Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 10-24-2007, 04:18 PM    (permalink
MaddHatter
Rookie

MaddHatter hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Prospective Trades / FA Discussion

Who do you think we could target, either via FA or Trade in the upcoming (though distant) offseason?

One I'd be interested in is the disgruntled Deangleo Hall - a shutdown CB and Top 5 in the NFC - as good and younger then Newman (imo) - I'd love to have him and it appears Petrino is forcing the Jim Mora-era guys out. What they'd take and what we'd give up for him may be two totally different things. I could see us sending CLE's first for their 2nd and Hall or perhaps our first for Hall. Not sure they'd take anything less then our first for Hall, but if push comes to shove and he wants out, I could see them letting him go.

Some guys I'd love to see us look at in FA would be Andre Davis of Houston (if Glenn doesn't come back) and Randy Starks of Tennessee.

Mad props to Houshyamomma on FF.com

Last edited by MaddHatter : 10-24-2007 at 04:29 PM.
MaddHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:37 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I believe Bernard Berrian and Bryant Johnson will be FA. Either one, I would really like to add some youth to the receiving core, but probably will be expensive. Though I will be more then content with Crayton and Hurd.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:40 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Trades

- Chad Jackson for Bobby Carpenter. I don't usually bother imagining trades, but if Jackson is healthy... I'd consider this one.

FA

- Alan Faneca - Probably cost too much, but I'll list him anyways.

- Tommy Kelly - I may be in the minority, but I respect him as a player and think he would fit in nicely at DE and provide a better push.

- Albert Haynesworth - Not sure if he fits in at NT or if we have the need, but I'd love a big body like him. Imagine practice with him going against Gurode daily. hahaha.

- Brandon Stokley - If he comes at a reasonable price. Could be next year's version of Wes Welker.

- Doug Gabriel - I've always admired him from afar. Another cheap eats situation.

- Chris Kemoeatu - Haven't watched him in the pros, but liked him coming out of college.

- Asante Samuel - Do we even bother to try?

- Randall *** - Definitely would love to land him here. Eliminate the need for a first round CB. Proven and you know what you're getting.

- Drayton Florence - I have a funny feeling WP may want to bring him here. I hope not.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:45 PM    (permalink
MaddHatter
Rookie

MaddHatter hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
- Albert Haynesworth - Not sure if he fits in at NT or if we have the need, but I'd love a big body like him. Imagine practice with him going against Gurode daily. hahaha.
I like his co-hort Starks much better and he has 1-gap 3-4 experience - not sure Haynesworth would make it to Valley Ranch alive if we signed him...

Quote:
- Asante Samuel - Do we even bother to try?
Nnamdi Asomuga is a FA and I like him 10x better then Asante

Quote:
- Drayton Florence - I have a funny feeling WP may want to bring him here. I hope not.
I also think this is a likely pick-up as he knows the defense but I think it'd be a huge mistake

Mad props to Houshyamomma on FF.com
MaddHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:22 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I had proposed Ocho Cinco.

DeAngelo not so bad. He and TO can spit on each other.

I also think Baltimore maybe ready to blow up -- some talent their. Ray Lewis just blew up BB on the radio last night.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:51 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I cant really see us bringing in a huge ego/contract this off season...how would it work??

Deangelo, Samuel, Haynesworth, Berrian, those guys will want top tier money...We would have to let alot of people go to make it happen, Berrian is probably the cheapest who makes the most sense, but he is still pricey...

and as far as DB's, were already old, id prefer to bring in a guy in the draft who is young and doesnt mind playing nickel, id much rather go after a 3-4 DE if we get anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:57 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
and as far as DB's, were already old, id prefer to bring in a guy in the draft who is young and doesnt mind playing nickel, id much rather go after a 3-4 DE if we get anything
I don't the see the problem with addressing the DB situation by FA and the draft. If we can add a veteran like a Tory James, Randall ***, or even Florence and add a young stud through the draft, I would be very happy with the depth we have.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:58 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddHatter View Post
I like that idea. Kid has great size and has been pretty consistent so far. But again pricey.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:24 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddHatter View Post
I like his co-hort Starks much better and he has 1-gap 3-4 experience - not sure Haynesworth would make it to Valley Ranch alive if we signed him...

I also think this is a likely pick-up as he knows the defense but I think it'd be a huge mistake
I don't like Starks at all. He's probably worse or the same as Spears.

I didn't know Asomuga was a FA, but do you really think the Raiders let him get out of their grasp? At least there was a rift between the Pats and Samuel. For my money, I'd rather have RandallGay, but unless we overpay, there's no way he comes here without a promised starting position in his hands.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:10 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Samuel and Asomuga are going to be so expensive if they leave its not even funny, both of those guys can be said to be better, or the same level as Clements, do we have room for that type of contract on our team anywhere? If so a big price player that we have right now would have to go, more then a few actually to spend around 80 million on a player, I mean it sounds good I just dont see the need...

