Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 11-18-2007, 05:08 PM    (permalink
Bostonsportlova
Rookie

Bostonsportlova hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default What are the Pats going to do with their top 5 pick?

It was a topic that got a lot of feedback in the other main fourm so i would like to see what actaul pats fans think. Personally I think there goning to trade down to the 15-20 area trying to get a second round pick and a first next year. This would give them a soild oppurtunity at Mike Jenkins (Replace Samuel if he leaves) Either Cherilus or Baker at Takle (Matt Light is getting older) Kenny Phillips (Harrison is getting older and reunite Merriweather) - (Very lucky if hes threre) But my guess is that they take Mike Jenkins.

Ofcourse they could stay at 5 or where ever it ends up, I say take they take McFadden - what an offense plus he brings a lot of trick plays throwing the ball and direct snaps.

So if they stay - D-Mac

or

Trade - Jenkins

What do you think?
Bostonsportlova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:20 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think maybe Ty Warren is on his way out or am I wrong? Or did he just sign an extension? If he hasn't I think they let him walk and draft Chris Long. He could stand up or put hand down I think.

If not D-mac is a possibility, Jenkins very early is also a possilbity.

I think 2 trade occur at begining of draft. Cowyboys trade up after trading away Julius Jones (unless he is gone via FA). They have 2 1st rounders. Give those two the Miami and 2009 1st rounder or a decent player that will start from the start for Dolphins. So D-mac gone.

then New Orleans Saints come knocking at Patriots door and give the Pats 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, Aaron Stecker and a future 2nd rounder for that pick to get Glen Dorsey.

The Pats then get Aaron Stecker, a 1st rounder and another 2nd rounder. They can then pick Laurinitis and in the second round they can pick with there 2nd round pick Charles Godfrey and with the Saints draft pick someone like Carl Nicks.

Laurinitis, Charles Godfrey, Carl Nicks, Aaron Stecker, another draft pick in the future.
Compared D-Mac and Charles Godfrey. Long term the 1st is better.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Last edited by bored of education : 11-21-2007 at 06:23 PM.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:25 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

But they have many outs and anything the Pats do wouldnt shock me even drafting Brian Brohm or Matt Ryan and have them under Brady's, and Josh Mac's mentorship for 3 years(I see a 3-4 year time horizon for Brady i dunno why nothign against his skils obvi). Grooming one ofthose guys and installing in their minds how the Patriots strive for perfection and those guys would be 27-28ish when it's time to hand the reigns over lol. i dunno

nothing would suprise me
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:32 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well warren did sign an extension so thats taken care of, as much as id love us to get Mcfadden, i dont see it happening with us drafting maroney a year and a half ago, plus our offense is pretty good as it is. our glaring needs are on the defensive side of the ball, linebacker or safety considering they moved merriwether to cb, or could switch him back and go to corner back. so if we keep the pick, its cause were getting Mcfadden cause BB really wants to run up the score, other wise we trade down to get multiple picks and go for defense, which as stated is much more cruiccal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:56 PM    (permalink
Bostonsportlova
Rookie

Bostonsportlova hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

After watching that LSU and Arkansas game I just wanted D-Mac even more. If the pats lose Stallworth my guess is they replace him with Chad Jackson, if Jackson plays like he was brought in to do it won't be that much of a problem. But he hasnt done much yet so the offense would be as good but obv not that worse. But Bringing in D-Mac it adds more balence to the offense and another threat - direct snaps (running and throwing the ball) Also if they get D-Mac, Maroney and McFadden will be fresh like Dillion and Maroney were last year.
Bostonsportlova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:01 PM    (permalink
davidq12

We should try to trade down to pick up a LB like Luarinatis or a Cb like Jenkins
Old 12-14-2007, 10:32 AM    (permalink
LAR27

I would love to get D-Mac, but like its been said, we have more glaring needs on the defensive side of the ball. I would love Kenny Phillips and keeping Meriweather at cornerback if Asante bolts.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:40 AM    (permalink
downthealley
Rookie

downthealley hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If we can't trade down:

I don't really like the idea of taking D-Mac, because he's not going to be utilized enough for 30 million guaranteed. I'd much rather the Patriots solidify the right side of the line, as it is the weakest part. Therefore I think that Jake Long would be the best pick, offensively. Defensively, Jenkins or Phillips would be a good picks, Laurenitis may be a bit of a reach at that point.

If the Patriots do trade down then it should be Laurenitis, Connor, or another DB.
downthealley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:43 AM    (permalink
luckyjackaubrey
Veteran

Location: South Jersey via Nantucket thru Presque Isle with future considerations
luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you can't trade down from the top you have to take the player that 5 years from now everyone would hope to have on your team. That player is McFadden. Teams change drasticallly with injuries, overnight decay in skills, free agency. I would deal with having McFadden and Maroney when the time comes. We had 2 quarterbacks awhile back and were able to deal one to start the whole 2 1st round pick stretch we have been in lately.

There is no player on the defensive side that wprojects to being a game changer. If you have a team that is so far ahead of the competition at present you need to secure a piece that would put you in a position to continue that dominance. McFadden would be that piece, ableit as a part of a completely different type of team Remember, this "dynasty" run began with a team that was centered around defence and mistake free, ball control offence. As players get older we have changed. Change is just around the corner. Brady to Moss is not a long term thing...
luckyjackaubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:03 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I say grab an OT or a middle linebacker.
I rather them go defense though.
Seau and Bruschi... good chance their BOTH gone after this year
so definitely think they should draft their.

Also... anyone have any update on A. Wilson???

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:43 AM    (permalink
luckyjackaubrey
Veteran

Location: South Jersey via Nantucket thru Presque Isle with future considerations
luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At this poiont we hold a top 10 pick, which I actually think is better. Give me Laurinaitis at LB and call it a day.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:24 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I think they trade down. That's just how they roll. Trade out of 7 into the late teens, early 20's and pick up another first next year, still get an awesome player.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:23 PM    (permalink
luckyjackaubrey
Veteran

Now I am in total agreement with you. Laurinaitis is supposedly NOT entering the draft. THere is no one I want in that spot now. Trade down once the frenzy begins for the one guy who slides a little.... I'd love to see Mcfadden fall to that pick and Jerry Jones come calling with his 2 1st rounders....
Old 01-15-2008, 01:55 PM    (permalink
Patriots16-0
Veteran

Patriots16-0 Patriots16-0 Patriots16-0 Patriots16-0 Patriots16-0

We won't trade our #7. We will get Kenny Phillips

Thanks to darnik44two for the sig

Dream Pats Draft:
1. Vernon Gholston, LB, tOSU
2. Adarious Bowman, WR, Ok St
3a. Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa
3b. Kevin Smith, RB, UCF
4. Peyton Hillis, RB, Ark
5. Jermichael Finley, TE, Texas
6. Brian Witherspoon, CB, Stillman
7. Pierre Garcon, WR, Mt Union
Patriots16-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:40 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Why on earth would we draft Kenny Phillips? Especially after drafting Brandon Merriweather last year.

It's BPA or trade down. Unless Mike Jenkins goes in and blows everyone away in the combine, I don't want to see people having the Pats take him just because he's a corner. They have proven that will take the best talent available at that spot or they will trade down. If the best player at #7 is a TE, that's who they will take.

Kenny Phillips should not be BPA at #7...

Last edited by Jay : 01-15-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Why on earth would we draft Kenny Phillips? Especially after drafting Brandon Merriweather next year.

It's BPA or trade down. Unless Mike Jenkins goes in and blows everyone away in the combine, I don't want to see people having the Pats take him just because he's a corner. They have proven that will take the best talent available at that spot or they will trade down. If the best player at #7 is a TE, that's who they will take.

Kenny Phillips should not be BPA at #7...
Cant really argue with anythign right there.
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote