Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:19 PM    (permalink

IMO one of the biggest reasons the raiders are bad is because of Al Davis, he doesnt like drafting QBs in round 1 but thats what they need. It just seems to me that alot of the raiders failure is because of how he manages the team. And his "Committed to Excelence" and "Win at any cost" mottos aren't working anymore.

It also seems like he isn't in very good health, they showed him earlier in the SNF game and he just looks really bad. I also heard that they almost sold the team to someone else because Al Davis was really sick in the off-season but i think that was just a rumor.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:23 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Football is the guys life, he owns the team he can do whatever he wants with them. Yes it would be better for the Raiders, but would it be better for Al Davis?

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:24 PM    (permalink
cgf

The raiders suck because their oline is garbage and they don't have a good oline coach to motivate guys like Gallery and Grove who actually have talent but it's been squandered.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:26 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151
Football is the guys life, he owns the team he can do whatever he wants with them. Yes it would be better for the Raiders, but would it be better for Al Davis?
probaly not but i just think the guy manages the team worked in the 80s and whatnot but not in todays game.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:27 PM    (permalink
Windy
All-Pro

Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.

Its the o-line thats losing the games. The only time you see flashes of decent play by walter is when the line steps up. Which is usually once or twice a game :?
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:30 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Owners can't retire. He should sell the team, because he's running it into the ground, but he won't.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:32 PM    (permalink
smittyjs
All-Pro

smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The raiders should have hired me when they had a chance............

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm
smittyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610
Owners can't retire. He should sell the team, because he's running it into the ground, but he won't.
Agreed.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Kurve
Veteran

Kurve hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Kurve hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Al will never retire period .....the day a new owner will come into play is when Al passes sad to say but its true. The day raiders get a new owner raiders will win again al is very stubborn he likes certain type of coachs and certain type of players he doesnt like trying new things when he did they won (hiring of Gruden). This team definatly was once a proud organization and in the last few years its ruining its legacy which is very sad.
Kurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:08 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Retire? :roll:

Anyways, where is the Bruce for OROY thread?
Old 10-15-2006, 11:15 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillaraiderfan

retire/sell w/e same thing.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:21 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I believe Darko is on the Trueblood for OROY bandwagon now. :D
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basileus777
Quote:

where did i say he should win OROY?
Windy
All-Pro

Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.

Quote:
Quote:

haha
Old 10-15-2006, 11:26 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In the past Davis could hire yes HC's because he worked closely with them and was the defacto HC. His health doesn't permit that anymore and his HC's are on their own. However, Al cann ot stop interfering even though he can no longer take an active part in player training.
Yes, he needs to retire from the dat to day decisions of the team and turn the operation over to a competent GM. As long as he is running the ship, the young bright minds coming up in pro football won't work for him. That has become pretty obvious.
It is a sad end to a great football mind and Oakland will continue to pay the price until he steps aside.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:31 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City Big Gamer Uno
Quote:
Quote:

haha
hah-hah. :roll:
Old 10-15-2006, 11:33 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No, the reason the Raiders suck has absolutely nothing to do with Al Davis' refusal to draft QBs in the 1st round. It has all to do with an incompetent coaching staffs and him undermining his head coaches.

As for him not being right in the head and all, his speech for Madden at Canton was awesome and apparently he gave the best speech at meetings designed to deem a new commish.

I thinkAl Davis should sell the team because he has done a lot of things to disrespect the fans, not because of any draft preference.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:28 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Re: Should Al Davis retire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
IMO one of the biggest reasons the raiders are bad is because of Al Davis, he doesnt like drafting QBs in round 1 but thats what they need. It just seems to me that alot of the raiders failure is because of how he manages the team. And his "Committed to Excelence" and "Win at any cost" mottos aren't working anymore.

It also seems like he isn't in very good health, they showed him earlier in the SNF game and he just looks really bad. I also heard that they almost sold the team to someone else because Al Davis was really sick in the off-season but i think that was just a rumor.
Check it out. First round QBs, huh? That's what the Raiders need? How about the fact that over 50% of 1st round QBs are busts?

Tim Couch
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington
Todd Marinovich
Ryan Leaf
Patrick Ramsey
Cade McNown

And on the cusp with JP Losman, Kyle Boller and dare I say David Carr.

Whereas, we look at some of the better QBs in the NFL and I think they would have something to say about having to be a first rounder to be a good QB in the league in recent years.

Just ask:
Jake Delhomme an undrafted free agent
Matt Hasselbeck a 5th rounder
Marc Bulger a 6th rounder
Tom Brady a 6th rounder
Trent Green an 8th rounder
Kurt Warner an undrafted free agent

Between them, they have 4 of the last 7 Super Bowls and another one of those belongs to Brad Johnson, a former 9th rounder himself. Of the last 7 Super Bowls, only 2 have been won by former 1st round draft picks (and one of those is Trent Dilfer who hardly won that 2001 Super Bowl himself). To top it off, of the 14 participating starting QBs in the Super Bowls since 1999, only 5 of them have been 1st rounders.

Those are Trent Dilfer, Ben Roethlisberger, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair and Kerry Collins. That means 9 of the QBs were non-1st round picks.

That includes:
Jake Delhomme (once)
Tom Brady (three times)
Kurt Warner (twice)
Matt Hasselbeck (once)
Rich Gannon (a 4th rounder, once)
Brad Johnson (once)

I think you really need to re-think that assumption that you have to draft a 1st round QB to be successful. Because isn't the Super Bowl what it's all about, and apparently, 1st rounders don't get there very often, now do they?

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:30 AM    (permalink
Windy
All-Pro

NIP BUMPED A NUGGET. HE THREW A ROCK. NIP OWNS ALL
Old 10-16-2006, 12:37 AM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular
Quote:

Check it out. First round QBs, huh? That's what the Raiders need? How about the fact that over 50% of 1st round QBs are busts?

Tim Couch
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington
Todd Marinovich
Ryan Leaf
Patrick Ramsey
Cade McNown

And on the cusp with JP Losman, Kyle Boller and dare I say David Carr.

Whereas, we look at some of the better QBs in the NFL and I think they would have something to say about having to be a first rounder to be a good QB in the league in recent years.

Just ask:
Jake Delhomme an undrafted free agent
Matt Hasselbeck a 5th rounder
Marc Bulger a 6th rounder
Tom Brady a 6th rounder
Trent Green an 8th rounder
Kurt Warner an undrafted free agent

Between them, they have 4 of the last 7 Super Bowls and another one of those belongs to Brad Johnson, a former 9th rounder himself. Of the last 7 Super Bowls, only 2 have been won by former 1st round draft picks (and one of those is Trent Dilfer who hardly won that 2001 Super Bowl himself). To top it off, of the 14 participating starting QBs in the Super Bowls since 1999, only 5 of them have been 1st rounders.

Those are Trent Dilfer, Ben Roethlisberger, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair and Kerry Collins. That means 9 of the QBs were non-1st round picks.

That includes:
Jake Delhomme (once)
Tom Brady (three times)
Kurt Warner (twice)
Matt Hasselbeck (once)
Rich Gannon (a 4th rounder, once)
Brad Johnson (once)

I think you really need to re-think that assumption that you have to draft a 1st round QB to be successful. Because isn't the Super Bowl what it's all about, and apparently, 1st rounders don't get there very often, now do they?
I didnt say that you have to draft a 1st round QB to be successful, yea some have been busts. But look how many have been good.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:43 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
stuff about qbs
you know this would be a 5-0 team if you guys had drafted leinart.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:47 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
stuff about qbs
STOP IT!!!! NOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:47 AM    (permalink

Quote:
Quote:
stuff about qbs
and whys that? I never said they would be alot better with a 1st round QB...
Old 10-16-2006, 12:59 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
stuff about qbs
STOP IT!!!! NOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i had to, the opportunity was golden.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:59 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
stuff about qbs
and whys that? I never said they would be alot better with a 1st round QB...
because the thought makes NIP and sarf nuts. it also caused several long diatribes on the mock draft board from raiders fans in the offseason. and i delight in their misery.