Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 12-07-2006, 04:57 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jets future
why does mostly every body on this board doesent like mainstream rap, i v never met this many people that like underground rap than mainstream rap
Ever notice how most people who love underground now, were first turned on to rap through the mainstream? You rarely see people jump from listening to underground to listening to mainstream exclusively. That would be like man turning into monkey. Don't worry, eventually your taste in music will evolve as well.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:59 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason
Quote:
why does mostly every body on this board doesent like mainstream rap, i v never met this many people that like underground rap than mainstream rap
Ever notice how most people who love underground now, were first turned on to rap through the mainstream? You rarely see people jump from listening to underground to listening to mainstream exclusively. That would be like man turning into monkey. Don't worry, eventually your taste in music will evolve as well.
I am not one of those.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 05:01 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quote:
How can you not want a history and then like Cunninlynguists? Nearly 1/2 of there music is laced with historical references of the bible and other stuff.. Not to mention there best song ever written, Seasons, is a huge metaphor, but you probably don't like it because its forced.

If you don't want to listen to music for a meaning stick to the good all Paul Wall, Mike Jones, and othere good mainstream rappers.
But its not forced. They do it naturally, it just flows with what theyre trying to accomplish. And theyre versatile. Not all their songs are like that. Listen to "A Piece of Strange". Its hard to explain, but some rappers try to sound intellectual and force it, to others it comes naturally.
How can you say they force it? Because there flow isn't amazing? So if someone has a good flow and they take 3 years to write a verse they are good, because it doesn't sound forced?

I don't know how it seems forced either. Unless angry = forced.
Lol, why are you getting so mad? Its just music, youre taking it way too seriously.

Something sounds forced when you try to make it sound more complex than it has to be. Take writing essays for example. You can go back and take every adjective in your essay and replace it with a fancier word. However, most writers will tell you that doing that is dumb and incorrect because youre forcing it, and you come off not sounding as smooth, and indirectly dulling your point.

Same with rap, it doesn't have to sound complex to be good. Some of the best lyrics Ive ever heard used basic words, but spoke them in a way that got the message across clearly and directly.

Too many rappers nowadays are throwing meaningless punchlines into their raps. It sounds all nice at first, but it has nothing to do with anything, and often times just thrown in without any important relation to the message being conveyed. Thats another example of forced lyrics. Punchlines are fine, but if every other bar has a punchline, now you forced it. Get what Im trying to say?
Old 12-07-2006, 05:02 PM    (permalink
jets future
Pro Bowler

jets future smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Quote:
How can you like mainstream rap when "Chain Hang Low" is in the top 10? Seriously...how did that dude even get a record deal?
well i olny listen to east coast rap i hate the dirty south they killed rap
people like lil wayne and t.i they have destroyed the word rap

but dont worry guys new york is back and we are going to bring rap to its good old days
jets future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 05:03 PM    (permalink
TH3
Veteran

TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I see this rap thread going where so many have in the past....
TH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 05:04 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151
Quote:
Quote:
I am not one of those.
Yeah, but most were. Like how snuff used to listen to G-unit until he found good music. I guess "turned on" wouldn't be the correct term. I should say that most people first hear rap through the mainstream, and then once they hear some of the hidden gems, they almost always prefer the underground stuff. Point being that the stream of peoples taste generally flows toward underground, and away from pop-rap.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:04 PM    (permalink
snuff

I am not getting mad, that is my personality. To hate people that make no sense.

Anyway lets hear these great lines with lack of fancy words.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:06 PM    (permalink
jets future
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I am not one of those.
Yeah, but most were. Like how snuff used to listen to G-unit until he found good music. I guess "turned on" wouldn't be the correct term. I should say that most people first hear rap through the mainstream, and then once they hear some of the hidden gems, they almost always prefer the underground stuff. Point being that the stream of peoples taste generally flows toward underground, and away from pop-rap.
snuff stills listens to g-unit,
he doesent want to tell any body but money in the bank is top of his play list
Old 12-07-2006, 05:06 PM    (permalink
snuff

Only time I listen to G-unit is when my suite mate plays it really loud and forces me to listen to it. I have none on my computer personally.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:07 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I am not one of those.
/\ edit
Okay, but who are his favorite rappers?
Old 12-07-2006, 05:09 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I am not getting mad, that is my personality. To hate people that make no sense.

Some of the most powerful rap lyrics were simple in verbeage, but displayed an underlying interpetation that you could feel. The words had a powerful impact together in the manner the rapper said them. They didn't have to be complex to convey their point.

"When I was twelve, I went to hell for snuffing Jesus"

"Trees bright and green turn yellow/brown, autumn caught em, see all them leaves must fall down"

I can go on and on, but you get the point. Its not the verbeage, its how you use it.

Those lyrics might not sound too nice on their own, but in the context of their songs, they were great.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:10 PM    (permalink
jets future
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I am not one of those.
Okay, but who are his favorite rappers?
inacbus, lil wayne, 50 cent, immortal technique, lloyd banks, pharoe monch, tony yayo
Old 12-07-2006, 05:13 PM    (permalink
snuff

Quote:
Quote:

Some of the most powerful rap lyrics were simple in verbeage, but displayed an underlying interpetation that you could feel. The words had a powerful impact together in the manner the rapper said them. They didn't have to be complex to convey their point.

