Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 10-17-2007, 08:26 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I'm not going to go down that road, so I will just say this:

I try to stay away from the whole "mad scientist" line of thinking where someone with my relatively minuscule information base tries to somehow out-think and out-coach people that have 100x the training and 100x the resources to make the judgment. Isn't that a little ridiculous?

You have nothing to back up your statements besides, well this is what I think. Spears is playing the majority of the snaps at strong-side DE in a 3-4, the second most important position on the team for stopping the run. If he were a "bust" like you term him, we would not be anywhere near the top of the league vs the run, which we are, and there would be tons of busted assignments leading to big runs. Add to that all my personal observations from watching each of the games multiple times via the miracle of Tivo, and I have a fairly robust amount of proof on which to base my opinion. Spears is playing well, and getting better each game. THEN combine that all with the quietly positive comments coming out of Valley Ranch about him, and there is nothing else to conclude but that he is playing well.

Now, if you want to complain that he isn't the superstar that you hoped for, or that he has been a disappointment considering what was expected of him coming out of college, then I would still agree. Just because he hasn't shown any dynamic pass rush ability to compliment his impressive play against the run. Still, he is starting caliber, and just because you want a target that will allow you to demonstrate your piercing eye for talent and overall football acumen doesn't mean he deserves your criticism.

I don't make a habit out of defending players just because they are on the Cowboys team. When they deserve to be called out, I'm fine with that, but I have a problem with people trying to be the first to bag on a player to show how smart they are. Call me funny, but that gets on my nerves.

Let me state it like this, Marcus Spears is not what I expected out of a first round pick. He hasn't reached the expectations that I had when we drafted him. I pictured him performing like Luis Castillo has done for the chargers which includes playing well against the run and also being a great pressure player for the 3-4 DE position. I'll give marcus an above average grade on run stuffing, but pass rush is nonexistent. I call him a bust because my definition of a bust would include a first round DE who cannot put pressure on the passer. Your definition may be different from mine. If we got spears in the 3rd or 4th, my expectations would have been met.

I dont rip on spears because I am looking for recognition, I do it out of fresturation.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:43 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Been some time but saw this thread and could not contiain my glee

Defensively
1) We are still slow in the middle of the field, Roy, Bradie et al, and it kills our pass defense.
2) Carpenter looks like he is a bust. (but he needs to play somewhere to prove this)
3) Yes, Marcus Spears is a NT!!!!!!!
4) Our D Coaching staff is over rated. Still can't play proper zone D. Blitz too much. Got totally out coached by New England.
5) We ignored more important D positions in the Draft -- NT, Safety, CB.

Offensively
1) Tony is still mistake prone. Love hsi moxie -- only 16 starts
2) We have not developed a running mentality with a huge line
3) TO still has rock hands and is becoming a JAG
4) We ignored WR in the draft.

On the bright side, 5-1 when we would have predicted 4-2.

Last edited by cowboysforever : 10-17-2007 at 09:57 PM.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:45 PM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

fryman hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
I dont know thule, obviously its hard to tell on tv because you dont see the "game film" version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddHatter View Post
I get that, but unless you go play by play with the game film, you really don't know how many bad plays he had or how many times he was out of position.
Hopefully most people here get the press box videos for the games, with how many people talk coverage.
fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:05 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever View Post
Been some time but saw this thread and could not contiain my glee

Defensively
1) We are still slow in the middle of the field, Roy, Bradie et al, and it kills our pass defense.
2) Carpenter looks like he is a bust. (but he needs to play somewhere to prove this)
3) Yes, Marcus Spears is a NT!!!!!!!
4) Our D Coaching staff is over rated. Still can't play proper zone D. Blitz too much. Got totally out coached by New England.
5) We ignored more important D positions in the Draft -- NT, Safety, CB.

Offensively
1) Tony is still mistake prone. Love hsi moxie -- only 16 starts
2) We have not developed a running mentality with a huge line
3) TO still has rock hands and is becoming a JAG
4) We ignored WR in the draft.

On the bright side, 5-1 when we would have predicted 4-2.
Well isn't it everyones favorite poster Cowboysforever. Surprised to see you back after that absense.

Oh wait you never truly left.

Does anyone else find it funny that Rob was banned 2 days ago on Oct 15th.

Then 2 days later our good ole friend happens to come back out of no where.

The best part about this is...Cowboysforever's last post before his comeback was 1/18.

Rob happened to reg for nfldc on Join Date: 01-24-2007

Rob/Cowboys/your oldest alias....no sense to lie man just man-up and admit you've had three alias's here.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:08 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Well isn't it everyones favorite poster Cowboysforever. Surprised to see you back after that absense.

Oh wait you never truly left.

Does anyone else find it funny that Rob was banned 2 days ago on Oct 15th.

Then 2 days later our good ole friend happens to come back out of no where.

The best part about this is...Cowboysforever's last post before his comeback was 1/18.

Rob happened to reg for nfldc on Join Date: 01-24-2007

Rob/Cowboys/your oldest alias....no sense to lie man just man-up and admit you've had three alias's here.
lol. I was thinking the same thing.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:17 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow Thule with the CSI breakdown.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:39 AM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryman View Post
Hopefully most people here get the press box videos for the games, with how many people talk coverage.
Are they available online? I've looked all over to find press box videos and cannot find anything that doesn't require payment.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:59 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Wow Thule with the CSI breakdown.
Ahah. Btw, for how long has been banned robert?

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:19 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano View Post
Ahah. Btw, for how long has been banned robert?
Gentlemen, you have too much time on your hands spreading un-truths. I accused a few "big name" posters of doing similar and was called insane -- in addition to Madden. But I forgive you all. We are all sinners.

But more importantly it really fantastic to see the "knowledgable veterans" coming around on just about every improvement recommendation I made about this team .... LAST YEAR.

Kudos!
Old 10-18-2007, 11:03 AM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Let me state it like this, Marcus Spears is not what I expected out of a first round pick. He hasn't reached the expectations that I had when we drafted him. I pictured him performing like Luis Castillo has done for the chargers which includes playing well against the run and also being a great pressure player for the 3-4 DE position. I'll give marcus an above average grade on run stuffing, but pass rush is nonexistent. I call him a bust because my definition of a bust would include a first round DE who cannot put pressure on the passer. Your definition may be different from mine. If we got spears in the 3rd or 4th, my expectations would have been met.

I dont rip on spears because I am looking for recognition, I do it out of fresturation.
Fair enough. I can certainly live with that, like I said before. I agree that he has not met expectations. For a guy that Parcells was so damn besotted with, he has been a huge disappointment. Not many fool the Big Tuna's eye, and Marcus seems to have been one of them.

Still, all that said, he could start for probably 50-65% of teams in this league, and really, there is still hope for him. He has made a few dynamic plays so far this year, and had a couple of true man-moments vs. NE. If you have the game recorded, go back and look at the Pats second or third (not sure right of the top of my head) drive. There was a play near midfield in which he literally throws Kaczur aside and nabs Kevin Faulk right at the LOS. It was truly impressive, and I didn't notice it until the second time through. He had 3 or 4 plays like that in the game.

So there is still an outside chance that he becomes that guy. I'm not holding out for it, but it wouldn't completely take me by surprise, either.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:56 AM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
Fair enough. I can certainly live with that, like I said before. I agree that he has not met expectations. For a guy that Parcells was so damn besotted with, he has been a huge disappointment. Not many fool the Big Tuna's eye, and Marcus seems to have been one of them.

Still, all that said, he could start for probably 50-65% of teams in this league, and really, there is still hope for him. He has made a few dynamic plays so far this year, and had a couple of true man-moments vs. NE. If you have the game recorded, go back and look at the Pats second or third (not sure right of the top of my head) drive. There was a play near midfield in which he literally throws Kaczur aside and nabs Kevin Faulk right at the LOS. It was truly impressive, and I didn't notice it until the second time through. He had 3 or 4 plays like that in the game.

So there is still an outside chance that he becomes that guy. I'm not holding out for it, but it wouldn't completely take me by surprise, either.
Well I hope that he and Carpenter prove me wrong and end up being above average or better players in this league.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:44 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Well I hope that he and Carpenter prove me wrong and end up being above average or better players in this league.
We all hope. But there is reason.