Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 01-20-2009, 07:42 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Randy Shannon told reporters today if he doesn't get one of his top candidates, he is just going to run the defense himself and probably promote Mike Barrow to Co-DC
But he (rightfully so) doesn't want to do that.

However, I'd rather that or the Tubbs stopgap option then to have us hire the Patrick Nix of DCs.

Remember, Randy is one of the 15 or so best DCs in college football.

Barrow is from that same school of thought and with the talent we are bringing in we really only need a guy to call the right coverages and make sure the players know their assignments.

The rest is just regular cover 2, line em up and beat em down like we've always done.

We got the talent on that side of the ball to do that and honestly, our DBs will be better for us. You'll see Harris and DVD make more strides in that D then in Young's D.

But we have to have our MLB in order for that to work and I don't see it ATM.
JoeyJr09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:50 PM    (permalink
sbh15
2010 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I saw earlier that Charlie Strong's name was mentioned in the DC search.

He won't go anywhere unless it's a HC position, especially not to Miami. He'd be trading the DC job at a National Champion school for Miami's? No way. It probably was just a name thrown into a pot somwhere along the way, and I'm going to be defensive of this guy because I love him, so take this with a grain of salt.
sbh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:15 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh15 View Post
I saw earlier that Charlie Strong's name was mentioned in the DC search.

He won't go anywhere unless it's a HC position, especially not to Miami. He'd be trading the DC job at a National Champion school for Miami's? No way. It probably was just a name thrown into a pot somwhere along the way, and I'm going to be defensive of this guy because I love him, so take this with a grain of salt.
I wouldn't say he's anywhere near a HC job and frankly I'm not impressed with him.

How soon people forget that all his defenses have sucked up until this season. Not to mention, he's co-DC.

Not even a full time gig for him.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:26 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJr09 View Post
Tommy Tubberville
I knew I was gonna feel stupid when you answered.

Quote:
But he (rightfully so) doesn't want to do that.

However, I'd rather that or the Tubbs stopgap option then to have us hire the Patrick Nix of DCs.

Remember, Randy is one of the 15 or so best DCs in college football.

Barrow is from that same school of thought and with the talent we are bringing in we really only need a guy to call the right coverages and make sure the players know their assignments.

The rest is just regular cover 2, line em up and beat em down like we've always done.

We got the talent on that side of the ball to do that and honestly, our DBs will be better for us. You'll see Harris and DVD make more strides in that D then in Young's D.

But we have to have our MLB in order for that to work and I don't see it ATM.
Yeah, we definitely should go with a good stop-gap over a long-term mess. Our defense will be so stacked in 2010 that the DC won't matter as much anyway.

I disagree. 15 is an awfully conservative number considering there are 119 schools. He's at least top-10 when he devotes himself fully.

If we play Cover 2, I don't want to see Grant on the field and especially not DVD. 2 soft corners is a recipe for disaster in a Cover 2.

I think we're fine at LB. Spence and McCarthy are proven, while Sharpton should improve and have a breakout year like every other Miami LB does at some point. Beason, Gooden and Cook all did it. Romeo Davis has no talent, but he played up to his potential as a Senior and exceeded expectations as well.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:38 PM    (permalink
sbh15
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I wouldn't say he's anywhere near a HC job and frankly I'm not impressed with him.

How soon people forget that all his defenses have sucked up until this season. Not to mention, he's co-DC.

Not even a full time gig for him.
His 2006 defense allowed 13 ppg, yards allowed are nothing if your defense can stop them when it counts. I'm not sure about the years before '06, but nobody could have made that '07 defense look good. It started 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores in the secondary.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:40 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
I knew I was gonna feel stupid when you answered.

Yeah, we definitely should go with a good stop-gap over a long-term mess. Our defense will be so stacked in 2010 that the DC won't matter as much anyway.

I disagree. 15 is an awfully conservative number considering there are 119 schools. He's at least top-10 when he devotes himself fully.

If we play Cover 2, I don't want to see Grant on the field and especially not DVD. 2 soft corners is a recipe for disaster in a Cover 2.

I think we're fine at LB. Spence and McCarthy are proven, while Sharpton should improve and have a breakout year like every other Miami LB does at some point. Beason, Gooden and Cook all did it. Romeo Davis has no talent, but he played up to his potential as a Senior and exceeded expectations as well.
I think DVD will be much better in the cover 2 then in the Bill Young defense. He will have alot more help over the top so he can take more chances and use his speed and coverage abilities better in a cover 2 then in Young's defense where he basically had to smack every WR and stay physical enough to not get beat when he was consistently getting put on an island.

How many times did we see the deep ball because the safeties were worried about other responsibilities instead of help over the top?

Grant is just no where near fast enough to play CB in any defense. Not even in Pop Warner.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:41 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
His 2006 defense allowed 13 ppg, yards allowed are nothing if your defense can stop them when it counts. I'm not sure about the years before '06, but nobody could have made that '07 defense look good. It started 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores in the secondary.
So basically you're saying his DC skills come and go with the defensive talent? That 06 team was loaded with NFL draft picks and any DC could use that to his advantage. The great ones have a consistent defense every year regardless of experience/talent.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:54 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Quote:
So basically you're saying his DC skills come and go with the defensive talent? That 06 team was loaded with NFL draft picks and any DC could use that to his advantage. The great ones have a consistent defense every year regardless of experience/talent.
Bingo!

The 2007 defense had basically the same players as the 2008 defense. Just 1 year younger.

I know 1 year is a big difference in college but I'm sorry, the difference isn't that great with every player to make them go from one of the worst to one of the best.

His defenses before Meyer were underwhelming.

The only time he has gotten results was when Meyer got there and named him Co-DC and they have been pretty mixed results as well.

He's ok, but not what he's made out to be.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:55 PM    (permalink
sbh15
All-Pro

Quote:
You really think that a freshman corner and Wondy-Pierre Louis with a freshman center-fielder behind them could look good under any DC? That run defense was fantastic, but teams could pick apart that secondary all day long. Joe Haden had played no corner up until that year - it was his first. I never really said that he comes and goes with talent, I said I'm not entirely sure how good the defenses were.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:00 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Quote:
You really think that a freshman corner and Wondy-Pierre Louis with a freshman center-fielder behind them could look good under any DC? That run defense was fantastic, but teams could pick apart that secondary all day long. Joe Haden had played no corner up until that year - it was his first. I never really said that he comes and goes with talent, I said I'm not entirely sure how good the defenses were.
Let's put it this way. UF has produced some good defensive talent over the years.

Yet his he has more bad defenses then good defenses.

That's not a good thing.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:10 PM    (permalink
sbh15
All-Pro

Quote:
Let's put it this way. UF has produced some good defensive talent over the years.

Yet his he has more bad defenses then good defenses.

That's not a good thing.

Agree to disagree.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:38 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Quote:

Agree to disagree.
I'm shocked that a UF fan likes his DC (despite very underwhelming results).

Anyways, highly unlikely we even bother talking to him.

What's everyone's thoughts of Willie Martinez.

Hearing there are some legs to that one.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:12 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Georgia fans all seem to dislike Willie Martinez, which throws up a red flag for me but the guy is a Miami Hurricane (from Hollywood too), is an outstanding secondary coach, a great recruiter and when he has the players he puts up top ten defenses.

A year ago he was the hottest name on the coaching market, one sub par year and everyone hates him. I wouldn't be upset if he was our DC next year, think it could be a good fit.

Tommy Tubbz would be outstanding, but I gotta think that's a pipe dream. Him and Shannon do get along really well though, so who knows...
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:46 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
The Georgia fans all seem to dislike Willie Martinez, which throws up a red flag for me but the guy is a Miami Hurricane (from Hollywood too), is an outstanding secondary coach, a great recruiter and when he has the players he puts up top ten defenses.

A year ago he was the hottest name on the coaching market, one sub par year and everyone hates him. I wouldn't be upset if he was our DC next year, think it could be a good fit.

Tommy Tubbz would be outstanding, but I gotta think that's a pipe dream. Him and Shannon do get along really well though, so who knows...
Personally I want Willie Martinez.

His track record is very good and even this year was not a bad year.

Just not what they were used to.

But by no means is he a bad DC and I think his style fits us well.

When I heard his name I was actually kinda excited. He's no Bill Young but damn if he doesn't have some upside as a long term DC here to solve that problem for a few years.

Remember, they had some nasty injuries this year as well and their DBs were terribly overrated. Prince Miller was basically a hyped version of Bruce Johnson.

Whipple has grown on me as well after doing more reading on him.

However, with Shurmur getting the Rams OC job, Philly might do w/e it takes to keep Whipple around.

