Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 11-25-2006, 05:07 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejruiz777
Yes, the Chargers and the Colts lit our defense up. Quick question: does anyone deny that those are the two best offenses in the entire league, headed by the best players at QB, RB, TE and maybe even WR? Yes, the Chiefs ran all over us. By the way, I've heard that Larry Johnson is a pretty good RB and that they've been running the ball quite well in KC for a couple of years now. Yes, we went 0-3 in our last three games against those teams mentioned above, but they're all playoff caliber teams and we lost by an average of just 7 points.

My point is, why is it that every time the Broncos lose a game, all of their fans lose their heads?! Our team is still pretty good. They've had a chance to win against the best teams in the league and I see no reason for that to change.

Do you realize that our "pathetic" running game averages 4.5 ypc (6th best), 132.8 yards per game (7th best) and has scored 9 TDs (7th best)? Oh, and the o-line that gets so much grief has also only allowed 17 sacks (9th least). We run the ball well, we protect the QB (even if it is with our play calling) and we still play good D. I mean, there are only four teams that give up less points per game than the Broncos. Are we flawed? Yes, but who isn't. Can we still compete? Absolutely. Get a grip guys, that's all I'm saying.
all valid points if you hadn't actually watched the last three games. for instance, against KC, we couldn't tackle LJ. it wasn't even that he was just playing well, there were at least two plays when 4+ guys missed tackles. that's not LJ's talent so much as it was our complete inability to execute.

on special teams, we are absolutely awful. i don't think there's any way that you can convince me it's not as bad as it looks. it's usually much worse. we can't cover a kick off, we can't return a kick off, our players make bonehead plays (witness cecil sapp fielding the ball at the 1). again, this is not an indicator of a team that will even compete in the playoffs.

our offense has gotten worse and worse over the season. how are you possibly going to excuse our worst rushing output in years last week? or the way the running game has simply failed to help denver hold onto the ball in critical situations? i give jake a lot of grief for not ever converting 3rd downs, but on the flip side, the running game should NOT be putting him into so many third and long situations. playoffs teams simply don't have as many third and longs as we've had lately.

and again, great, they're amazing offenses. what do you think we'd face if we made the playoffs? the cleveland browns again?

i don't recall us doing much of anything for jake last week. keep in mind that, as many dumb plays as he may make after the fact, he avoids a LOT of sacks simply by being mobile. matt lepsis erik pears is not. our right tackle situation has just been weak this year.

denver has all the talent to turn it around, but most of thing i see are lack of execution and poor coaching (pointing specifically to the defense). if those get turned on again, anything's possible, but from the last three weeks, broncos fans have a good reason to be a bit pessimistic.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:54 PM    (permalink
ejruiz777

So far we're 3-3 against likely AFC playoffs teams. Our three losses have come to SD, KC and Indy by an average of just under 7 points. Our three wins have come over NE, KC and Baltimore by an average of just over 7 points. Sure, it's looked worse than that, but the only stats that truly matter are wins, loses and the score. If the season ended today we'd be in the playoffs with those same teams listed above and we'd still have a shot at beating every single one of them, just as we did the first time around. The only teams that could change that are Jacksonville and Cincinnati, two teams that are just as flawed as we are. We're making the playoffs and, when we do, we'll make some noise. All of this doomsday talk is just a bit annoying. The only change that I think we can make at this point would be to bench Plummer in favor of Cutler in the hopes of creating the same sort of spark that Dallas got from their new QB.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:51 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

i don't think anyone believes this team doesn't have a chance. in fact, i even JUST said they have the talent. but you're absolutely insane if you think we can play as poorly as we have recently the rest of the season and still beat anyone in the playoffs, let alone even make it that far.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:57 AM    (permalink
ejruiz777

Now that Cutler is apparently our starting QB, I'd like to take this oportunity to turn the corner, change the topic and hopefully the tone of this thread. It's time to let og of the past and embrace the future. With that in mind, this sort of QB change has resulted in a positive bump for pretty much every team that's tried it this season. All the players seem to step it up when they see their coach is doing it in time to salvage the season instead of simply tanking it. This is what I'm looking for from the Broncos at this point.

Our remaining schedule is pretty brutal, with the Arizona game being the only thing close to a guaranteed win. If we're still in the playoff hunt and the 49ers are not by the time that last week of the regular season comes around (both of which I think will be true) I think that one is in the bag as well. Beating Cincy would be a huge win as far as a potential wildcard is concerned and winning in San Diego, while improbable, could vault us back into contention in the division. The Seattle game is looking tougher and tougher as they get healthy and we break in a new QB, but it's at home and both Hasselbeck and Alaexander should be rusty.

If you're a pessimist, it's easy to think we'll go 1-4 in those last five and finish up at .500. If you're an optimist like me, you see us going 3-2 and sneaking into the playoffs with some momentum. Maybe it will take a solid performance against the Seahawks (or even a win) to make believers out of the rest of you, but I'm hopeful. I mean, what's the point of being a fan if you're not hopeful?
Old 11-27-2006, 06:44 PM    (permalink
Namy
Veteran

Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the Broncos get back into the shape they were before they lost to the Chargers, we can easily go 4-1. In fact, I do not underestimate us. We have the TALENT to go 5-0. In my opnion, we are more talented than the Chargers, Bengals, Seahawks, 49ers, and Cardinals.

However, aside from that talent, in the pass week, after assessment, it's clear that penalties, mental lapses in special teams coverage, poor tackling, struggling running game, and boneheaded QB play brought us down against SD and KC (and those losses were still an avg of a little over one TD). These are all problems that we are now facing but werre not problems before we lost to SD.. which basically means all of these problems are fixable. Sorry if I sounded "pessimistic" earlier, it's just my usual reaction right after a loss...

I really hope Cutler brings in the spark. THere is no question he has the talent. In the preseason, we also saw that he had the poise. If he can come in with confidence and efficiency (which is all that is really asked for), with the talent we have on both sides of the ball, we can win out our schedule. Chargers are good, but we can beat them... if our offense was able to just move the chains score a few FGs at least and run out more clock, it would've rested our defense more too and we would've easily won. The Cowboys responded well to a QB change, and hopefully so will this Broncos team.

I look forward to playing against the Seahawks. But trust me, with 10 days to practice for the Seahawks, I assure you that the Broncos will not let anyone rush on them like KC and SD did again.

Projected win total: 55+
Namy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:01 AM    (permalink
ejruiz777

Alexander was UNGODLY tonight on MNF. I really hope this long week of practice and preparation, along with a team-wide spark due to the QB change, will correct the problems that let KC and, to a lesser and more forgivable extent, SD run all over us. Hasselback looked terrible, but those spread sets are going to put a lot of stress on our DBs in pass coverage and on the front seven as they try to slow Alexander down. The Pack scored plenty and they left even more points on the field, so an efficient performance by our offense should yield a solid output. I see this one being another shootout, which concerns me because we haven't won one of those all year. That said, I still have faith. So long as we play well, I think we can pull a playoff spot out of a hat with enough momentum to be able to surprise some people then. Let's Go Broncos!
Old 11-28-2006, 10:20 PM    (permalink
The Fat Kid
Pro Bowler

The Fat Kid The Fat Kid The Fat Kid The Fat Kid The Fat Kid The Fat Kid

let the trash talking begin. is tatum set to come back yet?

sig by CalBears99
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodachu
I HAVE ISSUES!
The Fat Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:25 PM    (permalink
smittyjs
All-Pro

smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cutler..................... 8) :D

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm
smittyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:18 PM    (permalink
M
Rookie

M hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Redskins Trade

Does anyone remember what exactly the trade with Washington was for this years draft picks. I believe it was part of the Lelie to Atlanta, Duckett to Washington and Washington to Denver was . . . Thanks I am curious to look ahead.
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:27 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Default Re: Redskins Trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by M
Does anyone remember what exactly the trade with Washington was for this years draft picks. I believe it was part of the Lelie to Atlanta, Duckett to Washington and Washington to Denver was . . . Thanks I am curious to look ahead.
i believe chris has quoted it to denver and washington swap 1sts if both make the playoffs, if washington doesn't (or i believe if we don't) we get their third this year. i believe either way we get their 4th next year. and chris alluded to some situations where we wouldn't get their third this year, but i can't imagine what those would be.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:28 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
let the trash talking begin. is tatum set to come back yet?
doubtful, he'll probably step outside and get cold and then be inactivated.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:00 PM    (permalink
Chris
Pro Bowler

Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Broncos no matter WHAT NOW, are getting the Redskins 3rd rounder. And it's likely they'll get the 2008 Fourth-Rounder as well.

Either a third and a fourth; or just a third.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:02 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
The Broncos no matter WHAT NOW, are getting the Redskins 3rd rounder. And it's likely they'll get the 2008 Fourth-Rounder as well.

Either a third and a fourth; or just a third.
how do we miss the 4th?
Old 11-29-2006, 02:03 PM    (permalink
Chris
Pro Bowler

Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Probably if the Redskins finish in the bottom 3 teams in the league where the value is so high we don't need the extra pick to compensate for the "250" value points we'll be getting.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:09 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

gotcha.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:11 PM    (permalink
Chris
Pro Bowler

All I have to say is Yay for Cutlah.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:32 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'm excited to have Cutler playing. i still think he will be better than Young and Leinart. i might eat my words, but i stick with what i've thought from the start, regardless of how those 2 are playing

best of luck

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:35 PM    (permalink
ejruiz777

I'm trying not to get too excited about Cutler's first start, but I'm just so happy that he's starting in place of Jake that it's getting harder as game time inches closer.

Honestly, I'm not expecting a win against the Seahawks, but I am expecting a better performance from the team than what we've all seen these past few weeks. If everyone plays better, then I'll hold out hope for the rest of the season. If the team looks as flat as it has been recently, then (no matter how well Cutler plays) I don't like our playoff chances.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:57 PM    (permalink
Namy
Veteran

Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think our team will respond well to Cutler.

Also, do u think Plummer will stay as a backup to continue to help Cutler out? Or if he does leave (which is more prpobable), where will he go do u thinK?

Projected win total: 55+
Namy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:42 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

i hope, for his sake, that he's gone after this season. he deserves a chance to start someplace else.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:08 AM    (permalink
Chris
Pro Bowler

Trading him would count for about 6-7 million against our cap; his value wouldn't even be high, and a fourth or fifth-rounder *which at best is what we'd get* isn't worth that hit.

Release him, take the 2 million dollar hit.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:42 AM    (permalink
M
Rookie

M hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Plummer

Trade Plummer to Washington - Snyder makes terrible deals that just gives away draft picks for the last three years to the Broncos - make it four for four!

Hope springs eternal.
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:26 AM    (permalink
ejruiz777

Plummer will be either the Broncos back-up or a place holder for another team that's not quite ready to compete yet next year. I honestly don't see any teams that would start him, so my money's on his being in a Broncos uniform next season. He'd be a nice back-up for another year and then he walks as a free agent, right?
Old 12-01-2006, 03:11 AM    (permalink
A-Dub4President
Rookie

A-Dub4President hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

One of the Arizona papers has reported that Jake would like to end his career back in the valley backing up Leinart.
A-Dub4President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:09 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

i have a tough time believing jake wants to back anyone up right now.

additionally, i'd just as soon he gets that chance, rather than having to ride the bench here for a year. the dude, whatever i've thought of his actual play (and chris and namy have probably heard it from me enough), played at 100% every single play. if it costs $2 million, i'd just as soon see him get a chance someplace else.