Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:01 AM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular
stuff about qbs
you know this would be a 5-0 team if you guys had drafted leinart.
and whys that? I never said they would be alot better with a 1st round QB...
because the thought makes NIP and sarf nuts. it also caused several long diatribes on the mock draft board from raiders fans in the offseason. and i delight in their misery.
oh, i didnt know about that part.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:17 AM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.
Default Re: Should Al Davis retire?

[quote="Darko"]IMO one of the biggest reasons the raiders are bad is because of Al Davis, he doesnt like drafting QBs in round 1 but thats what they need. It just seems to me that alot of the raiders failure is because of how he manages the team. And his "Committed to Excelence" and "Win at any cost" mottos aren't working anymore.
[quote]

I don't think drafting a QB is the problem, and I think they are going to give Walters a fair shot at earning the starting job for the rest of the season. From what I saw of the Denver game tonight, the OL is improving a bit, but they still horrible. Whenever you have really high turnover rates in your defense and OL it is going to sting and thats what the Raiders are going through right now, and having a rookie QB certainly doesn't help.

However, when your team leads the league in penalties year after year and you go through head coaches like hair styles, something is wrong. You need to have stability for long term success, and Al always seems to want to short track it to the top. For the Raiders to return to where they belong, it is going to take a much different mind frame. I just hope Al doesn't pull the trigger on Shell at the end of the season. I like Shell [altho he is a bit rusty with the new rules, etc] and I like the discipline he is trying to install.

So, after being preachy, yes, the Raiders would be better off without Al. I like the guy, but you need to have patience and stability to build a team back up, qualities that Al doesn't exactly have in spades.
Komp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:52 PM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The day Al Daivs retires is the day he dies.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:38 PM    (permalink
detknowitall
Veteran

detknowitall could make a wolverine purr.detknowitall could make a wolverine purr.detknowitall could make a wolverine purr.detknowitall could make a wolverine purr.detknowitall could make a wolverine purr.detknowitall could make a wolverine purr.

He's seen the Raiders to multiple Superbowls, and owns the team. Owners dont retire, they may hire a Pres. and GM but they dont retire.
detknowitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:23 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

Short
Simple
Sweet

NO
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:39 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Anyone who hates on Al Davis = Ignorant.

You can scapegoat him all you want, its not his fault. He hand crafted this great young defense of ours and he stocked the offense with talent but the coaching staff, especially Art Shell and his bed n breakfast OC couldnt do anything with it. Al is a great owner/GM and theres no one I would rather have running my team. As long as his health permits it, he should keep on doing what hes doing. Al Davis is a great man of high character and I have great respect for him and he will go down as an NFL legend.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:15 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Al Davis has one 3 SBs.None of which with a QB he drafted in the 1st.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:17 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes, there comes a point where you just have to say this isn't for me anymore b/c I don't know if I'm going to wake up the next morning; he should hand over the duties to someone else

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:57 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is there a reason why this thread was dug up out of extinction?
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:02 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Is there a reason why this thread was dug up out of extinction?
...Just like the Raiders QBs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:53 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Thumbs down

hahaha no. football is al davis' life. hes going until he dies or gets ill

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:38 PM    (permalink
locseti
Veteran

locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
Check it out. First round QBs, huh? That's what the Raiders need? How about the fact that over 50% of 1st round QBs are busts?

Tim Couch
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington
Todd Marinovich
Ryan Leaf
Patrick Ramsey
Cade McNown

And on the cusp with JP Losman, Kyle Boller and dare I say David Carr.

Whereas, we look at some of the better QBs in the NFL and I think they would have something to say about having to be a first rounder to be a good QB in the league in recent years.

Just ask:
Jake Delhomme an undrafted free agent
Matt Hasselbeck a 5th rounder
Marc Bulger a 6th rounder
Tom Brady a 6th rounder
Trent Green an 8th rounder
Kurt Warner an undrafted free agent

Between them, they have 4 of the last 7 Super Bowls and another one of those belongs to Brad Johnson, a former 9th rounder himself. Of the last 7 Super Bowls, only 2 have been won by former 1st round draft picks (and one of those is Trent Dilfer who hardly won that 2001 Super Bowl himself). To top it off, of the 14 participating starting QBs in the Super Bowls since 1999, only 5 of them have been 1st rounders.

Those are Trent Dilfer, Ben Roethlisberger, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair and Kerry Collins. That means 9 of the QBs were non-1st round picks.

That includes:
Jake Delhomme (once)
Tom Brady (three times)
Kurt Warner (twice)
Matt Hasselbeck (once)
Rich Gannon (a 4th rounder, once)
Brad Johnson (once)

I think you really need to re-think that assumption that you have to draft a 1st round QB to be successful. Because isn't the Super Bowl what it's all about, and apparently, 1st rounders don't get there very often, now do they?
NIP Don't Play!
locseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:49 AM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

eacantdraft smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
Anyone who hates on Al Davis = Ignorant.

You can scapegoat him all you want, its not his fault. He hand crafted this great young defense of ours and he stocked the offense with talent but the coaching staff, especially Art Shell and his bed n breakfast OC couldnt do anything with it. Al is a great owner/GM and theres no one I would rather have running my team. As long as his health permits it, he should keep on doing what hes doing. Al Davis is a great man of high character and I have great respect for him and he will go down as an NFL legend.
6 Playoff appearances in 20 years is a great accomplishment. Great job from Al there. Did you know the Denver Broncos have been to 5 Super Bowls in that time?

