Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 12-04-2007, 08:31 PM    (permalink
CalBears99
Pro Bowler

CalBears99 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Any Football/Rugby players out there?

Any of you guys play or played Football or Rugby? I play rugby and I really want to improve my tackling. I always get owned when other guys use their juke moves on me. I can only tackle them if I square up on them. What do you guys do when people try to juke on you?

sig by Nyi28nhl from Islander Mania
CalBears99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:32 PM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBears99 View Post
Any of you guys play or played Football or Rugby? I play rugby and I really want to improve my tackling. I always get owned when other guys use their juke moves on me. I can only tackle them if I square up on them. What do you guys do when people try to juke on you?
do you play for a college team or a high school team, or adult league

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:34 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I played football when I was younger but now I play just hockey and im starting to play rugby. My entire family played rugby so i remember being there at the fields watching my dad every weekend.

Since i usually play wing cause im small and quick im what you call an "ankle-biter". I just focus on keeping my hips square and wrapping up their knees...
Old 12-04-2007, 08:34 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I personally play rugby, and pretty much the most important thing for me when I am hitting, is to make sure I use my body and not just arm tackle him, as well as wrapping my arms tight.
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:47 PM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I play rugby and as a loose forward my primary job is to be tackling the entire game (not much of a ball runner these days). Anyway tackling technique all comes down to conditions and context - i used to play fullback so i'd be making alot of one on one, open field tackles. For these my thinking was to always cut down the thinking time of the guy with the ball, if you rush their thinking most guys just aren't going to be good enough ball runners to step (or duke or whatever) you. Then it comes down to size and your natural ability to stick tackles. I'm guessing you're not a natural tackler (not a concern, most guys i've played with my whole life are completely useless with their natural form in making a tackle) so what i'd recommend is to concentrate on their hips (alot of people get carried away with what they're doing with their feet, hands, head etc.), drive in with the shoulder (try to get your head to the side, i've been knocked out multiple times from being tired and misjudging a tackle), and wrap your arms around him. Arm tackles are the most frustrating thing to see as a team mate so try to avoid it.

Don't think any of that made sense but anyway. tackling has always come pretty naturally so it's hard for me to explain technique.
7-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:50 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When you are head up, watch their hips. When they plant on their foot (let's say they plant it to the right of you) move a little to your left. More than likely they are bringing it back the way. Since they have most of their weight on the planted foot, it will take them time to get restarted and you can get them.

Hips don't lie though. And if they are moving their hips and feet an insane amount, just fire right at them.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:56 PM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Hips don't lie
That's prety much the perfect piece of tackling advice, who would've thought Shakira was into that kinda thing
Old 12-04-2007, 09:05 PM    (permalink
JagHombre22
Pro Bowler

JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.

I played high school football a couple of years ago...I was a WR...but when I went to the police academy and even the police department I work for...they taught us how to tackle....

you have to go low...to tackle people straight up you must have either good leverage or even better upper body strength...or both...

the other day, another officer was chasing a crack head and requested back up...I joined the chase but I cut the guy off ahead of him...long story short...I tackled the guy low, around the legs (upper thighs)...had I tried to go head up with him he would've probably run me over...
JagHombre22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:11 PM    (permalink
CalBears99
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
Since i usually play wing cause im small and quick im what you call an "ankle-biter". I just focus on keeping my hips square and wrapping up their knees...
Yeah, I'm a wing too for my high school team. If the guy with the ball is stupid I can sometimes just push him out of bounds.

Thanks a lot guys.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:13 PM    (permalink
'cuse-213
Pro Bowler

'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Surprised a few of you play rugby. Its NOWHERE around my location.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:13 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: I feel like a, like a slice o' butter,melting on top of a big-ol pile of flapjacks...yeah
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I stop, breadown, take one step back and wait for them to make their final move. If they take to long I just go after them.

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:15 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm a wing too for my high school team. If the guy with the ball is stupid I can sometimes just push him out of bounds.

Thanks a lot guys.
My high school doesn't have rugby, so I usually play on like college age teams with experienced kids so the out of bounds stuff usually doesn't happen with me. But lots of times if a kid sees he won't be able to get around me they'll just punt it which is always nice.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:23 PM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
My high school doesn't have rugby, so I usually play on like college age teams with experienced kids so the out of bounds stuff usually doesn't happen with me.
I'm not sure if i completely believe this, when we had our tour of Canada, England, Ireland, Scotland and France the general tactical play of the Canadians was nearly laughable. We were told after the game that the 5/8th and the halfback (the two main playmakers and tacticians for those who don't know) played in the national under 19's squad, and for the life of me i couldn't pick them as even decent players.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:25 PM    (permalink
CalBears99
Pro Bowler

My high school's team is touring Argentina this spring. Just throwin' it out there.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:30 PM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

Quote:
My high school's team is touring Argentina this spring. Just throwin' it out there.
Are you going? That'll be absolutely awesome. I've been on a few New Zealand tours and one world tour for rugby, best times of my life
Old 12-04-2007, 09:35 PM    (permalink
CalBears99
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-11 View Post
Are you going? That'll be absolutely awesome. I've been on a few New Zealand tours and one world tour for rugby, best times of my life
Dude no way I'm going haha. My school's got about 70 kids on the rugby team. Only like 24 are going and it'll be mostly seniors (I'm a junior). Plus I'm not big enough for varsity yet. Hopefully my senior year I'll be on varsity. The varsity team is #13 in the U.S.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:37 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just own everyone. I awesome open field tackling. I'd key on their mid area square up and keep my head up. if they juked one way or the other you put your head acorss wrap up and take them home
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was planning on playing rugby, but I missed the signups...

I play football though. The best thing you can do is go low. This kid on my team is the strongest kid I've ever seen. Another kid is extremely skinny. He brought him down with ease by just going low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-11 View Post
I'm not sure if i completely believe this, when we had our tour of Canada, England, Ireland, Scotland and France the general tactical play of the Canadians was nearly laughable. We were told after the game that the 5/8th and the halfback (the two main playmakers and tacticians for those who don't know) played in the national under 19's squad, and for the life of me i couldn't pick them as even decent players.
Rugby isn't our sport. :D

You won't find it in many high schools and the university teams aren't anything special either. Sort of a fringe sport like Lacrosse.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Dude no way I'm going haha. My school's got about 70 kids on the rugby team. Only like 24 are going and it'll be mostly seniors (I'm a junior). Plus I'm not big enough for varsity yet. Hopefully my senior year I'll be on varsity. The varsity team is #13 in the U.S.

what HS do you go to?

Quote:
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Old 12-04-2007, 09:38 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rugby>Football

Just throwing it out there
Old 12-04-2007, 09:40 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rugby Owns !!!
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:42 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
Rugby>Football

to watch/play, or both?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-04-2007, 09:43 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills2083 View Post
to watch/play, or both?
I actually dont watch much rugby, but definatly to play.

Also what positions are you guys.

I am a severly undersized prop
Old 12-04-2007, 09:43 PM    (permalink
'cuse-213
Pro Bowler

'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
Rugby>Football

Playing for over 20 years>Playing for 5

Not the arguement I should be in, I know nothing about rugby. I figure with no pads, injuries are more common?