Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Washington Redskins Team Forum

Washington Redskins Team Forum Discuss the Skins

Old 02-14-2008, 10:10 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Redskins Updated Offseason Needs

Here is the order of where I see the Skins needs now that our coaching staff is taking shape.

1. Defensive End
2. Cornerback
3. Wide Receiver
4. Offensive Guard
5. Linebacker
6. Offensive Tackle
7a. Defensive Tackle
7b. Strong Safety

1. Defensive End - Andre Carter came into form this year and made his presence known coming off the edge but he is going to need more help to avoid double teams going forward. The Redskins have a promising young situational pass rusher in Chris Wilson but they don't have anyone in the wings to take over for the quickly aging and deteriorating Phillip Daniels. Daniels still has some production value left in the tank but he's just about lost his ability to get pressure on the quarterback which has severely hurt our pass defense.

2. Cornerback - Greg Blache has always been adamant about having strong cornerbacks as a staple to a quality defense. When healthy the starting 3 (Springs, Smoot, and Rogers) are very strong but theres is absolutely no quality depth after that. It is also possible that Springs could be a cap casualty or possibly traded this offseason and there is a risk that Carlos could struggle coming back off his injury last season.

3. Wide Receiver - The skins have solid slot and flanker receivers with Moss and Randle El but theres no one on the roster that fits the bill for a split end. The Skins need to look for a possession style receiver with soft hands who doesn't mind going across the middle and taking a hit. It is more than likely that the Redskins will look to get this done via trade or free agency. Don't be surprised to see them make a serious run at Chad Johnson or Roy Williams.

4. Offensive Guard - Injuries the past couple seasons have really shown the Redskins lack of depth on the offensive line. I have guard listed higher than tackle because our starting two guards are respectively 33 and 34 years old next season and our number 1 backup is a defensive tackle who played his first time at guard this past season. In a WCO look for us to go after a VERY athletic guard in the 305-310 range.

5. Outside Linebacker - The skins suffered 2 terrible injuries on defense this past season. The first was at CB with Rogers and then they lost a young stud LB (McIntosh) with a torn ACL and MCL around week 10. There is potential that he could be ready for the 08/09 season but I would be surprised to see him in action before week 6. The skins are set at MLB with London Fletcher and HB Blades but they need another outside guy as depth and an eventual replacement for Marcus Washington.

6. Offensive Tackle - If Jansen is let go for cap reasons than this need immediately moves up to the 2 spot. Potentially even the 1 spot. I think though that Jansen will renegotiate a new contract and stick around a few more years before retiring. Stephon Heyer had a roller coaster rookie year while Jansen was injured and it looks like he is no more than a solid career backup in the NFL. Even if Jansen works out a new contract I am still worried that with the multitude of his injuries and his age that he will slowly start taking a few steps back in productivity.

7a. Defensive Tackle - Cornelius Griffin is still a stud and Anthony Montgomery has been an absolute draft steal. I also really like Gholston in terms of depth but Blache has made it public that he would like to bring in a 3 technique penetrating player to groom as Griffins replacement.

7b. Strong Safety - The skins lost one of the best defenders in the NFL this year to a tragic death. Laron Landry slid over into Sean Taylors position at FS and showed that he is a more dominant player and more comfortable in that role. Reed Doughty was a hidden gem at SS, especially in the box but I'm not sold that he will be able to keep up playing at that level. The staff seems to like him and until he proves otherwise he deserves the starting spot. Adding depth at the position is more than likely a luxury given our other needs but it isnt out of hte question.

Last edited by DiG : 02-14-2008 at 10:13 AM.
DiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:10 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

David Macklin isn't good depth at corner? Either way, the Redskins should build up some young depth.

Also, did guard Rick DeMulling see any action with the Redskins last year? Maybe they consider bringing him back as a back-up they are confident in.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:48 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
David Macklin isn't good depth at corner? Either way, the Redskins should build up some young depth.
Macklin saw playing time in only 6 games and that was in the dime spot. i think he finished the year with like 6 tackles.

Quote:
Also, did guard Rick DeMulling see any action with the Redskins last year? Maybe they consider bringing him back as a back-up they are confident in.
he saw limited action in the last 3 games of the year. very limited action. if they had any confidence in him he would have seen a lot more time because there was plenty of opportunity.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:27 PM    (permalink
703SKINS202
Pro Bowler

703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

great analysis dirty, its sad how bad our depth is on the defensive side of the ball... we pretty much need every posistion except for fs and mlb on defense right now and our offensive depth inst much better.. although it would be nice to get chad or roy i think its best to keep all our picks and build through the draft and take best player available pretty much in all rounds because we have that many holes on this team

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao
703SKINS202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:58 PM    (permalink
boisefan
Rookie

boisefan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Cornerback, Outside Linebacker, ANYTHING on the O-Line.
I would like to see a WR, but either in free agency or later in the draft, we need to address our defence and both lines first.
boisefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:46 PM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

Build the team from the lines out. I'd like to see Roy Williams come here though.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:53 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs...68/1005/SPORTS

Re: cornerback, recovering Carlos Rogers is very likely to miss the start of the season and maybe all of September.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:54 PM    (permalink
boisefan
Rookie

boisefan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
http://washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs...68/1005/SPORTS

Re: cornerback, recovering Carlos Rogers is very likely to miss the start of the season and maybe all of September.
What does everyone think of our corner situation? If Springs leaves, we have NO depth at cornerback, but if he stays, do we pick up another corner in free agency or the draft? or at all?

This isn't the best news I have heard all year...
boisefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:31 PM    (permalink
Canadian_draft_fan
Veteran

Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan View Post
What does everyone think of our corner situation? If Springs leaves, we have NO depth at cornerback, but if he stays, do we pick up another corner in free agency or the draft? or at all?

I'm not sure Springs is gone now:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...T2008021102877

Blanche wants him re-signed, but we'll see what happens. A lot depends on FA. If the Skins get a DE in FA than I could easily see the Skins spending an early pick on a CB (someone to groom when Springs is gone in a year or two).
Old 02-16-2008, 09:08 PM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

We really need a CB regardless if Springs stays or not. He should be leaving soon, and Carlos will probably be out for a while.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:09 PM    (permalink
703SKINS202
Pro Bowler

703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan View Post

i'm not too thrilled about it at all... your right and even if springs does stay we stay lack depth and if he leaves then we are really gonna lack a true #1 cb. smoot played pretty good this year but rogers wont be back for a while next year and he really is a #2 at best along with smoot and then after that there is no quality at all at the posisition... depending of how fa goes we definetly need to adress that posistion early on in the draft

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao
703SKINS202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:21 AM    (permalink
treyskins
Rookie

treyskins is a cocksman.treyskins is a cocksman.treyskins is a cocksman.

Well, i lean towards what dirtythirty wants more than our g.m. snyderatto said in radio interview.
But i know who is calling the shots.

I dont expect the skins to take a d.e. on day one.
With little in the way of cap space i dont think it was a good idea to change to w.c.o. as we will need to spend to give zorn what he wants at the expense of the defense.

FREE AGENCY;
with the lack of cash i would want to see us land a d.t.,a w.r. ,a strong safety to battle doughty and keep q.b. todd collins.
DRAFT;
would have liked
round 1= a d.e. like merling
round 2=c.b. as not only is springs old and rogers injured BUT smoot never stays 100% healthy.
round 3=offensive guard, preferably left side.
round 5=offensive guard that can play center.
round 6=B.P.A. from either kicker or punter.
Dont want to see us draft another q.b. like palmer when there is hollenbach.Draft a q.b. another year when we know how campbell is progressing.Or not.
round 7=special teams guy,maybe a kick/punt returner as rock cartwright is looking gone.
Dont use a draft pick this year on a back-up F.B. look at the undrafted guys.
Manuel white and nemo haven't worked for us and this is something they could look at in future years.
treyskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:26 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

i have always fully expected rogers to miss the first 4 or so weeks of the season. i think that springs will resign as he and blache have a good relationship and hes not going to get paid any more anywhere else at his age more than likely. he has very strong ties with other guys on this team and hes always said he doesnt want to move his family. even if he stays, cb is still a big area of concern and needs to be addressed at some point.

in a similar situation i dont expect rocky to be ready by week 5 or 6 either.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:28 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

here are some highlights from cerratos "offseason wish list" on redskins.com

"A big wide receiver, a cornerback and versatile offensive and defensive linemen top the Redskins' off-season wish list.

Executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato outlined the Redskins' needs in an interview with Redskins Radio's Larry Michael and Bram Weinstein on Feb. 15.

The Redskins' offense have played without a tall, rangy wide receiver for several years. With head coach Jim Zorn installing the West Coast offense this year, it's thought that a big receiver is needed to run specific routes in that scheme.

Cornerback has become a need position due to Carlos Rogers's knee ligament surgery last November. Rogers is expected to be full-go by September or October, according to director of sports medicine Bubba Tyer.

Said Cerrato: "Depending on Carlos, we'll probably have to look to the draft and get a corner."

Cerrato also pointed to the need for an interior defensive lineman "who has some pass-rushing ability."

Said Cerrato: "Everybody talks about how you need a pass-rushing left end, but Andre Carter had 10.5 sacks from the right side, and from the left side Marcus and Chris Wilson had nine sacks. So to add some more pass rush up the middle would be something we'd look at."

Cerrato said the prototype for this type of defensive lineman would be the New York Giants' Justin Tuck, who had 10 sacks last season alternating at end and tackle.

Cerrato added the team would like to add another young defensive end to develop, as well as improve depth at linebacker and safety.

The Redskins could also look to bring in a "swing offensive lineman" who can play center/guard or tackle/guard.

"You have to be a versatile guy," Cerrato said.

A backup fullback to Mike Sellers is also a need because the West Coast offense requires more depth at fullback, Cerrato said.

Currently, the Redskins have Nehemiah Broughton as the only other fullback on the roster behind Sellers. Broughton is coming off a knee injury suffered last offseason. "

With all that in mind I wouldn't be surprised to see a WR through FA or trade and then something along these lines in the draft:

1. Dominique Rodgers Cromartie
2. Heath Benedict
3. Kendall Langford/Johny Dingle
5. Owen Schmitt/Peyton Hills

Last edited by DiG : 02-19-2008 at 07:38 PM.
DiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:39 PM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Looks good Dirty.

I hope Schmitt is there by the 5th, I doubt it though.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:57 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting on how he's prioritized an interior pressure guy. I thought that the emergence of Montgomery, plus Golston from last year, along with Griffin, would be enough to push the focus on DT back a bit, but maybe

A) They aren't planning on keeping Griffin (which I doubt)

b) They don't buy Golston developing much (which I can buy ... some thought he was maxed out a bit coming out, which was part of the reason why he dropped)

As for the rest, none of the other needs surprise me. I think the best route to go for WR is to find one in FA. For all the talk about Chad Johnson, it's been a tad surprising that there's been little to no talk on Seattle FA DJ Hackett, who would seem to fit the bill of what's needed.

I'm not sure if there's a Justin Tuck type in this draft. Granted, no one knew that Justin Tuck would develop as such when he came out (that is, performa as he has in the interior). The most likely might be someone like Jason Jones, or maybe even a Johnny Dingle. I'll be curious if they pursue a DT and a DE, or they pursue a guy that can play both.

As it currently stands, going CB in the first round still makes the most sense. Some value is bound to be there, whereas at the other spots, only WR stands out as a position where the value there might make sense. Ideally, the Redskins would find an ability to trade down somewhere, either in the first or the 2nd, to pick up an additional pick or two.

Considering Cerrato's comments, it does make me wonder if a guy like Kentwan Balmer is there at the first, could be garner some consideration? If they can land a WR in FA, this would be a draft that I would suggest makes a ton of sense for the Redskins based upon the stated comments:

1. CB Mike Jenkins (or whomever is here)
2. DT Dre Moore
3. DE Jason Jones (as close a guy to Justin Tuck as I can predict - granted, no one really predicted Tuck)
5. OL Drew Radovich (I'd rather pencil in Chad Rinehart, but I don't think he falls this far, not sure if Radovich would either)
6. WR Edward Williams
7. FB Jerome Felton

I would like to see them add a young runner, though. Someone like Kalvin McRae in day 2 perhaps may make more sense than a WR if they land a WR in FA.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:59 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

toonster,

i mostly just brought in the highlights of the article but cerrato actually does point out a few FA wrs that he thinks would fit the bill. he first talks about Bryant Johnson and Bernard Berrian as being the best fits then he also briefly does mention Hackett as a guy who has some experience with Zorn.

i personally dont think that they will look to draft both a DT and a DE. i get the impression that they would ideally want a young guy with the versatility to play both positions if necessary. for me dingle is the most intriguing guy in the draft with this mold but others are jones and langford. griffin is a penetrating style defensive tackle but neither montgomery or gholston really fit that mold though both have progressed well, especially montgomery. ultimately my thoughts are that the skins want someone who can play most downs on the outside but situationally can move inside when they want to put Chris Wilson on the edge to really get a heavy pass rush without giving up much in run defense. i think the skins want to try and get wilson more snaps but he is only a situational pass rusher.