Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 04-07-2008, 10:54 PM    (permalink
adschofield
Pro Bowler

adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChess View Post
danny manning, ha, what a tool
What did he do?

Danny Manning is a bada**

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.
adschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:54 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

MARIO MOTHER EFFING CHALMERS MY BOY. Oh man. What a game. That was great. Possibly the best scenario ever. Great game.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:55 PM    (permalink
DChess
All-Pro

DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

billy packer is thinking of coach k nude right now
DChess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:55 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am guessing Memphis fans feel like what I did after Boston College (#2) beat Virginia Tech after not scoring until two minutes remaining in the game. But slightly worse, considering this was for a National Championship. And I felt pretty bad.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:00 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
Kansas - 2 Championships
Oklahoma State - 2 Championships
Well, this one is their third, but it's not that simple. You aren't honestly suggesting that the Oklahoma State basketball program is close to Kansas, are you? What has Oklahoma State done the last 50 years?
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:01 PM    (permalink
kwilk103
Pro Bowler

kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

maybe self wants to go home like huggins?

wheres sweetness at?

cred 2 BoneKrusher
kwilk103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:05 PM    (permalink
adschofield
Pro Bowler

adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh, Sweetness, I've got a nice serving of crow for you...

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote:
Old 04-07-2008, 11:08 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Congrats to Kansas. At least UNC lost to the champs.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:19 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

woooooosaaaa. great game. told you it'd be Kansas.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:22 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So herein lies the difference between Rose and Melo: assertiveness.

But yeah. Great game. Sad they had to show a sad Beasley in One Shining Moment though...
Old 04-07-2008, 11:31 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
$4 mil a year with a $6 mil signing bonus is the rumored offer.
I think it's actually 3.5 mil a year. However, I wouldn't go to Ok state for 10 mil a year, shotty program, especially compared with Kansas.

Wow, what a game. That's basketball. Best team in the country all year long won that game.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:43 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

no one can imagine the joy I am feeling right now.this is the first title in my lifetime that I am old enough to remember.Mario Chalmers you are god
Old 04-07-2008, 11:44 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adschofield View Post
Oh, Sweetness, I've got a nice serving of crow for you...
Not really. I still stand by the fact that Self is not a very good game coach. I'll give props where props are due but I stand by my statement. If Memphis can knock down free throws down the stretch like they had in previous games, game over. It took a fadeaway 3 pointer from Chalmers and missed free throws for Kansas to win. But the law of averages played out and Memphis shot 63% from the line, like they had all season.

Self's a fantastic recruiter, no doubt and I do miss him at Illinois but again history before this showed his lack of in game coaching ability.

Congrats though to Kansas. It was the lesser of two evils tonight (I think my dislike for Self comes a lot from him being at Kansas too, a school I don't like at all). Calipari is a piece of slime though so it's kind of nice to see a cheater fail.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:50 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
Calipari can win, because he's a very very good coach.
Disagree with this two. I liken Cal to Self, although I'd take Bill over Cal any day of the week coaching wise. Great recruiter and a questionable in game coach at times, like tonight.

Why he didn't foul the Jayhawks on that last possession is beyond me, can't let them get an open 3 look. A lot of standing around offensively as well down the stretch, you CANNOT stall a game when you are up, just play. That was another mistake.

When you have great players on your team, more often than not you will succeed. Again you give credit where credit is due to these two coaches but in the whole scheme of things, I question their in game coaching ability.

How about Roy Williams. Win's a National Title but I know there are still those out there who question his in game coaching ability at times and how his teams choke when the games on the line (minus that UNC squad that beat my Illini)

Quote:
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:52 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Also, like the ESPN guys are mentioning they could have called a timeout on that final inbounds play instead of getting it inbounds right away.

Calipari IMO dropped the ball a bit down the stretch on multiple occassions.

Quote:
Old 04-07-2008, 11:54 PM    (permalink
Nitschke-Hawk
Pro Bowler

Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.

And he kinda admitted to it too on the CBS interview. "I'm disappointed in myself" and then said "probably should have" about a few different things.

Bosanac01
Nitschke-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:55 PM    (permalink
Cashmoney
Pro Bowler

Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.

Quote:
Also, like the ESPN guys are mentioning they could have called a timeout on that final inbounds play instead of getting it inbounds right away.

Calipari IMO dropped the ball a bit down the stretch on multiple occassions.
They should've fouled at the end of the game so they couldn't go for three.

Congrats to Kansas even though I'm indifferent to that school. I do, however, hate Memphis.
Cashmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:55 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not really. I still stand by the fact that Self is not a very good game coach.
Ya know, normally I would agree with you here, but I really feel that he proved something this year...in particular this tourney. I mean that gameplan vs UNC was just a gem, and I mean a gem. He was working the big man to big man and their plan of attack was excellent. He's been a solid coach in the past, nothing overly spectacular, but solid. This year he took it to the next level and became a good coach, and let's not forget about his recruiting.

Quote:
How about Roy Williams. Win's a National Title but I know there are still those out there who question his in game coaching ability at times and how his teams choke when the games on the line (minus that UNC squad that beat my Illini)
Huh? Williams is a great coach. He's won two national titles already this decade and went deep in the tourney every year. Anyone who's questioning he's coaching ability is nucking futs or a Kansas fan. He's the second best coach in the country aside from the man who resides 8 miles away.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.

Last edited by TitleTown088 : 04-08-2008 at 12:00 AM.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:56 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

This was the best coaching job I've seen all season by Self. His big issue is that he doesn't know how to rally the troops. I know someone was arguing with that point I made about firing his players up, but sometimes they just need that extra push, and he certainly doesn't do that, which is why Kansas has always tended to go in and out of games. However, his adjustments on defense were the finest I've seen all year from him. He was very quick to change whatever wasn't working and adjusting to something that did. And probably most importantly of all, realizing that there were no white players for Memphis, he quickly yanked Aldrich. I give him props. He's still sort of questionable on being a choke coach, but hey, this might have gotten him over the hump.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:58 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitschke-Hawk View Post
And he kinda admitted to it too on the CBS interview. "I'm disappointed in myself" and then said "probably should have" about a few different things.
I'm going to get slammed on this but I don't care...Memphis really shat down their leg in this game. Missed free throws, chance to foul to avoid a last second three and didn't, not calling a timeout after Chalmers hit the shot, and finally stalling the final minutes of the game.

3 of those have to do with coaching, the other one has to do with a lack of mental toughness. They had no reason to miss those free throws, they were making them going in, they were confident at the line, they were good in the first half, and they peed down their leg when the pressure came.

The Kansas guys on here calling me out were a free throw away from seeing Self fail again. If Memphis makes any one of those missed 4 free throws down the stretch (Rose and CDR had both been money all tournament long) they win the game. But instead the tables turn and Chalmers hits an amazing shot.

Sometimes the ball bounces your way, sometimes it doesn't. And for Memphis the ball did not bounce their way at the free throw line and Kansas took advantage like a good team does.

Quote:
Old 04-07-2008, 11:59 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

only issue I had with Self's coaching tonight was staying in the box and 1 for so long after Rose started ripping it apart
Old 04-08-2008, 12:06 AM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
This was the best coaching job I've seen all season by Self. His big issue is that he doesn't know how to rally the troops. I know someone was arguing with that point I made about firing his players up, but sometimes they just need that extra push, and he certainly doesn't do that, which is why Kansas has always tended to go in and out of games. However, his adjustments on defense were the finest I've seen all year from him. He was very quick to change whatever wasn't working and adjusting to something that did. And probably most importantly of all, realizing that there were no white players for Memphis, he quickly yanked Aldrich. I give him props. He's still sort of questionable on being a choke coach, but hey, this might have gotten him over the hump.
People still question Roy as an in-game coach yet he won a National Title. As bad as this sounds, until he can win another one I don't think the label will go away from Self. 4 straight years his teams underperformed greatly, went out twice in the first round heavily favored and went out in the Elite 8 four times, twice favored.

Self didn't really prove much to me to be honest. In order to be a successful program you have to recruit talent. These two teams were absolutely loaded with talent (Rose, Dorsey, Rush, Arthur, CDR, and Chalmers have a chance to be 1st Round picks...Jackson, Dozier, Anderson, Collins, and Robinson will most likely be drafted).

In the back of my mind I knew eventually Self would get it done. He recruited to well not to. And he's not a terrible game coach, he's usually pretty solid but he does have mental lapses no question. One thing I will say is that he can get them ready to play, his problems come when he has to adjust a game plan.

Self is a very good coach, I'm not going to lie. He can recruit like wild fire, he can get guys up for a game, he can develop talent pretty well, etc....His downfall is during the game and game preparing.

Quote:
Old 04-08-2008, 12:10 AM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

My dislike for self stems from these reasons;

A) He coaches at Kansas, and I hate Kansas. I hate their fans (no offense to those on here, you guys are cool but the ones I've met are terrible, no class)

B) He lied to Deron, Dee, James, Luther, and Roger, telling them he would not take the KU job, he also told the fan base he would be staying before he jumped ship

C) There is another issue that I won't touch, don't want to upset adcshofield ;)

Self's all and all a good guy and a good coach. And yes I have been and will continue to be hard on him for those reasons, if he leaves KU my dislike for him will go down but I still am ticked at how he left, much like KU fans still have a vendetta against ole' Roy.

Edit: If you're going to leave, be a man and admit you'regoing to leave. Don't lie to your players and then bolt a couple days later to leave us high and dry.

Quote:
Old 04-08-2008, 12:53 AM    (permalink
adschofield
Pro Bowler

I respect your class, Sweetness...good luck next year :D

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote:
Old 04-08-2008, 01:23 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I just read an article that Rose was supposed to foul Collins on that last play of regulation. He didn't want to make it look like an intentional, so he barely checked him, which obviously wasn't enough for the call. So, I guess that can be taken off the Calipari-hate board.