Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 05-11-2014, 03:48 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everyone here is in agreement that Lawrence cost us another player. No one here can debate this. But wanna talk about ceilings and production?

Here is my optimistic review of Lawrence.
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/...the-2014-draft

Out of the top 24 DE prospects in the draft Lawrence had the 4th highest production ratio over the past 2 years. Higher then Clowney/Ford/Ealy/Crichton/Smith/Smith/Martin

He played in 23 games and has 19 sacks. Thats a 82% chance that lawrence was going to sack the QB in each game he played.

Clowney had 24 sack in 36 games in his college career.

Higher drafted Marcus Smith played in almost twice as many games. Wanna compare stats?
Smith
Sacks - 24
TFL -33
Games - 45

Lawrence
Sacks - 19
TFL -33.5
Games - 23

So in almost half the games Lawrence has almost the same stats. You can go through this whole list. Lawrence has a small body of work but as much production as anyone on the list. This makes the trade a little easier to digest for me.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:59 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Everyone here is in agreement that Lawrence cost us another player. No one here can debate this. But wanna talk about ceilings and production?

Here is my optimistic review of Lawrence.
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/...the-2014-draft

Out of the top 24 DE prospects in the draft Lawrence had the 4th highest production ratio over the past 2 years. Higher then Clowney/Ford/Ealy/Crichton/Smith/Smith/Martin

He played in 23 games and has 19 sacks. Thats a 82% chance that lawrence was going to sack the QB in each game he played.

Clowney had 24 sack in 36 games in his college career.

Higher drafted Marcus Smith played in almost twice as many games. Wanna compare stats?
Smith
Sacks - 24
TFL -33
Games - 45

Lawrence
Sacks - 19
TFL -33.5
Games - 23

So in almost half the games Lawrence has almost the same stats. You can go through this whole list. Lawrence has a small body of work but as much production as anyone on the list. This makes the trade a little easier to digest for me.
Yeah but thats askew and misleading because smith played standing up and was used to cover guys a lot at 3-4 olb, he wasn't always rushing like lawrence, no question smith is the better, quicker, more fluid athlete.
I don't know about the others, you'd have to look at 3-4 backers differently, and he's slightly better than martin, so that I agree with.
Clowney took a year off, basically, so numbers can lie.

Last edited by Jas : 05-11-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:07 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
Yeah but thats askew and misleading because smith played standing up and was used to cover guys a lot at 3-4 olb, he wasn't always rushing like lawrence, no question smith is the better, quicker, more fluid athlete.
I don't know about the others, you'd have to look at 3-4 backers differently, and he's slightly better than martin, so that I agree with.
Clowney took a year off, basically, so numbers can lie.
I don't disagree with you for a second. Numbers can be compiled in many ways to prove points. The main thing to grab from my post above is that Lawrence put up numbers on par with any DL on this class and did it in half the amount of games. So that at least verifies what Jerry/Garrett have been talking about in the post draft conferences.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 05-11-2014, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
I don't disagree with you for a second. Numbers can be compiled in many ways to prove points. The main thing to grab from my post above is that Lawrence put up numbers on par with any DL on this class and did it in half the amount of games. So that at least verifies what Jerry/Garrett have been talking about in the post draft conferences.
But again half the games vs how many rushing attempts by the others..A better way to measure that would be to look at ratio of sacks they had per rush attempt percentage wise. It's not easy to do but the example you gave doesn't really do anything for me. It may turn out to be much worse for lawrence actually because he's constantly rushing.

If you want to weigh it out vs the other 4-3 ends ok, but this is apples and oranges. ;)

Forgetting all this on the plus side he does have more experience within a 4-3 than the others.

Last edited by Jas : 05-11-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:41 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
But again half the games vs how many rushing attempts by the others..A better way to measure that would be to look at ratio of sacks they had per rush attempt percentage wise. It's not easy to do but the example you gave doesn't really do anything for me. It may turn out to be much worse for lawrence actually because he's constantly rushing.

If you want to weigh it out vs the other 4-3 ends ok, but this is apples and oranges. ;)

Forgetting all this on the plus side he does have more experience within a 4-3 than the others.
They will also play in different schemes in the nfl. At the end of the day QB pressures and sacks will be how I measure this pick for us because that is what he was drafted for.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 05-11-2014, 04:55 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

The draft in pics

Old 05-11-2014, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

And my favorite compensatory pics

Old 05-11-2014, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Five guys there puttin' a hurtin on the QB, maybe we'll indeed have some rushmen