Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:33 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Who is the NFL's One Major Icon?

I posted this in another thread, but I think it's worth it's own.

....this brings up a question I always had. The other primary sports all have one significant legendary figure. Someone who's name, when uttered is instantly recognizable by hardcore sports fans and and non-sport fans alike. They are Icons who epitomize the essence of there sport. You mention the sport and there name coincides with it, and vice-versa. Guys who seem to transcend there respected sport. For basketball it is Jordan, baseball it's Babe Ruth, and NHL it's Gretzky. But does football have this one significant figure? Or is football to much of a team sport to even narrow it down just to one guy? Just something I always thought about.

And for what it's worth I think it would Vince Lombardi. For me when I think football I think of that hat, the power sweep and the name on that trophy. Everything about his name and his legacy is football. But with all this he isn't as recognizable as Jordan or Ruth is too a non-sports fan, like my sister or grandma.

Your thoughts?
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:36 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its definetly not Lombardi. I bet many people dont know who Lombardi is.

But as for an icon, my thoughts go to Joe Montana or Jerry Rice...But I have been living in the Bay Area for the past 10 years.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:42 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's much harder for one player to take over a game than it is in NHL, NBA, and MLB. I think each area has it's own icon, and there isn't one fully recognizable superstar for the NFL.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:48 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jerry Rice or Emmit Smith.

Both on Dancing with the Stars.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:49 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Brett Favre is as close as it will get.

Remember before Gretzky there was Orr (or Richard if you're canadian)
there's always a superstar before and there's always one that will come
after...that's a part of the reason we watch.

Clemens in baseball (though it's turned into a sideshow act) and Favre for football. Basketball is a league with a "forced" superstar in James...though
he may win a title this year, it will still take years of multiple accomplishments
(including multi championships) to even be breathed in the same sentance as
Jabbar, Magic, Jordan, The big O, Marovich or even say an Olaijuwon.
Hockey is in the same boat,...marketing the game behind it's best young player
and golf is owned by Tiger and Phil.

Last edited by Severe Punishment : 06-11-2007 at 01:53 AM.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:59 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
Brett Favre is as close as it will get.

Remember before Gretzky there was Orr (or Richard if you're canadian)
there's always a superstar before and there's always one that will come
after...that's a part of the reason we watch.

Clemens in baseball (though it's turned into a sideshow act) and Favre for football. Basketball is a league with a "forced" superstar in James...though
he may win a title this year, it will still take years of multiple accomplishments
(including multi championships) to even be breathed in the same sentance as
Jabbar, Magic, Jordan, The big O, Marovich or even say an Olaijuwon.
Hockey is in the same boat,...marketing the game behind it's best young player
and golf is owned by Tiger and Phil.
Clemens isn't the face of all time MLB, not even current. I am not even casual and I can't remember his name all the time. A-rod is the most recognizable. Current Basketball is Shaq easily, he is right behind Jordan. Hockey is Gretzky, I can't name another hockey player.

I think that you think this is only current players.

Brett Favre isn't that known among casual/ non fans. Peyton has so many commercials he is bound to be more known than 99% of the players.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:04 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn View Post
Clemens isn't the face of all time MLB, not even current. I am not even casual and I can't remember his name all the time. A-rod is the most recognizable. Current Basketball is Shaq easily, he is right behind Jordan. Hockey is Gretzky, I can't name another hockey player.

I didn't mean Clemens as the all time...just as of now. He's a 5 time Cy Young winner and has 1 thing A-Rod doesn't. A ring with the Yankees.
A-Rod is (to me anyways) the best player in the game and has been for 5 years...but that doesn't make him a name you directly associate with the games past present and future. Clemens is the modern era's Cy Young.
Hockey is greatzky , and always will be. How about Ray Borque, Mark Messier, Domanic Hasek, Mario Lemiux or Jarmir Jagr.
I'd forgotten about Shaq. He's been dominant but I think really think he missed his calling with acting..I mean everytime I see Kazaam I'm more and more impressed.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:04 AM    (permalink
jag
Veteran

jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn View Post

Brett Favre isn't that known among casual/ non fans. Peyton has so many commercials he is bound to be more known than 99% of the players.
I'm sorry, but Shaq is not the face of the NBA. Not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
It's just a ******* dog By Michael Vick
Check out the Dailyer Nebraskan
http://www.dailyernebraskan.com
421 Witness
756*
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:06 AM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everyone knows Marino. Laces out Dan.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:15 AM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag View Post
I'm sorry, but Shaq is not the face of the NBA. Not even close.
Agree 1000%. The face of the NBA right now is Dwade, or LBJ. Dwade is on all those commercials for his phone, and Lebron is just flat out good. Both players everyone knows about, but probably James more. So I go w/ James.

As for the NFL right now its Peyton Manning. again commercials, but he also does everything good, and sends the messages that the NFL wants to send. LT is in a close behind, but QB gets the spotlight more.

Golf is Tiger and Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:26 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Peyton is taking on that kind of image right now, and yeah there are guys like Jonny U, Montana, Marino, Rice who have that kind of stigma. I also think John Madden should have his name thrown into the mix. But no there is no guy in football like a Michael Jordan to the NBA, Muhammad Ali to boxing, or Gretzky to the NHL. i.e. a guy who is the undisputed best ever.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:14 AM    (permalink
LarryJohnson27
Rookie

LarryJohnson27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Current: Peyton

All-Time: Montana, Emmit, or Rice. I hear Marino's name all the time living in South Florida. Walter Payton is also a player that comes to mind for me.
LarryJohnson27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:17 AM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Shaq definitely WAS the face of the NBA during Jordan's fadeout/post retirement era. League MVP, the most dominant player on the most dominant team, 3 peat.

Anyone remember "Taco Neck Syndrome?" Ah, good times.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:03 AM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think soon it will be reggie bush. I don't think people really understand how he revolutionized the sport these past 2 years.

Not to mention all the casual fans he sucked into watching the sport more regularly.

I live in anaheim so we use to get random nfl games on sunday but this past year we got 95 percent of the saints' games.

Last edited by soybean : 06-11-2007 at 04:09 AM.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:13 AM    (permalink
hornybastard
Rookie

hornybastard needs more cowbell.

NFL-It's Peyton due to all of his commercials and he just won the Super Bowl and was on SNL.

MLB-It's Clemens all you do is hear his name right now. Everybody at my work that watches or doesn't watch sports know Roger Clemens.

NBA-LeBron James even though he doesn't deserve it it's ture.

NHL-Sidney Crosby...uh yea Crosby I guess.

Seattle Sports baby!

Shaun Alexander, Lofa Tatupu, Matt Hasselbeck, Kevin Durant and Ichiro Suzuki are all gods!
hornybastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:13 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

right now....

NFL: Manning (Peyton of course)
NBA: Lebron James
MLB: A-Rod
Golf: Tiger

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:56 AM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.

It's really hard to pick just one. In the NFL right now, I think it has to be Brett Favre. When Favre retires, it will probably be Brady, unless Manning can get another SB trophy to back up the hype and the endorsements with even MORE hardware.

All time, some guys who are definitely on the list of possibles:

Montana

Unitas

Barry Sanders

Lombardi

Walsh

Shula

Jim Brown

Jerry Rice

Emmitt Smith

Dan Marino

Walter Payton

Mike Ditka
Old 06-11-2007, 06:03 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it changes. I think the latest era has been Tom Brady. The one before Brett Favre, Elway, Jerry Rice, Steve Young and the list goes on.

There's no real "one" icon, maybe top 5 most recognizable players.

Brady, Manning, Vick, Ray Lewis, Terrell Owens.

Though the last three probably for as many bad reasons as good.

I think that the big parity between AFC and NFC as far as a lot of coverage in some areas makes a difference too.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:34 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It is very hard to have one defining icon in football because careers are so short in comparison to other sports. Baseball players can play 25 years, hockey easily 20, and basketball 20 in many cases. Football players cannot start their careers until 20 at best, and in many cases, it's 22 or 23. Playing 12 years becomes a long career in the NFL. You don't see many non-kicker/punters playing more than 15.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:02 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
I think it changes. I think the latest era has been Tom Brady. The one before Brett Favre, Elway, Jerry Rice, Steve Young and the list goes on.

There's no real "one" icon, maybe top 5 most recognizable players.

Brady, Manning, Vick, Ray Lewis, Terrell Owens.

Though the last three probably for as many bad reasons as good.

I think that the big parity between AFC and NFC as far as a lot of coverage in some areas makes a difference too.
I agree. I'd have to say in my area (Pittsburgh/Johnstown/Altoona, PA) it's all about Troy Polamalu, because of his hair.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:22 AM    (permalink
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
Pro Bowler

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here are what I think that todays icons are in their respective sports.

Football - Peyton Manning
Baseball - Alex Rodriguez
Basketball - LeBron James
Hockey - Sidney Crosby
Soccer - David Beckham

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:33 AM    (permalink
amag
Rookie

amag needs more cowbell.

NFL - Favre, Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, T.O., Peyton, Brady, Montana, Elway, Young, Marino, E Smith, B Sanders, D Sanders, Marshall Faulk, all names I think of when I think NFL

MLB - Jeter, Clemens, Cal Ripkin Jr., Ken Griffey Jr., a-rod, Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantal, Hank, Reggie Jackson, Paul o'neal(sp, could never spell his name right)

NBA - Jordan, Shaq, Lebron, Dwade

Golf- tiger
amag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:17 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It changes by era. If you recall may Packers were in commericals in the mid-90's

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd say Peyton Manning is the face of the NFL right now.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:30 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How many advertising campaigns and other media jobs has Peyton Manning done in the past 2 years?

If he's not the NFL's crowning Golden Boy I don't know who is.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote