Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-11-2006, 01:09 AM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No, I don't think we need to have Crayton at two. We need to see what Hurd can do. I need to know if Romo's connection with Hurd will continue in the regular season. I agree that we need to throw to him early. He's an undrafted FA, so the defense is going to be all about TO, and we need to establish that Hurd is a weapon early to open up TO and the run game.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:18 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I agree. I do like how Romo seems to spread the ball around. Quick reads and decisions are key, and Romo makes them. To me, Hurd showed that he has the ability to find the holes and get open. I'm looking forward to seeing him Sunday.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:23 PM    (permalink
$KidCowboy$
Rookie

$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I also hope that Austin gets some snaps at WR if he's active and returning kicks. I watched him some in college and he was dominant.
BTW, his one high-school kickoff return was a touchdown.

Thanks Tobzilla
$KidCowboy$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:10 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by $KidCowboy$
I also hope that Austin gets some snaps at WR if he's active and returning kicks. I watched him some in college and he was dominant.
I'm very confused about Austin. Coming in to training camp everyone thought he would be our best UFA. He was very highly touted and we thought he would be the Sam Hurd of training camp. But when we got into training camp and the preseason, Sam Hurd made a lot of noise. Austin did practically nothing. So then when cuts came, Austin made the team. So, is he the highly touted guy that came in tho training camp, or the one that had no impact coming out? So, I'd like to see him in the game, too. I want to know what we've got with him.

BoneKrusher
Old 11-11-2006, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

He did score on that touchdown pass from Romo in the Saints game. He's got good measurerables and good speed. Plus, he's one of those gritty small school guys from up north. Let's hope he pans out like Marques Colston.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Old 11-11-2006, 01:33 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12
Quote:
I'm very confused about Austin. Coming in to training camp everyone thought he would be our best UFA. He was very highly touted and we thought he would be the Sam Hurd of training camp. But when we got into training camp and the preseason, Sam Hurd made a lot of noise. Austin did practically nothing. So then when cuts came, Austin made the team. So, is he the highly touted guy that came in tho training camp, or the one that had no impact coming out? So, I'd like to see him in the game, too. I want to know what we've got with him.
I read somewhere that the main reason the Cowboys kept both Hurd and Austin was that they knew for certain that other teams would pick them up immediately if they cut them. My impression is that they must have seen something they liked in Austin, but he's behind Hurd in development. If you remember, a couple of years ago Terrance Copper seemed ahead of Patrick Crayton for most of their rookie year. But seemingly by the end of the year and definitely by the beginning of their 2nd year, Crayton had surpassed Copper. Maybe it will be that way with Hurd and Austin, although I do like Hurd.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:39 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Good point. I'm anxious to see what we have.

Albert Camus
Old 11-11-2006, 01:44 PM    (permalink
TheBoss
Rookie

TheBoss hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinChase
I read somewhere that the main reason the Cowboys kept both Hurd and Austin was that they knew for certain that other teams would pick them up immediately if they cut them. My impression is that they must have seen something they liked in Austin, but he's behind Hurd in development. If you remember, a couple of years ago Terrance Copper seemed ahead of Patrick Crayton for most of their rookie year. But seemingly by the end of the year and definitely by the beginning of their 2nd year, Crayton had surpassed Copper. Maybe it will be that way with Hurd and Austin, although I do like Hurd.
Hopefully both guys can develop into good players. I'm not sure about #1 WR material, but hey, that's what they said about Chad Johnson, Marques Colston and so forth. Guys that are built from that same mold.

I know I might get flamed for this, and I know it is a overrated stat. But I just want to know. But does anybody know the 40 times for both Hurd and Austin?
Old 11-11-2006, 01:50 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinChase
Hopefully both guys can develop into good players. I'm not sure about #1 WR material, but hey, that's what they said about Chad Johnson, Marques Colston and so forth. Guys that are built from that same mold.

I know I might get flamed for this, and I know it is a overrated stat. But I just want to know. But does anybody know the 40 times for both Hurd and Austin?
According to the 2006 NFL Combine site, Austin's time was 4.47. Apparently Hurd wasn't invited to the combine.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:26 PM    (permalink
cowboyz
Rookie

cowboyz hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

with the news of glenn's knee hopefully BP will move up in the draft to get ted ginn.

our oline is fine, they just need to play together longer. so draft a G in the 2nd round to replace rivera when he retires. i really wish they had drafted o'callaghan this year.

i'm more worried about the NT position. if ferguson goes down, he takes down the entire defense.

i don't see hurd doing too well, he just looks like a crayton clone. no quickness. don't get me wrong, crayton has great hands, but he's not a game breaker like glenn
cowboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 03:05 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyz
i'm more worried about the NT position. if ferguson goes down, he takes down the entire defense.
I've been trying to point this out for months now. At every other position on defense we have a suitable, even decent backup. Not at NT. Ferguson goes down, and we're boned. Getting a NT via the draft or FA is CRUCIAL.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
Quote:
I've been trying to point this out for months now. At every other position on defense we have a suitable, even decent backup. Not at NT. Ferguson goes down, and we're boned. Getting a NT via the draft or FA is CRUCIAL.
I know, that's what I was saying after we cut Stanley. He turned out to be nothing, and we have nobody. The 07 draft isn't exactly busting at the seams with them, either. It doesn't look good if Fergeson goes down. We also need a future there. Fergeson is 32. He'll start declining, and we'll need a guy who can take over for a defense that will be in it's prime. About the draft... There's Amobi Okoye, and posibly DeMarcus Tyler who could fit that role. I don't really see anybody in Free Agency who would even fit in the 3-4. It's not a good year to need a NT.

BoneKrusher
Old 11-11-2006, 04:12 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Quote:
i don't see hurd doing too well, he just looks like a crayton clone. no quickness. don't get me wrong, crayton has great hands, but he's not a game breaker like glenn
Hurd has more quickness than Crayton. He's not the most atheletic presence on the feild, but he's got good quickness and agility for his speed. Plus, Hurd has great hands.

BoneKrusher
Old 11-11-2006, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

I think you have good fits on the field with Owens being the gamebreaker(hopefully) and two targets like Crayton and Hurd who can make the difficult catch. While it's not been proven with Hurd yet, he has that potential. Crayton is more of the known commodity.

Albert Camus
Old 11-11-2006, 04:55 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
Austin performed well in training camp and showed a lot of potential, but the Cowboys were hoping to get him onto the practice squad so he got very few reps in the preseason. Other teams obviously saw the potential as well and there was at least 1 team in the NFL that had a roster spot they could spend on a developmental guy. Austin probably won't have an impact on offense until next season, he just needs to become a more polished WR.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:11 PM    (permalink
scoopdawg
Veteran

scoopdawg hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallas
Quote:
Quote:
Austin performed well in training camp and showed a lot of potential, but the Cowboys were hoping to get him onto the practice squad so he got very few reps in the preseason. Other teams obviously saw the potential as well and there was at least 1 team in the NFL that had a roster spot they could spend on a developmental guy. Austin probably won't have an impact on offense until next season, he just needs to become a more polished WR.
Austin seemed overated from the start and was overshadowed by rector and hurd which are way better than Austin
scoopdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:23 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

I don't think it was a question of Austin being shown up. I think it was more Bill playing Rector giving him more opportunites to prove his abilities. By and large Rector performed well. Hurd was a find, completely unexpected. He even began to show on special teams which Parcells deemed necessary for him to remain on the roster. I believe Austin has ability. If he didn't, he would have been gone, and we would have ourselves an additional roster spot. I think he just needs an opportunity. Maybe this is it.

Albert Camus
Old 11-11-2006, 06:29 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If DeMarcus Ware doesn't get 2 sacks against the Arizona Oline, then something is seriously wrong. Ive been backing him up in the Merriman debate, but if he comes out looking average against the Cardinals, then maybe the separation between the 2 is bigger than we think.

All in all, this is obviously a must win. I think you guys can go 9-7 at worst this season, which leaves no room for error. If this game is a loss, pack it up because the season is over.

I wouldn't count out the Cardinals either. They do have a good defense. A couple of turnovers, and this thing could get interesting. I have a feeling though that Dallas is gonna want revenge against poor surfer boy Matt Leinart.

But I want to see more out of Ware. He's not doing what he's capable of doing. He needs to step it up.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:36 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Agreed. I would love to see him in better positions to cause havoc against the quarterback. Move him around a little just to mix things up.

Albert Camus
Old 11-11-2006, 06:39 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poet3334
Agreed. I would love to see him in better positions to cause havoc against the quarterback. Move him around a little just to mix things up.
Yup. Im putting some of it on the coaching staff too for not being creative with him. Parcells needs to mix it up with him more.

But even then, he should do more than he has. He didn't abuse Carolina's mediocre tackles at all, in fact they worked him. Its like he plays down to his competition. And his pass rush techniques need alot of refinement. He either does an all out speed rush or an all out bullrush. He's still unpolished.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:44 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

That line was the same one that he abused last year. I think it's strictly the scheme. He's got a lot on his plate AND he's always in the game. Because of it, I don't think he's got sufficient energy to rush the passer the way that he needs to.

Albert Camus
Old 11-11-2006, 06:54 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
That line was the same one that he abused last year. I think it's strictly the scheme. He's got a lot on his plate AND he's always in the game. Because of it, I don't think he's got sufficient energy to rush the passer the way that he needs to.
Yeah, I have to say that Im disappointed in Parcells use of Ware. It seems like I see Ellis get more favorable matchups in this scheme compared to Ware. Ware can play inside on some plays if need be, but all Parcells does is line him up at WILL or DE. They don't even use any delayed blitzes, or stunt blitzes. And even after all of that, the defense is still scary.

I remember him saying that he studied tape of Freeney and Derrick Thomas in the offseason and worked on the spin move and other techniques to rush the passer. Was he lying? He barely uses any technique to his pass rush, its like hes trying to physically outperform the other guy. He doesn't set anyone up. He just goes and does what he does. I think not having a 3-4 DC is hindering his growth. Its ultimately a Parcells scheme, but he can't expend all his energy teaching his defense, thats the DC's job. And the DC doesn't know the defense well enough to properly teach these young guys. I think thats part of the reason why we're seeing a lack of progression from guys like Ware and Spears.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:54 PM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

fryman hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
I don't think it was a question of Austin being shown up. I think it was more Bill playing Rector giving him more opportunites to prove his abilities. By and large Rector performed well. Hurd was a find, completely unexpected. He even began to show on special teams which Parcells deemed necessary for him to remain on the roster. I believe Austin has ability. If he didn't, he would have been gone, and we would have ourselves an additional roster spot. I think he just needs an opportunity. Maybe this is it.
Hurd wasn't really unexpected. There are plenty of people that saw this type of play coming. When Austin and Hurd were both signed everybody was only talking about Austin though. At that same time I posted something about Hurd and to watch out for him, and only got one response. For some reason people on this board just knew more about Austin.
fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:56 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

As far as mixing it up with the entire defense, why not put Ellis' hand down every now and then? Turn into a 4-3 to keep the defense off it's heels.

LE:Greg Ellis
DT:Marcus Spears
DT:Jason Fergeson
RE:Chris Canty

LOLB:Akin Adoyele
MLB:Bradie James
ROLB:DeMarcus Ware

BoneKrusher
Old 11-11-2006, 07:02 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
As far as mixing it up with the entire defense, why not put Ellis' hand down every now and then? Turn into a 4-3 to keep the defense off it's heels.

LE:Greg Ellis
DT:Marcus Spears
DT:Jason Fergeson
RE:Chris Canty

LOLB:Akin Adoyele
MLB:Bradie James
ROLB:DeMarcus Ware
Ellis does get to put his hand on the ground in the nickel. I don't think switching formations is the right way to go about it. If Ellis is rushing from the 3-4, everyone basically has the responsibilities as they would in a 4-3, but they have the advantage of not showing it pre-snap.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote