Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 12-13-2010, 11:08 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

loved his press conference kind of reminds me of jim harbaugh

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:08 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Are you kidding me?
Old 12-13-2010, 11:10 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like this guy. I am very excited.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:13 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This guy seems like a good hire for u guys. Not sure why they wouldn't like him. If u can turn around Temple, u can turn around the U.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:15 PM    (permalink
SwagU
Veteran

SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I also must say I feel really comfortable and happy with this hire. I really feel that Golden can get this program back to glory.
SwagU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:16 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
I like this guy. I am very excited.
I think this was about the best move you guys could have made. I am so glad to NOT see him in the Big10 (say, replacing JoePa as has often been mentioned). The guy is good. Plus he seems to do it the "right" way. Another great plus to continue what Randy S started when he cleaned house.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:43 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like him too. I really liked Randy too though, so hopefully this turns out better. I'm happy for Randy though getting the DC job at UT.

Also DG don't take a picture with this guy. That probably cursed Randy too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:48 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Also DG don't take a picture with this guy. That probably cursed Randy too!
Ahhh good call. We need to avoid the Ginger Curse if at all possible. ;)
Old 12-14-2010, 01:57 AM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just watched the press conference. Great stuff. Hope he can bring it X's and O's wise, because there's no doubt that he's going to be able to recruit well.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:18 AM    (permalink
Veteran

6270410908 6270410908 6270410908 6270410908 6270410908 6270410908 6270410908 6270410908 6270410908 6270410908

If you can turn Temple into a winning program, you can damn near walk on water.
6270410908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:50 AM    (permalink
RealityCheck
All-Pro

RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm surprised nobody came up with a post like this:

Quote:
Golden will suck. He coached in the MAC, for God's sake.
RealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:04 AM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good hire, IMHO.

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM
bullg8rdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:37 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullg8rdaddy View Post
Good hire, IMHO.
We'll see. Everyone is crowning him because he has charisma, but as we've seen countless times, and like Golden said in his press conference, you need to be stellar at recruiting AND x's and o's, not just one or the other.

I'm not saying he's going to fail, but people need to reserve judgement until we actually see if this guy can coach in a big game against a legit opponent that knows how to gameplan. It sure sounds like he has everything planned out. Loved the talk about him preparing for his first big gig for 15 years.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:02 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

lol, Roy Firestone posted on CaneSport pimping the hire. That guy is a diehard Cane. Love it.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:51 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
lol, Roy Firestone posted on CaneSport pimping the hire. That guy is a diehard Cane. Love it.
Roy Firestone is the king of extremely biased sports journalism.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:14 PM    (permalink
Miaoww
Veteran

Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The more I read about the guy the happier I am about the hire.
Miaoww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:23 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watched the Ohio/Temple game to see what Golden's schemes/team look like.

First thing I noticed, there is not a fat person on that team. Really impressive looking squad.

Golden is a really fiery dude on the sideline. Gets after the refs, gets guys pumped up on the sideline.

Not sure how much the schemes are going to roll over, but the offense runs a ton of zone concepts and boots, lots of 2 TE sets, tons of different formations. Fair amount of throws to the TE, a lot of intermediate stuff. Fair amount of counters too. Really solid scheme, don't think anyone from Temple's offensive staff here but I expect something similar.

For the defense, so many different looks. Fair amount of basic 3-4, as well a 4-3, but the DL rarely comes out in the same look two plays in a row. Not a whole lot of blitzing, DL does a lot of 2 gap/gap containing. A lot of zone behind them. Some zone blitzing stuff, NT dropping into coverage out of a 3-4.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:39 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The one thing you should notice is that they keep running a 5-5 rb in the the center of the offensive line. Either HC has to say something, or the OC is a moron.

Hopefully one thing Golden changes, it half time changes, and in game tactics. If rarely stray's from his game plan even if it is not working. He doesn't anticipates, and usually gets out coached. It might have to do with incompetent OC, and the DC being his buddy. So he might not go and yell at them or want to make changes for them.

We had like 6 deep TE. Guys were converted over from DE, WR, LB. Not to mention the recruits we had at TE, already. He probably is going to stick with the power run game.

Blitzing wise, their goal usually is to get after the qb with only 4 guys. Even when its not working they keep running it. Like in our bowl game, and against Nova last year. At some point you gotta realize that its not working, and blitz. Again in game tactics.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:14 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

D'Onofrio (DC) and Franklin (DL) are likely coming with him. Paul Williams (DB) might be coming as well, not entirely sure about him though. Mike Barrow (LB) and Jeff Stoutland (OL) are probably staying. Aubrey Hill might as well (WR/RC). No clue about the OC and ST yet.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 12-16-2010, 12:22 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You Canes keep your hands of Holliman! He belongs at Ole Miss!

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:05 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Found this on TomahawkNation.com in the comments....

Quote:
Originally Posted by osceolafan2.0
A) His main claim to fame is he started winning at Temple, which was terrible before he arrived. But before he arrived the Owls were a Big East team. Golden’s resurrection of the program is perfectly timed with their playing some of the worst teams in FBS.

2) The combined record of the teams Golden beat is 100-216. Against teams with winning records he was 2-24 in his five years and never beat a winning MAC team. That is a major red flag because it appears he shrinks in most big games.

D) This season the Owls were voted as favorites to win the MAC because of the talent Golden had brought to Philly. Their finish? 3rd in their own division. This actually leaves me with doubts as to his maximizing talent when you are alleged to have the biggest budget and most talent but can’t beat any team in the conference with a winning record.

For a bit of perspective on his MAC trouble, Brian Kelly took over Central Michigan and won the MAC in his third year. In five years Golden couldn’t beat a MAC team with a winning record.
With superior talent and the largest football budget in the MAC he couldn't beat good MAC teams. How in the world are we supposed to believe he can win in the ACC Coastal?
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:04 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Because Temple was the worst program in the country. Just because you have money doesn't mean you have the resources to recruit top athletes. He built a great defense at Temple, he is a great recruiter and he's already shown he has the personality to get the athletes and the alumni fighting for him. His biggest problem at Temple was the offense, mainly because they could never get a good QB and the offensive staff wasn't very good. No one from his offensive staff is coming here, and in a few days he's going to get one of the best high school QBs in the country. No one's guaranteeing he's gonna win here, but there are a ton of reasons to think he can. This team already has the talent to win ACC Coastal, just needs someone to not **** it up.

Oh and shocking an FSU site is hating on the UM hire.

<njx9> <3 dg

Last edited by draftguru151 : 12-16-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:58 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He didn't rebuild Temple into a Big East contender, he rebuilt a team in the biggest city in the conference into a slightly above average MAC team. He also did this while getting kids at Temple that Miami would never begin to allow into school. On top of this he gets to fight it out with Jimbo Fisher and Will Muschamp for South Florida talent.

I'd also say Miami does not have the talent to win the Coastal in 2011, and from there it will get even worse for a while.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:00 AM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
He didn't rebuild Temple into a Big East contender, he rebuilt a team in the biggest city in the conference into a slightly above average MAC team. He also did this while getting kids at Temple that Miami would never begin to allow into school. On top of this he gets to fight it out with Jimbo Fisher and Will Muschamp for South Florida talent.

I'd also say Miami does not have the talent to win the Coastal in 2011, and from there it will get even worse for a while.
Jimbo Fisher and Will Muschamp have accomplished nothing as head coaches. They aren't going to scare any Miami fan, and they certainly aren't going to scare Al Golden.

Are there questions regarding Golden as the head coach of Miami? Sure but right now he is doing and saying all the right things, so Miami fans are optimistic. A lot of his success will be directly related to if he gets the OC hire right. That's huge.
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:09 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Jimbo Fisher and Will Muschamp have accomplished nothing as head coaches. They aren't going to scare any Miami fan, and they certainly aren't going to scare Al Golden.

Are there questions regarding Golden as the head coach of Miami? Sure but right now he is doing and saying all the right things, so Miami fans are optimistic. A lot of his success will be directly related to if he gets the OC hire right. That's huge.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Fisher have more division championships than Miami after just one year of coaching? He turned a team around from 6-6 to 9-3 in the regular season as well as the unofficial state championship. If Golden isn't worried with 2 Saban clones around him coupled with academic restrictions neither school faces, then he's biding time til he leaves for Penn State.