Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:52 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Stiller Mock, Week 16

I Tried a different approach.

Free Agency:

Losing: Alan Faneca, Dan Kreider, Brian St. Pierre, Clark Haggans, Nick Eason, Travis Kirschke, Trai Essex (Cut), Jerame Tuman (Cut), Brian St. Pierre

Signs:

Max Starks, LT ~ Re-Signed
Ben Roethlisberger, QB ~ Extension
Bryant McFadden, CB ~ Between #2 and NB money
Chris Kemoeatu, OG
Greg Warren, LS
Nate Washington, RFA
Andre Frazier, RFA
Arnold Harrison, ERFA

New Additions:

Randy Starks, RDE, Tennessee ~ DE Depth
Keyaron Fox, LB, Kansas City ~ ILB depth/ST's

1) Philip Merling, DE/OLB, Clemson ~ 6'5 265lbs 4.71

Merling is in the mold of James Harrison, just 5 inches taller, a good amount faster, and just as good against the run. I think with the fact that we've been spoiled this year with a ROLB that's just as good against the run as the pass, we should add to it. With some tuning Merling is going to be a monster 3-4 OLB.

2) Tracy Porter, CB/KR/PR, Indiana ~ 5'11 190lbs 4.37

Porter provides us with everything we could ask for. A fast, quick twitch CB that can run with anyone. Not to mention the fact he's a pretty premier Kick returner only makes this pick more sweet. Also he gives us something we've been lacking in the secondary, a pair of hands.

3) John Greco, RT, Toledo ~ 6'5 320lbs 5.22

John Greco is a mountain. His height and weight wouldn't suggest it, but this guy is the strongest guy on the toledo team. Considered to be a better player than former Toledo LT turned Patriots RT Nick Kaczur. He's stronger, quicker, and is less fragile. He's started 46 straight games.

4) Nick Hayden, LDE, Wisconsin ~ 6'4 315lbs 5.12

Hayden possesses all the key requirements of a talented 3-4 DE. He's not a big flair guy, nor is he a great passrusher. But for those of us that love Aaron Smith, this kid is of the same cloth. He's a hardworking, Blue collar, lunchpail type of guy. He may never get the recognition he deserves, but he can hold the point, he can collapse the pocket, and stuff the run. he's not a great passrusher, but he will be a guy to get a sack when he gets any opportunities.

5) Ernest Wheelwright, WR, Minnesota ~ 6'5 220lbs 4.54

I don't think there will ever be a highly rated Minnesota WR. Minnesota doesn't have a great defense, or talent at a majority of their positions. But I believe that Wheelwright has the potential to be a really good WR, especially in our scheme. He's got the size at 6'5 to create a mismatch, he has the speed to be a deceptive deep threat, he's also one of the best blocking WRs in college. He's really turned it on this year. He'll come in and challenge Wilson/Reid for the #4 spot. Reid has not done anything to show that he'll stick, and Wilson will play great one game, then drop every pass the next. Washington is also looking good right now, but he has the most hot cold streaks of any player I know.

6) Andrew Bain, OG, Miami ~ 6'3 325lbs 5.29

Bain is a solidly athletic guard that could be developed into a future LG. He's shown the ability to be a very good guard in the league. If Miami was not a wreck of a team, he'd probably be ranked higher. He's a solid run blocker and very good pass blocker, hell knows we could use it.

UDFA's:

Adam Tafralis, QB, San Jose State ~ #3 QB

Jehuu Caulcrick, FB/RB/SYB, Michigan State ~ #3 RB, #2 FB, #1 Short Yardage Back.

Jeremy Young, WR/QB, Southern Miss ~ WR competition.

Tony Banks, WR, Mississippi State ~ WR Competition

Kolo Kapanui, TE, West Texas A&M ~ 3rd TE Competition

Brandon Davis, TE, Northern Illinois ~ 3rd TE Competition

Cody Balogh, Utility OL, Montana ~ Can play all 4 exterior OL spots. Depth/competition.

Fernando Velasco, Interior OL, Georgia ~ Can play all 3 interior OL spots.

Defense...

Johnny Dingle, RDE/Rover, West Virginia ~ PS Rover developmental player.

Josh Thompson, NT, Auburn ~ PS Developmental NT.

Martail Burnett, LOLB, Utah ~ LOLB Depth behind Woodley. Challenge A. Harrison.

Kroy Biermann, ILB, Montana ~ ILB depth, challenge Kreidwaldt.

David Roach, FS/SS, TCU ~ Challenge Carter for Backup FS/SS
`

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:00 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im starting to read more about Merling, and what I have read, I liked. I know he isnt fat or big enough to be a 3-4 d end, but I would bring him in on passing downs with him putting his hand down. But if Duke Robinson is there, thats who I pick.

I love the Porter pick as he is a player I really, really want. I believe he could become a Pro Bowl KR with some time. If we fail to get Porter, I would look at Eddie Royal later in the draft or UDFA for a KR/PR.

Greco is a good player that I really like. He will be a solid player.

I dont know about Hayden. You like him so thats all I know about him.

I dont know anything about Bain or Wheelright so I wont comment on them.

I really want Caulcrick as I believe he will be our newest UDFA rb to make the team.

Overall, nice mock.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:01 PM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dont you think O line is a bigger problem then round 3 and 6? Ben cant stay healthy behind the crap line we have now, and were losing faneca.

BTW
What happened to that big d write up you were going to do?

Last edited by steelersfan43 : 12-21-2007 at 11:07 PM.
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:57 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan43 View Post
Dont you think O line is a bigger problem then round 3 and 6? Ben cant stay healthy behind the crap line we have now, and were losing faneca.

BTW
What happened to that big d write up you were going to do?

LOL that writeup is still coming.

I'm sorry I forgot to explain the deal.

OL:

Max Starks ~ Willie Colon ~ Sean Mahan ~ Kendall Simmons ~ Marvel Smith
Marvel Smth ~ Chris Kemo ~ Stapleton ~ Andrew Bain ~ John Greco.

And No, I think with another year with Zierlein (Kendall Simmons has improved ten fold, Starks is looking like a Franchise LT, with another offseason and some weight loss/ working with Zierlein..) I think Going round 1 or 2 with OL is a bit perplexing.

Frankly, if the playcalling doesn't change, ben is going to get sacked 35-40 times a year. If we upgrade the defense (Pass rush and coverage + DL) It should make our defense more stout.

I think with Starks at LT(He's a natural lefty).. He should improve.

With Colon at LG, I think he's 2x the pass blocker but .75% of the run blocker Faneca is. So the Left side of the line should be blowing open the run game..

Add that with Marvel training John Greco at RT, and Kendall Simmons improving and being the most consistent OL since the Jets game..

This OL isn't that bad. I know they aren't pass blocking great, but you can't do it in one draft or year, and frankly, I think the State of our defense is in more disarray.

You can't give up 24 points, almost 200+ yards rushing a game.

And if you want to even have a chance to beat the patriots, we need another CB and Passrusher.

So, I think the OL had a bad season, but I've seen improvement. I see some shuffling will make us better. Marvel doesn't struggle on the right side, Colon doesn't have to deal with edge rushers on the left. Starks seems more natural on the left.

First round pick in 2009 though, is Center. Unless Stapleton beats Mahan, which, it wouldn't take much.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:59 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
Im starting to read more about Merling, and what I have read, I liked. I know he isnt fat or big enough to be a 3-4 d end, but I would bring him in on passing downs with him putting his hand down. But if Duke Robinson is there, thats who I pick.

I love the Porter pick as he is a player I really, really want. I believe he could become a Pro Bowl KR with some time. If we fail to get Porter, I would look at Eddie Royal later in the draft or UDFA for a KR/PR.

Greco is a good player that I really like. He will be a solid player.

I dont know about Hayden. You like him so thats all I know about him.

I dont know anything about Bain or Wheelright so I wont comment on them.

I really want Caulcrick as I believe he will be our newest UDFA rb to make the team.

Overall, nice mock.
I'm not a fan of Duke Robinson.

Sometimes he plays with passion, but sometimes, he just looks like a really tall fat guy just standing there. He doesn't dominate at the rate his size and ability would indicate. I have no reason to believe that will change much at the pro level.

If I go OG early, the first guy I'd pick is Schuenning.

And I don't think the OL is as dire as everyone thinks.. some shuffling and this OL could be the best since 98.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:23 AM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
LOL that writeup is still coming.

I'm sorry I forgot to explain the deal.

OL:

Max Starks ~ Willie Colon ~ Sean Mahan ~ Kendall Simmons ~ Marvel Smith
Marvel Smth ~ Chris Kemo ~ Stapleton ~ Andrew Bain ~ John Greco.

And No, I think with another year with Zierlein (Kendall Simmons has improved ten fold, Starks is looking like a Franchise LT, with another offseason and some weight loss/ working with Zierlein..) I think Going round 1 or 2 with OL is a bit perplexing.

Frankly, if the playcalling doesn't change, ben is going to get sacked 35-40 times a year. If we upgrade the defense (Pass rush and coverage + DL) It should make our defense more stout.

I think with Starks at LT(He's a natural lefty).. He should improve.

With Colon at LG, I think he's 2x the pass blocker but .75% of the run blocker Faneca is. So the Left side of the line should be blowing open the run game..

Add that with Marvel training John Greco at RT, and Kendall Simmons improving and being the most consistent OL since the Jets game..

This OL isn't that bad. I know they aren't pass blocking great, but you can't do it in one draft or year, and frankly, I think the State of our defense is in more disarray.

You can't give up 24 points, almost 200+ yards rushing a game.

And if you want to even have a chance to beat the patriots, we need another CB and Passrusher.

So, I think the OL had a bad season, but I've seen improvement. I see some shuffling will make us better. Marvel doesn't struggle on the right side, Colon doesn't have to deal with edge rushers on the left. Starks seems more natural on the left.

First round pick in 2009 though, is Center. Unless Stapleton beats Mahan, which, it wouldn't take much.
ok, I see what your saying about the OL. I really dont want to use a high pick on them, it would be boring(lol).

About the d, so do you think they were overachieving all year, and this is the true form, or were just struggling now because of injurys and whatnot?
Old 12-22-2007, 01:03 AM    (permalink
SteelCityNightmare
Rookie

SteelCityNightmare hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Do you think the Steelers are going to make any waves in the free agent market (Crayton, Samuel, Asomugha, etc.)? I am not familiar with what cap shape they are in, and I know they are going to take a hit when they give Ben an extension. Also, is there any inkling of a chance of them signing Faneca?
SteelCityNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:11 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Will Hayden be at the Senior Bowl? If so, I wanna watch what you like about him Stiller.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:39 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan43 View Post
ok, I see what your saying about the OL. I really dont want to use a high pick on them, it would be boring(lol).

About the d, so do you think they were overachieving all year, and this is the true form, or were just struggling now because of injurys and whatnot?
I think it's a mix of things.

1) I think the beginning of the season was in large part to a soft schedule. I'm not saying they didn't "Deserve it" But they didn't exactly face top notch competition.

2) The offense hasn't been helping. Even if we go 6 or 9 and out, that gives the defense more of a breather.

3) Age. I honestly think the fact the average age of our defense has to be fairly close to 30 is taking it's toll. Haggans, Smith, Kirschke, Hampton, Farrior, Harrison, DeShea, Kreidwaldt, Hoke Carter are getting up in age. It's not easy to have an aging defense and be energetic all season. Look at NE's team. If their offense wasn't so explosive and forcing opposing teams to be one dimensional, their defense would be exploited worse than ours has all season.

4) Confidence. I think the Pats really killed our mojo. Then add the disappointing defeat at the hands of the Jaguars. This team needed to not only beat the Rams for Playoffs sake, but for their confidence. This team is too good to underachieve like they have.

So I think that does a lot of it. And why I want to add some Youth at every level.

We're likely losing Haggans. We need a LB. We could use a good guy behind Harrison because in a year or 2 he's likely going to decline. The Steelers screwed themselves by not starting him sooner. Not to mention this is the first season that Harrison has actually stayed healthy. He's been injured for a fair amount of games. Adding Merling would give us a young Duo of Woodley and Merling. Add Harrison and Frazier or Arnold Harrison and that should give us some youth. And someone has to tell Dicky that it's ok to rotate those OLB's to keep them fresh.

I also think Aaron Smith lost more than people would like to think.

I don't mind taking OL in the first round. If there is a very elite Guard (Shawn Andrews, Alan Faneca, Steve Hutchinson). I don't see one. Duke Robinson isn't one. I think Jeremy Perry is the next 1st round OG.

Quote:
Do you think the Steelers are going to make any waves in the free agent market (Crayton, Samuel, Asomugha, etc.)? I am not familiar with what cap shape they are in, and I know they are going to take a hit when they give Ben an extension. Also, is there any inkling of a chance of them signing Faneca?
I think they'll bring in a guy or two (I picked Randy Starks and Keyaron Fox), I don't think they'll change their MO at all this season.

They have roughly 18-22M in cap space. You figure about 4-5M of that goes to Rookies.

They could actually extend Ben Roethlisberger and Marvel Smith this season without changing their cap hits.

Frankly, with Marvels back I'm not sure we re-sign him. I think we move him to RT for a season to bring John Greco along, but I don't liek the idea of re-signing him. His disc is dislogged and it's pinching a nerve. it randomly flares up and causes issues.

I see them extending Ben and Bryant McFadden this offseason.

I can't see them dropping a 4-5 year 30+ M contract for anyone.. It's not their MO and I don't see anyone worth doing it for..

Jared Allen will get franchised.
Justin Smith isn't worth the money someone will pay him.
Terrell Suggs has done squat, in a contract year. If Big payday doesn't motivate him, what will?
Asomugha and Samuel will command near Clements money (Samuel will want almost identical, Asomugha probably around 6 for 50-60).

I think Starks at RDE backup (Taking over Kirschke), and Hayden coming in for Aaron Smith (LDE), Smith came to Pittsburgh as a 6'4 280lb DE, Hayden is coming as a 6'4 315lb DT. So I think that should get some push on that left side again.

As for Faneca... I heard they've sent 3 feelers out this season and Faneca snubbed them all. I'm sorry, I love Alan Faneca for his hardwork for this team, but he's not worth Top 5 OG Money. I'm sorry, Faneca has been great, and this season he's solid, but he's not top 5 anymore.

The way I see it.. Colon at LG after another offseason, his strength should be more than sufficient, and being next to Starks should improve the run game.

Quote:
Will Hayden be at the Senior Bowl? If so, I wanna watch what you like about him Stiller.
No, I'm glad he didn't. If he did I'm sure he'd be a round 2-3 pick. He'll be at the East West Shrine Game.

Just a quick note *** Tyler Grisham will be the next "Wes Welker" Quick slot receiver that can be killed numerous times on the field but will still get up and tick.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:54 AM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

Interesting, im looking forward to that d write up..

Last edited by steelersfan43 : 12-23-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:39 AM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stiller, what do you think of Beau Bell??? You have to expect that Timmons will be starting in a year or two (over Foote), and farrior will be OLD by then. I think Bell has 1st round potential, but will fall to the 2nd and maybe the 3rd. I think he would be a great fit at LILB...and to be honest i dont think Foote is good enough to move to LILB, he doesnt shed blocks well and he misses allot of tackles. Do you think that we would look at ILB that early??? Or do you not think it's a big enough need right now??? Thanks bro

EDIT: I love the resigning of Starks...he has looked like a diferent player over on the left, and he has been straight up dominating

Last edited by Jakey : 12-22-2007 at 05:42 AM.
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:02 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
Stiller, what do you think of Beau Bell??? You have to expect that Timmons will be starting in a year or two (over Foote), and farrior will be OLD by then. I think Bell has 1st round potential, but will fall to the 2nd and maybe the 3rd. I think he would be a great fit at LILB...and to be honest i dont think Foote is good enough to move to LILB, he doesnt shed blocks well and he misses allot of tackles. Do you think that we would look at ILB that early??? Or do you not think it's a big enough need right now??? Thanks bro

EDIT: I love the resigning of Starks...he has looked like a diferent player over on the left, and he has been straight up dominating
I like Bell a lot...I think he will jump into the second round. Late second round that is. I believe he has to put on lower body strength as isee his legs as skinny. That can be worked on though, he will be a beast..
Old 12-22-2007, 01:17 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post

I think Bell is a very good player, but I don't think he's what we're looking for in terms of ILB's. He's absolutely great in coverage, but his lower body strength and his issues shedding blocks, that will make use look the other way.

I think Bell goes mid round 2 and depending on how much his combine #'s vary from the projected ones, he could probably fall to round 4.

A guy I'd watch is Nevada's Junior ILB Josh Muaga. If he comes out, he could be a 3rd-4th rounder at the earliest and he's a thumper with good coverage skills.

Frankly my favorite guy to replace him with would be likely a 3rd rounder in 2009. Dave Philistin of Maryland.

He's not considered the beast that Erin Henderson is, but he's big enough, strong enough and he's certainly fast enough to work behind Farrior to one day take over.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:47 PM    (permalink
TerribleEd
Rookie

TerribleEd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I really like it. One of your best.

I dig the signing of Fernando Velasco. I think he's actually worth drafting on day 2.
TerribleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:20 PM    (permalink
cdobry1991
Veteran

cdobry1991 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
I Tried a different approach.

Free Agency:

Losing: Alan Faneca, Dan Kreider, Brian St. Pierre, Clark Haggans, Nick Eason, Travis Kirschke, Trai Essex (Cut), Jerame Tuman (Cut), Brian St. Pierre

`
You've got us losing St.Pierre twice.

Besides that, I like the write up and what might possibly happen in our off-season.
cdobry1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:24 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdobry1991 View Post
You've got us losing St.Pierre twice.

Besides that, I like the write up and what might possibly happen in our off-season.
Sorry I actually got excited seeing that on there twice.