Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 08-27-2007, 07:06 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Running/Jogging

I was just looking for suggestions on how to start running/jogging long distance to stay in shape. It's been awhile since I've done anything in competitive sports so although I'm not in really bad shape I'm not in good shape by any means either. So, any suggestions?
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:08 PM    (permalink
energizerbunny
Veteran

energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

run until you can't anymore, walk for a bit, and then run again. Repeat process until suddenly you find the distance you run before you stop keeps increasing.
Running is great for staying mentally focused because when you first start you just want to stop.

Also the phrase if you don't use it you lose it really applies to cardio.
energizerbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:11 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well I run XC so here are my easy tips:

Considering on how bad you are out of shape, I'd first run a one mile warmup. Do it at like 9 minute pace depending again on how bad you are out of shape. Stretch out.

Now, really you want to iron out 3-4 miles a day. Though you can start with just 2 for the first day or two. I would say if you do 3-4, don't do it like it's a huge race; but take it a bit harder than the warmup.

Then run a slow cool-down for a few minutes. Get your heart rate back to normal more progressively.

Rinse/Repeat for the next two weeks then you can start phasing in workout-style runs. Hills, Track Workouts, Tempo runs.

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:12 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by energizerbunny View Post
run until you can't anymore, walk for a bit, and then run again. Repeat process until suddenly you find the distance you run before you stop keeps increasing.
Running is great for staying mentally focused because when you first start you just want to stop.

Also the phrase if you don't use it you lose it really applies to cardio.
But you're not allowed to stop. It's your motto, you keep going and going and going and going.....
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:19 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I run anywhere from 3-6 miles a day on average with usually one good 10 miler a week. My suggestion is to just find a pace you feel comfortable running at. Unless you are competing in some sort of race, nobody cares how fast you run. My shorter 3 miler runs I usually run at a 6:30 per mile pace and if I'm running 5 or more I usually slow it down to a good 8 minute pace
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:25 PM    (permalink
'cuse-213
Pro Bowler

'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldnt tell the guy to go run 3 miles a day haha. Im in good shape and id be dead after that. Though im not trained for long distance.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:47 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliez01 View Post
Well I run XC so here are my easy tips:

Considering on how bad you are out of shape, I'd first run a one mile warmup. Do it at like 9 minute pace depending again on how bad you are out of shape. Stretch out.

Now, really you want to iron out 3-4 miles a day. Though you can start with just 2 for the first day or two. I would say if you do 3-4, don't do it like it's a huge race; but take it a bit harder than the warmup.

Then run a slow cool-down for a few minutes. Get your heart rate back to normal more progressively.

Rinse/Repeat for the next two weeks then you can start phasing in workout-style runs. Hills, Track Workouts, Tempo runs.
Awesome thats the kind of breakdown I was looking for. I'm not really in bad shape before I left for college I played pickup basketball all the time but I just wasn't in good shape either. Not like I'm that overweight I'm actually pretty light for my height like 5'11 155 when I left, I'd just like to add some endurance while getting better in shape. I ran a pretty good distance today, not positive on how long it was but I'd say 2-3 miles. I should be running once daily, correct?

And SuperKevin that's amazing, I can only hope that I'm able to run like that someday. Not only the distances, but the times are very good too. Were/are you in the military at all by any chance?
Old 08-27-2007, 10:06 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I might try a bunch of different things. As said, I'd start light, find and build up your pace, start up with a 2 miler your first day at medium pace, say 7-8 mile pace and then see how that feels. If that's tough and you're dying afterwards, then do that same exact thing for about a week and just slowly increase your speed and distance as you feel yourself getting in better shape.

It's also important to keep a steady heart rate, so do a quick cool down run to get it back to normal when you're done, and maybe do some push ups as well.

Stretch a lot and where the proper shoes, when I first started running, I wore indoor soccer shoes and i developed a serious case of tendonitis and couldn't run for 2 weeks, about 3 months later and I still have it, my tendon is so swolen that it presses against the nerve of my foot and sends a rush of pain, like an electrocution, up my leg on contact. So basically it's very important that you get your foot fitted and get proper running shoes, don't run in any old casual shoes.

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:19 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Awesome thats the kind of breakdown I was looking for. I'm not really in bad shape before I left for college I played pickup basketball all the time but I just wasn't in good shape either. Not like I'm that overweight I'm actually pretty light for my height like 5'11 155 when I left, I'd just like to add some endurance while getting better in shape. I ran a pretty good distance today, not positive on how long it was but I'd say 2-3 miles. I should be running once daily, correct?

