Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 12-27-2006, 08:58 AM    (permalink
tylaw24
Rookie

tylaw24 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket
Just a quick question for you Patriot fans....

How would you guys feel if you traded both of your late first round picks for the first overall pick with Detroit? You could then draft Calvin Johnson at that spot....

Just something I just thought of that might be interesting.
I wouldn't mind a trade up but it wouldn't be for a WR. Id rather them take a safety like Michael Griffin or an extremely good linebacker. The truth is though that the pats rarely make any moves in the 1st round and will usually settle for BPA. Plus it wouldn't be for Detroit's pick because the $ behind taking the #1 overall would scare the Patriots front office.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynFNxQ3b5-U
thx ^sig by cardsalltheway^
Michael Griffin #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork
the 08 Raiders will be without a doubt the best SB team ever.
tylaw24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:45 AM    (permalink
EHobbs27
Veteran

EHobbs27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

As much as I would love Calvin Johnson, I highly doubt we would trade up for him. It would cost us way to much.

Here are my updated needs for the Pats:

1.) WR- We have by far the worst WR group in the NFL. Luckily we have solid TE's.

2.) LB- With Seau wanting to come back I like the 5 man rotation of Bruschi, Seau, Vrabel, Colvin, and Banta-Cain, but we certainly need to get a young star at LB to go with those guys.

3.) LT- Matt Light has pissed me off so bad this year. The guy can not block at all and when we have a QB as valuable as Brady, we need someone who can constantly block Brady's blindside. I just simply don't trust Light anymore.

4.) CB- CB moves up to #1 or #2 if Samuel leaves, but more then likely if we can re-sign Asante, CB is really just a depth need. I like the combo of Hobbs and Samuel, but it would even be better if we added someone who can challenge Hobbs as our #2 CB moving Hobbs to a nickel CB where he is much better.

5.) S- I really don't think S is that big of a need anymore. James Sanders has played really well and is only getting better as he gets more time on the field. Unless a guy like Landry or Nelson falls to the Pats pick, I don't see us taking S in round 1.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:20 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!
ricky bobby hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Bill Belicheck is going to be our HC and GM next year. How do you feel about that?
ricky bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:53 PM    (permalink
EHobbs27
Veteran

Link??? I saw a rumor about it, but that source was trash.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:46 PM    (permalink
tylaw24
Rookie

This is the first I've heard of any rumors about him leaving. How would anyone know if he was annoyed with Kraft? his robotic answers during press conferences are the only insight that we have to his feelings towards the team and its management.

I did a quick search and there is a story posted on bostonherald.com

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/pat...ticleid=171200

It does raise an interesting point though in this section:

Quote:
It’s worth noting that Belichick’s last contract extension actually was agreed to and put in place a full year before it was announced. Given the elder Kraft’s track record of retaining his top managers since Bill Parcells departed a decade ago, it’s possible that Belichick already has been extended.

Michael Griffin #27

Quote:
Old 12-27-2006, 10:29 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!
ricky bobby hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It doesn't matter if he is under contract. It will be void if we offer him our GM position, due to the fact that it is an advancement.
ricky bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:31 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

We'll still be entitled to compensation, which to me... sounds like... three first round picks.

Not happening.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:13 AM    (permalink
tylaw24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
We'll still be entitled to compensation, which to me... sounds like... three first round picks.

Not happening.
Good point!

Michael Griffin #27

Quote:
Old 12-28-2006, 11:24 AM    (permalink
alca1992
Veteran

alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHobbs27

5.) S- I really don't think S is that big of a need anymore. James Sanders has played really well and is only getting better as he gets more time on the field. Unless a guy like Landry or Nelson falls to the Pats pick, I don't see us taking S in round 1.
come on safety has got to be higher than this. rodney will probaly be retiring at the end of 2007. we should get a safety with our last 1st round pick. then we should use our first 1st round pick and trade up and get dwayne jarret
Old 12-28-2006, 11:55 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylaw24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay

Not happening.
Good point!
Actually I don't think you would be. When is Bill's contract up anyway.
Jughead10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

If Belichick is under contract, which he is until the end of next season, then the New York Giants would be required to compensate us for his services. We got a first and a second for Bill Parcells, Belichick is worth much more at this point in his career.

Same thing goes for Scott Pioli. The only way he can take another job with someone else in any capacity is with the permission of Bob Kraft, and that's not happening without compensation. Yes, coaches can take jobs if they are a higher position, but there was a specific rule put into place that, ironically, was called the Pioli Rule which states that head coaches and team executives are not subject to the "higher position" loophole.

So it's cut and dry: while Pioli and Belichick are under contract, they are going NO WHERE without HEAVY compensation...
Old 12-29-2006, 04:55 AM    (permalink
tylaw24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alca1992
Quote:

come on safety has got to be higher than this. rodney will probaly be retiring at the end of 2007. we should get a safety with our last 1st round pick. then we should use our first 1st round pick and trade up and get dwayne jarret
How low do u think the Seahawk's pick in the draft will be? I read this on their nfl.com news page:

Quote:
Seattle has lost three straight games and is still the division winner even if it losses a fourth straight contest at Tampa Bay on Sunday at 1 p.m. ET
What happens if they lose and the Rams beat the Vikings? They'll both be 8-8. Can anyone explain this to me?

Michael Griffin #27

Quote:
Old 12-29-2006, 09:07 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Seahawks beat the Rams twice, they have the tiebreaker.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:11 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

You know, I was thinking about this today, I am starting to see Safety as a bigger need than corner, because if we draft a Griffen/Landry/Nelson, we can move Eugene Wilson back to corner where he is less likely to get hurt. He may not be elite, but he'll be a nickel corner at worst, and would form a solid rotation...
Old 12-29-2006, 11:02 AM    (permalink
EHobbs27
Veteran

Safety is not a bigger need then CB. Even if Asante stays, we need a lot of CB depth where as with S you have Wilson, Harrison, Sanders, and Hawkins. At CB we have Samuel and Hobbs who may be better suited as a nickel CB and we have Chad Scott who is old and Randall Cool who can't stay healthy.

Many Pats fans have brought up the idea of Wilson at CB, but I'm not sure Belichick will permanently make the switch. Come draft day I can see us taking a DB in round one, but my guess is it will be a CB or a tweener between a S/CB. I like James Sanders as our future at SS and Eugene at FS.

I hope a guy like Leon Hall or Darrelle Revis falls, but I certainly will settle for a guy like an Eric Weddle, Antoine Cason, or a Fred Bennett.

My new dream mock right now for the Pats looks like this:

1.) Levi Brown-LT-Penn St.
1.) David Harris-ILB-Michigan
2.) Johnnie Lee Higgins-WR-UTEP
3.) David Irons-CB-Auburn

or

1.) Darrelle Revis-CB-Pittsburgh
1.) Dwayne Bowe-WR-LSU
2.) Anthony Waters-ILB-Clemson
3.) Ryan Harris-LT-Notre Dame
Old 12-29-2006, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would like one of these

1- Laron Landry, FS, LSU (I believe him or Nelson will fall)
1- Lamar Woodley, DE/OLB, Michigan (Many are giving him a rd. 2 grade)
2- Robert Meachum, WR, Tennessee
3- James Marten, OT, BC

OR

1- Darrell Revis, CB, Pitt
1- Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU
2- David Harris, LB, Michigan
3- Aaron Rouse, SS, VT

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:28 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
My new dream mock right now for the Pats looks like this:

1.) Levi Brown-LT-Penn St.
1.) David Harris-ILB-Michigan
2.) Johnnie Lee Higgins-WR-UTEP
3.) David Irons-CB-Auburn
What can I say, your dream mock is my nightmare. You're drafting all of those guys way too high, except Brown. Harris might be worth a first but should be left for us in the second, Higgins is probably a third or fourth rounder because he only fits into a couple of schemes (including ours) and Irons is overrated because he's Kenny's brother.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:53 PM    (permalink
EHobbs27
Veteran

I think a lot will change come draft day. I feel Harris has done enough this year to warrant a first round pick. He is going to be dominant inside a 3-4 defense. Johnnie Lee Higgins is going to be a steal for a team. He is perfect in our system and I wouldn't be suprised if he isn't there for us after the combine where he will rank in the top 3 or 4 time wise in the 40. That is a legit reason for Irons being a bust. :D I watched him in many games this year including the game against South Carolina where he shut down Sidney Rice.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:39 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

The reason I say safety is a bigger priority than corner is because we can move Eugene Wilson back to corner. Besides that, most of the safetys have the ability to move up to corner, like Reggie Nelson, Michael Griffen and Brandon Merriweather. I think having Wilson at corner may be better for his body, then again, he may be a bad corner. I don't know, not of the corner's really jump out at me like the safetys...
Old 12-30-2006, 09:44 AM    (permalink
EHobbs27
Veteran

I hear you. If Antoine Cason declares then I like the CB's a lot. Both positions are very strong in this years draft and I do believe we will get either a CB or a S in round one. For Safties I like Reggie Nelson the best, but he will be a borderline top 10 pick, I like Michael Griffin, but he isn't suited to move to CB like the other safties are. Brandon Meriweather is probably the best cover saftey, but he does have character questions. I like Eric Weddle a lot though because he can play CB or S.

For CB's I like Leon Hall and Darrelle Revis, but both look like they will be gone. I like Antoine Cason and Fred Bennett.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:11 PM    (permalink
alca1992
Veteran

alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
The reason I say safety is a bigger priority than corner is because we can move Eugene Wilson back to corner. Besides that, most of the safetys have the ability to move up to corner, like Reggie Nelson, Michael Griffen and Brandon Merriweather. I think having Wilson at corner may be better for his body, then again, he may be a bad corner. I don't know, not of the corner's really jump out at me like the safetys...
i agree :D
Old 12-30-2006, 10:36 PM    (permalink
kennyb
Rookie

kennyb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kennyb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kennyb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kennyb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kennyb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kennyb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kennyb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kennyb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kennyb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kennyb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kennyb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Levi Brown is too slow to play LT, he'd be a definite DOWNGRADE from Light. So that would be pointless.

Harris is a good ILB but he's too slow and stiff in coverage, from what I've seen / heard. He's ranked about a 3rd/4th rounder. Don't think it would make sense to reach that badly.

I don't see WR as a huge need. There's no guarantee that drafted players are better than the ones we got. I think they're serviceable...especially if Jackson starts playing more.

CB is a huge need. Samuel probably leaves. Safety is a need too. Could use an ILB like Patrick Willis or Desmond Bishop or a DE/OLB like Anthony Spencer.

So many WRs are busts, I think it's a huge risk to take one high.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:42 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Yeah, I'm not sure about Levi playing on the left, either. I don't think we would draft a rookie OT to guard Brady's blindside. Light has a huge deal and I'm not so sure we'd cut him with that much money to lose, but if we did, our new left tackle would most likely be a free agent pickup. Leonard Davis is the best free agent and there isn't much after him, so with that as the best option I think we might see Light back on the left in '07.

Another option could be to move Logan Mankins to LT, Matt Light to RT, and then find a new LG. Todd Steussie, maybe? I wouldn't really want Belichick to start switching around everyone's position on the line, though.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:12 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Alright, I just got done with a mock offseason. The draft includes compensatory picks and is very weird, especially with how I addressed the WR position. Take a look and tell me what you think.

Re-signed Free Agents:

Eric Alexander LB
Tully Banta-Cain LB
Heath Evans FB
Larry Izzo LB
Corey Mays LB
Junior Seau LB
Mike Wright DL

Left As Free Agents:

Rashad Baker S
Wesley Britt OT
Troy Brown WR (Retired)
Don Davis LB (Retired)
Barry Gardner LB
Randall Gay CB
Daniel Graham TE
Patrick Pass FB
Asante Samuel CB
Gemara Williams CB
Billy Yates OG

Free Agents Signed:

Travis Taylor WR
Fred Wakefield TE
Antwan Peek DE
Terdell Sands DT
Orlando Huff LB

Draft Picks: *New England receives two fifth round compensatory picks for last year's free agency departures*

1. (f/SEA) Patrick Willis, ILB/Ole Miss
1. Daymeion Hughes, CB/California
2. Joe Staley, OT/Central Michigan
3. Adam Carriker, DE/Nebraska
4. Sabby Piscitelli, S/Oregon State
5. Pick traded to OAK for WR Doug Gabriel
5. (comp.) Daniel Sepulvea, P/Baylor
5. (comp.) Jay Moore, DE/Nebraska
6. Brandon Myles, WR/West Virginia
7. (f/CLE) Ryan Moore, WR/Miami (FL)
7. (f/ARI) Chris Davis, WR/Florida State
7. (f/PIT) Steve Breaston, WR/Michigan
7. Justin Holland, WR/Louisiana Tech
Old 12-31-2006, 10:04 AM    (permalink
EHobbs27
Veteran

Quote:
Harris is a good ILB but he's too slow and stiff in coverage, from what I've seen / heard. He's ranked about a 3rd/4th rounder. Don't think it would make sense to reach that badly.
Harris has played very well this past season and has definately caught the eyes of many scouts. He has perfect size for a 3-4 defense and I think he will test well at the combine. I definately think right now he is a borderline 1st rounder, but to say he is a 3rd or 4th rounder is just crazy right now.

Quote:
I don't see WR as a huge need. There's no guarantee that drafted players are better than the ones we got. I think they're serviceable...especially if Jackson starts playing more.
WR NOT A HUGE NEED???? We have the worst WR core in the NFL. Reche has played decent, but come on now, he is nowhere close to being a #1 WR in this league. Who knows right now with Chad. I think he will only get better, but I also don't want to wait many more years with Brady in his prime. Troy will retire, and I don't know if Bam Childress or Kelvin Kight can get the job done. We need a WR badly and unless you guys want to settle for a Drew Bennett on FA, we should look to the draft for one. In the past few years there have been a decent amount of first round WR's that have played well.

Quote:
CB is a huge need. Samuel probably leaves. Safety is a need too. Could use an ILB like Patrick Willis or Desmond Bishop or a DE/OLB like Anthony Spencer.
I agree CB is a need, but safety is not a need. Artell is 29, Eugene is young, and James Sanders is getting better and better as he gets more time. We will be fine at S.

As for your mock Raven, I like P-Willie, but I'm not liking the Daymeion Hughes pick. He is a good CB, but he is much better suited for a Cover-2 defense. Also if we are going to lose 2 of our bigger CB's (Cool and Samuel), I'm pretty sure we would draft at least 2 CB's.