Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 09-04-2007, 02:49 PM    (permalink
ccB
All-NFLDC

ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Read any good books lately?

I recently took a job where I am asked to watch over a computer lab, I spend most of my day reading, so I ask you NFLDC, read any good books lately? Give me some recommendations. I am a fan of authors such as Hunter S. Thompson, Bret Easton Ellis, Mark Danielewski, and Chuck Palahniuk.

Currently I am reading:

Old 09-04-2007, 02:52 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

even though it was for school, I read the values of the game, by Bill Bradley. short book, but very interesting. a great read during the time of point shaving, dog fighting, steroids etc. shouldnt take more than really an hour to finish, but i really enjoyed it. a great read for basketball/sports fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:02 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I haven't read it yet but I would love to get some time to read Tony Dungy's book.

On another note I am thinking about getting into Ayn Rand books. Never heard anyone say they didn't like them. They are really deep books. I wiki'd a couple of them and needless to say want to get into them.
Atlas shrugged and Fountainhead would be the first two I would read.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:02 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I recommend:

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand (my favorite book ever)

For non-fiction lovers, there is a series of books about Theodore Roosevelt that are fantastic.

I am also finishing up a very sobering look at radical Islam called The Sword of the Prophet, by Serge Trifkovic [Note: I am not trying to incite a religious discussion. It is just a very good read.]

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:03 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

I am reading Chuck Palahniuk right now actually.

I would HIGHLY recommend My Losing Season by Pat Conroy.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:07 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
I haven't read it yet but I would love to get some time to read Tony Dungy's book.

On another note I am thinking about getting into Ayn Rand books. Never heard anyone say they didn't like them. They are really deep books. I wiki'd a couple of them and needless to say want to get into them.
You've never heard anyone say they didn't like Ayn Rand? Are you f'n kidding me? Ayn Rand is one of the most controversial/hated authors in the history of literature. Haven't you ever seen the South Park where Officer Barbrady learns to read?

Anyway, as a graduate student about 75% of my day is reading, though I doubt many would interest the general public. One really good (and short) book that I always read for inspiration is 'Man's Search for Meaning'. It's a holocaust survivors account of how he made it through each day using existential thought etc. Really good book.

Another good book if you really like coffee is 'The Social History of Coffee', however it's not for the novice reader so there are probably more accessible books on the subject available at Borders or something.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:08 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not sure if it'll be your kind of book, but I just finished "The Bancroft Strategy" by Robert Ludlum and really enjoyed it, one of his best books.

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:10 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
You've never heard anyone say they didn't like Ayn Rand? Are you f'n kidding me? Ayn Rand is one of the most controversial/hated authors in the history of literature. Haven't you ever seen the South Park where Officer Barbrady learns to read?

Anyway, as a graduate student about 75% of my day is reading, though I doubt many would interest the general public. One really good (and short) book that I always read for inspiration is 'Man's Search for Meaning'. It's a holocaust survivors account of how he made it through each day using existential thought etc. Really good book.

Another good book if you really like coffee is 'The Social History of Coffee', however it's not for the novice reader so there are probably more accessible books on the subject available at Borders or something.
I'm talking about people I know who have read the books. I'm not talking about what some scribe is writing in the New York Times.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-04-2007, 03:12 PM    (permalink
SubNoize
Veteran

SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Atlas Shrugged was absolutely awful, I don't like her style of writing and it's very dry and dragging to me. I don't think you should read Atlas Shrugged.
SubNoize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:15 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm talking about people I know who have read the books. I'm not talking about what some scribe is writing in the New York Times.
Haha..alright well either way, there are a lot of people that hate Ayn Rand, and they aren't all self-important book critiques. Try assigning one of her books in a classroom and gauge the response.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:16 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Haha..alright well either way, there are a lot of people that hate Ayn Rand, and they aren't all self-important book critiques. Try assigning one of her books in a classroom and gauge the response.
Any forced reading is going to be subject to criticism.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-04-2007, 03:18 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im reading "Blood Makes the grass Grow Green" by Johnny Rico. It's a memoir of a guy who dropped everything to join the Army and go to Afghanistan after 9/11. Great book
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:19 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

just finished this one, now not reading anything since I'm writing.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:19 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fahrenheit 451

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:20 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubNoize View Post
Atlas Shrugged was absolutely awful, I don't like her style of writing and it's very dry and dragging to me. I don't think you should read Atlas Shrugged.
Atlas Shrugged is a philosophical manifesto with a lot of depth and a lot of dry parts. It is masked as a story, but it is hard core philosophy. The Fountainhead is a cool story with love, sex, deception, legal drama, violence, explosions, etc. I only recommend The Fountainhead because it is a good read and easier to comprehend than a lot of her other work.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 09-04-2007, 03:28 PM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

I'm, unwillingly, reading the Scarlet Letter.

It sucks. Hard.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:29 PM    (permalink
volman88
Rookie

volman88 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Most have already, or will soon, but In Cold Blood is very good.

Dallas Cowboys/Denver Broncos/Tennessee Volunteer Fan
volman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:29 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinzzfan25 View Post

It sucks. Hard.
I don't think that makes sense.

However if you get past the forced concept it actually is a decent read.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-04-2007, 03:30 PM    (permalink
SubNoize
Veteran

SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
Atlas Shrugged is a philosophical manifesto with a lot of depth and a lot of dry parts. It is masked as a story, but it is hard core philosophy. The Fountainhead is a cool story with love, sex, deception, legal drama, violence, explosions, etc. I only recommend The Fountainhead because it is a good read and easier to comprehend than a lot of her other work.
I just hate how she makes her characters so plain and hard to relate to. People say that she is great with plotting and story telling but it's hard to place yourself in the story when you can't relate with any of the characters. Atlas Shrugged def. touches on politics and even religion, and is really like you said masked as a story, but it's just to dry for my tastes and i would like to have know her characters better.
SubNoize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:31 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinzzfan25 View Post

It sucks. Hard.
it sucked when i read it for school(partially because i didn't care and barely read it).

but then i went back and re-read it for the final, and liked it. a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:36 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubNoize View Post
I just hate how she makes her characters so plain and hard to relate to. People say that she is great with plotting and story telling but it's hard to place yourself in the story when you can't relate with any of the characters. Atlas Shrugged def. touches on politics and even religion, and is really like you said masked as a story, but it's just to dry for my tastes and i would like to have know her characters better.
You have to give The Fountainhead a try, then. Much better story, about 300 pages shorter, and much better with character development. I found Atlas Shrugged dry and difficult to read, but I've read The Fountainhead dozens of times, and it's still awesome.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just finished up the asian saga by Clavell, great set of books, but LONG.

Also I'm reading Clive Cussler's latest Dirk Pitt novel, always a fun read.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:48 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
Just finished up the asian saga by Clavell, great set of books, but LONG.

Also I'm reading Clive Cussler's latest Dirk Pitt novel, always a fun read.
I love Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt books. My dad has all of them. I've read a few of them. I particularly liked Shockwave
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:49 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

had to read Life of Pi for school... really enjoyed

Old 09-04-2007, 03:50 PM    (permalink
gbpackers0065
Pro Bowler

gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.

http://www.smpl.org/cwr/kite%20runner.jpg
INCREDIBLE, the plot twists make it a real page-turner.

EDIT: How come my IMG tags don't work?