Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 05-12-2007, 02:23 PM    (permalink
ncstateviking
Rookie

ncstateviking hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default what to do with jonathan vilma

if vilma struggles again this year which i dont see happening...but this is a what if...does he have any potential to switch to an olb role?
ncstateviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Javes
Rookie

Javes hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

There's no way he switches to OLB, he's undersized as it is.
Javes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:53 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

JoeMontainya needs more cowbell.

What is you guys opinion of Victor Hobson? Is he still going to start this year or will he split time/lose his job to David harris?

I drafted him in fantasy football and need to know lol.
JoeMontainya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:13 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Unless I'm wrong, Hobson plays outside, there's no way he loses his job to Harris. The only guy that could lose his job to Harris is Barton. And as said, no way Vilma switches to OLB, we'd have to trade him to a team that runs a 4-3 or just keep him. And because his value will have decreased, we'd have no choice but to keep him because we wouldn't get equal value in return. This past offseason was the year to get rid of Vilma if we wanted to, at this point we're probably going to have to stick with him at ILB no matter what happens and hope he's able to work his way into being comfortable in the role.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:48 PM    (permalink
'cuse-213
Pro Bowler

'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Unless I'm wrong, Hobson plays outside, there's no way he loses his job to Harris. The only guy that could lose his job to Harris is Barton. And as said, no way Vilma switches to OLB, we'd have to trade him to a team that runs a 4-3 or just keep him. And because his value will have decreased, we'd have no choice but to keep him because we wouldn't get equal value in return. This past offseason was the year to get rid of Vilma if we wanted to, at this point we're probably going to have to stick with him at ILB no matter what happens and hope he's able to work his way into being comfortable in the role.
I disagree. If we wanted to trade him to a 4-3 team, it could be done equally. Teams can look back at tape and see how comfortable he was. I would want nothing less than a first rounder. That might sound homerish but I dont care. Hes beastly in a 4-3.

With that said, I believe he will have a very good season and will be a jet forever. :)
Old 08-14-2007, 07:45 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

On the NFL.com depth charts, Hobson is listed as the left INSIDE Linebacker. Please clear this up for me if its wrong.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:50 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'm pretty sure this is what the linebacker situation will be... imo

OLB - Bryan Thomas, Matt Chatham
ILB - Jonathon Vilma, Brad Kassell, Anthony Schlegel
ILB - Eric Barton, David Harris
OLB - Victor Hobson, David Bowens

but the way mangini runs the defense i think everyone but vilma, thomas, and harris could end up playing inside and outside
Old 08-14-2007, 08:16 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

For some reason they list Barton as the back-up OLB and Hobson as the starting MLB. So this is wrong?
Old 08-14-2007, 09:08 PM    (permalink
'cuse-213
Pro Bowler

'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMontainya View Post
For some reason they list Barton as the back-up OLB and Hobson as the starting MLB. So this is wrong?
Theyre not very accurate with depth charts. They dont look into what kind of D you run and whatnot. Go to the official site for that.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:41 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'cuse-213 View Post
I disagree. If we wanted to trade him to a 4-3 team, it could be done equally. Teams can look back at tape and see how comfortable he was. I would want nothing less than a first rounder. That might sound homerish but I dont care. Hes beastly in a 4-3.

With that said, I believe he will have a very good season and will be a jet forever. :)
Obviously they can look at his tape from previous years. But if we traded him the year before we switched to the 3-4 we could have gotten a very high first rounder. This past season I don't think we could have gotten as much. And if we wait another year and he has a down year in the 3-4 there will be questions beyond is he just a bad fit for the defense we run IMO. Agree to disagree I guess, but I don't see his value staying the same when he isn't getting any better but is getting older (if that happens, which I don't think it will).
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:23 AM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

To be honest I don't think Vilma will struggle at all. I mean Vilma's an incredibly intelligent player...you have to be to be as good as he is, and I think he's going to do whatever is necessary to improve as a 3-4 MLB, I mean it's such a common defense, that even if he was traded, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd wind up playing as a 3-4 MLB eventually anyways.

But as mentioned, Vilma's an intelligent football player, and I'm sure he's been watching film of smaller ILB's playing in a 3-4 and that he will soon learn techniques to get around blockers, to avoid blockers, and to at times even go through blockers. We might see this totally new Vilma come opening game, we might see it midway through, we might even see it next year, but you can bet that Vilma will adjust...and it's not impossible to gain 10 or so pounds to bulk up to around 240ish. Finally, maybe it's a good thing, I mean everyone plays the 3-4 with big, physical LB's, it's gunna be different to protect a quicker, faster, more aware...yet smaller ILB like Vilma. I believe we are still not playing a full 3-4, so variations of a 4-3 every so often will be good for him as well. I'm not worried yet...

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:20 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Vilma would be a great 3-4 ILB bc of his intelligence and he makes up for a lack of size with strength and toughness...BUT the biggest problem for Vilma is that he never stays clean (NOT HIS FAULT) the DL is too small and not powerfull at all....They get no push whatsoever...Coleman was an upgrade and was told by Parcells when he was drafted out of UCLA that he was born to play DE in a 3-4. Shaun Ellis is not a 3-4 DE he's a small 3-4 DE and a big 4-3 DE that said he's good at rushing the passer and provides somewhat of a silver lining to an inadequate DL but is a pass rusher and not good at eaingt up space and gaps. Robertson has inadequate size to be a true NT and is the epitome of the problem with the DL he's big enough to get by and show promise (I don't think Mangini would have kept him if he thought he could find a spot for him on the DL) I just think if he stays on the team next year it will be as a DE/4-3 package DT...BJ RAJI. The Jets DL will undergo very big changes... BAck onto Vilma, he is an amazing LB and BC hes one of the best 11 on D he has to be out there and they have to facilitate his skills by getting a better NT not in terms of production but size and lower body strength essetnially a big gut and big legs and big arms 330+ (Raji) and rotating DEs who are 305+ (Coleman, Robertson [problem is his height or hed be perfect for DE but he'll get engulfed by taller tackles...Maybe not bc he got great hands and is tgreat at shooting gaps and pass rushing but prob], Ellis [still undersized at 285).. To make Vilma better DL needs to get better he is a great lineback 3-4 or 4-3 it just happens he's better in the 4-3.

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:31 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Great post, said perfectly, basically what I tried to cover just not as well.

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote