Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 12-24-2007, 10:44 PM    (permalink
junior2430
Veteran

junior2430 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.junior2430 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Well, Gold and Webster need to go. Gold's just lost it. He used to be outstanding, but his time has come and gone. Webster will make a play or two, but makes so many assignment errors it's ridiculous. Maybe a move back to MLB would help. Maybe.

I agree that DJ is the best on the weakside as well, but is above average in the middle. I could see him staying in the middle if we can't find a better option. Weakside is the easiest to replace.

Ideally, we get Phillips/Rivers/Connor in the first. If we can nab Phillips, then I'd love to see someone like Beau Bell or Tavares Gooden in the second. Both could play either SLB or MLB.

I know Scott mentioned Rivers could possibly play inside here. That could be interesting, and would allow DJ to move back to the WLB spot. Then we'd only need an upgrade at SLB.

Secondly, Holland and Pears are aweful. Lepsis is a the end of the line as well. If Nalen and Hamilton come back, then the interior of the line should be fine. Hopefully Harris is ready to step in at LT or RT by next year.

Third, I really hope Lynch retires. Abdullah is a good SS in the making, but we really need a playmaking FS back there. Lynch offers zero in coverage, and in facts hurts us quite a bit back there.

And yes, we could upgrade use some more talent at DT, but that's not as big of a need as LB/S/OT.

And anyone who thinks Shanahan should be gone needs to check themselves. Where would we get a better coach?
Old 12-25-2007, 07:20 PM    (permalink
junior2430
Veteran

junior2430 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.junior2430 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
who cares, my dog could've called better goalline plays. a fullback dive, into the best player on san diego's defense, twice in a row? high school coaches could've called a better game. shanny needs a serious reality check.
My point is this. If he goes, then who do we get to become coach? Someone better? I don't think so.

Did I like the FB dive twice? No, but we wouldn't have won the game even if we had scored there.

There is no question the line needs to be upgraded, particularly Holland and Pears. Shanahan has even admitted so. I really don't think we can afford to let Hamilton go. Whether or not Nalen comes back, the interior of the line would be good with Hamilton, Myers, Kuper, and possibly Nalen. Hopefully Harris will progress enough to play one of the tackle spots.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:08 PM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

rascal hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

There are some serious questions about Harris' back. He had surgery before his senior year, and one reason why he didn't play well, and he had surgery again this year. I don't know if we can rely on him.

Holland has been our best o-lineman this year, so I don't understand the problem people have with him.

And Rivers at MLB? Please...the kid is 220 pounds. Our LB's can't get off blocks as it is, we don't need an Ian Gold at MLB as well.

O-line and D-line should be the focus of this team. Having good units up front can make up for a lot of deficiencies in other areas. It's common sense football. It all starts up front and as even the idiotic announcers Monday night observed...the broncos lines are horrible.
rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:14 PM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

Quote:
to the above:

DJ's first step is almost always backwards. this is a MAJOR nono at linebacker, no matter how crappy your line is. he regularly mis-reads the run and ends up making the tackle 5 yards after the play. i forget when i did it, but several weeks ago, i counted his tackles over 2 or 3 games. 80%+ were after a gain of at least 5 yards. that's absolutely pathetic, and insofar as i've seen him, is due mostly to having essentially no instincts at the position. i plan to, as much as i can, count the plays again tonight where he makes an awful read that has nothing to do with the line. to be fair, i'll try to count plays where he's getting drilled by a lineman immediately.

on the other hand, when a lineman DOES get through (which, face it, is going to happen), DJ is atrocious at getting off a block. once the back has gotten by him, he's been excellent at catching up to him. but really, is that the best use of his athleticism?

ian gold is obviously awful, but if it were entirely on our d-line, why is nate webster playing so well? why is he regularly disrupting plays in the backfield and why is he the ONLY guy making the big third down stops recently? imo, it's because he's actually the only guy at linebacker playing at the proper position.

DJ should move back to will, where he unarguably had by far his best season so far in denver. he's a perfect fit at the spot. he's athletic enough to cover TEs, and it frees him up from having to shed blocks and diagnose plays (2 things he demonstratably bad at). could he get better at MLB? sure. eventually. and he has gotten better this year. but progressing from literally one of the worst linebackers in the NFL to simply mediocre hardly strikes me as a big checkmark next to the position.

further, what DT do you guys think will actually be available when we draft who's worth getting? sed ellis doesn't help DJ. okam, at this point, would be an epic reach.

keep in mind a couple of major things:

1) i love DJ, just not at MLB.
2) i don't disagree with the need for another DT or two. i just disagree with taking one in the first.
3) in either case, i have no interest whatsoever in signing another "sam adams", i'd rather spend a couple of more years being mediocre than take a risk with yet another worthless journeyman (i'm also not interested at all in haynesworth, unless he only signs a one year deal or it's HEAVILY weighted with performance incentives).
DJ did take a step back initially, but he has been getting better lately. He still has room for improvement. Putting him back at WLB would be ideal, but finding a SLB and MLB in one offseason are difficult. I think it would be easier to find a SLB and WLB. But if it can be done then go ahead. Problem is that there are no MLB available in FA (that are better anyway) and the draft class is weak at MLB. I say target Dansby or Briggs and then get Beau in the draft who IMO is underrated.

Corey Williams from GB would be a great addition IMO at DT. We should still spend a first day pick on another DT though. A combo of Williams, Thomas, McKinny, rookie would be an improvement over this year. People love Okam's measure ables, but I question his desire and mental toughness.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:11 PM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

Another LB we should look at in the draft is Jonathan Goff.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:12 PM    (permalink
JCutlery
Veteran

JCutlery hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
just on a sidenote: that was, hands down, the worst announcing i can ever remember in a football game. they consistently mis-called things that were happening and failed to notice fairly obvious breakdowns/flaws.
tony kornheiser is the worst monday night analyst, EVER.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:51 PM    (permalink
junior2430
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCutlery View Post
tony kornheiser is the worst monday night analyst, EVER.
Ummmm....Dennis Miller?
Old 12-27-2007, 04:16 PM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

Quote:
just on a sidenote: that was, hands down, the worst announcing i can ever remember in a football game. they consistently mis-called things that were happening and failed to notice fairly obvious breakdowns/flaws.
I agree, and ironically it fits considering how we played.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:16 PM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior2430 View Post
Ummmm....Dennis Miller?
at least he was funny occasionally. Kornhole contributes absolutely nothing.