Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Diego Chargers Team Forum

San Diego Chargers Team Forum Discuss the Bolts

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2007, 01:51 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jersey
Posts: 2,417
Reputation: 1574
JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.
Default AJ Smith

NOTE: This is not intended to become an AJ vs. Marty debate. We've all been in enough of those, and are entrenched in our opinions over who had to go, what had to be done, etc. It's just to gain a perspective on AJ.

Now, as we all know, AJ has come under a lot of, probably, well deserved scrutiny for his hiring of Norv Turner. A lot of people pick up on his ego, arrogance, etc. and say he should be fired for ruining a possible Super Bowl team, in such an important year.

My take on it is this. AJ Smith is the reason we were a possible Super Bowl team to begin with. Since he took over the team, we've been playing well, and more importantly, drafting and landing good talent to continue building the team. Now, of course it must be mentioned, this could be enitrely due to Marty's coaching and not AJ's drafting. I disagree, I think Marty helped the team, but AJ was more responsible for building the talent to win.

That being said, it certianly appears, and I believe, he made a huge mistake in hiring the coaches this year. Turner and Cotrell have been nothing short of abysmal. It does appear as if AJ's ego got the best of him in beliving he could win with such coaching influences.

I think AJ is certianly responsible for the poor decisions he made in bringing in the coaches he did, and partially responsible for the team's struggles. But, I think everything he did to build this team is enough to offset one year of struggles like this, assuming he can rebound and fix the coaching problem.

Now my question is not was AJ wrong and Marty right, but how responsible is AJ for the downfall we have this year, and does he deserve to be fired over it?
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Philawarepragueacago
Posts: 865
Reputation: 647
Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
NOTE: This is not intended to become an AJ vs. Marty debate. We've all been in enough of those, and are entrenched in our opinions over who had to go, what had to be done, etc. It's just to gain a perspective on AJ.

Now, as we all know, AJ has come under a lot of, probably, well deserved scrutiny for his hiring of Norv Turner. A lot of people pick up on his ego, arrogance, etc. and say he should be fired for ruining a possible Super Bowl team, in such an important year.

My take on it is this. AJ Smith is the reason we were a possible Super Bowl team to begin with. Since he took over the team, we've been playing well, and more importantly, drafting and landing good talent to continue building the team. Now, of course it must be mentioned, this could be enitrely due to Marty's coaching and not AJ's drafting. I disagree, I think Marty helped the team, but AJ was more responsible for building the talent to win.

That being said, it certianly appears, and I believe, he made a huge mistake in hiring the coaches this year. Turner and Cotrell have been nothing short of abysmal. It does appear as if AJ's ego got the best of him in beliving he could win with such coaching influences.

I think AJ is certianly responsible for the poor decisions he made in bringing in the coaches he did, and partially responsible for the team's struggles. But, I think everything he did to build this team is enough to offset one year of struggles like this, assuming he can rebound and fix the coaching problem.

Now my question is not was AJ wrong and Marty right, but how responsible is AJ for the downfall we have this year, and does he deserve to be fired over it?
Im pro-AJ have been since the start.. in the marty vs AJ debate i would take aj any day of the week and twice on sunday.. the man is a master at finding talent and that cannot be ignored.. however i would much rather have marty as the head coach of our team, more than any other coach in the league right now..

i dont see it as AJs fault that marty was fired.. i think that if marty didnt let about 4 coaches go to other teams he wouldnt have been fired.. marty shot himself in the foot in my opinion.. i got no beef with AJ i think hes great..
__________________


sig by bosanac01
Average OT LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:56 PM    (permalink
zdh87
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 185
Reputation: 146
zdh87 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

I agree with Average OT LB. Good GMs are much more important that than good coaches, IMO, because a great coach with ****** players, can only make them okay. An okay coach with great players, can be great (ask Brian Billick). Look at the perenially terrible drafting teams: Redskins, Lions, Oakland (until recently). Bad draft, bad teams. You need to use the draft to fill your team, and get pieces from free agency, not the other way around
__________________
IN AJ WE TRUST.......
zdh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:28 PM    (permalink
joercky
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In a world where the Browns suck
Posts: 100
Reputation: -15
joercky needs more cowbell.
Default

His handpicked QB Rivers is really great not. I still think he should have resigned Brees.
__________________
Bluto- When the going gets tough the tough get going.

Bluto I'm a zit get it. http://youtube.com/watch?v=qft0bdhl17c

Cartman- Kyle get that sand out of your vagina.
joercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:27 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jersey
Posts: 2,417
Reputation: 1574
JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joercky View Post
His handpicked QB Rivers is really great not. I still think he should have resigned Brees.
That might be the dumbest comment I've ever heard. Rivers did great last year, and he's been on and off this year, as a still young QB. No, he's not lighting the world on fire this year. But he sure looked good today, against GB, etc.

And Brees isn't exactly a god this year is he....
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:26 PM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Philawarepragueacago
Posts: 865
Reputation: 647
Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joercky View Post
His handpicked QB Rivers is really great not. I still think he should have resigned Brees.
thats an explaination not an argument, so its hard to counter... but ill do my best..

Last year we were 14-2 without brees, and rivers made the pro bowl..
this year drew brees hasnt won a game, and has only 1 td to his like.. 10 int

The Fox commenters Sunday mentioned that Brees' arm strength appeared off, a growing belief around the league. That same arm, which lifted an entire region of fans and fantasy owners with such a magical ride last year, looks tired.

If that holds true, the saints are in trouble, and the chargers have a youthful energetic qb to call their own.
__________________


sig by bosanac01
Average OT LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:34 PM    (permalink
bergo23
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 372
Reputation: 2616
bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.
Default Chambers: another AJ coup

Getting Chambers for a late second rounder is a steal, especially with his 2 1/2 years on the deal.....so you get a Pro Bowl calibur WR, with speed that will make good teams pay, either because he burns them in single.......or they drop their safety and we kill 'em in the run game. Any way you slice it, a win-win.

I just hope a good RT tackle prospect falls to us in the first.....or even Okam (who Scott mocked for us). Oliver steps in for DFlo.......Cro begins ascent to Pro Bowl status. AJ has missed a few (Davis instead of Polamalu).....but his Home runs (Eli trade, 2004-7 drafts) and stand up doubles (Keenan, Chambers trades) more than make up for it.
bergo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:17 PM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Philawarepragueacago
Posts: 865
Reputation: 647
Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergo23 View Post
Getting Chambers for a late second rounder is a steal, especially with his 2 1/2 years on the deal.....so you get a Pro Bowl calibur WR, with speed that will make good teams pay, either because he burns them in single.......or they drop their safety and we kill 'em in the run game. Any way you slice it, a win-win.

I just hope a good RT tackle prospect falls to us in the first.....or even Okam (who Scott mocked for us). Oliver steps in for DFlo.......Cro begins ascent to Pro Bowl status. AJ has missed a few (Davis instead of Polamalu).....but his Home runs (Eli trade, 2004-7 drafts) and stand up doubles (Keenan, Chambers trades) more than make up for it.
good post, i agree with all of it..

but.. The odds are stacked highly against oliver stepping in for anybody anytime soon.. and at the moment its premature to call Cro a possible probowler, when hes IMO 2 successful weeks removed from bust status.
__________________


sig by bosanac01
Average OT LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.