Or do you think it's still 1985?
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:55 AM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
Check it out. First round QBs, huh? That's what the Raiders need? How about the fact that over 50% of 1st round QBs are busts?

Tim Couch
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington
Todd Marinovich
Ryan Leaf
Patrick Ramsey
Cade McNown

And on the cusp with JP Losman, Kyle Boller and dare I say David Carr.

Whereas, we look at some of the better QBs in the NFL and I think they would have something to say about having to be a first rounder to be a good QB in the league in recent years.

Just ask:
Jake Delhomme an undrafted free agent
Matt Hasselbeck a 5th rounder
Marc Bulger a 6th rounder
Tom Brady a 6th rounder
Trent Green an 8th rounder
Kurt Warner an undrafted free agent

Between them, they have 4 of the last 7 Super Bowls and another one of those belongs to Brad Johnson, a former 9th rounder himself. Of the last 7 Super Bowls, only 2 have been won by former 1st round draft picks (and one of those is Trent Dilfer who hardly won that 2001 Super Bowl himself). To top it off, of the 14 participating starting QBs in the Super Bowls since 1999, only 5 of them have been 1st rounders.

Those are Trent Dilfer, Ben Roethlisberger, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair and Kerry Collins. That means 9 of the QBs were non-1st round picks.

That includes:
Jake Delhomme (once)
Tom Brady (three times)
Kurt Warner (twice)
Matt Hasselbeck (once)
Rich Gannon (a 4th rounder, once)
Brad Johnson (once)

I think you really need to re-think that assumption that you have to draft a 1st round QB to be successful. Because isn't the Super Bowl what it's all about, and apparently, 1st rounders don't get there very often, now do they?
Where do I start?

1. JP Losman has not been a bust. He finally put it together last season. He was raw and it take a little while for those QB's to develop.

2. Didn't you forget about the Super Bowl earlier this month where both QB's were first round draft picks. You didn't include them.

3. First round draft picks on the Super Bowl winners have happened more than half the time. 22 or 23 of the Super Bowl winning QB (out of 41 Super Bowls) have been first rounders.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:59 AM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacantdraft View Post
6 Playoff appearances in 20 years is a great accomplishment. Great job from Al there. Did you know the Denver Broncos have been to 5 Super Bowls in that time?

Or do you think it's still 1985?
and yet they only managed to win 2.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:32 PM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
and yet they only managed to win 2.

And that in one playoff run.

Let's count the ways the Raiders have reeked of suckage since 1986.

1. 6 Playoff appearance, 3 of which was during the only successful blip on the radar during the Gannon years. Only Arizona, New Orleans, Detroit, and maybe a couple other teams have reeked of more suckage.

2. Senile Al can never stay with one coach. He has the attention span of a 2 year old. He fired two coaches who went on to win 3 Super Bowls with other teams. He had other coaches who only lasted one season. No team can win consistantly when you change coaches every year or two. Senile Al was so desperate for someone to accept the Raidah's coaching job that he had to scrape the bottom of the barrell to get a college assistant. What's next for senile Al, high school assistant, Pee Wee league head coaches.

3. Bad player accessment. How many 1st round draft picks has the Raiders have blown? How many druggees. Many.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:21 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This needs a poll, but the man is so old and senile it's not even funny. He needs to go spend the rest of his life on the beach in the Bahamas or something. I don't even know why he has so much say in their personnel decisions.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:51 PM    (permalink
HoopsDemon12
Pro Bowler

HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.

i would take him over ralph wilson jr/ anyday!!! hwo can you be senial and still considered junior it shoudl be illiagal haha

Sig By Diehardvikingfan
HoopsDemon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:53 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsDemon12 View Post
i would take him over ralph wilson jr/ anyday!!! hwo can you be senial and still considered junior it shoudl be illiagal haha
Why the **** did you dig this thread up? It's dead.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:58 PM    (permalink
Jonathan_VIlma
Pro Bowler

Jonathan_VIlma hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

People forget that Davis built a championship team only several years ago. In a "what have you done for me lately" league people really forget about that. If Al Davis wasn't so whacky, people wouldn't say a thing about him, because the Raiders have been good before.

Go complain about the Cardinals owners, home of probably , the worst attendance over time in history.

Designs by Thule
Jonathan_VIlma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:05 PM    (permalink
Bengals1690
Veteran

Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
Al Davis has one 3 SBs.None of which with a QB he drafted in the 1st.

yes. his best QBs were nearly forgotten ones in the free agent pools that thrived in black and silver. I smell a ryan leaf comeback...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbusta View Post
i love my pedestal. thats why im the mythbusta.
who dey?
Bengals1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:20 PM    (permalink
jag
Veteran

jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Why the **** did you dig this thread up? It's dead.
What a sick sig stoner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
It's just a ******* dog By Michael Vick
Check out the Dailyer Nebraskan
http://www.dailyernebraskan.com
421 Witness
756*
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:24 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

RETIRE?!

RUN!
Old 03-20-2007, 09:34 PM    (permalink
Stash
Pro Bowler

Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacantdraft View Post
Where do I start?

1. JP Losman has not been a bust. He finally put it together last season. He was raw and it take a little while for those QB's to develop.

2. Didn't you forget about the Super Bowl earlier this month where both QB's were first round draft picks. You didn't include them.

3. First round draft picks on the Super Bowl winners have happened more than half the time. 22 or 23 of the Super Bowl winning QB (out of 41 Super Bowls) have been first rounders.
I guess you forgot to look at the date of the post you replied to, it was before the supebowl.
Stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:49 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag View Post
What a sick sig stoner.
Why thank you.