Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 10-26-2006, 07:54 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belish
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV
Tretiak is top 5 also.

He never played in the NHL, but that's because the Soviet government didn't allow him to.
Based on what I've read, I think Tretiak is overrated. Most people rate him based solely on the Summit Series. Yes, he was good in the Russian leagues, but they were inferior compared the the NHL (I'm not saying that they were bad, but as a whole, the talent level was much lower than in the NHL). Success in European leagues does not always translate to success in the NHL, which is obviously the premier hockey league in the world.

If you're going to say he's top 5 all-time based on an 8-game series and success in the Russian leagues, I could argue that Danny McManus is a one of the top QBs on all-time based on his success in the CFL.

He might be a top goalie, but certainly not top-10
The 1972 Summit Series was the first ever....but it was NOT THE LAST!!!!!

http://www.geocities.com/canadavsrussia/

Quote:
1974 Summit Series
The next eight game Summit Series which many Canadians have forgotten about took place two years later. It is worth mentioning because it also involved Canada's best pros from the WHA but not from the NHL. It was a legitimate struggle because of some of the talent on the Canadian bench and the fact that this time they were prepared. The USSR's team was pretty much the same as their 1972 team. Team Canada had hall-of-famers like Bobby Hull, Gordie Howe, Frank Mahovlich, Gerry Cheevers, and yes Paul Henderson. The format was the same as 1972 with four games played in each country. The Russians won this series quite easily outscoring Canada 32-27 in the eight games. They won four, lost one and tied three.
*(Valery Kharlamov, the Soviet's flashy winger, was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. To see the most incredible goal he ever scored be sure to get a copy of game 1 from this series played in Quebec City).
Soviets DESTROYED the Canadians in the 1974 Series.

http://www.geocities.com/canadavsrussia/1981.html

Soviets also beat Canadian pros in the 1981 Canadian Cup. Tretiak was AWESOME in this event, and this also was his 'LAST HURRAH'.

Look, I don't know where exactly Tretiak would rank had he played in the NHL, he has played against NHL talent PLENTY of times, and played great in almost all of those games.

As great as Tretiak was in the 1972 Summit Series, that was acctually one of his worst series against the NHL pros.

In the 1981 Canadian Cup, Tretiak was absolutely AWESOME, and he was considered past his prime then.

I don't think it's a stretch to suggest Tretiak would've been a great goalie in the NHL.

Kharlamov, I believe, would too, have been considered among the greatest players ever had he played in the NHL.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote