Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Diego Chargers Team Forum

San Diego Chargers Team Forum Discuss the Bolts

Old 06-03-2007, 08:44 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.
Default How do we stack up in the AFC?

Obviosuly after coming off a great season, we are one of the teams to beat in the whole NFL, not just the AFC. The majority of talent, however, is in the AFC, more specifically between the Bolts, Colts, and Pats.

My question is how do we honestly feel we stack up? The Colts are reigning Super Bowl champs, and the Pats have assembled somewhat of an all-star roster, with all their free agency moves and trades...

I know we're all Charger fans in here, but on paper at least, how do we feel we stack up? Are we the best or do we have a lot of ground to make up?

Further then that, what marks a successful season for us? Is it Super Bowl or Bust, or do we just have to show enough progress as in winning playoff games to know we are on the right track...

Personally, i think we are in a tough spot. On paper a team like the Patriots really scares me, and with the winning atmosphere in places like NE, and Indy, it certainly makes getting to the Super Bowl a real challenge. Our window is also at its peak right now, so if we don't make a Super Bowl this year, or next, we may be looking at some down years, as players age and leave through FA.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:53 PM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ok, I'm a KC fan, and i know the PAts have an all-star roster, but I seriuosly think that with Norv Turner, your offense is just outright scary and i think your better ON PAPER. I mean, you have a really good QB with Rivers, The best RB(at least top ten in terms of history) in the league and a decent recieving core.....I'd also like to say that the Pat's are always favorites, they could have Barbie, Barney and Paris Hilton as lineman and "Belichek would find away"

Then again, you were better on paper against KC last year and the loose cannon Lawrence Tynes crushed you guys(I know you kicked out butts at SD the next time, but if it wasn't for that blocked punt pentaly, it might've been a different game :) )
Old 06-05-2007, 08:56 PM    (permalink
sdpads24
Veteran

sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.

I definitely think the chargers must at least make it to the super bowl for Norv retain his job. Although there has been all this talk about the patriots and colts being the teams to beat, the chargers retained nearly all of our players and are only going to get better after that dissapointing loss in the first round last year. That will only fuel us to to better and go farther in the playoffs next season.

Thanks to Bantx for the cool sig.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21
sdpads24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:03 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpads24 View Post
I definitely think the chargers must at least make it to the super bowl for Norv retain his job. Although there has been all this talk about the patriots and colts being the teams to beat, the chargers retained nearly all of our players and are only going to get better after that dissapointing loss in the first round last year. That will only fuel us to to better and go farther in the playoffs next season.
I don't think Norv gets the axe if he doesn't make a Super Bowl...but I would say it puts him on the hot seat...

If AJ planned to dispose of Norv after one year, it was a bad hire. Tomlinson is nearing the end of his prime, and having 3 coaches over what could be his 3 most prolific seasons is a mistake.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:53 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Pats
2. Indy
3. San Diego
4. Baltimore

Man, the AFC is scary tough. The margins between the top 3 are razor thin though. You're a bigtime contender.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:05 PM    (permalink
JSimmsy21
Rookie

JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
I don't think Norv gets the axe if he doesn't make a Super Bowl...but I would say it puts him on the hot seat...

If AJ planned to dispose of Norv after one year, it was a bad hire. Tomlinson is nearing the end of his prime, and having 3 coaches over what could be his 3 most prolific seasons is a mistake.
nearing the end of his prime? he's going to be 28 this season, he's more than healthy, doesnt carry the load of the whole team(good QB, splits carries often enough) he doesnt party or abuse his body. look at Tiki, how old was he? 32? ish, i honeslty dont remember, but his numbers got better as he got older and almost everyone would agree that he had alot more left in him.

i dont mean to make havoc. but saying that LT is nearing the end of his prime is like Cleo making predictions. i'd put money on the fact that this man's best season is yet to come. could be barry sander's numbers in an emmitt smith long career.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:21 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSimmsy21 View Post
nearing the end of his prime? he's going to be 28 this season, he's more than healthy, doesnt carry the load of the whole team(good QB, splits carries often enough) he doesnt party or abuse his body. look at Tiki, how old was he? 32? ish, i honeslty dont remember, but his numbers got better as he got older and almost everyone would agree that he had alot more left in him.

i dont mean to make havoc. but saying that LT is nearing the end of his prime is like Cleo making predictions. i'd put money on the fact that this man's best season is yet to come. could be barry sander's numbers in an emmitt smith long career.
He's going to be 28....By 30 his prime is over. If we brought in a new coach next year, he's 29.

That's 3 coaches between ages 27-29, what will be his most productive years. Thats not to say he won't be productive later on, but physically he's getting towards the end of his prime. 30 is the magic number, he's two years away.

Tiki also didn't play much until the end of his career anyway, LT's been a starter since he got here.

Again, I'm a Charger fan, I'm not saying he's done after 29, and still may be a top back in the league. But his best years will be over after he's 29.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:03 AM    (permalink
frisby213
Rookie

frisby213 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpads24 View Post
To be honest, I'm a lot more scared of the Chargers than the Pats. Pats haven't done squat against the Colts since they lost their two main coordinators and star kicker. They always get beat on my Denver. Even you guys usually cream them (except for the playoff performance, which in my opinion was lost more by Marty's dumb coaching than anything).

Plus, look at recent history. 04 Steelers had the best record at 15-1, got eliminated from the playoffs. Next year, they came in as a lower seed, and won it all. 05 Colts? 14-2, best record in the NFL, they get eliminated. Next season, they win it all. 06 Chargers get eliminated with the best record....I think we can all see what the progression would lead to.

Colts vs. Chargers in the AFCCG. Who will win then? I don't know, but it'd be one helluva game.
frisby213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:57 AM    (permalink
bergo23
Rookie

bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.
Default We're right there and should fear no one

Don't forget the Ravens, they are stacked too. On paper, nobody can beat us. I think as long as the D doesn't regress under Cottrell, we will be in the hunt and will find a way to win that first playoff game.

It could be argued the Colts (secondary, run defense), Ravens (QB production), and even the Pats (aging LB core, Asante Samuel? makes their secondary a suspect)........their depth at RB behind an gimpy shouldered Maroney is also open to critique. With B & B they will always be in the hunt......but Moss doesn't scare me.
bergo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:40 PM    (permalink
LitoSheppard
Veteran

LitoSheppard needs more cowbell.

Wow, On paper noone can beat you guys? Patriots easly, Colts to.
1.Patriots
2.Colts
3.Chargers
4.Ravens

Ravens n Chargers to close to tell

^ bantx
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEROY_FROM_YONDER View Post
**** this forum it will never ever been good cause its memebers eat doo doo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
I just left him negative rep saying "I don't eat doo doo".
LitoSheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:14 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitoSheppard View Post
Wow, On paper noone can beat you guys? Patriots easly, Colts to.
1.Patriots
2.Colts
3.Chargers
4.Ravens

Ravens n Chargers to close to tell
I don't know if its clearcut, or any of those teams can easily beat us on paper...we do have one of the more talented teams around, I'm not going to admit we don't. The Pats might have us on paper I don't know, but who knows what will happen with Samuel. if the Colts do. Our defense is a lot stronger then there's, and our offense isn't very far behind, if at all, so how you can say easily I don't understand. As for the Ravens, the QB concern is there, as is WR uncertainty and how McGahee will play there, so I don't think the Ravens are as much of a concern.

Now, I did make this thread because like I said, there are a lot of other scary teams on paper, but saying the Pats are Colts easily have us? I don't think so.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:20 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not worried about the Patriots. Literally everything in the book had to go wrong for them to beat us by 3 points; key missed kick, we went into a prevent defense during the 2 minute drill at the end of the half allowing them to easily march down and score a TD, a muffed punt for loss of possession, dropping an easy interception in enemy territory, at least 3 straight up drops on 3rd down, conduct penalties extending dead drives, lazy duck of an interception, the worst challenge in the world, giving the league MVP the ball only 9 times in the 2nd half of a game where we had the lead, and of course...

intercepting a pass on 4th down, and then fumbling it away.

Read that list again. It's amazing that we only lost by 3 points. The Raiders would have beaten any team that made all those mistakes.

Their improvements consist of adding one linebacker to an old, slow defense that got torn up in the playoffs. And adding a couple of overrated receivers like Stallworth, who is always injured, Wes Welker who is strictly a slot receiver, and Randy. and Randy hasn't done anything in 4 years.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:25 PM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
Ok, I'm a KC fan, and i know the PAts have an all-star roster, but I seriuosly think that with Norv Turner, your offense is just outright scary and i think your better ON PAPER. I mean, you have a really good QB with Rivers, The best RB(at least top ten in terms of history) in the league and a decent recieving core.....I'd also like to say that the Pat's are always favorites, they could have Barbie, Barney and Paris Hilton as lineman and "Belichek would find away"

Then again, you were better on paper against KC last year and the loose cannon Lawrence Tynes crushed you guys(I know you kicked out butts at SD the next time, but if it wasn't for that blocked punt pentaly, it might've been a different game :) )
I'm pretty sure she'd be on the Bengals with all that jail time.

I don't see the Chargers doing as well as last year but it would be a shame to see them not make it into the playoffs. I think in 08, the Chargers will be in the AFC championship game.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:49 AM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i expect nothing less than a superbowl ring on lts finger

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:47 AM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Chargers sort of have a playoff monkey on their backs, like Indy did a few years ago and like Pittsburgh had for many years. Once they can get over the hump mentally, they should be able to bring home a ring. With a franchise QB secured, and some young cornerstone players on defense, the team should be in fine shape for the next few years, even if LT declines between now and then. Lets just be thankful guys, because we as a franchise suffered for a long time. The Pats and Colts were also long sufferers, and they had to pay some serious dues to get their first taste of championship football. I think the Chargers have also paid those dues and are very close.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:05 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What does WR depth look like for this year...?

1. Vincent Jackson
2. Eric Parker
3. Craig Davis
4. Malcolm Floyd
5. Kassim Osgood

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:14 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
What does WR depth look like for this year...?

1. Vincent Jackson
2. Eric Parker
3. Craig Davis
4. Malcolm Floyd
5. Kassim Osgood
I'd say the WR position's success will almost completely revolve around Vincent Jackson. If he picks up where he left off, we should be set there. He would then make a solid #1 target, leaving Craig Davis and Eric Parker in the #2 spot/slot. Now, Craig Davis is a rookie, so we cannot guarantee anything out of him, so he's still a question mark, but Parker has excelled, at least in the regular season, as a reliable option for Rivers, and was somewhat of a safety blanket for him. Floyd showed some big games last year (@ Cincy), and Osgood is a pro-bowl ST, but nothing to brag about as a WR. Also in the mix will be 5th rounder Legedu Nannee, who the Chargers are more trying to use as an H-Back.

There's a lot of question marks there, obviously its the least certain position on the offense. IF VJ plays well though, we have a pretty set #1 and #2 guy (Him and Parker), which would let Davis play in the slot, and learn more his rookie year. If he doesn't....we don't really have a surefire receiver anywhere...outside of Gates and LT that is.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:07 AM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'd say the WR position's success will almost completely revolve around Vincent Jackson. If he picks up where he left off, we should be set there. He would then make a solid #1 target, leaving Craig Davis and Eric Parker in the #2 spot/slot. Now, Craig Davis is a rookie, so we cannot guarantee anything out of him, so he's still a question mark, but Parker has excelled, at least in the regular season, as a reliable option for Rivers, and was somewhat of a safety blanket for him. Floyd showed some big games last year (@ Cincy), and Osgood is a pro-bowl ST, but nothing to brag about as a WR. Also in the mix will be 5th rounder Legedu Nannee, who the Chargers are more trying to use as an H-Back.

There's a lot of question marks there, obviously its the least certain position on the offense. IF VJ plays well though, we have a pretty set #1 and #2 guy (Him and Parker), which would let Davis play in the slot, and learn more his rookie year. If he doesn't....we don't really have a surefire receiver anywhere...outside of Gates and LT that is.

The early buzz is that Davis looks impressive in OTA's, so that's a positive. Hopefully the extra competition improves the entire unit.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:03 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
The early buzz is that Davis looks impressive in OTA's, so that's a positive. Hopefully the extra competition improves the entire unit.
Yeah, by the end of the season I would like to see Davis emerge in the #2 role, letting Parker play the slot. I feel like as a #2 WR Parker is somewhat of a liability, but in the slot, he's a huge advantage-guy. Assuming everyone develops ideally, we're no longer looking like a team with a huge hole at WR....maybe we can get through a season without someone saying we need a #1 WR.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:07 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've just looked into a crystal ball to discover the San Diego Not-So-Super Chargers are in for a major fall, and will make the Tennesee Titans look like world-beaters, I'm afraid. The team just won't be able to close games and it's all very painful, but the string of Top 5 picks in the next few years will ultimately allow them to finally reach the Super Bowl in 2013.

;)
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:11 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I've just looked into a crystal ball to discover the San Diego Not-So-Super Chargers are in for a major fall, and will make the Tennesee Titans look like world-beaters, I'm afraid. The team just won't be able to close games and it's all very painful, but the string of Top 5 picks in the next few years will ultimately allow them to finally reach the Super Bowl in 2013.

;)
...So your saying....We're going to make a Super Bowl!?

Super Bowl XLVII Champs! Champagne all around boys.

;) We've waited since 95 to even get another shot at a Super Bowl...whats a couple more years..
Old 06-19-2007, 12:22 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really shouldn't spoil this, but the absolute kicker is that it is Ryan Leaf's younger brother, Brady, who will lead the Chargers back to the Big Show!

:D
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:27 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I really shouldn't spoil this, but the absolute kicker is that it is Ryan Leaf's younger brother, Brady, who will lead the Chargers back to the Big Show!

:D
Hey, c'mon save the spoilers...I wonder if Sammy Davis has any brothers who will make our secondary shutdown...:)
Old 07-07-2007, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.

Quote:
Hey, c'mon save the spoilers...I wonder if Sammy Davis has any brothers who will make our secondary shutdown...:)

probably not... fool
Average OT LB is offline   Reply With Quote