Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-28-2006, 06:38 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Brian Urlacher, overrated?

I just saw that in a players poll in SI magizine, that Brian Urlacher was voted overrated by 8% of the league. That was tied for the second largest % with Ray Lewis. Only T.O. had a higher percentage, and that was 10%.

I would assume that most of the Bears players voted for him, like a joke. But the rest of the league? Out of jealousy I guess.

What do you guys think? I think it is assinine, and that Brain Urlacher is argueably the best defensive player in the NFL.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:41 PM    (permalink
BUSTKUNTLAWL
Veteran

BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I HIGHLY doubt any of the Bear players voted for him.

Considering he was voted most over rated 2 years ago(If I recall right). And it was a big slap in the face to him and the media made a big deal out of it.

Tons of the teammates defended him too.. There's no way his teammates voted for him.
BUSTKUNTLAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:44 PM    (permalink
dcarey20
Pro Bowler

dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.

i could see how some may think he is overrated. i think he's a bit overhyped, but not much. he's a great player.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSTKUNTLAWL

Considering he was voted most over rated 2 years ago(If I recall right). And it was a big slap in the face to him and the media made a big deal out of it.

Tons of the teammates defended him too.. There's no way his teammates voted for him.
Well, I think they did, as a joke. Like with the White Sox. There was a players poll about baseball's most overrated player or something, and A.J. Pierzynski was voted as it by the whole sox team, as a joke. That didn't really mean it.

Old 10-28-2006, 06:46 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hell no.

He has made the probowl almost every season of his career for a reason, and definantly was voted DPOY last year for a reason. He is big, fast and is the best at what he does. When he needs to, he can take over a game (Cardnals). Not many players can do that, so no, he isnt overrated at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:47 PM    (permalink
BUSTKUNTLAWL
Veteran

BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSTKUNTLAWL

Well, I think they did, as a joke. Like with the White Sox. There was a players poll about baseball's most overrated player or something, and A.J. Pierzynski was voted as it by the whole sox team, as a joke. That didn't really mean it.
Yah I understand your point.

But this was a big deal 2 years ago or so if you remember.

It was really blown out of porportion and Lovie & the players really defended him.

It's possible.

But I doubt it honestly.
BUSTKUNTLAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:48 PM    (permalink
jkpigskin
Pro Bowler

jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i dont think hes overrated.... he is real good and sometimes doesnt get enough respect

Go Ravens!
jkpigskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:49 PM    (permalink
Zim3031
Pro Bowler

Zim3031 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I used to think he was overrated, but then I saw the Cardinals game and I did a complete 180. He took over the game, you couldn't run at him and your receivers were too afraid to cross near him.

I think the guy next him, Briggs, is overrated though.
Zim3031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:52 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearfan54
Hell no.

He has made the probowl almost every season of his career for a reason, and definantly was voted DPOY last year for a reason. He is big, fast and is the best at what he does. When he needs to, he can take over a game (Cardnals). Not many players can do that, so no, he isnt overrated at all.
He speaks the truth.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:58 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim3031
I used to think he was overrated, but then I saw the Cardinals game and I did a complete 180. He took over the game, you couldn't run at him and your receivers were too afraid to cross near him.

I can agree with that. Briggs is good, but he is pro bowl caliber because of Urlacher. Take away Lach, and Briggs' faults would start to show, IMO. But, I still think Briggs is a good LB.

Old 10-28-2006, 06:59 PM    (permalink

urlacher nor lewis are overated.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:01 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Urlacher is overated I challenge anyone to name a MLB in the game today better than him.

If you said Zach Thomas or Vilma, you're wrong.

Give him another MVP or a Pro Bowl or two and he's in the HOF.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:16 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

His only job was too stop James, he was being run blitzed the whole time and he had no other resposibilites. The Bears knew what the Cards were doing, it wouldn't have made a difference if it was someone else in Urlacher's place.

The problem with your statement is that Boldin caught a TD right in front of him and ran it in.

He is over rated in that he isn't far and away the best LB in the game.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:22 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn
Quote:

The problem with your statement is that Boldin caught a TD right in front of him and ran it in.
That was Briggs.

And Urlacher is much better than the 2nd best MLB in the league.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:25 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you have him as the best defensive player in the league he is overrated. If you have him worlds better than the next MLB then he is overrated. If you have him as the top MLB by a decent amount then he is right where he belongs.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:35 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
If Urlacher is overated I challenge anyone to name a MLB in the game today better than him.

Before I say this, understand that I believe Urlacher is the best MIKE in the game.

Having that said, I think he's overrated in a sense that he could be even better than he is, IF he only had a brain (duh duhadada [lame attempt at singing the Wizard of Oz]).

Urlacher does not call the plays, line up his teammates or call defensive audibles. I believe Mike Brown holds those responsibilities. I could be wrong though, and if I am, heck, Urlacher still doesn't do a good job at it. He is not a cerebral type linebacker. He gets by too much on his pure athleticism. I see him take the wrong angle many times, but he just happens to save himself and make an "incredible" play by thrusting his body back into the proper area and making a play. Thats all fine and dandy now, but he won't have that forever, and he will fall off HARD when he loses it. He has all the physical tools, but he has no brains to go with it.

I think Vilma can overtake him in a couple of years easily. He has the instincts and the brain. But Urlacher will fall off just like Ray Lewis. But unlike Lewis, his dropoff will be even worse because he won't have any instincts to fall back on.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:40 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Most underrated player in the game:

Buffalo Bills' MLB London Fletcher-Baker

Discuss.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:42 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo

Discuss.
Nope...its Mike Vrabel. Seriously. How many times to hear his name mentioned amongst the top 3-4 OLBs in the game? Barely. Yet he's in the top 5 easily, probably top 3. Yet no love. Its Vrabel.

And Jason Taylor is the most underappreciated DE in the game.

And Kerry Rhodes is the most underappreciated Safety.

And Ty Warren is the most underappreciated DT (I know, he's technically a DE, but you get what I'm saying).
Old 10-28-2006, 07:46 PM    (permalink
GSOT
Rookie

GSOT hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo

Discuss.
I agree, great player.
GSOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:21 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would think that Lights out would be around there, people started pegging him as the next all time great LB, the next LT, and so on, then he doesnt get a sack against the Titans and I dont think he got a sack against the Ravens and our line is nothing special, but dont get me wrong, Shawne is still a very good player. But W/ Lewis I don't see how he would be the second most overrated player, I think everybody has accepted that he is now only top 5-10 MLB isntead of the beast he once was. Smokey Joe did they give reasons why they are overrated?
Old 10-28-2006, 08:33 PM    (permalink

IMO, Urlacher and Peppers have a distinct line drawn behind them as the two best defensive players in the game.

I think some people get "great tackle machines" mixed up with "great linebackers". Urlacher can make game changing plays and can single handely take games over. That is what GREAT players do, in other words...stats can be misleading. Yes, Fletcher, Vilma, and Thomas are all good players and vitalely important to their teams, but their stats are padded by not having talent around them. To stand out on defense like the Bears is impressive to say the least. Also, to say there is a better linebacker in the game today would be purley to play the "devil's advocate". Another good couple of seasons and will should easily be considered a top 10 LB of all time, thus an eventual HOFer.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:41 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51

Before I say this, understand that I believe Urlacher is the best MIKE in the game.

Having that said, I think he's overrated in a sense that he could be even better than he is, IF he only had a brain (duh duhadada [lame attempt at singing the Wizard of Oz]).

Urlacher does not call the plays, line up his teammates or call defensive audibles. I believe Mike Brown holds those responsibilities. I could be wrong though, and if I am, heck, Urlacher still doesn't do a good job at it. He is not a cerebral type linebacker. He gets by too much on his pure athleticism. I see him take the wrong angle many times, but he just happens to save himself and make an "incredible" play by thrusting his body back into the proper area and making a play. Thats all fine and dandy now, but he won't have that forever, and he will fall off HARD when he loses it. He has all the physical tools, but he has no brains to go with it.

I think Vilma can overtake him in a couple of years easily. He has the instincts and the brain. But Urlacher will fall off just like Ray Lewis. But unlike Lewis, his dropoff will be even worse because he won't have any instincts to fall back on.
Um Brian Urlacher has called the plays. He is the one that calls for all the defensive audibles. He is the one that the coach gave the QB wrist to. Also, Brian Urlacher has great instincts. I have no idea where you are getting this from. He puts up great numbers year in and year out, even with all the talent around him. There is no LB faster then him. Turn on a Bears game once in a while, because quite honestly, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 10-28-2006, 08:42 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddygoombatts
IMO, Urlacher and Peppers have a distinct line drawn behind them as the two best defensive players in the game.

I think some people get "great tackle machines" mixed up with "great linebackers". Urlacher can make game changing plays and can single handely take games over. That is what GREAT players do, in other words...stats can be misleading. Yes, Fletcher, Vilma, and Thomas are all good players and vitalely important to their teams, but their stats are padded by not having talent around them. To stand out on defense like the Bears is impressive to say the least. Also, to say there is a better linebacker in the game today would be purley to play the "devil's advocate". Another good couple of seasons and will should easily be considered a top 10 LB of all time, thus an eventual HOFer.
I'd put Champ Bailey in that category also. He is the best corner in all of football.

Old 10-28-2006, 08:43 PM    (permalink
Zim3031
Pro Bowler

Zim3031 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Vilma has not been anything close top a playmaker these last two years. I don't see how on Earth anyone can say that he is a top 10 linebacker or be better than Urlacher. He just makes all of his tackles 6-7 yards downfield.
Zim3031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:46 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddygoombatts

I'd put Champ Bailey in that category also. He is the best corner in all of football.
Ok...i guess Champ can come to....