"Trees bright and green turn yellow/brown, autumn caught em, see all them leaves must fall down"

I can go on and on, but you get the point. Its not the verbeage, its how you use it.

Those lyrics might not sound too nice on their own, but in the context of their songs, they were great.
The first line is awful, although I dn the song.

The second ones from Seasons, which is a huge metaphor which is a big punch line, which constitutes as something you hate I thought.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:15 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The first line is awful, although I dn the song.

The second ones from Seasons, which is a huge metaphor which is a big punch line, which constitutes as something you hate I thought.
Its from "Growing Old" by Outkast, later sampled by Cunninlynguists.

And no, I love lines like that. But it has to be used in good taste. Don't oversaturate your lyric with it, because it then takes away from its meaning.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:26 PM    (permalink
snuff

Oh.

Anyway so you don't like these types of lyrics?

"I jerk off inside books and give life to words/
Leaving concepts stuck together you probably never heard"

"The bling-bling era was cute but it's about to be done/
I leave ya full of clipse like the moon blocking the sun/
my metaphors are dirty like herpes but harder to catch"

"I'm the sickest linguistically, illicit lyrical misfit, in the business
And probably in existence. What's your consensus?"

"Ass streatch wider than Jim Carrey's mouth when he laughs
You might as well smoke a cigarrette while you huff gas
Facin' me is dummer than using fingernail clippers to cut grass "
Old 12-07-2006, 05:26 PM    (permalink
jets future
Pro Bowler

mos def and pharoe monch to me are the best underground rappers, but no where near the level of biggie, and jay z
Old 12-07-2006, 05:32 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Oh.

What songs are the last three to?

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 05:32 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Just reminded me of something.
Not sure if you guys have seen this yet, but it's hilarious.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MlkoWnEfVRo
Old 12-07-2006, 05:33 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Oh.

For a mixtape/freestyle theyre fine. For an album song, its too much, because it won't flow with the content of the lyric, unless the message of the lyric is "look how dope I sound"

Thats why you see alot of mixtape rappers fail when making albums. It takes a different tune to go from freestyling to making a song. Freestyling, you can say whatever, you can go whereever with your bars, but when you make a song, you gotta have lyrics that are direct. A punchline is fine as long as the whole lyric isn't just bar after bar of punchlines. You can only do that on freestyles, not on an actual song.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:34 PM    (permalink
snuff

One of them is from cunninlynguist's cd.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:21 PM    (permalink
jets future
Pro Bowler

jim jones and jay z is nothing but a beef that is starting to happen is the east coast and the south. nas album is hip hop is dead, well t.i and lil wayne are angry about this and they had some stuff to say about new york talkin **** about the south
Old 12-07-2006, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Jay-z but I don't think he could drop some **** like these:

Inspectah Deck
I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies
and hypothesis can't define how I be droppin these
mockeries, lyrically perform armed robbery
Flee with the lottery, possibly they spotted me
Battle-scarred shogun, explosion when my pen hits
tremendous, ultra-violet shine blind forensics

Nas
Before a blunt, I take out my fronts
Then I start to front, matter of fact, I be on a manhunt
You couldn't catch me in the streets without a ton of reefer
That's like Malcom X catching the Jungle Fever

Mos-Def

What, lyrically handsome, call collect a king's ransom
Jams I write soon become the ghetto anthem
Way out like Bruce Wayne's mansion, move like a phantom
You'll talk about me to your grandsons
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:58 PM    (permalink
JPLUFF
Veteran

JPLUFF hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Me personally, I'd rather buy the new Clipse CD than Jay Z's or Jim Jones'
Old 12-08-2006, 05:33 PM    (permalink
AdrianWilson12
Veteran

AdrianWilson12 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I must admit I did like mainstream rap at first, and still do like it in parts. I can proudly say I've always hated G Units music (apart from Young Buck who is poor rather than terrible). But here in Britain hip hop is a lot less popular, with underground guys I like almost unheard of by anyone I've met. Here, Grime and Garage are almost as popular as American hip hop. Lets put it this way out of 250 people in my year at school I'd be surprised if 10 ranked it as their favourite genre.

I do agree that East coast rap is the best geographical area of hip hop, by far IMO. In fact I'd argue that NY alone is better than the rest of the country combined.

Is the Clipse album any good? I've read good reviews but I'm cautious to get it as apparently it is entirely based on crack, which I can handle in moderation, but excessively I fear the tracks might be too similar.

Some of my favourite lyrics:
"Hit the Earth like a comet, invasion
Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin"
Nas - It Ain't Hard To Tell

"The system break man child and women into figures
Two columns for who is, and who ain't ******
Numbers is hardly real and they never have feelings
but you push too hard, even numbers got limits
Why did one straw break the camel's back? Here's the secret:
the million other straws underneath it"
Mos Def - Mathematics

"I felt like a moth who got himself too close to the light
Except I didn't burn, I turned cold after that night"
Immortal Technique - You Never Know
#1--Russell I can't be too disappointed in this pick because he is, realistically, a huge upgrade (in the same way that the Great Wall of China would be a huge upgrade over the fence in my backyard) over Andrew Walter.
AdrianWilson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:44 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Oh.

Industrial Revolution is the sickest song i have ever heard.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote