Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Better 2nd Year RB... J.I. or Maroney?
J.I. 32 35.56%
Maroney 58 64.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2007, 10:41 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
How did I know the "Colts had better WRs" argument would come up? Wouldn't the Colts having better WRs imply the Pats' need to make more use of their talented young RB, in both the running and passing game? Yet Maroney carried the ball 51 less times than Addai last season, averaged 1/2 yard less per carry, and had slightly over half of the receptions Addai did at about the same rate of production. Harrison and Wayne explain all that? Wow, they must be better than Rice and Taylor. If Maroney was a good receiver and blocker, he would have cut into Faulk's playing time. As for the Pats' OL, has the personnel changed? I know they're going to more of a ZBS this year, but if their OL couldn't run block last year, a shift in scheme won't make that much difference. Given an approximately equal workload, I'll take the more consistent and more productive player in this, and that would be Addai.
Ever think having WRs like that might open up the field a bit and back the safeties up a little?

Are we arguing who will have the better statistics or who is the better player? All the stats you brought up mean very little in terms of their talent. Addai ran behind such a better OL last year. Had a much more open field when running.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:15 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Ever think having WRs like that might open up the field a bit and back the safeties up a little?

Are we arguing who will have the better statistics or who is the better player? All the stats you brought up mean very little in terms of their talent. Addai ran behind such a better OL last year. Had a much more open field when running.
and Pats passing game wasn't quite as scary as the Colts', especially because of the recieving corps. 1,900!

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:24 AM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Mauroney better as a player but I think Adai is taylor made for the colts offense so he may have more production.

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:06 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
How did I know the "Colts had better WRs" argument would come up? Wouldn't the Colts having better WRs imply the Pats' need to make more use of their talented young RB, in both the running and passing game? Yet Maroney carried the ball 51 less times than Addai last season, averaged 1/2 yard less per carry, and had slightly over half of the receptions Addai did at about the same rate of production. Harrison and Wayne explain all that? Wow, they must be better than Rice and Taylor. If Maroney was a good receiver and blocker, he would have cut into Faulk's playing time. As for the Pats' OL, has the personnel changed? I know they're going to more of a ZBS this year, but if their OL couldn't run block last year, a shift in scheme won't make that much difference. Given an approximately equal workload, I'll take the more consistent and more productive player in this, and that would be Addai.
u knew it was coming because its a big part..we dont have an elite OL and having no outside threat leaves us with 8 men in box

8 men in box..inconsistent run blocking .. power scheme..

that doesnt go well.

heres what u see this year.

7 men in box(who will dare to play a safety up with Moss and Stallworth aswell as Watson who wont be doubled?)

ZBS..there was a lot of talk about going to Zone..and we did a little last year.

playcalling: Maroney last year had too many runs inside while Dillon went outside..we couldnt utilize his speed. its fine if our run blocking was strong but it wasnt so inside running with his speed..didnt give him a chance to run 80 yards.
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:11 PM    (permalink
constant cough
Rookie

constant cough hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

People are just basing their Maroney love because of his college career. Well of course he rushed for more yards than Joe in college he played at fricking Minnesota! All they do is run the ball, do they even have recievers on that team? Comparing college production when systems are really drastically different to NFL production were the talent and schemes are pretty even just doesn't wash.

All college stats tell me is that Maroney has more mileage on him than Addai. But I've seen nothing in their short NFL careers that tells me Maroney is better, in fact their NFL numbers seem to tell other wise. After all it was Addai who lead all rookies in rushing and not Maroney.
constant cough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:17 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by constant cough View Post
People are just basing their Maroney love because of his college career. Well of course he rushed for more yards than Joe in college he played at fricking Minnesota! All they do is run the ball, do they even have recievers on that team? Comparing college production when systems are really drastically different to NFL production were the talent and schemes are pretty even just doesn't wash.

All college stats tell me is that Maroney has more mileage on him than Addai. But I've seen nothing in their short NFL careers that tells me Maroney is better, in fact their NFL numbers seem to tell other wise. After all it was Addai who lead all rookies in rushing and not Maroney.
...and? stats tell the stories since?

Kitna had more passing yards than Brady. your point?

Maroney had multi injuries..a knee..a tight..an ankle..a rib and a shoulder

he missed a few games from the rib and then rest and he came back with a shoulder brace aswell which he got surgery on this year.

if u watched a single Patriots game u would say WTF every time we run the ball.
1) Maroney got hit in the backfield so many times because someone got through
2) The play calls were mostly inside runs..wheres the speed advantage by going inside?

