Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 10-27-2006, 08:18 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
They have actually never finished inside the top 25 when they started in the top 25, which is 4 times.
I thought I remembered them starting at about 22 one season and actually finishing in the exact same spot at the end of the year.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:52 AM    (permalink
Greg Behrendt

Quote:
Originally Posted by achilles109
flame me all you want but I voted tennesse.. They won a national championship, sure, but every year they are ranked higher in the preseason polls than they end up. They always look good on paper, but never amount to squat.. Tennesse doesn't get as much media attention as Notre Dame, Texas, USC, and Michigan, but they still under produce every year.
I am a huge Tennessee fan and agree with everything you said unfortantly. To help further your point Tennessee gets more media coverage then probally any team. They are seen on national television pretty much every week, whether it be ESPN Primetime or CBS. However the one argument for Tennessee is there schedule. Teams such as Texas(although the big 12 wasnt always horrible) and USC should pretty much always go through the regular season with 1 loss or less. SEC teams on the other hand just beat the **** out of each other.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:12 PM    (permalink
snuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10
Quote:
They have actually never finished inside the top 25 when they started in the top 25, which is 4 times.
I thought I remembered them starting at about 22 one season and actually finishing in the exact same spot at the end of the year.
That would be true. My bad I somehow missed the 0 on 98.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:27 PM    (permalink
PMac
Rookie

PMac hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

nd
Old 10-27-2006, 03:34 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Behrendt
Quote:
flame me all you want but I voted tennesse.. They won a national championship, sure, but every year they are ranked higher in the preseason polls than they end up. They always look good on paper, but never amount to squat.. Tennesse doesn't get as much media attention as Notre Dame, Texas, USC, and Michigan, but they still under produce every year.
I am a huge Tennessee fan and agree with everything you said unfortantly. To help further your point Tennessee gets more media coverage then probally any team. They are seen on national television pretty much every week, whether it be ESPN Primetime or CBS. However the one argument for Tennessee is there schedule. Teams such as Texas(although the big 12 wasnt always horrible) and USC should pretty much always go through the regular season with 1 loss or less. SEC teams on the other hand just beat the *********** out of each other.

thats not a knock on usc or texas, thats a compliment to mack brown and pete carrol, its gotten to the point to where all the top tier athletes want to choose from those schools first, then everywhere else second, thus the coordinator jobs are highly touted, which is how we landed chiznik from auburn the year they went undefeated...

it used to be where more schools in the big 12 spread out the talent, its swaying more and more as of recently....but i hope we continue to schedule big non conference games, i love it as a fan, shows me what my team really has....

i dont mind losing games to the likes of OSU, and im sure their true fans didnt mind losing to use that year, says alot about your program, and when you win, it helps out more then anything....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:41 PM    (permalink
achilles109
Veteran

achilles109 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't mean to sound like a jackass, but the reason we didn't mind lossing to texas is because we were on top all game.. A few missed opertuinitys, Ryan Hamby, Huston field goals, Smith saftey, and Zwick fumbul swung it in texa's favor. Its not that Texas did not deserve to win, they obviously did because they didnt shoot themselves in the foot as much, but Ohio State knew they could outplay the top teams in the nation....

Penn State was a heart breaker
achilles109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:03 PM    (permalink
Greg Behrendt

Quote:
I don't mean to sound like a jackass, but the reason we didn't mind lossing to texas is because we were on top all game.. A few missed opertuinitys, Ryan Hamby, Huston field goals, Smith saftey, and Zwick fumbul swung it in texa's favor. Its not that Texas did not deserve to win, they obviously did because they didnt shoot themselves in the foot as much, but Ohio State knew they could outplay the top teams in the nation....

Just let it all out. Don't hold back your feelings.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:22 PM    (permalink
snuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamonceTaylorThaGreat
Quote:
Quote:
I am a huge Tennessee fan and agree with everything you said unfortantly. To help further your point Tennessee gets more media coverage then probally any team. They are seen on national television pretty much every week, whether it be ESPN Primetime or CBS. However the one argument for Tennessee is there schedule. Teams such as Texas(although the big 12 wasnt always horrible) and USC should pretty much always go through the regular season with 1 loss or less. SEC teams on the other hand just beat the *********** out of each other.

thats not a knock on usc or texas, thats a compliment to mack brown and pete carrol, its gotten to the point to where all the top tier athletes want to choose from those schools first, then everywhere else second, thus the coordinator jobs are highly touted, which is how we landed chiznik from auburn the year they went undefeated...
Dont compare USC and Texas in recruiting... Everyone looks to USC, but Texas is no different than Michigan or tOSU. They both pretty much clean up in their state which is all Texas really does, they just have a lot larger talent base.

2006 Texas class had 2 out of state prospects and they were a 3 and 4 star prospect. They had 25 come in.
2005 had 2 out of state prospect, again a 3 and 4 star. They had 15 come in.
2004 0 out of state prospects. They had 20 come in.
2003 0 out of state prospects. They had 18 come in.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:01 PM    (permalink
MagnumGator
Veteran

MagnumGator hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots-Lions
Quote:
I cant believe Florida hasnt been getting more mention. I guess there good year has blinded everyone. The Gators havent done anything really in the last 10 years. I think one BCS bowl apperance and a couple SEC championship games. This is a team that always has highly ranked recruiting classes and doesnt do much. Also, they havent been putting out a whole lot of elite NFL prospects. Thoughts, opinions, objections?
They won a National Championship in 1996.
Then underachieved for 9 years, and are now having a good season.
Florida went to three BCS bowls in the five years after the national championship. Then Ron Zook was Ron Zook for three years. This season we have a very good shot at a BCS bowl and things look bright for the future. We also probably played more eventual national champions than anyone over that span (4). Recruiting was always pretty good but usually not upper echelon.
MagnumGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:12 PM    (permalink
achilles109
Veteran

achilles109 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:

Just let it all out. Don't hold back your feelings.
I don't think that was too bad... I gave credit to Texas, they did win a National Championship :(
achilles109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:20 AM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

ND just for the fact that they don't win very many bowl games.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:22 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuff
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Dont compare USC and Texas in recruiting... Everyone looks to USC, but Texas is no different than Michigan or tOSU. They both pretty much clean up in their state which is all Texas really does, they just have a lot larger talent base.

2006 Texas class had 2 out of state prospects and they were a 3 and 4 star prospect. They had 25 come in.

whats your point? cause i really dont care

Quote:
Old 10-28-2006, 04:36 PM    (permalink
sodar21
Veteran

sodar21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you don't care then why are you asking what is point is?
sodar21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:51 PM    (permalink
Pokeys
Veteran

Pokeys hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Pokeys hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

UT recruiting is fine... The thing is we dont need to go out of state because we have all the best talent in the great state of Texas. When we speak with recruits out of state Oscar, Ken, Mac, Bobby all go through the motions and we dont really extend ourselves to recruiting these guys unless they are five star recruits. We get the best players from Texas usually without any hassle.

This year we have got 3 out of state recruits so far and one of them is a Five star QB and the other is a Four star player. Thats all we really need for out of state recruits. Everything else we can find in Texas :).

Speaking of overrated, Georgia & ND get my votes. No question here in my opinion.

Texas Longhorns: CB Marcus Davis, QB Garrett Gilbert, OT Mason Walters, RB Chris Whaley! The next great batch.
Pokeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:57 PM    (permalink
dcarey20
Pro Bowler

dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.

Georgia....haven't really accomplished as much as it may seem as far as bowl games...and they haven't had anywhere near the amount of pro players as programs like miami, florida state, etc.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:05 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodar21
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you don't care then why are you asking what is point is?

because you dont realize how pointless it is to note that texas does not recruit out of state athletes, seeing as how majority of the in state ones they land are blue chip, 5 star athletes...i didnt know that was a part of the job, lets get alot of good athletes, and make sure a handful are out of state for diversity :roll:

i honestly dont care if we get all texas players, or all florida, or from everywhere, as long as we continue to finish in the top 5 across the nation EVERY year in recruiting the best athletes at every position, i personally could care less what state they are from, and i highly doubt anyone else cares where they went to HS

Quote:
Old 10-28-2006, 11:09 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

His point was the USC gets people from all over the nation every year, but teams like Ohio State, Texas, and Michigan take the best in-state prospects and then get only a few out of state guys. USC is on top of the recruiting world, and teams like Texas, OSU, and Mich are behind them.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:19 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots-Lions
His point was the USC gets people from all over the nation every year, but teams like Ohio State, Texas, and Michigan take the best in-state prospects and then get only a few out of state guys. USC is on top of the recruiting world, and teams like Texas, OSU, and Mich are behind them.

which is fine by me even if that is the case....

but still, since 2000 im not sure how many times Texas has landed the top class, but its been more then once, the times we havent we have been in the top 5....ill take that any day, even if they are only players in texas

Quote:
Old 10-29-2006, 12:35 AM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

UT doesn't completely clean up the best recruits from their state. OU takes a lot from Texas also.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:16 AM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrk
UT doesn't completely clean up the best recruits from their state. OU takes a lot from Texas also.
AD being 1
Old 10-29-2006, 01:19 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thah0ward2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrk
AD being 1

they take alot more then that, but texas cant have every single athlete that is good in texas, they dont have enough scholarships to go around like that, we get a nice handful, and try to make the best out of them...but im not worried about losing atheletes to oklahoma, its more then just a few good football players out of texas, its not like this is a small state for football talent

Quote:
Old 10-29-2006, 01:20 AM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I voted for ND, and they are running away with it.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:23 AM    (permalink
Fraser75

Try Miami(Fla) and why they aren't even on the list over a Florida State team who beat them heads up is beyond me. They're just a bunch of thugs who get everything handed to them. Until recently, they had hardly any compition to worry about in the regular season and all those Nation Championships while playing in the Big Easy are all tainted, they didn't play a worthy scedule.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:21 AM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeys
UT recruiting is fine... The thing is we dont need to go out of state because we have all the best talent in the great state of Texas. When we speak with recruits out of state Oscar, Ken, Mac, Bobby all go through the motions and we dont really extend ourselves to recruiting these guys unless they are five star recruits. We get the best players from Texas usually without any hassle.

This year we have got 3 out of state recruits so far and one of them is a Five star QB and the other is a Four star player. Thats all we really need for out of state recruits. Everything else we can find in Texas :).

Speaking of overrated, Georgia & ND get my votes. No question here in my opinion.
they ARE the best athletes in the nation, but the thing is they are really really stupid. i wouldnt trust them taking a 6th grade math test.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:29 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeys

they ARE the best athletes in the nation, but the thing is they are really really stupid. i wouldnt trust them taking a 6th grade math test.
Who is "they"? Longhorn recruits? Are you being serious about those 2 comments?