Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 11-21-2006, 08:40 AM    (permalink
Handel
Veteran

Handel is a cocksman.Handel is a cocksman.Handel is a cocksman.
Default New England Patriots Discussion

What happened to the other thread? Automatically deleted because of lack of activity?

Anyway, concerning the next year draft, I wonder if our ILB need (which is the most important imho) will be filled through FA rather than in the first round of the draft. It seems, as for now, that there is no 3-4 ILB who have enough value to be draft in the 20's. At the opposite, there are many DBs who could be interesting : Darrelle Revis, Michael Griffin, Aaron Rouse. I would not be suprised if one or even 2 DBs would be selected in first round by the Pats and no ILB.
Handel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:27 PM    (permalink
EHobbs27
Veteran

EHobbs27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would certainly think that ILB is a huge need, but we probably will take the best LB available at the time whether it be a tweener or an inside LB. If Woodley is there then we will take him and move Vrabel inside, but if he is gone and a guy like Willis is there then I am certain we will take him.

I really want Michael Griffin, but if he isn't available then I want a true shutdown CB like a Leon Hall or a Darelle Revis.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:02 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i want

Patrick Willis
Reggie Nelson
Michael Griffin

^should be avaible .. at least 1

others i want out of reach
LaRon Landry
Leon Hall
Gaines Adams
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:58 AM    (permalink
UK Patriot
Rookie

UK Patriot hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

A lot of the mocks have us taking a WR quite high in the drafts, but I'm a firm believer that its our D which needs adressing this draft. But I am interested in if you think Jeff Samardzija would be a good fit in New England, and if you'd be happy to see him in the Patriots Uniform?

Obviously he's had 2+ years working with Weis at ND, and is a proven top drawer WR, so i for one would be happy if the Pats selected him, but only if he calls time on playing Baseball.
UK Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:38 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHobbs27
I would certainly think that ILB is a huge need, but we probably will take the best LB available at the time whether it be a tweener or an inside LB. If Woodley is there then we will take him and move Vrabel inside, but if he is gone and a guy like Willis is there then I am certain we will take him.

I really want Michael Griffin, but if he isn't available then I want a true shutdown CB like a Leon Hall or a Darelle Revis.
Bill Belichick has pretty much showed that he doesn't trust rookie linebackers. The linebacker spot is pretty much exclusively addressed through free agency around here, and Mike Vrabel's move inside was temporary, as his skillset is much better suited to play on the outside. I would say cornerback is the most likely position to draft in the first round, because Asante Samuel still hasn't worked out a deal and it looks like he's leaving.

Since Samuel wasn't regarded as a very smart defensive back, I don't think the intelligence (or lack thereof) of Reggie Nelson would turn Belichick away, and he would replace Samuel, a hard-hitting, Floridian corner, with another hard-hitting, Floridian corner. I also heard rumors last year that the Patriots really liked Haloti Ngata and would have drafted him at #21 in the unlikely case that he was available.

With that said, there are not really any defensive tackles other than Alan Branch worth drafting in the first, so I don't think that will be addressed. Perhaps someone like Adam Carriker. He's a rare 3-4 end, and with the lack of success that Jon Sullivan and Marquise Hill had, it's clear that Belichick wants a very deep defensive line but hasn't been able to find a great fit. Granted, Carriker may not be considered a first round talent at this point, but Logan Mankins was projected in the late second, early third range (I had actually projected him to go to New England at the end of round two in my seven-round mock) and so projected draft position might not matter much, either.
Matthew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 05:16 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

Nelson is a CB/Safety so the versatility will get BB's attention..him being kinda close with Meyer now..maybe helps BB make the decision beter.

a hard hitter..playmaker is what u get in Nelson and i want it!
Old 11-23-2006, 07:07 PM    (permalink
EHobbs27
Veteran

I highly doubt we go Defensive Line. It is by far our strongest position and Alan Branch will be a top 10 pick.

Everyone says we don't pick LB's early, but the same was said last year about RB's. It gets to a point when you need youth at LB, you can't keep adding 30+ year old guys to your LB's core. The Pats need speed and this is a great draft to get a LB. I'm pretty sure we will take one in round 1 this year.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:20 PM    (permalink
RollingThunder

Does anybody else think that we may trade both of our first round picks to move up if a player we like falls just enough?
Old 11-24-2006, 04:31 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

capitalize Discussion, ya bunch of slackers
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 03:46 PM    (permalink
Handel
Veteran

Handel is a cocksman.Handel is a cocksman.Handel is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee
capitalize Discussion, ya bunch of slackers
And why we must do that? :?:
Handel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:35 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

congrats.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:15 PM    (permalink
alca1992
Veteran

alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.

well if smazada (spelling???) falls to us in the late 20s ( where i project us) most likely 28 or 29 then we should definatley take him but the seahawks will probaly finish around 18 and i just dont see a playmaking saftey there. so i say we trade up to get micheal griffin
Old 11-27-2006, 08:18 AM    (permalink
EHobbs27
Veteran

I would love a guy like Reggie Nelson, but if James Sanders continues to play well, then maybe we don't need a safety. I hope Sanders continues to play well so we can get a LB and a WR in round one or a LB and a CB.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:20 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHobbs27
I would love a guy like Reggie Nelson, but if James Sanders continues to play well, then maybe we don't need a safety. I hope Sanders continues to play well so we can get a LB and a WR in round one or a LB and a CB.
how well has Sanders played? didnt do anything too bad that got noticed so thats a good sign

but Nelson..give us a CB/S whos a ballhawk and playmaker..

Rodney is done in a year or 2..Wilson is an FA in 08

Nelson for PATS!
Old 11-28-2006, 06:21 PM    (permalink
MikeD

pretty impresive, the pats look ready,but watch out for the ravens 8)
Old 12-01-2006, 09:50 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Analysis of the New England Patriots Draft Needs:

Quarterback – Not a need until at the very latest the sixth or seventh round, but will most likely address need for a #3 quarterback (if Testaverde retires) with a veteran free agent or an undrafted guy, like we tried with J.T. O’Sullivan earlier.

Running Back – Corey Dillon and Laurence Maroney splitting time with Kevin Faulk as our third down guy has this position basically set. Maybe just a late-round power back such as DeShawn Wynn to groom.

Wide Receiver – A need that will most likely be addressed in the second or third round. I think Samardzija could slip to the second, and Jason Hill sounds like a great player as well – trading down with one of our firsts could work here.

Tight End – Ben Watson is locked in as the starter, and even if Daniel Graham leaves, we have David Thomas and Garrett Mills from last year’s draft. We might pick up a strong blocker as a free agent.

Offensive Tackle – Not a need – Matt Light always plays well on the left, and our other three tackles – Wesley Britt, Nick Kaczur, and Ryan O’Callaghan – have played well and provide us with adequate depth.

Offensive Guard – Logan Mankins and Stephen Neal are set at the starting spots – Russ Hochstein is decent depth, but we cold use a late-round player here with good technique and footwork.

Center – Dan Koppen is among the best centers in the league, and just received a contract extension. Hochstein doubles as the backup here, and if we don’t draft a backup guard late, we might take a center.

Defensive End – Richard Seymour and Ty Warren are the perfect ends for our 3-4 front. Marquise Hill has been a disappointment and Jarvis Green is more of a situational pass rusher, so maybe a late-round DT convert would work here.

Defensive Tackle – Vince Wilfork is another great fit in our defense as someone who can take up a ton of space. Jon Sullivan didn’t work out, and Mike Wright is a fringe player at best, so a late-round pick here would be nice.

Outside Linebacker – If Mike Vrabel moves inside and Tully Banta-Cain is a disappointment starting on the outside, then we might have use for a DE/OLB tweener such as LaMarr Woodley, but this is more of a free agent position.

Inside Linebacker – With Junior Seau looking like he’s done, Tedy Bruschi is our only real talent inside. I don’t think moving Vrabel in is the right thing to do, so signing a free agent such as Jamie Sharper would be very helpful to our team.

Cornerback – Asante Samuel might be leaving as a free agent, and Chad Scott and Randall Gay are injury prone, so cornerback is a need, but we have the money to bring back Samuel. First round need if we don’t re-sign him.

Safety – The strong safety position may be a need, because Rodney Harrison keeps getting hurt. James Sanders and Artrell Hawkins have been good, but someone like Reggie Nelson who plays both CB and S would be a valuable guy.

Kicker/Punter – Stephen Gostkowski is doing well as a rookie – he has a higher field goal percentage than Mike Vanderjagt this year – but Josh Miller is out for the year and a late-round punter is something to look out for.

Kick/Punt Returners – Kevin Faulk is doing a pretty good job shagging punts, and Laurence Maroney is one of the best kick returners in the league, so we don’t really need to address this. Willie Andrews could always contribute here.
Matthew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 05:33 AM    (permalink
UK Patriot
Rookie

Default Great analysis

A good read. I agree that the decision on re-signing Samuel is massive for the Pats. If he wants mor $$$ then we're prepared to stump up, we'll definitly be using a 1st round pick on a CB. If he sees sense and re-signs then the Pats have so much more flexibility with their picks.

(a) The two first round picks could really beef up our Linebackers corps and safety concerns

(b) They could be combined to trade for a more elite prospect then we may get for our picks, Griffin or Landry perhaps?

(c) Used in a trade in the off-season, Randy Moss has been mentioned quite a lot by NFL fans on this site, and would give Brady a true No1 receiver. Bringing Moss in would, IMO, improve the offense SO much, as he would most likely be double teamed leaving gaps for Reche, CJ and Big Ben

The one bit of business which has put us in such a great position for next years draft is managing to get a 1st round pick from the Seahawks for Deion, which, IMO, was a fantastic piece of business by Pioli and Belichick.

Of the three option above, i would love (c) to happen. If Moss came to Foxborough i thibk he would take our Offense to the next level, but whether or not BB would take that gamble is another thing. Stranger things have happened, Dillon coming from the Bengals springs to mind.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:49 AM    (permalink
EHobbs27
Veteran

Here is my latest Pats mock:

Pats trade their 1st round pick to Oakland for Randy Moss

1st round: HB Blades-ILB-Pittsburgh

2nd round: David Irons-CB-Auburn

Here is my reasoning:

Moss will be traded this offseason. I just know it. Belichick has stated in the past that he is a fan of Moss and the thought of adding a Moss to our offense is a dream. I think Moss would be fine in New England because we have the best QB in the game and we have a winning program. As long as Moss is happy, he is a dominant WR who really could get us to the next step offensively.

HB Blades is a football player. Everyone will say he isn't tall enough or he isn't fast enough or he isn't big enough, but the fact is he is a football player. He comes from a great background and is is a tough and physical LB. He can shed blocks which makes him a great 3-4 LB and he will be a very solid LB.

David Irons is a very underrated CB. At 5'11, 188 he isn't a huge CB, but he definately has GREAT cover skills and is actually pretty physical for his size. The one game I saw this year for Auburn and actually payed attention to Irons was against South Carolina where he shut down Sidney Rice.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:00 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I could live with trading for Moss.

Also, looks like Brady lost a bet:

Old 12-04-2006, 01:43 PM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.
Default yah

Watching the Pats - Lions game yesterday I thought that NE looked a little soft at the LB position. What do you guys think about Earl Everett? You could probably get him in the 2nd/3rd rd and he is athletic as any LB in the draft this year. I agree with the idea of Willis for you guys, I think he'd play extremely well in NE.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.
Komp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:49 PM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think Moss will stay in Oakland, theres a better chance of getting Porter than him.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 02:20 PM    (permalink
EHobbs27
Veteran

Quote:
Watching the Pats - Lions game yesterday I thought that NE looked a little soft at the LB position. What do you guys think about Earl Everett? You could probably get him in the 2nd/3rd rd and he is athletic as any LB in the draft this year. I agree with the idea of Willis for you guys, I think he'd play extremely well in NE.
Not a big fan. He is barely over 230 pounds which we saw with Monty Beisel is too small. I am starting to see a trend with the LB's this year. They all are pretty small for a 3-4 defense. Outside of David Harris and maybe Willis, Blades, and Siler all the LB's are small. I would love to add a tweener though this year and move Vrabel inside. There are a lot of tweeners this year. Quentin Moses, Lamar Woodley, Victor Abiamiri, and Anthony Spencer who I really like.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:39 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well being a semi-closet Patriots fan, thanks alot Theresa, they are an enigma to me as an organization. Don't get me wrong, there recent success has been simply amazing in an era where this was thought to be unheard of, but what troubles me is there refusal to pay players. I know they signed Brady, Seymour, and the center who's name eludes me, but the Branch situation and possible situation with Asante Samuel are the reasons. I feel Brady was worth much more then he signed for on the open market and was justified to bring to light his displeasure with not resigning Branch. With the year Samuel is putting together he's bound to get some teams to throw money at him and I don't see the Pats matching any extreme offers for him. Their success with the free agent market is admirable and they do draft well, but sooner or later you have to throw money at your players and bite the bullet. The Ravens had to do this with McAllister and I thank them for it. But year in and year out you can't expect to your players to take pay cuts to stay or find a free agent left over at training camp.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:39 PM    (permalink
alca1992
Veteran

alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.

your right we refuse to pay players
Old 12-09-2006, 03:46 AM    (permalink
UK Patriot
Rookie

I think the sucess we have'd is largely down to our policy of setting a value on a player and sticking to it. By not overspending we have plenty of cap space available to maintain a strong overall roster, and pose a consistant thread in the AFC East and playoffs.

As far as re-signing players is concerned, i think BB and SP have the right idea. They have proven their commitment to re-signing our true elite players (Brady, Seymour, Koppen, soon to add Ty Warren) as there is almost no chance of finding equal ability replacements with the same attitudes. As far the players we have let go, none have had the sucess their respective employers would have wanted for the value of their contracts, Vinatieri aside. Givens, Branch, McGinest have all underperformed so far.

I think Belichick makes a decision on a players attitude 'When ???? signs this lucrative contract, will he continue to perform at the highest level?' If he has any doubt over the answer, then i suspect that is the point he allows that player to enter free agency.

The other reason that the Patriots continue to perform well after letting talent leave yeaar after year is their ability to sign relative unknowns and get the best out of them ie Vrabel, Caldwell, Colvin etc.