But a Whipple/OC and Martinez/DC combo would do wonders for us on multiple fronts.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:22 AM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rumors flying around everywhere that John McNulty (OC at Rutgers) might be the guy. That would be an outstanding hire IMO, I love his offense and every time I watch Rutgers play I honestly think damn that is what Miami should be doing...he keeps it simple, develops his running game, throws to the middle of the field, uses play action, the TE etc.

I hope this comes true and I wake up tomorrow morning to here we hired him.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:33 AM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Quote:
Rumors flying around everywhere that John McNulty (OC at Rutgers) might be the guy. That would be an outstanding hire IMO, I love his offense and every time I watch Rutgers play I honestly think damn that is what Miami should be doing...he keeps it simple, develops his running game, throws to the middle of the field, uses play action, the TE etc.

I hope this comes true and I wake up tomorrow morning to here we hired him.
I'm hearing the same things.

Sounding like they are working out to details.

Can't complain about the hire.

He's got some decent NFL experience.

He's good with WRs and QBs and that Rutgers offense this year was outstanding.

I love the way they played football.

But it shouldnt be annouced tomorrow.

Looking like Thursday or Friday.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:39 AM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The loss of Young worries me a little bit, but with Shannon here, I will never worry about the Defense as much. I hope we just promote Barrow. I think he will be a tremendous defensive coach.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:47 AM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
The loss of Young worries me a little bit, but with Shannon here, I will never worry about the Defense as much. I hope we just promote Barrow. I think he will be a tremendous defensive coach.
Barrow is on the staff purely for recruiting.

He is not a great coach.

He gets the job done as a LB coach because he was so good at it but he would be in over his head as a DC.

He still has alot to learn about coaching before he ever gets a shot at DC.

What he brings to this program is a big name, a "celebrity" kind of persona to sell to recruits and a good person at developing relationships.

Without Barrow there is no Arthur or Bryce at Miami.

But don't get that confused with him being a great coach. He's just another guy. LB coaches of his caliber are a dime a dozen.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:08 AM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Quote:
I'm hearing the same things.

Sounding like they are working out to details.

Can't complain about the hire.

He's got some decent NFL experience.

He's good with WRs and QBs and that Rutgers offense this year was outstanding.

I love the way they played football.

But it shouldnt be annouced tomorrow.

Looking like Thursday or Friday.

What's the reasoning behind waiting another day or two if he is the guy?
Old 01-21-2009, 01:53 AM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Question, who's that CB who made the spectacular INT against Boise in the computers bowl a couple of years back? Is this his senior year, is he making strides? Ever since then I thought I'd hear his name more often (on the national level, or atleast with the draftniks).
Old 01-21-2009, 05:56 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chavez Grant. Unfortunately that was the highlight of his career so far. Too small and too slow to be anything more than a nickel back though.

Really like the McNulty hire if we end up going that way. Probably more than most of the candidates that were being talked about.

I'd really like Martinez as well. Love UGA's style of defense.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:36 AM    (permalink
Jonny
Veteran

Jonny is a cocksman.Jonny is a cocksman.Jonny is a cocksman.

I can tell you guys about McNulty. However, I would like to know how reliable that Miami Herald blog posting is. From what I've heard in the past, McNulty was happy where he is, and I really doubt Kyle Flood would leave. McNulty would be a tough loss, but Flood would be devastating.

McNulty in general is a good OC. My one complaint is that he's in love with the deep ball. In 2008, the problem was really that we kept going for the home run when a first down would suffice. We kept just missing on passes, and eventually the QB started pressing and making mistakes.

It's a similar offense to what the Giants run in the NFL. Pro style, run inside to set up the deep ball down field.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:41 AM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Not gonna be McNulty.

Not gonna be Whipple.

They have both spoken to coaches but Randy passed.

Back to my original statement.

The guy Randy hires will be a name we've never heard before.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:20 PM    (permalink
Hokie_Pokie08
Rookie

Hokie_Pokie08 is a cocksman.Hokie_Pokie08 is a cocksman.Hokie_Pokie08 is a cocksman.

Quote:

That sounds a lot like Charlie Strong.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:08 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie_Pokie08 View Post
That sounds a lot like Charlie Strong.
I was thinking the same thing.

But honestly, and the is just IMO.

Martinez is much better then Strong.

Even Martinez's down years are better then some of Strong's good years.

And While at UGA, Martinez has never had a year as bad as some of the ones strong has at UF.