Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:45 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
and chad johnson.

i think, in football, there's no way to look for a single player. i mean, i could say unitas. but then there's montana, marino, elway, etc.

i guess i'm not even sure you can say jordan's as iconic as you're giving him credit for. bill russell? wilt chamberlain? i'm not really trying hard, but i think in any sport, it's difficult to point out a single guy and say "he's basketball" or "he's football". i guess, if we're looking for a jordan like player, it would be difficult to not say montana, in terms of stature in the game. but again, in both sports (and in hockey, and probably in baseball), there are so many arguments one could make.
Something about Ruth and Jordan, aside there success and performance on the field and court, they transcended there respective sports. Ruth's charisma and personality brought baseball to a wider audience, he made it accessible. Ruth was really the first athlete that became a celebrity. Samething for Jordan. A marketing and money cow whose name is goes beyond basketball, it is a brand and corporation. People in Japan, Austarli, Uk know these names. They are Icons. They are the biggest names to ever play in there sport. And with there stature, doesn't come with the title as "greatest ever", but rather thety are known as winners, marketers, personalities and apart of a America's Culture.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:01 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The guy whose face is plastered on every conceivable advertisement, Peyton Manning.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:30 PM    (permalink
Aftermath
Veteran

Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.

LT?

Lawrence Taylor i mean.

Sig by yours truly.
Aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:54 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Throw out all these other names for the NBA.. The most POLARIZING figure in the sport today is none other than Kobe Bryant.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:58 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
People took this to a broader scale then I would thought. I was asking for a one significant figure for the sports whole lifetime. Basketball is MJ, Baseball is Ruth, but question is does football have this figure, this legend. and people come up here with Reggie Bush? WTF
ask people who dont watch or know anything about football and whose name will they say is recognizable? vince lombardi?

besides the all time answer is probably jerry rice then.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
Throw out all these other names for the NBA.. The most POLARIZING figure in the sport today is none other than Kobe Bryant.

Michael Vick is in the discussion in regards to most polarizing. He has been the most discussed and debated player in the NFL for five years now.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:02 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would say Rice, he dominated his position in a way no other player has.
Marino's records could soon be broken by Favre. Emitt did only but so much better than Payton. Nobody outside of the football world pays attention to OL or DL. And the only defensive playr that jumps out at non-fans is Ray Lewis and thats because he was arrested. The best way to tell who the major icon of the NFL is to ask women, who dont play sports/follow football, if they know any names of NFL players

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean View Post
ask people who dont watch or know anything about football and whose name will they say is recognizable? vince lombardi?

besides the all time answer is probably jerry rice then.
It sure ain't Reggie bush, that's for danm sure. Whoever pulled that name out should be banished from here, he hasn't done anything in the NFL to even be in the conversation as "The" NFL Icon, ridiculous.

Last edited by Paul : 06-12-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:16 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

John Madden, John Madden, John Madden.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:51 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsfan912 View Post
Roger Clemens? Are you kidding me? Greg Maddux is 10 times the pitcher he is, without a doubt. If you want to call anyone the modern day Cy Young, it's Greg Maddux. The only reason Clemens name is in the news is because he is with the Yankees.

MLB "Icons" - Current - Pujols, Mauer, Arod, Bonds, Jeter, Griffey Jr., Randy Johnson, Ortiz, Manny, the Young Mets (Wright and Reyes), and so on.
MLB Past "Icons" - Pete Rose, Sandy Koufax, Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, the Babe, Nolan Ryan, Lou Gerhig, Joe Dimaggio, ect.
Match up stat for stat and Clemens OWNS everyone of the last 20 years.
He's without a doubt a top 10 pitcher of all time.
The only other players you can even put into that category should be less
than 10...and for pitchers there isn't another one.
Clemens has excelled wherever he's been. Maddux did what with the Cubs ? ummm what with the Padres ?? He was the elite' beneficiary of a solid Braves team that made 3 world series apperances during Maddox's best years ...but Clemens to a very average 86 RedSox team to within a
few outs of being a world champion. I'd doubt very much if you could name 1/2 of that red sox starting lineup without googling it. They were a 1 man show and that 1 man was the rocket.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:15 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
It sure ain't Reggie bush, that's for danm sure. Whoever pulled that name out should be banished from here, he hasn't done anything in the NFL to even be in the conversation as "The" NFL Icon, ridiculous.
i said his name, but not based on his production. moreso his recognizability.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:17 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NHL- Gretzky he made hockey what it is now.
NBA- Kobe consider one of the best right next to Jordan.
MLB- Bonds? i know its not right but everyone knows him.
NFL- Favre or Marino
Old 06-12-2007, 04:18 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
i said his name, but not based on his production. moreso his recognizability.
...you said he revolutionized the sport over the past two years...

Quote:
i think soon it will be reggie bush. I don't think people really understand how he revolutionized the sport these past 2 years.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:20 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
...you said he revolutionized the sport over the past two years...
well i didnt really mean in the nfl.

(i dont know if that makes any sense)

that was a gross exaggeration on my part. I just meant he brought a lot of casual fans to watching the sport more.

Last edited by soybean : 06-12-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:22 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
well i didnt really mean in the nfl.

(i dont know if that makes any sense)
He didn't revolutionize much in the college game either, he's a receiving, speedy RB, there were ones before him, and ones after him...he may have been better then the others in college, but he certainly didn't change anything.

I get what your saying it just hardly makes him the NFL's "major icon" or a revolutionizer of the game.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:27 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
He didn't revolutionize much in the college game either, he's a receiving, speedy RB, there were ones before him, and ones after him...he may have been better then the others in college, but he certainly didn't change anything.

I get what your saying it just hardly makes him the NFL's "major icon" or a revolutionizer of the game.
yeah im doing a really bad job of explaining what i mean. I should just simplify it to "people know who he is"
Old 06-12-2007, 04:35 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
yeah im doing a really bad job of explaining what i mean. I should just simplify it to "people know who he is"
I don't think it anyone would argue that...lol.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:53 PM    (permalink
Phrost

Quote:
i think soon it will be reggie bush. I don't think people really understand how he revolutionized the sport these past 2 years.

Not to mention all the casual fans he sucked into watching the sport more regularly.

I live in anaheim so we use to get random nfl games on sunday but this past year we got 95 percent of the saints' games.
he didn't revolutionize ****.

He didn't change the way the game is played did he?

Will he? NO
Old 06-15-2007, 07:59 PM    (permalink
DWilliams2IndyColts
Veteran

DWilliams2IndyColts hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.DWilliams2IndyColts hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Well, Bo knows sports.

Michael "Franchise" Young QB Akron Zepplins #10
164/281, 58.4% 1956 yards, 10 TD/8 INT
50 rushes, 321 yards, 4 TD, 6.4 YPC
Record: 7-3
DWilliams2IndyColts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:22 PM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

coming from australia football is not even close to mainstream so the casual sportsfan over here normally hasnt heard of many players at all. from what i hear i think that dan marino or john elway or the most famous for the non football fan.
7-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:24 PM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

and of current players id go with mike vick, ive got freinds that have never watched a game of football in their lives and they know who mike vick is
7-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:42 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
NHL- Gretzky he made hockey what it is now.
He did a lot for hockey when he played, but comparing Gretzky-era hockey to its current popularity/"what it is now" is just ridiculous.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 11:33 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
Match up stat for stat and Clemens OWNS everyone of the last 20 years.
He's without a doubt a top 10 pitcher of all time.
The only other players you can even put into that category should be less
than 10...and for pitchers there isn't another one.
Ok, I'm a big Roger Clemens fan, but have you ever heard of a guy by the name of Pedro Martinez? His stats puts Clemens' to shame. Granted, I believe both are top 10 of all-time, but Clemens only gets the recognition he does because of how long he has been doing it. The fact that Clemens has been playing at such a high level for so long puts him about equal to Martinez, but to say Clemens is on a whole other level for the last 20 years is bull.

Quote:
but Clemens to a very average 86 RedSox team to within a
few outs of being a world champion. I'd doubt very much if you could name 1/2 of that red sox starting lineup without googling it. They were a 1 man show and that 1 man was the rocket.
First of all, this is easy for me since I am a Red Sox fan, but you have got to be kidding me with this one man show thing? I can tell you don't follow baseball by a few things in that comment. Any average baseball fan knows Tom Seaver, Wade Boggs, Jim Rice, and Don Baylor. Boggs is a Hall of Famer and Rice is a borderline Hall of Famer who has been close to getting in numerous times. Tom Seaver is a Hall of Famer (although 1986 was at the end of his career). Secondly, no one starting pitcher can ever have that much effect on a team. You do realize that Clemens only pitched in 20% of his teams games that year, right? No one starting pitcher has ever carried on entire team to an almost World Series Championship. It just isn't possible. When you only have effect on one game out of every five you just can't realistically do that much for a team. The most one pitcher can do is give you a chance to win 20% of your games. Nothing more. Again, I'm a big Clemens fan, but let's not make him into something he's not.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 11:35 PM    (permalink
Phrost

Pedro Martinez was a god with the Sox. He could paint corners like not other.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:04 AM    (permalink
Football Fan
Veteran

Football Fan smells like sex panther.

Favre
He may not be close to the best player in the league right now, but he is going to start his 17th year. The nfl has been promoting him forever with prime time games due to all the records he has been breaking and will continue to do so until he retires. He is in the process of breaking the all time touchdown pass record and hasnt miseed a game in 16 years. For younger people he would be less recognizable(which is the age group most represented on this site), but the NFL is watched by all age groups including many peoples great grand pappies.
That said he will likely be historically viewed just equally in recognition with many other all time great. Without quetion he is currently one of the top faces in the nfl today.

Last edited by Football Fan : 06-27-2007 at 01:59 AM.
Football Fan is offline   Reply With Quote