Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:12 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
my vote would be no on him if i had a gun to my head, but then, i think san diego fans are only defending him because he's on san diego. had peyton manning been caught with steroids, i'm sure they'd be jumping all over themselves to agree that it should disqualify him from contending with LT for the award.
Well the big anti-Merriman fans are either rivals (NIP, easyb) or fans of the team that took Ware over him (dwaresackmachine). There is an agenda either way.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:13 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver
Quote:
my vote would be no on him if i had a gun to my head, but then, i think san diego fans are only defending him because he's on san diego. had peyton manning been caught with steroids, i'm sure they'd be jumping all over themselves to agree that it should disqualify him from contending with LT for the award.
Well the big anti-Merriman fans are either rivals (NIP, easyb) or fans of the team that took Ware over him (dwaresackmachine). There is an agenda either way.
sure, there always is here. although honestly, i haven't seen many AFC West folks calling for peyton for MVP over LT. *shrug*
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:41 PM    (permalink
marks01234
Veteran

marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a Chargers fan so if anything I have a pro-merriman agenda if anything.

He plain doesn't deserve the award over Jason Taylor (and Champ Bailey IMO) at this point. That's putting the steriod issue aside and treating it like an injury.

That being said, I do think he's the best defensive player in the AFC.
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:42 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Where do I fall under that?

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:44 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151
Quote:
Quote:
you're a jason taylor homer.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:40 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151
Quote:
Quote:
you're a jason taylor homer.
What about before the JT4MVP stuff when he was first suspended?

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:52 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No, by "anti-Merriman" I mean those who consider that 'he was caught once, he will always be considered a cheater' group.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:51 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No, by "anti-Merriman" I mean those who consider that 'he was caught once, he will always be considered a cheater' group.
Yah those people need to get laid or go outside more. BTW I think Champ's stock has dropped quite a bit with a 4 game nosedive. It's probably down to Taylor, Peppers and Urlacher.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:52 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCohen
Quote:
Yah those people need to get laid or go outside more. BTW I think Champ's stock has dropped quite a bit with a 4 game nosedive. It's probably down to Taylor, Peppers and Urlacher.
Or you could grow a set of morals.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:05 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Yah those people need to get laid or go outside more.
brilliant response. :roll:
Old 12-11-2006, 11:12 PM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.
Default haha

haha....

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.
Komp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:33 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular
Quote:
Quote:

Oh boy, how we should all aspire be as moralistic as all the Cheifs and Raiders fans in this thread. Creating your own version of the truth about someone you don't know is apparently very morally upstanding.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:04 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Grow a set of morals? You mean crucify Merriman when it is very very likely that way more footballs players than we are willing to admit are using performance enhancers one way or the other.

You can accuse Merriman of being stupid for getting caught, but that is about it.

However, that is not what this thread is about. Jason Taylor has the better numbers and played the whole season, so he deserves it.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:49 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck
Grow a set of morals? You mean crucify Merriman when it is very very likely that way more footballs players than we are willing to admit are using performance enhancers one way or the other.

You can accuse Merriman of being stupid for getting caught, but that is about it.
That covers my thoughts perfectly. I would bet all the 'freak' athletes are on something. They just haven't been caught. It's the nature of pro sports and it isn't going to go away.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:28 AM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll take steroids, maybe I get to the NFL. :roll:
Old 12-12-2006, 04:59 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i say no. 4 games out just doesnt cut it and the addition of steroids makes his chances worse. plus i think that JT is having a better season.
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:06 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You have to admit, too, that there are some players who the the voters feel are more of a priority to receive an award than others. For example, in recent years, it's been fairly obvious who the winner of the Heisman trophy would be, and, as a result, the voters award the Maxwell Award to the player most likely to be the runner up for the Heisman. There's a priority to reward both of them.

I think that the voters are going to feel that it's likely that Merriman will win a Defensive Player of the Year award at some point in his career, probably even multiple times. Jason Taylor, meanwhile, is getting up there in age, and it's unlikely that he'll ever achieve this type of production for the rest of his career.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:50 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Peppers
Taylor
Bailey

They're the only three who should really be considered. Pep's play has been marred by the fact that he's on the field way too much since our offense can't sustain a drive. The lack of holding calls has been absolutely ridiculous to boot.

Merriman is a steroid taking rushing weakside linebacker... He shouldn't be mentioned with the aforementioned three, he's not on their tier.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:24 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If he can lead the league in sacks after missing 4 games then how can he not win it? He is one of the 3 best defensive players in the game along with Urlacher and Peppers (bailey and lewis being 4th and 5th) and is having the best season of all five of those guys.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:41 AM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5
If he can lead the league in sacks after missing 4 games then how can he not win it? He is one of the 3 best defensive players in the game along with Urlacher and Peppers (bailey and lewis being 4th and 5th) and is having the best season of all five of those guys.
You are forgetting Jason Taylor who is having a better season. I highly doubt that the NFL will give an award to a substance-abuser in the year that he was suspended. It sends the wrong message.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:48 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:

That covers my thoughts perfectly. I would bet all the 'freak' athletes are on something. They just haven't been caught. It's the nature of pro sports and it isn't going to go away.
So let's just roll over and condone it, is that what you're saying? Great...

Do you seriously realize what the ramafications of that will be? Younger generations in high school and college will see everyone's performances increase because of steroid use so they will have 1 of 2 choices.

1) Work hard, and get better the natural way, only to see someone with less talent but a better pharmacist get paid more. This person's natural abilities which would be elite on a level playing field are only noticed as average because he is not taking steroids. He gets neither the comparable numbers, the fame nor the money he would.

or

2) He sees everyone in professional sports taking steroids so he decides he has to level the playing field himself. At age 16 he starts using anabolic steroids not to truly give himself the edge, but to take away the edge that others have on him. He uses steroids through high school and college, gets drafted in the 1st round and has a Pro Bowl career. The longer this cycle continues, the more kids will see this and the younger the threshold will be to start using steroids. Do you have any idea the effect it would have on somone's body to start using steroids in their teenage years?

By giving Shawne Merriman the DPOY in the very same year he was caught and suspended for steroids, you are not only condoning steroid use, but you are rewarding it. Do you really want to do that?

To address your argument that "everyone else is doing it so why punish Merriman" I think it truly shows your age. I'm not proffessing to be a wise man, I'm only 19, but it's the same things that parents hear from their junior high and high school kids. "But Johnny's mom let's him do it!!!"

The fact of the matter is that Shawne Merriman was caught. Because we know he did it, it is imperetive that he be punished greatly for what he did. Anyone else who gets caught would receive the same punishment. But to not punish him merely because of suspicion (and likely true) that steroid use is rampant in the NFL is purely asinine. You have to punish the ones you catch. This is to set is precedence for others and to show that there should be no tolerance for steroids lest we have more kids who take Option #2. Should we have more Lyle Alzado's out there? People who die from brain cancer because of steroid use? Imagine the ramafications of there being hundreds if not thousands of kids taking Option #2. The negative side effects on those kids would be catastrophic. Jason Giambi also used HGH (allegedly) and he got a tumor (the was benign) when he was 33. If kids started using it while they were still in the early stages of life, just a year or two after puberty, the effects would be terrible.

Not just for the sake of the integrity of the sport now, but for the sake of future generations and keeping sports fun, it is imperetive that Shawne Merriman and any other football player, baseball player, track star or basketball player who is caught using steroids receive a hefty punishment.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:58 PM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

eacantdraft smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So let's just roll over and condone it, is that what you're saying? Great...

Do you seriously realize what the ramafications of that will be? Younger generations in high school and college will see everyone's performances increase because of steroid use so they will have 1 of 2 choices.

1) Work hard, and get better the natural way, only to see someone with less talent but a better pharmacist get paid more. This person's natural abilities which would be elite on a level playing field are only noticed as average because he is not taking steroids. He gets neither the comparable numbers, the fame nor the money he would.

or

2) He sees everyone in professional sports taking steroids so he decides he has to level the playing field himself. At age 16 he starts using anabolic steroids not to truly give himself the edge, but to take away the edge that others have on him. He uses steroids through high school and college, gets drafted in the 1st round and has a Pro Bowl career. The longer this cycle continues, the more kids will see this and the younger the threshold will be to start using steroids. Do you have any idea the effect it would have on somone's body to start using steroids in their teenage years?

By giving Shawne Merriman the DPOY in the very same year he was caught and suspended for steroids, you are not only condoning steroid use, but you are rewarding it. Do you really want to do that?

To address your argument that "everyone else is doing it so why punish Merriman" I think it truly shows your age. I'm not proffessing to be a wise man, I'm only 19, but it's the same things that parents hear from their junior high and high school kids. "But Johnny's mom let's him do it!!!"

The fact of the matter is that Shawne Merriman was caught. Because we know he did it, it is imperetive that he be punished greatly for what he did. Anyone else who gets caught would receive the same punishment. But to not punish him merely because of suspicion (and likely true) that steroid use is rampant in the NFL is purely asinine. You have to punish the ones you catch. This is to set is precedence for others and to show that there should be no tolerance for steroids lest we have more kids who take Option #2. Should we have more Lyle Alzado's out there? People who die from brain cancer because of steroid use? Imagine the ramafications of there being hundreds if not thousands of kids taking Option #2. The negative side effects on those kids would be catastrophic. Jason Giambi also used HGH (allegedly) and he got a tumor (the was benign) when he was 33. If kids started using it while they were still in the early stages of life, just a year or two after puberty, the effects would be terrible.

Not just for the sake of the integrity of the sport now, but for the sake of future generations and keeping sports fun, it is imperetive that Shawne Merriman and any other football player, baseball player, track star or basketball player who is caught using steroids receive a hefty punishment.
Football, unlike baseball, doesn't have a character clause in their Hall of Fame balloting. That also carries over to voting for awards. Football writers and journalists are much more liberal than their baseball counterparts when it comes to character.

LT the First may not have gotten into the Football Hall of Fame if the baseball writers were applied. Paul Hourning probably would have never gotten into the HOF.
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:50 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacantdraft
Football, unlike baseball, doesn't have a character clause in their Hall of Fame balloting. That also carries over to voting for awards. Football writers and journalists are much more liberal than their baseball counterparts when it comes to character.

LT the First may not have gotten into the Football Hall of Fame if the baseball writers were applied. Paul Hourning probably would have never gotten into the HOF.
But you still can't give someone an award if he cheated to "earn" it.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Don't condone it, but accept the reality of the situation. No one can accurately say who is on steroids and performance enhancers and who isn't. Say that Merriman isn't given the award, but Urlacher or Peppers are. Who is to say that those two aren't on anything? Urlacher is 6'4" 260-lbs and can run like linebackers much smaller than he is. Peppers is 6'6" 280-lbs and can move and run like a typical 3-4 rushbacker, except at 30-lbs larger. It's really easy to become paranoid and skeptical regarding pro sports.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:55 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Don't condone it, but accept the reality of the situation. No one can accurately say who is on steroids and performance enhancers and who isn't. Say that Merriman isn't given the award, but Urlacher or Peppers are. Who is to say that those two aren't on anything? Urlacher is 6'4" 260-lbs and can run like linebackers much smaller than he is. Peppers is 6'6" 280-lbs and can move and run like a typical 3-4 rushbacker, except at 30-lbs larger. It's really easy to become paranoid and skeptical regarding pro sports.
does it matter? one was PROVEN, the others are ASSUMPTIONS.

i would imagine that NIP would say the same thing about peppers if he'd been caught. it's absolutely silly to say that since everyone in the NFL is on something even though 99% of them have never tested positive, it doesn't matter and shouldn't apply to someone who was caught red-handed.

that's akin to saying that, since i can assume that 99% of all people have taken something that wasn't theirs, that those convicted of grand theft auto shouldn't really be listed as felons anymore.