And SuperKevin that's amazing, I can only hope that I'm able to run like that someday. Not only the distances, but the times are very good too. Were/are you in the military at all by any chance?
I'm a US Marine
Old 08-28-2007, 10:28 AM    (permalink
Scar
Rookie

Scar hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Also, if possible, find grass or dirt trails to run on for your first several weeks. Avoid pavement. Until your legs get used to the pounding, they'll be highly succeptable to shin splints. If you get those, you won't be able to run for long enough that you'll be back to square one. Just go a couple of miles a day until your joints and muscles start feeling good. Then add the miles. It usually took about 3-4 months before I was up to an 18 miler back in my running years.
Scar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:44 AM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.

Quote:
I was just looking for suggestions on how to start running/jogging long distance to stay in shape. It's been awhile since I've done anything in competitive sports so although I'm not in really bad shape I'm not in good shape by any means either. So, any suggestions?
I have been running races for years now from 5k up to half marathons. The number one thing you need to do if you are just getting started is go to a running store and get good running sneakers. Make sure you stretch alot before you run. Dont try to do to much to fast. Just start out slow and work your way up.

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
RyanLeaf#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:52 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLeaf#1 View Post
I have been running races for years now from 5k up to half marathons. The number one thing you need to do if you are just getting started is go to a running store and get good running sneakers. Make sure you stretch alot before you run. Dont try to do to much to fast. Just start out slow and work your way up.
What exactly would you consider good running sneakers? I usually get running shoes when I buy them, right now I have the Nike Shox. Will those get the job done? Also I'm not running around a track or anything, so any suggestions for hills i.e. how to run them (both up and down), or if I should just avoid them.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:20 AM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nike Shox aren't too bad. I like the Nike Air Huaraches personally but any running shoe will do good.

Hills?

Well let's just say you do 10 minutes of charging hills. Pump your arms, run forward (obviously) and really charge those hills. Leaning forward helps a lot too, but not too far of course. Control yourself going down hill. Keep your form but it's more recovery going down hills.

I would avoid them early on. It's rather strenous depending on the hill, but get your body into a bit of shape.

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Scar
Rookie

Scar hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Good sneakers are going to vary for every runner. Go to a good store where they'll be able to recommend the right shoe for you. There's too many issues to consider to just take a blind recommendation over the internet. Personally, I've found that Nike tends to focus more on cushioning than support. If you don't have wide feet or do have high arches, Nike might not be your best bet.

Last edited by Scar : 08-28-2007 at 12:18 PM. Reason: missed a word, had said the opposite of what I meant to say
Scar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:05 PM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.

Quote:
What exactly would you consider good running sneakers? I usually get running shoes when I buy them, right now I have the Nike Shox. Will those get the job done? Also I'm not running around a track or anything, so any suggestions for hills i.e. how to run them (both up and down), or if I should just avoid them.
I dont run on a track either. I wear New Balances imo they are the best running sneakers in the world. Running up hills is good for training. Make sure when you are running down them you slow up. Because once you get to the bottom if you are going to fast you wont be able to keep up that pace.

Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
Old 08-28-2007, 12:09 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha reminds me of something yesterday, I coach youth football as an assistant, and we were running hills and one kid was running down the hill to fast and his body upended his legs and he ended up doing a huge front flip down the hill, he was crying of course, but I was trying not to laugh, wish I could have had it on tape.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:10 PM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghettosermon View Post
Haha reminds me of something yesterday, I coach youth football as an assistant, and we were running hills and one kid was running down the hill to fast and his body upended his legs and he ended up doing a huge front flip down the hill, he was crying of course, but I was trying not to laugh, wish I could have had it on tape.
Yea you definitely have to slow your pace when your going down a hill. I could understand a kid doing it though.

Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
Old 08-28-2007, 12:31 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

I would avoid Nike running shoes. Personally I find them too expensive and they don't hold up very well. The only reason I have Nike running shoes is because I live near the outlet store. I've had 2 pairs fall apart on me so far this year and I'll probably need a new pair by october. New Balance makes so awesome running shoes
Old 08-28-2007, 12:33 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghettosermon View Post
I prefer running uphill for that very reason. I'm not exactly a mountain goat when it comes to balance so I have to run downhill very carefully, especially since I run a lot of rocky mountain trails.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:37 PM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

Freddy G hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I play soccer, so i kind of run a lot anyway. But when we don't have practice or during the offseason i usually run a pretty hard 2-3 miles (~5-6 min pace) then get my heartrate back down and do ~20 yard sprint suicides until i can't breath, then take it easy back to my house or car. It also good to mix in some hills, and if you live close to the beach, run there. A mile in soft sand feels like 5 on pavement, its great!

Also, STRETCH A LOT, at least for a good 20 min before you start. Then get a good warm up....THEN start your run. If your going to let your heart rate rest in the middle (circut training) STRETCH!!! Then have a good 5-10 min cool down and strech somemore.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

We don't give a DAMN for the whole state of Michigan
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 01:25 PM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

Ran my first half marathon today finished it in about 2 hours. Im in pain though.

Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2