Id rather we spent those bucks on a weakness right now, D line or Safety, id even welcome it along the offensive line because Im all for making sure thats a strength not a weakness on the team, but other then that, seems like too much money to spend somewhere...

Quote:
Old 10-24-2007, 09:18 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I believe Bernard Berrian and Bryant Johnson will be FA. Either one, I would really like to add some youth to the receiving core, but probably will be expensive. Though I will be more then content with Crayton and Hurd.
I like the idea of Bryant Johnson. He's sort of flying under the radar, so he might be relatively affordable.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:04 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would like to sign Bernard Berrian. With the emergence of Devin hester as a WR, I don't know if the Bears are gonna resign him. Berrian would be a perfect fit for our team, because of his ability to go deep. I don't think he's a complete receiver, but you don't need one when you have Witten and TO on your team. Plus, he's 27.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:10 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Samuel and Asomuga are going to be so expensive if they leave its not even funny, both of those guys can be said to be better, or the same level as Clements, do we have room for that type of contract on our team anywhere? If so a big price player that we have right now would have to go, more then a few actually to spend around 80 million on a player, I mean it sounds good I just dont see the need...

Id rather we spent those bucks on a weakness right now, D line or Safety, id even welcome it along the offensive line because Im all for making sure thats a strength not a weakness on the team, but other then that, seems like too much money to spend somewhere...
That's why I favor RandallGay most.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:21 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano View Post
I would like to sign Bernard Berrian. With the emergence of Devin hester as a WR, I don't know if the Bears are gonna resign him. Berrian would be a perfect fit for our team, because of his ability to go deep. I don't think he's a complete receiver, but you don't need one when you have Witten and TO on your team. Plus, he's 27.
Berrian is the perfect Alvin Harper in JG's offense. Crayton hasn't displayed the type of breakaway threat that he showed early last year. Since his injury, we've never seen that since. He has turned into a more complete receiver, but the speed is lacking... at least on the outside looking in. It's really become evident with Terry Glenn sitting out all these games.

Not saying we need Berrian, but with him, we could probably cut 2 of our WRs.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:38 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Berrian is the perfect Alvin Harper in JG's offense. Crayton hasn't displayed the type of breakaway threat that he showed early last year. Since his injury, we've never seen that since. He has turned into a more complete receiver, but the speed is lacking... at least on the outside looking in. It's really become evident with Terry Glenn sitting out all these games.

Not saying we need Berrian, but with him, we could probably cut 2 of our WRs.
With a speed WR in our offense and the lack of progression that Austin is showing(don't have facts...but he is in his second year and still isn't better than the 4th WR...and isn't a huge special teams contributer) I think it is safe 2 say two guys could go. Yes Austin has #1 potential in his physical attributes...but he doesn't show it in the preseason...and he doesn't see the field in the regular season...you don't hear things about him in practices. I mean atleast we get the occasional tidbit of Stanback being hard to cover in practice...or that Stanback can return punts and be a contributer on special teams. You don't hear any of this about Austin. Crayton is a JAG imo...he has good hands...but so does Hurd...I can't think of one thing Crayton has that Hurd doesn't have. So I agree...if a Berrian type guy came in we could lose 2 WR's and be just fine.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:38 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
...but he doesn't show it in the preseason...and he doesn't see the field in the regular season...you don't hear things about him in practices.....
I don't hear anything about WR in practice either. But he does look good WHEN he was thrown the ball. He does look good when running back kicks.

I do vividly remember the Vikings Pre-Season game he ran some excllent routes got the ball and did some RAC. Two got called back on penalities but not his penalties.

Come on Thule and everyone. The seniority thing does exist in the NFL --- regardless of what folks say. Coaches love the vets -- some more than others. GMs love to see the highest paid guys on the field -- regardless of results.

It is only once a guy is "SO MUCH BETTER" than the other and the "TEAM SUFFERS" that change is made.

One piece of evidence -- Chester Taylor and Adrian Peterson. So damn obvious but the coach won't let goa nd the GM sure as hell wants Chester to play b/c of the contract.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:46 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

I hate these threads, now im quandering how explosive we could be with Berrian on our team :) I agree with the Alvin Harper assessment, he would be awesome with TO, and if Crayton was back at the 3 spot, we would be very hard to stop on offense...Its a perfect fit, and he could very well leave with the Bears having Bradley, Davis and Hester

Quote:
Old 10-25-2007, 02:06 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
With a speed WR in our offense and the lack of progression that Austin is showing(don't have facts...but he is in his second year and still isn't better than the 4th WR...and isn't a huge special teams contributer) I think it is safe 2 say two guys could go. Yes Austin has #1 potential in his physical attributes...but he doesn't show it in the preseason...and he doesn't see the field in the regular season...you don't hear things about him in practices. I mean atleast we get the occasional tidbit of Stanback being hard to cover in practice...or that Stanback can return punts and be a contributer on special teams. You don't hear any of this about Austin. Crayton is a JAG imo...he has good hands...but so does Hurd...I can't think of one thing Crayton has that Hurd doesn't have. So I agree...if a Berrian type guy came in we could lose 2 WR's and be just fine.
First of all Austin has been an excellent contributer on special teams this year. He is on all the coverage teams and is usually around the play.

The thing that Crayton has that Hurd doesn't is real production in the NFL.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:44 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

I do (have repeatedly) agree Hurd and Crayton are identical.

4.6 Speed. Great Hands. Good Routes. + Six Feet. Seems tough physically.

We need speed WR. Berrian is not a bad choice but Chicago won't let him go IMHO. They have no one behind him.

In this sense, a DeSean Jackson, Douglas from Lousiville, Manningham from Mich are not crazy players to pick. Maybe even DeSean's running mate at Cal.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:06 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallas View Post
First of all Austin has been an excellent contributer on special teams this year. He is on all the coverage teams and is usually around the play.

The thing that Crayton has that Hurd doesn't is real production in the NFL.
Would Austins special teams presence really be missed? I mean sure he may be around the action...but does he really excel...I don't think you have to be special to be a ok special teamer. I don't see why you can replace him with essentially the same attributes in Stanback and get similar results.

Crayton doesn't do anything on special teams ever. Now while he has real NFL production...wouldn't you say it is easier to put up numbers the higher you are on the depth chart. Hurd no only is a great special teamer...but he is a guy who makes plays when he is on the field. He is always blocking down field...which is really my favorite part of his game...the block to spring TO was great against the bears.

So while we would have to play the whatif game with Hurd and offensive production...I don't think the drop off of Crayton on offense is as big as it seems to be. Even if it is...all this talk has to do with brining in another body anyways...it's not like you lose special teams performance when crayton is gone...you could argue a punt returner...but I would consider than an issue to be addressed this offseason anyways..

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:25 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Crayton doesn't do anything on special teams ever. Now while he has real NFL production...wouldn't you say it is easier to put up numbers the higher you are on the depth chart. Hurd no only is a great special teamer...but he is a guy who makes plays when he is on the field. He is always blocking down field...which is really my favorite part of his game...the block to spring TO was great against the bears.

So while we would have to play the whatif game with Hurd and offensive production...I don't think the drop off of Crayton on offense is as big as it seems to be. Even if it is...all this talk has to do with brining in another body anyways...it's not like you lose special teams performance when crayton is gone...you could argue a punt returner...but I would consider than an issue to be addressed this offseason anyways..
I dont know, I think you guys underrate what Crayton does for us...Yes speed kills and its nice, but id rather have Crayton then a guy like Devery Henderson or Williamson...He runs good routes, catches almost everything, and comes through in the clutch...Id rather go after a speed guy to play the slot, id be very upset if Crayton left, he brings alot to this team, and I think if he leaves everyone will notice how much his loss hurts the team...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever View Post
We need speed WR. Berrian is not a bad choice but Chicago won't let him go IMHO. They have no one behind him.
Mark Bradley?
Devin Hester?
Rashied Davis?

how is that no one behind him? All those guys are more then capable of doing exactly what Berrian does, all are speed guys, Bradley is probably more talented, and Hester is faster and will be better then Berrian if he progress at the position..I dont think Chicago looks at Berrian as they MUST have him back...I think he walks due to the talent they want to develop behind him

Quote:
Old 10-25-2007, 06:34 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
I dont know, I think you guys underrate what Crayton does for us...Yes speed kills and its nice, but id rather have Crayton then a guy like Devery Henderson or Williamson...He runs good routes, catches almost everything, and comes through in the clutch...Id rather go after a speed guy to play the slot, id be very upset if Crayton left, he brings alot to this team, and I think if he leaves everyone will notice how much his loss hurts the team...

Mark Bradley?
Devin Hester?
Rashied Davis?

how is that no one behind him? All those guys are more then capable of doing exactly what Berrian does, all are speed guys, Bradley is probably more talented, and Hester is faster and will be better then Berrian if he progress at the position..I dont think Chicago looks at Berrian as they MUST have him back...I think he walks due to the talent they want to develop behind him
OK, I don't see it that way but. ....
Old 10-25-2007, 09:09 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Bobby Carpenter to New England for Chad Jackson and Patriots 4th Rounder.