Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Baltimore Ravens Team Forum

Baltimore Ravens Team Forum Discuss the Ravens

Old 03-13-2008, 11:35 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Full Mock

1. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB Tenn St.. This strays a little from our usually BPA strategy, but it certainly fills a need. McKelvin and Cromartie are neck in neck to me. Both have return ability and are good with the ball in their hands. But Cromartie has the size and length that are ideal in corners nowadays. I was a big fan of Fred Bennett last year who was pretty similar to Cromartie physically and he was great his first year in Houston. And if Cromartie is anything like his cousin, we've got ourselves a player. Obviously McKelvin would be another option, and I also think Ozzie will take a look at the Trevor Pryce clone in Phillip Merling.

2. Chris Johnson RB ECU. Yes, at first glimpse it seems very ridiculous. Right now, Johnson has firmly entrenched himself as a 2nd rounder, and he may get some consideration in the first, although I don’t see more than 4 backs going then. It’s a premium pick to invest in a backup, but the two headed rushing attack is becoming increasingly popular and effective. Johnson is a completely different runner compared to McGahee and would be a big play threat out of the backfield that we desperately needed at times last year. He could double as a slot receiver as well a la Reggie Bush. Musa isn’t coming back and Daniels has been a bust thus far.

*I heavily considered defensive line, but there wasn’t anyone really worth it there. Trevor Laws is my favorite prospect in the late 2nd early 1st range, but he doesn’t fit our scheme. Pat Sims is a huge risk and isn’t our type of passionate player. I had written in Red Bryant here before but I don’t like the value there. He could easily be the pick, but the sudden idea of Chris Johnson just was too much to overcome.

3. Jonathan Goff ILB Vanderbilt. A seemingly born Raven, Goff possesses the toughness
and passion our FO loves. He’s got great triangle numbers, which surprised me because I always thought he was a kind of big time run stuffer a la Ed Hartwell. Yes we just resigned Nick Greisen, but he’s for sure not in future plans, and Ray needs a protégé.

4. Kirk Barton T/G OSU. I was tempted to go Lance Leggett here as I’m a huge fan of his, but I feel like that other receiving option is filled by the versatility of Chris Johnson. Barton is a player who will unfortunately for him drop far on draft day due to a significant lack of athleticism. After the 1st 3 rounds, OTs come off the board much slower, as well as OG’s. Runs on quality OL are made early, leaving Barton available in the early 6th. A very poor man’s Marshall Yanda. His versatility is needed up front.

4(comp). Kendall Langford DE Hampton. I had Letroy Guion penciled in here, but I don’t like how his game translates to a 3-4. He reminds me too much of Travis Johnson, who I’ve seen a lot of as a Houstonian. While Johnson is an ideal NT in the 43, he’s very poor in a 34. Langford is a very large player who is not quick enough to play outside in a 43, but is strong enough to hold it down at the 5 technique. He’s got the toughness and ability to make the jump in competition.

7. Derrick Lokey NT UT. I had to get one of my Texas players in there. Lokey topped the team in bench press at 515 pounds and anyone who watched Texas knows he’s the difference maker on the line. In the 8 games he played his junior year, opponents averaged something like 2.6 yards per rush. He’s limited physically but I feel he can learn a lot from Kelly Gregg, who’s built similarly. He’s a tough, hard worker, and is very unselfish.

*I have a hunch Bryan Mattison DE Iowa will be brought in as a FA.

Last edited by America : 03-31-2008 at 03:03 PM.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:07 AM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

i like the mock
only thing i got to say is Kirk Barton wont make it to the 6th
he had one amazing proday bench 34 time ran a 4.95
also had a good year hes a 3rd-4th round talent
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:29 AM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
i like the mock
only thing i got to say is Kirk Barton wont make it to the 6th
he had one amazing proday bench 34 time ran a 4.95
also had a good year hes a 3rd-4th round talent
Thanks, I didn't know he had that good of a workout. I'll change that. Shannon Tevega (G UCLA) and Corey Clark(T/G AtM) are two lower round guys who I've seen a lot of. Tevega will be a 4 year starter and Clark a 3 year at RT. Both are battle tested in Big conferences.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:38 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i dont like the chris johnson pick, id rahter jamaal charles there if you are going to give us a RB...he has blistering speed as well, but he is a much more complete back then johnson...however, id love to take someoen like calais campbell there, becuase i think that he will be available there, offers good value, and is a much bigger need. However, i like the RB pick, i just hope its not johnson, who screams michael bennet to me. Go jamaal charles there and this draft is golden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:27 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
i dont like the chris johnson pick, id rahter jamaal charles there if you are going to give us a RB...he has blistering speed as well, but he is a much more complete back then johnson...however, id love to take someoen like calais campbell there, becuase i think that he will be available there, offers good value, and is a much bigger need. However, i like the RB pick, i just hope its not johnson, who screams michael bennet to me. Go jamaal charles there and this draft is golden.
I had that urge, but I don't know how good of a value it would be. I always have to resist taking all UT guys, so I try to put my longhorn homerism aside.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:26 AM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would be very happy with this mock, I love DRC and I wouldnt mind taking him so high. Chris Johnson is a great change of pace type back and he would really do well in 4th quaters. Goff would be a great pick. Harbaugh wants to keep Balitmore known as a hard hitting tough team, and bring aggresive and talented players like Goff in will only make things better. While I dont know much about Langford what you have posted there sounds good enough from the 4th round. I would love Lokey in the 7th, he could really learn alot from Gregg and could maybe be part of a rotation until Gregg slows down. I personally don't mind not taking a QB in the whole draft, I think Troy Smith showed enough to be given atleast 1 shot, and that chance should be in 08. If he can't be our future, then in the 09 draft QB is a must.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:25 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreBlackByrdz View Post
I would be very happy with this mock, I love DRC and I wouldnt mind taking him so high. Chris Johnson is a great change of pace type back and he would really do well in 4th quaters. Goff would be a great pick. Harbaugh wants to keep Balitmore known as a hard hitting tough team, and bring aggresive and talented players like Goff in will only make things better. While I dont know much about Langford what you have posted there sounds good enough from the 4th round. I would love Lokey in the 7th, he could really learn alot from Gregg and could maybe be part of a rotation until Gregg slows down. I personally don't mind not taking a QB in the whole draft, I think Troy Smith showed enough to be given atleast 1 shot, and that chance should be in 08. If he can't be our future, then in the 09 draft QB is a must.
Yeah I held off on a QB because I'm a huge Troy Smith fan, and I want him to get his chance. I loved what I saw from him last year. He's got incredible pocket awareness, a good arm, and is pretty clutch, plus he can make some drive saving runs. His accuracy is spotty, and he probably isn't that good with our offense yet, but with a healthy Todd Heap, Cameron should be able to get Troy Smith started like he did with Brees, another 6 footer.