Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Houston Texans Team Forum

Houston Texans Team Forum Discuss the Texans

Old 09-11-2007, 01:30 AM    (permalink
big daddy russ
Rookie

big daddy russ is a cocksman.big daddy russ is a cocksman.big daddy russ is a cocksman.big daddy russ is a cocksman.big daddy russ is a cocksman.

Let's bring this topic back up now that we have a game under our belts.

IMO, we still need to address the line. That's been our biggest need since the Garfield administration.

Needs:
1. OT
2. S (but maybe Boulware steps up and we don't have to worry about this)
3. RB
4. CB (will Bennett step up? Will Faggins prove that he deserves to be a starter in the NFL? Fletcher's a great nickel, but will he ever be anything else?)

On that note, here's my wish list:
1. Sam Baker, OT (I've said it several times--- I'm anything but a draft guru. But I read somewhere that Baker's a better pass-blocker while Long's more of a mauler, so I'll go with Baker.)
2. Jake Long, OT (See above)
3. Darren McFadden, RB
4. Gosder Cherilus, OT
5. Kenny Phillips, S
Old 09-16-2007, 01:57 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daddy russ View Post
Let's bring this topic back up now that we have a game under our belts.

IMO, we still need to address the line. That's been our biggest need since the Garfield administration.

Needs:
1. OT
2. S (but maybe Boulware steps up and we don't have to worry about this)
3. RB
4. CB (will Bennett step up? Will Faggins prove that he deserves to be a starter in the NFL? Fletcher's a great nickel, but will he ever be anything else?)

On that note, here's my wish list:
1. Sam Baker, OT (I've said it several times--- I'm anything but a draft guru. But I read somewhere that Baker's a better pass-blocker while Long's more of a mauler, so I'll go with Baker.)
2. Jake Long, OT (See above)
3. Darren McFadden, RB
4. Gosder Cherilus, OT
5. Kenny Phillips, S
My wish list would be

1. Kenny Phillips
2. Tommy Blake
3. Calais Cambell
4. Glen Dorsey
5. DeSean Jackson
6. Darren McFadden
7. Baker/Long

I really want to a see a DL of Mario Williams, Omobi Okoye, and Tommy Blake. That would be awesome. I'm a big Tommy Blake fan now after that UT game. He went up against a great OL and did pretty well. The play that made me a believer was when Jamaal Charles was running full speed near the goal line and Tommy Blake was standing there and caught Charles and then dropped him on his ass....By the way, thats a sweet sig.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:26 AM    (permalink
HorusKing
Rookie

HorusKing hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

My Wish list.

1. Steve Slaton - RB
2. Desean Jackson - WR
3. Terrell Thomas - CB
4. Kenny Phillips - S
5. James Davis - RB
Old 10-01-2007, 06:05 PM    (permalink
RedLionAle
Rookie

RedLionAle hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Wishlist-
1. D. McFadden RB ARK
2. J. Long OT MICH
3. S. Baker OT USC
4. K. Phillips S MIA
5. M. Jenkins CB OSU

That's the top 5, there are some others like Stewart and Jackson who'd be nice, but any of those top 5 would make me VERY happy.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:54 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We clearly need a CB, S, and RB. I think Kubes can manage without another premier receiver. Schaub had a solid game without Dre and Jones. We need a good running game though. AKA a really explosive back so Ron Dayne doesn't have to play. But our pass defense hasn't been anywhere close to go since Glenn left. There are a bunch of solid mid-late 1st round corners in the draft. A Safety would be sweet too, but Kenny Phillips is the only really great one. The rest are rather unproven as of now.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:07 PM    (permalink
energizerbunny
Veteran

energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd like a RB, maybe Stewart or Slaton. It also wouldn't hurt to add a playmaker to the secondary.
energizerbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:13 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

To be honest, Im not a fan of him but i think that Steve Slaton could do very well in Houston. I think a shiftier back like Slation would do better. I remember back to when Dominick Davis had that good year, and I think Slaton could do well to.
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:33 AM    (permalink
pswizz

I think Slaton could do good anywhere. But I have fallen in love with McFadden. With the style of runner he is he would fit right into our zone blocking scheme. Something Bush definitely would have had trouble with!
Old 10-19-2007, 09:54 PM    (permalink
Wolf123

Steve slaton will not be an impact running back at the next level. Just doesn't have the size to succeed. Ray Rice really impressed me against southern florida.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:14 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The way we have been playing any player will help us big. Injuries are killing us so its hard to see what we would need most. I'm still not on any of the OT's bandwagon so I hope we still dont go that way. DeSean Jackson, McFadden, Dorsey, Campbell, Phillips, Malcolm Jenkins, and Dan Connor would be good picks that I wouldnt mind being on the team.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:42 PM    (permalink
Texas Homer
Veteran

Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

trade down our top pick for a lower 1st and a 2nd rnder..and draft Reggie Smith and Alex Boone if available with your top 2 picks.

Use your 3rd rnd. pick on a RB
4th rnd. OL Tony Hills if available
5th rnd Saftey
Texas Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:05 AM    (permalink
BattleRedToneh

I'm loving the trade down scenerio myself. If we are picking in the 10-15 range, why not trade with someone like Dallas who has that second 1st rounder from Cleveland I believe it is..and maybe get a second if we swap 4th's or somehting to equal the value? Would we even need to obtain that 2nd rounder? I'm really digging Mendenhall and Rice right now, so a move down to the 20-25 area would be fine by me. As long one of those can be had. With our newly acquired 2nd, we could take a look at Chris Williams at LT. I'd also like a C somewheres in the 3rd-5th round range to groom behind McKinney. I like D. Rodgers-Cromartie in the 4th too, he'd help patch up that secondary of ours.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:15 PM    (permalink
Texas Homer
Veteran

Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You could prob. get C Dallas Griffin from Texas undrafted.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:21 PM    (permalink
pswizz

Here's my wishlist-
1. RB- Darren McFadden, James Stewart, Steve Slaton
2. DB- Kenny Phillips, Reggie Smith
3. WR- Desean Jackson, Malcolm Kelly
4. OT- Jake Long, Sam Baker
5. DE- Calais Campbell, Tommy Blake, Quentin Jones, Chris Long

I don't think we need to go o-line this year like we have needed to every other year. The line has seemed to come together rather nicely and it is allowing Schaub time to throw the ball. Carr just had a problem with holding onto the ball too long. I think what we need major help at safety, but with not much available there if we don't get Phillips I think we need to add another playmaker on offense. Andre Johnson proved this week that he is not always going to be open and we need someone to help keep double teams away from him, whether that be with another WR or by adding a legit running threat. We are scaring nobody with our ground game.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:38 PM    (permalink
Texas Homer
Veteran

I still think we need a Tackle. Mayber A. Boone, K.Barton, or maybe Tony Hills later on in the draft.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:31 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pswizz View Post
Here's my wishlist-
1. RB- Darren McFadden, James Stewart, Steve Slaton
2. DB- Kenny Phillips, Reggie Smith
3. WR- Desean Jackson, Malcolm Kelly
4. OT- Jake Long, Sam Baker
5. DE- Calais Campbell, Tommy Blake, Quentin Jones, Chris Long

I don't think we need to go o-line this year like we have needed to every other year. The line has seemed to come together rather nicely and it is allowing Schaub time to throw the ball. Carr just had a problem with holding onto the ball too long. I think what we need major help at safety, but with not much available there if we don't get Phillips I think we need to add another playmaker on offense. Andre Johnson proved this week that he is not always going to be open and we need someone to help keep double teams away from him, whether that be with another WR or by adding a legit running threat. We are scaring nobody with our ground game.

Honestly, it doesnt matter who we pick because anyone would help this team out. Right now I am kind of liking the idea of trading down, maybe getting a 2nd rounder back, and getting Vernon Gholston. I know, another DL but this kid seems special. A DL of Mario, Okoye, and Gholston would be awesome. If Kenny Phillips is around he might be too good to pass up though.....For the record, its Jonathan Stewart and not "James."

Last edited by jayceheathman : 12-03-2007 at 03:35 AM.
jayceheathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:53 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorusKing View Post
First I don't think that Houston will be picking in the top 10. I would like to see Houston draft a running back in the first round because Ahman Green is too injury prone or maybe a Safety.

1st RD. Steve Slaton - RB West Virginia

Do you really see Steve Slaton as a every down back
Old 12-03-2007, 02:51 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
Do you really see Steve Slaton as a every down back
I dont think he is. We need a RB but unless we lose out we "might" have a chance at DMac. We dont have the picks to trade up either. The last few games I havent been convinced on Jonathan Stewart. He hasnt had great games without Dennis Dixon in there.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Texas Homer
Veteran

Our needs:
S
CB
RB
OLB
OG
OT
DE

I hope we pick Jonathan Stewart or Kenny Phillips.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:25 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Homer View Post
Our needs:
S
CB
RB
OLB
OG
OT
DE

I hope we pick Jonathan Stewart or Kenny Phillips.
Im on the Mendenhall bandwagon. If we cant get Kenny Phillips, I want Mendenhall.

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:00 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by comahan View Post
Im on the Mendenhall bandwagon. If we cant get Kenny Phillips, I want Mendenhall.
I am now too. After yesterday, he was about the only bright spot Illinois had against a great USC defense. In a perfect draft we would some how trade back in the first round after we get Mendenhall and get Clady. It wont happen since we dont have enough fire power to get back in but I will keep dreaming.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:33 PM    (permalink
Yung Flippa
Veteran

Yung Flippa hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Yung Flippa hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

My Big Board:
1) Reshard Mendenhall
2) Kenny Phillips
3) Ryan Clady or any other OT

Baltimore: 7-4
Yung Flippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:59 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jamaal Charles.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:48 PM    (permalink
pswizz

In my perfect world, we would trade up into the draft and nab the playmaker we need at halfback in Darren McFadden. However that won't happen. I think that right now we can be competitive for another year with our halfback situation so I think that we should go secondary. However with the lack of great first round playmakers I think we might be best suited taking another pass rusher or possibly outside linebacker. I feel like our offensive line significantly got better this year simply because our quarterbacks get rid of the ball. I think if we can't get a huge playmaker on offense we need to help solidify our defense. I think we are one great safety away from that. But another pass rusher and/or OLB we could become one of the best defenses in the league within the next year or 2.