Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:26 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For the big names out there like Berrian, Samuel, Trufant, Haynesworth, are these guys all locks to be resigned or released, or are there still some decisions to be made about their future...Only guys who I realistically could see go are Samuel and maybe Trufant but even those guys could go back to the same team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:26 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
How do you know about last year?
my guess its remix6
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:27 AM    (permalink
Patriots16-0
Veteran

Patriots16-0 Patriots16-0 Patriots16-0 Patriots16-0 Patriots16-0

Quote:
How do you know about last year?
Because I check this board since February 2007, but I only registered this year

Thanks to darnik44two for the sig

Dream Pats Draft:
1. Vernon Gholston, LB, tOSU
2. Adarious Bowman, WR, Ok St
3a. Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa
3b. Kevin Smith, RB, UCF
4. Peyton Hillis, RB, Ark
5. Jermichael Finley, TE, Texas
6. Brian Witherspoon, CB, Stillman
7. Pierre Garcon, WR, Mt Union
Patriots16-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:41 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I soured on Berrian. I had him on my fantasy team, so id watch him whenever i got the chance. He made some key drops at crucial times. He dropped a couple of touchdowns.

And from quick glance, he's not a great route runner. Whoever gets him will overpay for him.

As for Trufant, I don't see him fitting in with the Ravens scheme. They play a lot of zone in Seattle, almost a hybrid Cover 2. Ravens run a lot of man. Neither Samuel or Trufant are great fits. Asomougha is the right fit, but he's not going to be available. The only guy that might be available is Samuel.

And leave Gibril alone!
Old 01-30-2008, 11:39 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There was some talk that Berrian's route-running helped engineer some of Sexy Rexy's interceptions.

Still, he's developed into a good receiver and I think the Bears exercise the franchise tag on him for 2008, if a long-term deal isn't reached. I'm all but sure they want to hang onto him.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:04 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i wouldnt want either samuel or trufant...they will both want nate clements esque deals and i pary that our FO is not stupid enough to waste it on those two. as BBD said, neither would mesh well in our system, and id rather spend the money re-signing suggs and then drafting a corner at #8, one who is more suited to a man 2 man situation.

as for the WRs, I wouldnt touch bernard berrian with a ten foot pole. He is an overrated burner who runs sloppy routes and can develop a severe case of the dropsies at any given moment. I watched him a few times this year and his hands left alot to be desired. Bryant Johnson, on the other hand, is a guy I would love to pair with mark clayton as our slot reciever. I think johnson just got stuck behind fitz and boldin in arizona.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:11 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's not overreact: it's not like Berrian has stone hands.

If you want to see stone hands, watch Kenton Keith.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:18 PM    (permalink
no love
Veteran

no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.

Quote:
I just want you all to note that you want Bernard Berrian. IF he's not franchised (and I still think he will be) he's not going to come cheap.
Ofcourse not. It's FA, really who does besides aging veterans who are thought to be washed up, injury prone players and players with major character concerns. The nature of big names in FA is overpaying.

The problem with franchising a player is obviously that your team will have to make sacrifices in other areas. Committing $8 million to one player is a tough pill to swallow if he is not a centerpiece player. Although I guess the Bears really have no other playmakers outside of Berrian, Hester and Olsen...

I wonder though. Why didn't the bears just resign him this year, is he in their long term plans or could they just not get a contract done? If he is in their long term plans, then they should really just sign him for a long term contract.

It seems that the franchise tag often sours relationships and more often than not ends in the player leaving a year later via FA. The whole lets franchise him so we can trade him talk seems to HARDLY EVER happen, sure there are some exceptions, but most guys just end up leaving.
no love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Patriots16-0
Veteran

Berrian would be a great #4 WR for the Pats.

Dream Pats Draft:
3b. Kevin Smith, RB, UCF
Old 01-30-2008, 12:23 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think the key to FA is getting those underrated under the radar "JAG" types who can thrive in your system, fill holes, and come relatively cheap.

All the big names are not worth it.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:25 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
There was some talk that Berrian's route-running helped engineer some of Sexy Rexy's interceptions.

Still, he's developed into a good receiver and I think the Bears exercise the franchise tag on him for 2008, if a long-term deal isn't reached. I'm all but sure they want to hang onto him.
hes maybe worth franchising in my eyes, but not worth a long term deal. but then again, i have bias against WRs. Im usually not in favor of getting big name WRs. I just like smart route runners with good hands. As long as you have a good oline and qb, thats enough at the WR position to make it work.

In an era of limited resources, Im not a fan of investing heavy money into the WR position when its too dependent on other factors.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:29 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots16-0 View Post
Did Chad Jackson fall of the face of the earth?
Old 01-30-2008, 01:16 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Did anybody notice the play of Berrian that final month of the year?? I rarely saw any drops, he looked dominant out there point blank...he went up and caught balls in the air, I saw him make at least 3 incredible catches that last month and I think two were for tds where he kept his balance and caught it with one hand...

He has elite speed and at worst case is going to open up the underneath for the tight end, and he can catch the deep ball unlike devery henderson...I dont think he should be payed like an elite wr and frankly with the salary cap era that were in he will get paid more so for the need on a team then his overall ability...

But I could see him go to an offense with a qb who can get the ball to him, for instance in Jax I could see him put up huge numbers...If he hits the market I think he's worth the money in the right situation, he showed me all I needed to see at the end of this year with no blocking and no qb, no other wr threat, he still came up big...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:21 PM    (permalink
Patriots16-0
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
Did Chad Jackson fall of the face of the earth?
No, but if we kick Gaffney ad Caldwell out he can be our #5 WR.

Dream Pats Draft:
3b. Kevin Smith, RB, UCF
Old 01-30-2008, 01:35 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Sure, and then you can trade for Chad Johnson to be your #5.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:41 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Let's not overreact: it's not like Berrian has stone hands.

If you want to see stone hands, watch Kenton Keith.
Devery Henderson says 'hello'. :(
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:42 PM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

anyone have a list of OR a link to a site listing the upcoming UFAs? I think we had a stickied thread last year that had them all listed.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:42 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the Pats have bigger plans for Jackson next year. There is no guarantee either Stallworth or Moss will be back.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:15 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want the Saints to sign quite a few guys. I'll get into more depth about that later.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:24 PM    (permalink
BigJohn98
Pro Bowler

BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ravens fans, is T-Sizzle gunna be resigned or franchised?
BigJohn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:32 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Michael Turner to the Packers would be so awesome! I really hope Ted Thompson tries for him. I also hope we get a solid nickel like Foxworth so we can go BPA in the draft. Not much to be filled really.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:37 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Quote:
Reche Caldwell isn't on the Patriots roster ... he's with the Redskins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Devery Henderson says 'hello'. :(
And he points and laughs at Keith's stone hands.

But I do wonder where Henderson lands up. Good call bringing him up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I want the Saints to sign quite a few guys. I'll get into more depth about that later.
It seems the Saints have a mindset of trying to sign less-costly/ mid-level free agents, in addition to building through the Draft. I think it's a solid approach, assuming they continue to draft well. Then again, they did sign Brees to a big contract, so maybe they have decided to pick their spots when available.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:37 PM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.

Had the packers had the ball to pull the trigger they were offered Turner and moss last year theyd be in the super bowl.
Kid_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

I really did think Moss was going to end up in Green Bay last year. Still, I'm not sure wide receiver was anything close to the problem with the Packers in 07.

The non-Favre problem is that you can put up 30-plus on the Packers defense. It's strange, as they look good and have very good players in all three levels, their defensive line is stacked with talent who can excel in their planned rotation, but somehow it doesn't completely translate when faced with a good offense or the Bears offense.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Nitschke-Hawk
Pro Bowler

Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Ego View Post
Had the packers had the ball to pull the trigger they were offered Turner and moss last year theyd be in the super bowl.
How do you know that?

Bosanac01
Nitschke-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote