Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:28 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Antwan Odom to Cincy

According to Bengals.com Antwan Odom has signed a five year deal that is supposedly in the $30 Million range with $11 million guaranteed.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6670

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:34 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gar blimey.

I know the Jaguars have already been really active, but I WANTED ODOM.
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:10 PM    (permalink
SaintsFanForLife
Pro Bowler

SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Good move by Cincy they need all the help they can get on D.

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT
SaintsFanForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:42 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think I'd take Odom over Justin Smith, so yes, I like this move. This move is also quite telling as I think it screams 4-3 loud and clear, moreso than Dewayne Robertson would have. Odom isn't really athletic enough to play 3-4 OLB, IMO, and at 270ish, he'd be on the small side for 3-4 DE. Geathers and Odom could be a solid end pair, although they still need an interior pressure guy for the 4-3. It's not impossible that Jonathan Fanene is that guy, but I don't think they can go into the year depending on that.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:31 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn it.....
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:55 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice. Simply had to be addressed. He's a better fit for what we need right now than Smith was. Hopefully we add a DT and bring some pressure on the QB, easily our biggest problem.

I still would've liked to grab ahold of Robertson... Then we'd have a half decent Dline for once. I'd think right now this means hopefully Ellis/Dorsey in the first then a LB in the second.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:20 PM    (permalink
Cashmoney
Pro Bowler

Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.

Reinfeldt is one hundred percent pure monkey anus. I mean, can we at least resign our guys if we aren't going to be active in the FA market? We only have 6 draft picks to fill our holes, but we do have a ton of cap space. Do something Reinfeldt, anything!
Cashmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:22 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashmoneydrew View Post
Reinfeldt is one hundred percent pure monkey anus. I mean, can we at least resign our guys if we aren't going to be active in the FA market? We only have 6 draft picks to fill our holes, but we do have a ton of cap space. Do something Reinfeldt, anything!
What's your take on Odom? I was curious as to why you guys didn't re-sign him.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:26 PM    (permalink
indyfan1985
Veteran

indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
Well being in the same division, the Colts see plenty of Odom, and I gotta tell ya, he is not worth that kinda money. Haynesworth and Vandenbosh made him good last year. I think the Titans were smart to not sign him to that kind of deal. But they do now need another DE opposite Vandenbosh.

indyfan1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:26 PM    (permalink
Cashmoney
Pro Bowler

Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.

Quote:
I really thought he was coming into his own this year and living up to his potential, but I guess management didn't feel like overpaying for him or they felt he was succesful because of Haynesworth and Vanden Bosch. Either way they found him expendable I guess.
Cashmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:27 PM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.

I think this is a great [albeit expensive] pickup by Cincy......Tennessee is going to miss Odom.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.
Komp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:37 PM    (permalink
zoinks
Rookie

zoinks hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Some background on Odom....

Odom underperformed as a rookie, in large part to an undiagnosed sleep apnea problem that left him constantly fatigued.

He had surgery to treat the apnea, and was ready to play the following year, only to have his sister die unexpectedly just before training camp, from the same sleep apnea condition that had been so debilitating for Antwan. Once he arrived in camp, Odom had a monster preseason, racking up several sacks and looking like an absolutely dominant force. But once the season started, he basically disappeared; other than a couple of fumble returns for TD's, Odom was largely invisible for most of the season.

Odom had another strong showing in preseason 2006, but sustained some sort of knee dislocation during preseason, which sidelined him for several games. He came back and fought through the injury for a few games, but ended up re-injuring the knee, and finished the season on IR.

2007 was the first time we got to see Odom at full strength over the course of a full season.....and he was good. There is some debate as to how much of his success was due to the presence of Albert Haynesworth and Kyle VandenBosch, but Odom proved to be quite effective, and was a constant problem for opposing QB's. (Odom was the one who ultimately ended Matt Schaub's season with a separated shoulder)

On the whole, Titans fans are pretty disappointed to lose him. We feel like we waited four years for Antwan to live up to his potential...and now that he's finally started to blossom, he's out the door. Not that we resent him or blame him for following the money.....it's just disappointing.

I think Bengals fans will like the guy; however, it remains to be seen whether his 8 sacks this year were due to his own talent, or a byproduct of playing alongside the most dominant DT-DE tandem in the league this year. I wish the guy nothing but the best.
zoinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:37 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

The potential trade for Robertson would have pushed Cincy towards a DE in the first... so with that trade off, and Odom signed to play opposite Geathers, I guess they've got to be looking at Ellis or a trade up for Dorsey.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:55 AM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

great sign my cin. This helps fill the loss of Smith on D...Bengals defense is really looking good next year.

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:04 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I said this in the other thread. I think this may be the best signing of the offseason. Money is big but not absurdly large like some of the other contracts. It matches a very obvious need for the Bengals and I think Odom might have been the best DE/pass rusher available on the market. Seems like a high chracter guy as well, which certainly doesn't hurt when mixing him into the Bengals locker room.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:05 AM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

can he play 3-4 ?
just wondering
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:38 AM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i dont think he can if im being honest, he is not athletic enough to be an OLB and probably not big enough to be a DE so i dont know where he will fit
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:47 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
can he play 3-4 ?
just wondering
From what I've read into, we're pretty much going to stay base 4-3 now with some 3-4 looks. He's said he's comfortable dropping into coverage from time to time.

Thanks for the info fellas (Zoinks especially), seems fair enough.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:32 PM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

kmartin575 needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Nice. Simply had to be addressed. He's a better fit for what we need right now than Smith was. Hopefully we add a DT and bring some pressure on the QB, easily our biggest problem.

I still would've liked to grab ahold of Robertson... Then we'd have a half decent Dline for once. I'd think right now this means hopefully Ellis/Dorsey in the first then a LB in the second.
I think my Chiefs would be happy to entertain trade offers with the Bengals for our #5 pick.
kmartin575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:35 PM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

kmartin575 needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rod View Post
The potential trade for Robertson would have pushed Cincy towards a DE in the first... so with that trade off, and Odom signed to play opposite Geathers, I guess they've got to be looking at Ellis or a trade up for Dorsey.
Please trade up with the Chiefs, please. We really, really need that extra pick.
kmartin575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:48 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

No chance the Bengals trade up... None.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:53 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe he's the antithesis of Justin Smith. I thought JS was good at getting to the QB, but maybe I was wrong. What I'm sure of is Odom is not the run stuffer Smith is. Some people seem to think he's strong in that area, I disagree.

Odom can rush the passer. But he's not near the top of the pass rusher list, and he's been very inconsistent through his career, even when healthy. I think it's possible he's finally coming into his own, but there's still questions about him.

The money may be a bit high, but not outrageous considering how FA has become. He could help the Bengals if he turns out to be the guy they hope he is. I don't think he is that hard for the Titans to replace.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote