Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 12-18-2007, 01:42 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Scar's mock offseason with a new scenario (again it's long)

First thing first... Who I want to see as out new coachign staff without taking away a lot of the coaches we currently have.
NEW COACHING STAFF
HC - Mike Singletary

OC - Hue Jackson
QB - Bill Musgrave
RB - Ollie Wilson
WR/TE - Keith Rowen (knows his stuff and has a hand in the WR's even though his title is only TE now.)
OL - Art Shell (man blocking scheme in pass with fatties who zone block run why we had a good pass and run game in 98)

DC - Mike Zimmer
DL - Richard Dent (I mean he is Singetary's friend and one of the best DT's of all time)
LB - Jesse Tuggle/Brian Van Gorder
DB - Emmit Thomas/Keion Carpenter

STC - Jerry Rosburg
S&C - Marcus, Puloka and Billy White Shoes

cut/let walk
QB Joey Harrington
QB Byron Leftwich
QB Michael Vick
RB Warrick Dunn
RB Artose Pinner
WR Jamin Elliott
WR Todd Watkins
WR Eric Weems
TE Dwayne Blakely
TE George Cooper
OT Harvey Dahl
OT Quinn Ojinnaka
OT Terrance Pennington
OT Todd Weiner
OG Kynan Forney
OG Travis Leffew
OG Kurt Quarterman
OC Ben Wilkerson
DE Kevin Huntley
DE Derrick Jones
DT Tim Anderson
DT Jesse Mahelona
DT David Patterson
DT Montavious Stanley
LB Earl Everett
LB Marcus Wilkins
LB Demorrio Williams
LB Travis Williams
CB Brent Grimes
CB Lewis Sanders
S Antoine Harris
S Omare Lowe
expected retirees:
WR Brian Finneran
OT Wayne Gandy
S Lawyer Milloy
K Morten Anderson
Re-sign to better/longer contracts:
QB Chris Redman
QB D.J. Shockley
RB Jerious Norwood
WR Michael Jenkins
WR Roddy White
LB Michael Boley
CB DeAngelo Hall
S Chris Crocker
depth chart before the draft/FA
QB Chris Redman/D.J. Shockley
RB Jerious Norwood/Jason Snelling
FB Ovie Mughelli/Corey McIntyre
WR Roddy White/Joe Horn
WR Laurent Robinson/Michael Jenkins/Adam Jennings
TE Alge Crumpler/Martrez Milner/Courtney Anderson
LT Renardo Foster
LG Justin Blalock
C Todd McClure/Doug Datish
RG D'Anthony Batiste
RT Tyson Clabo

RE John Abraham
UT Rod Coleman/Jonathan Babineaux
NT Trey Lewis
LE Jamaal Anderson/Chauncey Davis
WLB Keith Brooking/Stephen Nicholas
MLB Tony Taylor
SLB Michael Boley
LCB DeAngelo Hall/David Irons
RCB Chris Houston
SS Chris Crocker/Daren Stone
FS Jimmy Williams

K
P Michael Koenen
LS Mike Schneck
KR Jerious Norwood
PR

main needs
Starting QB, both starting OT spots, starting RG, starting MLB, starting NT
starting K, starting PR/KR, Depth at CB, DE, LB, FS, and all OL, as well as a possible power back

Free Agent Signings
I see us picking up 2 really big free agents. and 2 good depth guys. my view as our FA:
Max Starks - Offensive Tackle - 6'7" 337
Will be at worst a solid backup at the RT spot. Is a powerful player but getting beat out by Willie Colon kind of scares me on him. I hope to see him return to form however and be our new bookend on the RT spot
Albert Haynesworth - Nose Tackle - 6'6" 320
We need a Nose Tackle. Haynesworth has been a beast this year and I think he would be great no matter who our new coach is as our Nose Tackle. I also think he would be the perfect guy to compliment Coleman, Abraham and Anderson.
Boss Bailey - Linebacker - 6'3" 235
After cutting Wilkins, we need some solid depth at the SLB spot. Bailey is a starting caliber SLB but has been slipping lately and would be a backup for us at both SLB and WLB and good ST depth.
B.J. Sams - Cornerback - 5'10" 185
Is a solid nickel back, and will give Irons good competition, but was also a great KR and PR and is signed for that. Unlike Rossum though, he can actually be a solid Nickel corner for us and beat out Irons.
Trade
PIT gets:
2008 2nd round (#34 overall)
2008 4th round (#98 overall)
2009 4th round
ATL gets:
2008 1st round (#24 overall)

Reasoning - it's a good value for a trade up and we get our franchise QB as explained later.

Draft
(picking #3 in each round, has the Steelers 6th and a comp 4th)
1st round - #3 overall
Jake Long - Offensive Tackle - 6'7" 313 - Michigan
After missing out on Darren McFadden due to the Jets selecting him at 2 and Dorsey because of the Dolphins taking him at one. We take our franchise LT here in Long. People say he is a RT in the pros but he plays LT in a Zone scheme at Michigan and I believe he will make a great LT in the pros as well as be that leader on our OL.

1st round - #24 overall
Andre Woodson - Quarterback - 6'5" 230 - Kentucky
Pocket passing QB who uses his mobility to buy time for his WRs to get open. Has a big arm and plays in a low % passing offense. Is a very good leader as well and with the talent we can get could lead us to the Super Bowl.

2nd round - #49 overall (from HOU for Schaub)
Jonathan Goff - Middle Linebacker - 6'4" 240 - Vanderbilt
We need a Mike Linebacker with Singletary coming in. Goff has all of the same physical tools DeMeco Ryans had coming out with great instincts, and under Singletary, Zimmer, Van Gorder and Tuggle's tutelage he coudl be a top MLB in the NFL right out of the gates.

3rd round - #66 overall
Barry Richardson - Offensive Tackle - 6'7" 330 - Clemson
Good player and leader for Clemson. Will be good competition to Starks fresh out of the gate and will eventually take over for him one day. At worst he will be a good backup to both tackle spots for us.

4th round - Comp pick for Kerney
Robert Felton - Offensive Guard - 6'4" 328 - Arkansa
Big, powerful, quick. He is a good power guard and will give good competition to Tyson Clabo at RG and will allow us to have our best players on the OL at all times. With a line of Long-Blalock-Datich-Felton-Richardson one day will help us dominate hte NFCS.

5th round - #130 overall
Brandon Coutu - Kicker - 6'0" 200 - Georgia
Possibly our best bet for a good kicker. Coutu has been clutch whenever I saw him and he has a booming leg. One of the main reasons why I wanted to see Georgia in the National Title game.

6th round - #162 overall
Chris Harrington - Defensive End - 6'5" 265 - Texas A&M
Great quickness off the snap, and a true pass rusher. Is one of the veteran leaders for Texas A&M and will be a good spell for Abraham. His run stuffing could use some work but for the most part is a solid all around defensive end.

6th round - #183 overall (from PIT for Rossum)
BenJarvus Green-Ellis - Running Back - 5'11" 225 - Ole Miss
The man with 5 names. He is a hard runner and is a power guy for us. I've seen good things out of him and he could be the kind of guy who would be our power runner and a perfect compliment to Norwood.

7th round - #194 overall
Jamal Lewis - Free Safety - 6'0" 199 - Georgia Tech
Jamal is a ballhawk. Always around the ball and always making plays. While he may not be the top player in the safety class, he has potential to be a great one and will give competition to Jimmy at FS.

Depth Chart
QB Andre Woodson/Chris Redman/D.J. Shockley
RB Jerious Norwood/BenJarvus Green-Ellis/Jason Snelling
FB Ovie Mughelli/Corey McIntyre
WR Roddy White/Joe Horn
WR Laurent Robinson/Michael Jenkins/Adam Jennings
TE Alge Crumpler/Martrez Milner/Courtney Anderson
LT Jake Long/Renardo Foster
LG Justin Blalock/D'Anthony Batiste
C Todd McClure/Doug Datish
RG Tyson Clabo/Robert Felton
RT Max Starks/Barry Richardson

RE John Abraham/Chris Harrington
UT Rod Coleman/Jonathan Babineaux
NT Albert Haynesworth/Trey Lewis
LE Jamaal Anderson/Chauncey Davis
WLB Keith Brooking/Stephen Nicholas
MLB Jonathan Goff/Tony Taylor
SLB Michael Boley/Boss Bailey
LCB DeAngelo Hall/David Irons
RCB Chris Houston/B.J. Sams
SS Chris Crocker/Daren Stone
FS Jimmy Williams/Jamal Lewis

K Brandon Coutu
P Michael Koenen
LS Mike Schneck
KR B.J. Sams/Jerious Norwood
PR B.J. Sams

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report

Last edited by scar988 : 12-18-2007 at 09:30 PM.
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:46 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not to nitpick, but no way Pittsburgh trades out of the first round for two fourth rounders. Especially when teams look at futures picks as one round lower in value.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:48 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Horrible trade.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:23 PM    (permalink
flrybranch
Rookie

flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.

I think cutting Weiner to start a rookie with questionable feet at LT is a bad idea

Norwood can't handle the load as a starter, better have someone else ready for when he gets hurt.

We can't afford Starks and Haynesworth

No way you let a Woodson start this year, do you really want Redman as your starter?

The trade is totally unrealistic.

Sorry to be so negative about this. You obviously put in a lot of time, but I disagree with a lot of what you did.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:28 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haynesworth will be a very rich man and we won't be able to grab him unless we get Michael Vick's money back. Cutting some players helps but that money will be needed to re-sign the players you want us to re-sign.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:31 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flrybranch View Post
I think cutting Weiner to start a rookie with questionable feet at LT is a bad idea

Norwood can't handle the load as a starter, better have someone else ready for when he gets hurt.

We can't afford Starks and Haynesworth

No way you let a Woodson start this year, do you really want Redman as your starter?

The trade is totally unrealistic.

Sorry to be so negative about this. You obviously put in a lot of time, but I disagree with a lot of what you did.
1) LONG PLAYS LT NOW!!! His feet are fine. you know who else has "Questionable feet" coming out?
Marcus McNeill.
2) yes we can. with the cuts we make and the Vick bankruptcy we can get near 20M in cap this year MINIMUM. we will have the money. that's not a question.
3) fine no Woodson starting. I'd be willing to take a hit for a year before worrying about startign him if that's what it took.
4) the trade is perfectly realistic. I've seen trades like it before.
5) it's cool, I'm just saying it's all possible.

Owner of ScarDraft
Old 12-18-2007, 06:37 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Haynesworth will be a very rich man and we won't be able to grab him unless we get Michael Vick's money back. Cutting some players helps but that money will be needed to re-sign the players you want us to re-sign.
we'll be able to do it. trust me. we will.

Owner of ScarDraft
Old 12-18-2007, 07:56 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Maybe, but trading up 10 spots that high in the draft is not that easy. A 4th and future 4th is not enough.

Main problem with the draft is runningback. The Falcons need one to be successful in my opinion.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:29 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

Quote:
Maybe, but trading up 10 spots that high in the draft is not that easy. A 4th and future 4th is not enough.

Main problem with the draft is runningback. The Falcons need one to be successful in my opinion.
I understand your reasoning...

um, we have one in Norwood. Green-Ellis in the 6th is a good player too. IMO we need the OL for the RB to succeed more than the RB himself. just look at Cleveland. yes they got Lewis, but even when they didn't have him they had a solid run game because of their OL.

Owner of ScarDraft
Old 12-18-2007, 09:17 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't we have to re-sign Boley??
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:26 PM    (permalink
oldLibid21
Veteran

oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Woodson at 24? Uhh...
oldLibid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:28 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft King View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't we have to re-sign Boley??
we will re-sign boley. I just forgot to put it under the re-signs...

Owner of ScarDraft
Old 12-19-2007, 10:32 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I wouldn't be very happy with this draft. I don't think Woodson has what it takes...we have Byron Leftwich, I don't want another pitcher style windup back there at QB. I'd rather have Colt than Woodson.

Lots of other things I don't really like...it's not bad...just not what I'd like personally. Great work on putting all this together though.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:34 PM    (permalink
oldLibid21
Veteran

oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
I wouldn't be very happy with this draft. I don't think Woodson has what it takes...we have Byron Leftwich, I don't want another pitcher style windup back there at QB. I'd rather have Colt than Woodson.

Lots of other things I don't really like...it's not bad...just not what I'd like personally. Great work on putting all this together though.
You don't want another pitcher style wind up quarterback, yet you want Brennan who has worse mechanics than Woodson does? Something's not right here...
oldLibid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:30 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar988 View Post
I understand your reasoning...

um, we have one in Norwood. Green-Ellis in the 6th is a good player too. IMO we need the OL for the RB to succeed more than the RB himself. just look at Cleveland. yes they got Lewis, but even when they didn't have him they had a solid run game because of their OL.
Norwood can't handle a season with 100 carries without getting banged up, let alone 250-300.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:31 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLibid View Post
You don't want another pitcher style wind up quarterback, yet you want Brennan who has worse mechanics than Woodson does? Something's not right here...
At least Brennan's release is quick.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:26 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Norwood can't handle a season with 100 carries without getting banged up, let alone 250-300.

A fact that all too often goes unnoticed...

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:16 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLibid View Post
Brennan has a super quick release...I don't want a windup that takes twice as long to get the pass out.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote