Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 09-20-2007, 04:58 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default My take on the Jets...

Quote:
New York Jets

∑ SPECIAL TEAMS
o Kicker/Punter: Great, no need for adjusting, Nugent’s quickly becoming a top kicker and Grahams an above average punter with an awkward spin and good placement.
o Defensive: Has looked awful to be honest. Westoff’s amongst the best ST coaches in the NFL, so I’m not sure how big of an issue this is, but we should consider defensive special teams when making late round selections.
o Offensive: Usually great, outstanding, amongst the best, but we took a huge blow with the loss of Miller. I think Washington can handle it, but honestly I don’t know if Kick Returning is Washington’s specialty though, because he doesn’t often break for the huge runs, so we might need to look for an upgrade.
∑ OFFENSE:
o Quarter Back: We seem to be pretty set at this position. Chad Pennington is one of the most efficient QB’s in the NFL when healthy, but even more so, Kellen Clemens looks to have a bright, bright future. He showed that he’s got poise, confidence, and can carry a team late in the game. He also showed that he can make every kind of throw and can put the ball where only the receiver can catch it. He has also formed an on field connection with our up and coming WR Jerricho Cotchery, which will be important for the future.
o Running Back: This position worries me a little bit. I don’t like at all how it’s been managed. I think there should literally be a 60-40 split on carries between Jones and Leon, when in actuality, Leon’s gotten nothing. Jones is a fine runner, he’s a bruiser and can eat up yardage for you, but I love the game Washington plays and I think he needs to, NEEDS to get more carries for the run game to be diversified, successful, and ultimately help Thomas Jones personally lift up his game. We can probably lay off touching the RB position for at least another year, to see how it pans out.
o Full Back: Needs an upgrade, from what I've seen at least. I mean our FB's were getting manhandled by the pass rushers against both the Pats and the Ravens. We need a solid FB who can block.
o Wide Receiver: We’re set at this position for sure. People forget that Coles is a veteran, and a damn good one at that, but still only 29 and with Cotchery being only 25, we’ve got quite a tandem at the WR position for at least a few more years. Both tremendous possession receivers who can run for miles after the catch. We also have some deep threats in Brad Smith and Chansi Stuckey. We don’t need to do anything at the WR position, we’re good.
o Tight End: We need an upgrade here. The TE is such a critical player to the game. We need a TE who can be a force in the red zone and who can be a force blocking. Honestly, I'm not looking or interested in a Vernon Davis, a Kellen Winslow, or an Antonio Gates. We've got WR's who can play damn well, what we need from our TE is someone who can block well and assume some of the pressure that the OL is undergoing, and someone who can be good for us 20 yards and in. A 2nd or 3rd round draft pick on one might not be a bad idea at all...
o Offensive Line: We’re in trouble…
ß LT: D’Brick’s there, he’s our future, he’s started off slow, but I really like how he played against the Ravens, a lot. I think he needs some help though, the rest of the line is making him look awful.
ß LG: Needs an IMMEDIATE upgrade. I would very, very, very, very much prefer a veteran addition to this team. Building for the future at LG, while important, isn’t necessarily smart right now. We need D’Brick to instantly start performing for us, and the only way we can help him out, is by adding a talented veteran LG. We need to trade for one or sign one via free agency, I don’t think drafting one is good enough right now, not even in the first round. I truly believe, that with a veteran talent at this position, our OL will look so much better.
ß C: We’re good, Mangold’s a stud.
ß RG: We’re not good…Brandon Moore, two years ago, looked to be a phenomenal player, but he has not done anything since then. He’s not what we need, and one of the reasons for our lack of success at the OL. Draft early, draft late, trade, sign as FA, w/e, we need a new RG. If we decide to go RT in the first round of this draft, and just in general upgrade at RT and LG THIS YEAR, then I think we can hold off one more year with Moore and wait till next off-season.
ß RT: This is a top priority. We need to pick up a top RT in the draft, whether it be the first or second round. We have so much, SO MUCH talent on offense, that it’s a shame to waste it all because of no RT. This is a critical position of upgrade.

Overall, our offensive has some dynamic tools. We’re set for the future in a lot of positions and have some very talented players. We do however, needs some drastic upgrades on the line to help our offense settle out.
I was just typing up my issues with the Jets and how I feel about them position by position, and basically my input on what needs to be done in the off-season to upgrade our team, kinda to help out mangini for president in the Forum Mock. I will be adding a defensive write-up as well, but for now, here's the offensive side of the ball. Tell me what you guys think...

Jets will not take McFadden...

Last edited by nvot9 : 09-20-2007 at 05:07 PM.
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:08 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thanks for the solid write-up. i'd agree with what u said, but u failed to mention Justin McCairens or however u spell that bums name. yet again another solid pre-season only to come out and not only fizzle, but drop 2 balls in the clutch last week.

Justin Miller lose really hurts, but all washington needs to do is shorten the field, which he can do. i don't expect TDs from him.

I agree with the RB situation. Leon needs more touches, no doubt. i was suprsed considering that Jones wasn't 100% that he didn't get more carries....

Oline is a top priority. i'm sure u'll say the same about our dreadful pass-rush

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:16 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
Thanks for the solid write-up. i'd agree with what u said, but u failed to mention Justin McCairens or however u spell that bums name. yet again another solid pre-season only to come out and not only fizzle, but drop 2 balls in the clutch last week.

Justin Miller lose really hurts, but all washington needs to do is shorten the field, which he can do. i don't expect TDs from him.

I agree with the RB situation. Leon needs more touches, no doubt. i was suprsed considering that Jones wasn't 100% that he didn't get more carries....

Oline is a top priority. i'm sure u'll say the same about our dreadful pass-rush
Yea, I will, but I think that it's not a first round need. Well let me rephrase that, it is a first round need, but not as big of one as the OL is. PLUS, it's much easier to find a talented pass rusher later in the draft, I mean there's so many example of that in the last 2 or 3 years. Also, I hope they look at Terrell Suggs...

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:09 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've said it in the other thread but IMO with how terrible our defensive line is at taking up blockers Suggs would be a waste of money, plus I doubt he's coming to NY anyway I hear he's not much of a fan.

Anyways, if this relates to what positions we're taking in the draft, I think outside of a couple of positions BPA is the direction we should go in. I'd exclude QB, a pure LT (Sam Baker type), C, ILB, and any DL or OLB that doesn't fit in our scheme. I think if the best player available is a RB, WR, TE, G, RT, DL, OLB, CB, or S, you could make a case that we should take that player.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:51 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Special Team has been pretty bad. We were lucky not to allow two TDs in our first two games off of kick offs. Our opponent always seems to get good field position. On the other-side of that, Leon Washington had zero chances to return a punt last week.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:59 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I've said it in the other thread but IMO with how terrible our defensive line is at taking up blockers Suggs would be a waste of money, plus I doubt he's coming to NY anyway I hear he's not much of a fan.

Anyways, if this relates to what positions we're taking in the draft, I think outside of a couple of positions BPA is the direction we should go in. I'd exclude QB, a pure LT (Sam Baker type), C, ILB, and any DL or OLB that doesn't fit in our scheme. I think if the best player available is a RB, WR, TE, G, RT, DL, OLB, CB, or S, you could make a case that we should take that player.

i have heard from other people he didn't like new york, but neither did johnny damon. It's funny how money and winning has a chance of changing someones tune haha. BUt i do agree on the BPA. I wouldn't be surprised to see us move up or down too.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:27 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, regardless of whether or not he comes our defensive line isn't good enough for him to really excel and I don't think he's worth the money. We need to build through the draft and role player free agents for now, once we get to the point where we're a piece or two away then I think we can go after a Suggs-type player. But I really don't see why he would leave the Ravens, a successful franchise with great fans, a great defense around him, and an awesome defensive coordinator that uses him very well. Plus I don't think we give him all that much better of a shot at winning than the Ravens do. It seems I'm the only one that doesn't think he makes sense with where we're at right now, but that's just my opinion I may as well stop putting it out thre though it really doesn't matter all that much.

Anyway, glad you agree with the BPA strategy, I think it's the best way to build a team especially a team like ours that has no absolutely glaring first round weaknesses but no unbelievable strengths either, as I said in that post. I also agree with you completely, I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade up or a trade down, especially if Mangini finds a guy that he thinks can be a stud nose tackle in the middle. If that guy is in this draft, I see us doing everything we can to move up and get them. And there are a couple of guys that are going to be looked at highly in this draft that don't make sense for this team, i.e. a Sam Baker, any quarterback, or a back like Slaton if he comes out that doesn't make much sense for us IMO. If a guy like that slips to us I could see a trade down, but otherwise I think a trade up is much more likely if we do find that guy that can take up blockers inside, or a versatile defender that we think can help give us a little more identity on that side of the ball. Only offensive guy I could see us trading up for at this point is Jake Long.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote