Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football > Recruiting

Recruiting Discuss High School Recruiting

Old 12-12-2007, 12:40 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho@SC View Post
Like I said, speed and hands.
I don't agree with that. I'd rate attributes like this.

1. Hands
2. Route-Running
3. What you do after the catch
4. Tough Catch Ability
5. Blocking
6. Speed
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:29 PM    (permalink
JayP
Rookie

JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho@SC View Post
http://rivals100.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=692630

Brice Butler is a unanimous selection among Mike Farrell, JC Shurburtt, and Jeremy Crabtree as having the best hands.

Jeremy Crabtree: "Butler is also an excellent route runner."

I may not have seen EVERY video of Brice Butler, but the Rivals experts have seen a bunch of film on him.

And Floyd may have looked good on that film, but how do you know it wasn't because of the weak competition he was playing against?

Butler is widely regarded by recruiting experts as having some of the best hands in this year's class. And you can't argue that his 40 times are faster than Floyd's 40 times. Like I said, speed and hands.
Great, so you found 3 guys to validate a portion of your weak point.

Unfortunately, those same 3 help rank all of the WRs for Rivals, and Floyd is ranked ahead of Butler, meaning they must think that in the overall scheme of things, Floyd is a better WR than Butler.

You're trying to fall back on speed and hands as the sole requirements for a "polished" WR, but a truly polished WR can make the catch (difficult or routine), make something happen after the catch, and lay a block to spring a teammate for a big play.

Speed in a 40 yard dash isn't everything. Jerry Rice ran what...a 4.6? 4.7?

Butler is good. I just don't think he's better than Floyd right now.

Last edited by JayP : 12-12-2007 at 01:31 PM.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:34 PM    (permalink
VoteLynnSwan
All-Pro

VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
I don't agree with that. I'd rate attributes like this.

1. Hands
2. Route-Running
3. What you do after the catch
4. Tough Catch Ability
5. Blocking
6. Speed
no way is speed that low... speed i would put at 4 or 5. Blocking doesn't make a great receiver... Randy Moss i would argue is the best receiver in the NFL right now, and he doesn't do much if anything blocking wise.

Sig by me... Hold the applause.
VoteLynnSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:18 PM    (permalink
Jericho@SC
Rookie

Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP View Post
Great, so you found 3 guys to validate a portion of your weak point.

Unfortunately, those same 3 help rank all of the WRs for Rivals, and Floyd is ranked ahead of Butler, meaning they must think that in the overall scheme of things, Floyd is a better WR than Butler.

You're trying to fall back on speed and hands as the sole requirements for a "polished" WR, but a truly polished WR can make the catch (difficult or routine), make something happen after the catch, and lay a block to spring a teammate for a big play.

Speed in a 40 yard dash isn't everything. Jerry Rice ran what...a 4.6? 4.7?

Butler is good. I just don't think he's better than Floyd right now.

Fair enough. You have your opinion, I have mine. In terms of being polished, I just feel like Butler is less of a bust factor at this point because of his hands.

5 star WRs come into CFB and the Pros every year. Two things that you usually see from new WRs at both levels that make you realize that they perhaps aren't as good as they were advertised are dropped balls and inability to get open. You cant' be a good receiver if you can't catch balls thrown your way. By the same token, you won't get balls thrown your way if you can't get open.

If you look at USC this year, they had Vidal Hazelton, Patrick Turner, David Ausberry and Ronald Johnson. All 5 star talents. A mixture of "big bruising Mike Williams clones" and speedsters. Yet their passing game was weak this year because every single one of the the WR's struggled with dropped balls and for some reason couldn't get free from opposing corners.

I agree that Floyd is physically stronger and might have better RAC ability, but they said the same thing about Ausberry and Turner, and they both disappointed this year.

I'm not saying Floyd is going to do the same or that he can't catch or get open, but I'm wary of WRs who are touted more for their physical traits than fundamentals.

All I'm saying is that out of the two, I see Butler as less likely to have problems with dropped balls, and getting open. He's not an all world prospect, but I like him better a s a prospect.

Last edited by Jericho@SC : 12-12-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Jericho@SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:29 PM    (permalink
Jericho@SC
Rookie

Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoteLynnSwan View Post
no way is speed that low... speed i would put at 4 or 5. Blocking doesn't make a great receiver... Randy Moss i would argue is the best receiver in the NFL right now, and he doesn't do much if anything blocking wise.
I would put it

1. Hands - Obviously you gotta catch the ball

2. Route Running - If you run good routes, you can get open w/o speed.

3. Speed - On certain routes (streak), and against really good corners, without this
you won't get open.

4. Special Catch ability - Not all catches will be easy

5. Run after catch - I don't think this is that important. Most important thing is you catch the ball and get those yards. Also, it's not like NFL DB's aren't solid tacklers, so exceptional YAC is not common. RAC is more like a bonus rather than a necessity.

6. Blocking - Majority of WRs in the league aren't even good at this. No one expects a WR to be a great blocker.

Obviously you gotta catch the ball.
Jericho@SC is offline   Reply With Quote