Maroney was near top of league in yards after contact..
Quote:
2. How many yards can a running back pick up after contact? The top-five backs in average yards after contact are all significantly better than the 2-yard after-contact average in the NFL. The top-10 NFL backs with a minimum of 150 carries that make something happen after the first tackler strikes are Gore, Travis Henry, Laurence Maroney, Taylor, Cadillac Williams, LaDainian Tomlinson, Westbrook, Chester Taylor, Kevin Jones and Tiki Barber in that order.
1. Gore
2. Henry
3. Maroney
4. F. Taylor
5. Williams
6. LT
7. Westbrook
8. C. Taylor
9. Jones
10. Barber

whats that say about guys like Maroney-Williams-Jones all who had "okay seasons"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9854300
Old 06-06-2007, 09:25 PM    (permalink
constant cough
Rookie

constant cough hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Yeah dude I haven't watched a single Pats game this past season I'm just blowing smoke and looking at stats. I've seen plenty Maroney in college and this past year. Have I said he wasn't a good player? No. What I've said is I don't think he's better than Addai, just as good? Sure you could sell me on that but not better. And all your excuse making about injuries and running on the inside isn't going to change my mind about that.

I think they are about equal running. Addai is a better reciever and blocker but Maroney can return punts and kicks. Makes em about even. Sorry I just don't see anything from Maroney that tells me he's head and sholders above Addai other than his pre draft hype which is what seems to be carrying over in most peoples minds.

Last edited by constant cough : 06-06-2007 at 09:30 PM.
constant cough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:40 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by constant cough View Post
Yeah dude I haven't watched a single Pats game this past season I'm just blowing smoke and looking at stats. I've seen plenty Maroney in college and this past year. Have I said he wasn't a good player? No. What I've said is I don't think he's better than Addai, just as good? Sure you could sell me on that but not better. And all your excuse making about injuries and running on the inside isn't going to change my mind about that.

I think they are about equal running. Addai is a better reciever and blocker but Maroney can return punts and kicks. Makes em about even. Sorry I just don't see anything from Maroney that tells me he's head and sholders above Addai other than his pre draft hype which is what seems to be carrying over in most peoples minds.
the reason people here like Maroney is his running style. He doesnt look like a big guy..he looks somewhat skinny..hes not very built but hes a home run threat..hes got a top stiff arm and he can shake and break tackles. Hes suprisingly strong for someone who doesnt seem very powerful.

How many offensive pro bowlers did Patriots have? 1..which was an alternate

how many did Colts have? 5 ?

it makes a big difference with the supporting cast. Did Cadillac Williams just decide to suck? I dont think so.. How about James? I dont think so.

how can you say Addai is a better receiver and blocker than Maroney? Maroney caught everything his way..and he blocked well. Faulk is 1 of the best 3rd down backs..not many people in league are as good receivers as Faulk so dont say why didnt Maroney take over him.Maroney didnt drop passes or miss blocking assignments..i know Addai is a good blocker but so is Maroney. If Maroney averaged 4.3 ypc..and Addai averaged 4.8, what does Maroney being #3 in league in YAC say while Addai isnt top 10 in that category? Tells me either Addai had huge holes..and got his 4.8 avg or it could mean Maroney got hit near line of scrimmage but still managed 4.3 ypc.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:38 PM    (permalink
DaBears9654
Rookie

DaBears9654 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I have a simple, not-in-depth hunch that it will be Maroney.

NFC North right ends are shaking in their cleats.

Or @ least they had better be.
DaBears9654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:12 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

addai is the better weapon.
maroney is the better runner.

it's pretty much that simple.

they'll both fit their teams fine.
the patriots aren't looking for a reciever out of the backfield, they have five (plus) WR's who have done some damage in the past.
the colts will use addai to every bit of his potential, whereas he's a better pass protector, a better reciever (which can be said is due to the system)...

who will have more Yards from Scrimmage?
Addai. Easy.
But that's because the pats will go to four man sets for short passing more often and use their agile recievers to get YAC.

Who will do more for the offense as a whole? Maroney. He'll set the tempo in Bill's offense, and gets a good initial punch on the pass rush to set up the short passing game. He'll be the cog of the game, pick up lots of carries, and may not have the production he had last year, but will benifit from the defense looking pass first with significant play-action potential.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:12 AM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Maroney more, but Addai is good in his own right. I think Maroney's talents will be shown during the upcoming season.

Whitney Mercilus will be a better and more productive player than Shea McClellin

In Tyler We Trust

Welcome to Project Mayhem

This was stolen, and I appreciate it.
Jimmy Buckets <3
Bearsfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote