and rings any-day over stats.

Who would you rather have Terry Bradshaw or Dan Marino.

Also, to all those who say Ben is nothing more than a game manager, so Eli or Phil is better because they actually win games for their teams...SHUT UP! So what? big deal he only game manager, what is his teams record when he is playing and when he is not? EXACTLY!

How many rings do Rivers and Manning have?...for that case how many rings does Peyton Manning, Trent Green, Carson Palmer have...uhhh 0, but don't forget their stats are amazing, thats all that really matters right? :roll: The game is about WINNING not stats.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:41 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddygoombatts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope

I'll take "W"s and rings any-day over stats.

Who would you rather have Terry Bradshaw or Dan Marino.

Also, to all those who say Ben is nothing more than a game manager, so Eli or Phil is better because they actually win games for their teams...SHUT UP! So what? big deal he only game manager, what is his teams record when he is playing and when he is not? EXACTLY!

How many rings do Rivers and Manning have?...for that case how many rings does Peyton Manning, Trent Green, Carson Palmer have...uhhh 0, but don't forget their stats are amazing, thats all that really matters right? :roll: The game is about WINNING not stats.

The game is about a TEAM not one player.

Quote:
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:07 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll take Ben. Sure its me being a homer but look at the way he led us through the playoffs last season. He did alot more than just "manage" games in the playoffs. He single handedly took us to the superbowl. I'll take a superbowl win over a stat record any day.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:08 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Roethlisberger despite his stinky streak
Old 10-10-2006, 09:43 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf
QB's get too much love for when they win and too much bitchin for when they lose.

Ding, Ding, Ding...

We have a winner!

Old 10-10-2006, 09:44 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basileus777
I don't understand how someone can call Ben a game managed and system qb and praise Rivers at the same time. Rivers is in the exact same situation Ben was for the last two years, you can't judge them differently. Ben is having a bad year and he isn't as good as many hyped him up to be yet, but he isn't getting enough credit for what he did for the Steelers last year. Ben won them 2 critical playoff games when their run game wasn't hot. He was doing more than managing the game against Indie and Denver. He played terrible in the Superbowl, but the Steelers would never have made the playoffs without Ben. If anything this year is demonstrating just how important Ben was to Steelers last year. I don't know why he is playing so poorly, but it isn't because he is really being asked to do anything more than he did last year.

Were you watching the same Sunday Night game I was?! Rivers threw the ball 40-time, the Steelers shut down LT and Turner, and he faced a Dick LeBeau defense that had two weeks to prepare and he still excelled. He is much more than Ben has ever been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal
I'll take Ben. Sure its me being a homer but look at the way he led us through the playoffs last season. He did alot more than just "manage" games in the playoffs. He single handedly took us to the superbowl. I'll take a superbowl win over a stat record any day.
"single handedly" doesn't apply in the NFL, first of all. Secondly he had the worst performance of any Super Bowl winning team ever, he didn't "win" the game.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:45 PM    (permalink
cgf

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf
QB's get too much love for when they win and too much bitchin for when they lose.

Ding, Ding, Ding...

We have a winner!
Old 10-10-2006, 09:48 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Two things.

1-Be honest with yourself. Do you really believe that Ben single handeldly took you to the Super Bowl?

2-Would you take Trent Dilfer, Kurt Warner, Phil Simms, Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson...etc over Dan Marino because of a ring?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:59 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Two things.

1-Be honest with yourself. Do you really believe that Ben single handeldly took you to the Super Bowl?

2-Would you take Trent Dilfer, Kurt Warner, Phil Simms, Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson...etc over Dan Marino because of a ring?

In all fairness, the Super Bowl winning Kurt Warner was a hell of a player, League MVP, in a whole different league from Dilfer and Johnson.

Quote:
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:06 PM    (permalink
Windy
All-Pro

Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.

Predicted Stats based on the 7r-2 Formula founded by Students at Cooper Union:

PhillipRivers-2 Super Bowl Victories Hall of Famer 4-Time All Star 2-Time MVP

EliManning-1 Super Bowl Victory 4-Time All Star One MVP

BenRoethlisberger-1 Super Bowl Victory 5-Time All Star Hall of Famer
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:02 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He is much more than Ben has ever been.
I like Rivers and I think he is going to be a very good qb, but you give him too much credit too early and are really discounting Ben. I have never been a fan of Ben and have criticized him, but you are taking it to the extreme. He isn't an elite qb yet, but he has proved he can do more than manage the game. He proved that on the highest stage last year. In the AFC championship at Mile High he went 21/29 for 275 and 2 tds when his running game was averaging 2.7 ypc. That is doing more than managing the game. Without Ben or when he is playing poorly (like this year) the Steelers just aren't a very good team, that alone proves how valuable he is. Saying that Rivers is more now than Ben has ever been is absurd.
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote