Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 10-15-2007, 01:16 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Yes, I definately agree. Safeties are a huge part of this defense in run support, and its inexcuseable to play like that. I think its time to give up on Manning, he's just not a FS in the Cover 2, maybe not a good player at all, who knows. I expected Arch to play better though. He should at least help with run support, and he's done an average job in that regards as well.

I guess Safety is definately on the agenda in this year's offseason. I know hindsight is 20/20, but not getting one last year hurt a little bit.
Trading Chris Harris probably wasn't the smartest move either, though I was never a huge fan of his. Arch was actually benched in the second half, they speculated it was because of his hand injury but I don't buy that.

The truth is that with Mike Brown and Kevin Payne on IR it will probably be Danieal Manning and Brandon McGowan at the safety positions for the rest of the year, sink or swim. I would still like to give Archuleta a chance, and hope that he's starting next week, because while he's struggled this year he has shown the ability to play SS in the cover 2 at a high level, something that McGowan has no ability to do IMO.

But yeah...we need to pick up at least one safety next year, probably two. I know Mike Doss signed a one year deal with Minnesota. He's not great but I'd take him over the guys we have right now.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we need to let Cedric Benson play. Whenever he gets in any kind of a rhythm or groove he's pulled or we completely change our gameplan. He was on his way to a decent game, and then we flat out stopped giving him the ball.

sig by VLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I don't care...
Hurricane Ditka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:34 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ditka View Post
I think we need to let Cedric Benson play. Whenever he gets in any kind of a rhythm or groove he's pulled or we completely change our gameplan. He was on his way to a decent game, and then we flat out stopped giving him the ball.
Normally I would agree with you, but the offense did fine yesterday. While it didn't help Benson much, the TEAM put up points, and thats all you ask for.

Can't blame the offense on this one. This one falls squarely on the defense.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:44 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Normally I would agree with you, but the offense did fine yesterday. While it didn't help Benson much, the TEAM put up points, and thats all you ask for.

Can't blame the offense on this one. This one falls squarely on the defense.
We put up points at the end of the game. Because of how poorly our defense was playing we could have used a few long sustained drives early in the third and fourth quarter.

sig by VLS
Quote:
I don't care...
Old 10-15-2007, 05:35 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We need to open up the offense like we did at the end of the game. We played conservative all game long, then when we needed to put up points Turner opened up the offense to passes beyond 10+ yards and we did great IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:45 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, part of that may have to do with the Vikings pass defense.

Also, I agree with BBD that I can't really put much blame on the offense, even if they did score two touchdowns late to make the final score closer.

But it looks to me like the Bears offense is coming together more and more, which is great for them as the defense is as banged up as it is. The offensive line is improving, and we're starting to see the successful plays that bearfan is noting, we're seeing Cedric Benson doing some very good running against even a stout Vikings run defense, we're seeing signs of like from Muhsin Muhammed and Devin Hester on offense, and we're seeing the impact from rookie Greg Olsen and veteran Desmond Clark as a quarterback's comfort zone. Most importantly, we're seeing the offense score a good deal of points such that they have a great chance to win if they can continue.

If memory serves correct, they scored 27 at Lambeau and 31 at home in consecutive weeks, no? And that's against division rivals who have great familiarity with you, with very good defenses.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:46 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Well, part of that may have to do with the Vikings pass defense.

Also, I agree with BBD that I can't really put much blame on the offense, even if they did score two touchdowns late to make the final score closer.

But it looks to me like the Bears offense is coming together more and more, which is great for me as the defense is as banged up as it is. The offensive line is improving, and we're starting to see the successful plays that bearfan is noting, we're seeing Cedric Benson doing some very good running against even a stout Vikings run defense, we're seeing signs of like from Muhsin Muhammed and Devin Hester on offense, and we're seeing the impact from rookie Greg Olsen and veteran Desmond Clark as a quarterback's comfort zone. Most importantly, we're seeing the offense score a good deal of points such that they have a great chance to win if they can continue.

If memory serves correct, they scored 27 at Lambeau and 31 at home in consecutive weeks, no? And that's against division rivals who have great familiarity with you, with very good defenses.
They also scored 27 against the Lions I believe.

It's not THAT complicated. We have a real QB now.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:53 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think, like the Saints, the offensive line is playing much better and the playcalling is better.

Speaking of Greg Olsen, the Bears are trying to get him involved and he could have had an even bigger day if he didn't drop a pass, when he had the middle of the field open to him. I'm interested to see how he does against the Eagles, I think statistically they are among the best in the league in defending the tight end, which surprises me a bit. Especially if Lito Sheppard plays this weekend, him and Sheldon Brown are a pretty good pair of corners, so I'd look for the tight end in many instances.

I'm fairly confident Olsen will do well against the Lions in two weeks, against their work-in-progress Tampa 2 defense, but I'm interested to see how he fares against a very good Eagles defense.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:28 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
They also scored 27 against the Lions I believe.

It's not THAT complicated. We have a real QB now.
I could have scored 27 against the lions.

I'll still homer up for grossman on occasion. And that was it.

I'm just glad to see benson actually pounding the ball and looking like a runner.
Unfortch, when you have AP on the other side... *shakes head*

What did anyone else think of mark anderson? (i wasn't able to actually watch the game yet, i had to drive home while it was on from MI)... did he split time with brown? did he close gaps against peterson?

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:34 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post

What did anyone else think of mark anderson? (i wasn't able to actually watch the game yet, i had to drive home while it was on from MI)... did he split time with brown? did he close gaps against peterson?
No one closed gaps on Peterson...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:37 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

How can anyone still be a fan of Rex Grossman? How? Brian Griese is a below-average starter and our offense looks eons better than it did with Grossman starting.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:13 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How can anyone still be a fan of Rex Grossman? How? Brian Griese is a below-average starter and our offense looks eons better than it did with Grossman starting.
Well, it's not hard.

You, 51, i bet the words coming out of your mouth after week five last year were, wow, that grossman guy looks like a real pro. (of course i wasn't here then, so i'm just assuming what everyone who's a chicago bears fan said that day after week five... hell, i'll even say week 8...)

he hasn't lost his tools, his arm, his touch, nor was he credited last year for making bad decisions (remember, he went on some sick 10:1 ratio streak?) until later in the season, i think he has the capability of being a good quarterback, in the same manner that anyone says jamarcus russell a capability of being a good quarterback... i don't think that grossman has necessarly gone bust yet, i just don't think he's developed properly. and that, yes, not with the bears, someone will pick him up and he'll come back to haunt us. carolina? maybe. who knows if john fox sticks around...

bf, no kidding. from all i heard it was all or nothing. either it was snap and then instant penetration, or AP was running for 14 yards. (or 37, or 63, or 55 or whatever)...

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:30 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Delete.....

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:49 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
Well, it's not hard.

You, 51, i bet the words coming out of your mouth after week five last year were, wow, that grossman guy looks like a real pro. (of course i wasn't here then, so i'm just assuming what everyone who's a chicago bears fan said that day after week five... hell, i'll even say week 8.
Actually, and if there's anyone here that remembers they can back me up, I said before the Cardinals game that Grosman's performance was a total mirage, that he needed 10 seconds in the pocket to find a reciever, that he still hopped around like a ******** midget, and that he couldn't complete a pass that wasn't a bomb to Berrian.

So no...I've never been warm on Grossman. I've never been warm on any Quarterback that's not at least 6'2 for the record though. I ******* hated Doug Flutie. Still do actually.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:27 PM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Actually, and if there's anyone here that remembers they can back me up, I said before the Cardinals game that Grosman's performance was a total mirage, that he needed 10 seconds in the pocket to find a reciever, that he still hopped around like a ******** midget, and that he couldn't complete a pass that wasn't a bomb to Berrian.

So no...I've never been warm on Grossman. I've never been warm on any Quarterback that's not at least 6'2 for the record though. I ******* hated Doug Flutie. Still do actually.
I remember you posting this before the Cardinals game last year. You basically jinxed Grossman from that point on and I don't think I'll ever forgive you for that =).

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...read.php?t=846

Grossman can probably salvage his career somewhere else, but I highly doubt it will be in Chicago.
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:30 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:

Sweetness on the other hand. His mouth still probably tastes like Grossman's balls.

sig by VLS
Quote:
I don't care...
Old 10-17-2007, 11:09 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I went back and saw the tape of most of the big runs that Peterson pulled off. I played attention to Urlacher in particular, and I noticed these things.

Either one or the other happened.

1. Urlacher hit the wrong gap and created a huge running hole to run through, or was sucked in by the initial direction of the run, and got juked by the misdirection. In these instances, I fault Urlacher soley, he shouldn't be making those mistakes.

2. The dline did not do a good job occuping linemen and Urlacher had to take on Guards or Tackles and got swallowed as a result. Now this is both the dline's fault and Urlacher's fault. The dline simply has to do a better job preventing linemen from getting to the second level.

But its also Urlacher's fault, because for a guy so big and physical, I expect him to shed blocks alot better. He's 255 lbs. He's not 230. Why is he getting dismantled by the linemen like that? At that size, with his combination of speed, and physical strength, he should be doing a much better job shedding blocks. I know he's great when unblocked, but anyone can make an open field tackle, the best in the business should be able to disengage too. Im disappointed in his inability to shed blocks. For his size, he's simply got to do a better job at it. If Patrick Willis can do it with ease, so should Urlacher.

After analyzing those plays, as much as he's the best in the business, Urlacher definately didn't play like it on Sunday. Perhaps we underestimated Tank Johnson's value to this team?

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:53 PM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I went back and saw the tape of most of the big runs that Peterson pulled off. I played attention to Urlacher in particular, and I noticed these things.

Either one or the other happened.

1. Urlacher hit the wrong gap and created a huge running hole to run through, or was sucked in by the initial direction of the run, and got juked by the misdirection. In these instances, I fault Urlacher soley, he shouldn't be making those mistakes.

2. The dline did not do a good job occuping linemen and Urlacher had to take on Guards or Tackles and got swallowed as a result. Now this is both the dline's fault and Urlacher's fault. The dline simply has to do a better job preventing linemen from getting to the second level.

But its also Urlacher's fault, because for a guy so big and physical, I expect him to shed blocks alot better. He's 255 lbs. He's not 230. Why is he getting dismantled by the linemen like that? At that size, with his combination of speed, and physical strength, he should be doing a much better job shedding blocks. I know he's great when unblocked, but anyone can make an open field tackle, the best in the business should be able to disengage too. Im disappointed in his inability to shed blocks. For his size, he's simply got to do a better job at it. If Patrick Willis can do it with ease, so should Urlacher.

After analyzing those plays, as much as he's the best in the business, Urlacher definately didn't play like it on Sunday. Perhaps we underestimated Tank Johnson's value to this team?

Just my 2 cents.

Urlacher has been stiff and a step slower this year. I think he's been sitting out of a lot of practices with back problems. All I know is he definitely does not look the same out there. All in all the defense just seemed to be playing with a lot less intensity ever since the Cowboys loss. Just not swarming the same as we used to.
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:48 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Sweetness on the other hand. His mouth still probably tastes like Grossman's balls.
Haha I like Rex, but I'd rather have Griese right now and for the rest of the year.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:53 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote: