Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 06-27-2007, 09:05 PM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
If the Pac Ten is so bad than why are they able to compete with USC?
Sep 2 - W at Arkansas, 50-14
Sep 9 - Open
Sep 16 - W vs. Nebraska, 28-10
Sep 23 - W at Arizona, 20-3
Sep 30 - W at Washington St, 28-22
Oct 7 - W vs. Washington, 26-20
Oct 14 - W vs. Arizona State, 28-21
Oct 21 - Open
Oct 28 - L at Oregon State, 31-33
Nov 4 - W at Stanford, 42-0
Nov 11 - W vs. Oregon, 35-10
Nov 18 - W vs. California, 23-9
Nov 25 - W vs. Notre Dame, 44-24
Dec 2 - L at U-C-L-A, 9-13
Jan 1 - W at Michigan, 32-18
USC only suffered two losses last year both to Pac Ten teams.
Some teams match up well with others.

Ole Miss always (for the most part) gives LSU fits.
Acreboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:21 PM    (permalink
Primetime21
Veteran

Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea we should get rid of all confrences besides the SEC and just let that division battle it out for the National Championship.[/sarcasm]

Noone is really trying to argue that Pac-10 >>SEC its just that with is as good as almost every other division besides the SEC. Lets see if the Pac-10 is as average as everyone thinks come bowl season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
players intsimy latieres are sutpdi. the players areat all unituw/ o dpmt ebem aer about wat the lpater aare calling themeslves of whatever, terhera will Its sutpid/ neever be anothe said playerm. rscj p;syhyrt uniyeee, snf rhyrtrgotr, each player autntiwue for each syste,. /
Alcohol+Draft Forum= Fneuniest timez evverzzz
Primetime21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:28 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The strength of the Pac-10, at least to me, has always been questionable. Like in the SEC, it's a toss up each year between Florida, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Tennesee and even Alabama or Arkansas. They're the most deep conference in the nation. In the Pac-10.. It seems like USC always comes out on top with Cal or UCLA trailing behind by a large margin.

But, I think this cheap shot was uncalled for and not needed. Les, just talk on the field bro. I'm sure LSU would give it to USC in Cali or in the Bayou. That LSU defense is impenetrable.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:44 PM    (permalink
elway777
All-Pro

elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Ha, just like Michigans did.
SC would kill Matt Flynn. In all honesty though I would love to LSU/USC. It would be a great match up IMO. As long as Flynn can manage the game vs. SEC defenses LSU should be in the big dance.
elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:52 AM    (permalink
reese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetime21 View Post
Yea we should get rid of all confrences besides the SEC and just let that division battle it out for the National Championship.[/sarcasm]

Noone is really trying to argue that Pac-10 >>SEC its just that with is as good as almost every other division besides the SEC. Lets see if the Pac-10 is as average as everyone thinks come bowl season.
what was the pac 10 record in bowl games last year?
Old 06-28-2007, 02:03 AM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

gstock05 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Everyone knows rivals and scout have a southern bias in the recruiting department. So the whole star ranking system is good, but not great.

The SEC is the deepest conference, but never the most topheavy.

The big 10 and Pac 10 are more topheavy in terms of the overall talent on the top level teams. Only LSU and florida can match talentwise with OSU, Michigan, and USC.

Furthermore, SEC teams make it a habit to play terrible OOC teams. Lots of d1aa teams and such, so I dont buy into it tooo much.

Furthermore, when you try to throw the "Florida killed OSU tidbit" stop talking. The Big Ten went 3-1 vs the sec during the bowl season. They won the big one, but a piece of crap PSU team beat Tennessee, "Average" Wisconsin beat both Auburn at one of their best, and Arkansas the last two years. SEC is the best conference because there are more good teams, but not the overall top end talent IMO.
gstock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:04 AM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

gstock05 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The PAC 10 will be very good this year. I wouldn't want to face a pac 10 team. UCLA is going to be very underrated, USC is obvious. Cal is always tough and will be better this year than last year. Oregon will be good as always too, and IMO will upset Michigan early on.
gstock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:52 AM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Southern Cal's schedule is harder than LSU's this season. I don't know what Les Miles is thinking about or why he even decided to chime in. LSU has 3 or 4 hard games at most, all at home. USC has a ton of hard road games and a few hard ones at home too. @ Cal, @ Nebraska, @ Notre Dame, @ Oregon. 4 (potentially) top 25 teams on the road. Plus UCLA and Or. St at home, two teams that beat the Trojans last year. I'm no USC fan (ASU 'til I die) but that's a pretty damn hard schedule. I wouldn't trade LSU's schedule for USC's if I was Les Miles. I know the SEC has lots of solid teams, but they have divisions and not all the top teams play each other. In the Pac-10 everyone has to play each other, no avoiding the best teams. LSU doesn't have to play Tennessee and Georgia this year unless it's in the championship game. So Les Miles is wrong here and he comes across as pretty ignorant.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:49 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In the Pac-10, I always root for the underdog, but I'm never right as you can see. I will be a Cal fan for life! My favorite team in the conference right now is Oregon.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:43 PM    (permalink
reese

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstock05 View Post
Everyone knows rivals and scout have a southern bias in the recruiting department. So the whole star ranking system is good, but not great.

The big 10 and Pac 10 are more topheavy in terms of the overall talent on the top level teams. Only LSU and florida can match talentwise with OSU, Michigan, and USC.

Furthermore, SEC teams make it a habit to play terrible OOC teams. Lots of d1aa teams and such, so I dont buy into it tooo much.

Furthermore, when you try to throw the "Florida killed OSU tidbit" stop talking. The Big Ten went 3-1 vs the sec during the bowl season. They won the big one, but a piece of crap PSU team beat Tennessee, "Average" Wisconsin beat both Auburn at one of their best, and Arkansas the last two years. SEC is the best conference because there are more good teams, but not the overall top end talent IMO.

how did u come to the conclusion that the pac 10 had more talent then the SEC?
Old 06-28-2007, 12:48 PM    (permalink
benchod
Rookie

benchod is a cocksman.benchod is a cocksman.benchod is a cocksman.benchod is a cocksman.

A better question would be why Les still has a job. He's had what can easily be considered the most talented team in the conference if not the country and they chronically underachieve.

But back on topic, this entire topic is basically comparing the other conferences now. Nobody is going to make the argument that the Pac10 is better than the SEC, but I would take the Pac 10 over the ACC, Big10, Big 12 or Big East this coming year. But most years, its a legitmate argument to have the Pac10 as the 3rd or 4th best conference.
benchod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:08 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchod View Post
A better question would be why Les still has a job. He's had what can easily be considered the most talented team in the conference if not the country and they chronically underachieve.
Lmao are you serious? His first year here he had a Sophmore QB, Hurricane Katrina, and a hard-ass schedule. They went 11-2, destroying good team after good team. His second year he went to a BSC bowl and blows out Notre Dame. Underachieving? Hell no, this man is a damn fine HC.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
Lmao are you serious? His first year here he had a Sophmore QB, Hurricane Katrina, and a hard-ass schedule. They went 11-2, destroying good team after good team. His second year he went to a BSC bowl and blows out Notre Dame. Underachieving? Hell no, this man is a damn fine HC.
We finally have the speed on D for Pelini to start blitzing.
Acreboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:49 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

back to back 11 win seasons is underachieveing?

2005 would've probably been totally different if not for Katrina. 2006 had way too many tough road games, and the team lost a good deal of talent.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:40 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
No hes an average coach at best.He inherited a very talented team and has won with them.
Before when he was coach at OSU his teams were a little bit above average.They were nothing special and neither is Miles.
Quote:
His second year he went to a BSC bowl and blows out Notre Dame.
WHo cares everybody knows ND is overated.IT wasnt at all a good matchup.ND shouldnt have been put in a BCS bowl the past two years in the first place.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:09 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

In his defense, hes been recruiting really well. This year I think we'll see what hes all about, since most of Saban's players are starting to get outnumbered with his.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:46 PM    (permalink
benchod
Rookie

benchod is a cocksman.benchod is a cocksman.benchod is a cocksman.benchod is a cocksman.

11 wins is fine if you're a Cal or Oklahoma State, but we're talking about a team that easily has the talent to win the title every year. 11 wins is underachieving for this squad considering they aren't in the hunt for the national championship late in the season under Les.

Granted he's only been there 2 years and had to deal with Katrina and that situation his first year, but honestly, you're talking about a squad that is filled with 1st round NFL talent.
benchod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:59 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

I think expecting him to win the national title last year would've been a stretch too. You can't expect to go into Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, and Arkansas and come out 4-0.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:58 PM    (permalink
LEROY_FROM_YONDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstock05 View Post

um judgin from the championship game OSU couldnt beat lakeland high...michigan was bout as overrated an notre dame...michigan played 2 tems last year an got beat by both...to say the SEC isnt topheavy is redundant...any given year FL,GA,TN,ARK,LSU,AL could win the SEC.....In the BIG 10/11 its always gonna be either OSU or MICH..PAC-10 is always USC an...BIG 12 is always either OU or UT...so rethink your not so smart statement
Old 06-30-2007, 11:30 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEROY_FROM_YONDER View Post
um judgin from the championship game OSU couldnt beat lakeland high...michigan was bout as overrated an notre dame...michigan played 2 tems last year an got beat by both...to say the SEC isnt topheavy is redundant...any given year FL,GA,TN,ARK,LSU,AL could win the SEC.....In the BIG 10/11 its always gonna be either OSU or MICH..PAC-10 is always USC an...BIG 12 is always either OU or UT...so rethink your not so smart statement
In English please?

From what I could decipher, Ohio State had a bad national title game, there's no denying that. I'm pretty sure Ohio State could beat Lakeland High considering they ran show in the Big 10. Glad to see one bowl game makes people forget about the first 12 again. Michigan beat Wisconsin by 2 touchdowns who beat your darling SEC squad Arkansas, so to call them overrated is a stretch. Michigan lost to Ohio State by 3 points. Do you really think that Florida would beat Ohio State 41-14 or whatever the hell it was every single time? No. The Buckeyes played an awful game without their second best RECEIVER and best returner and if Chris Wells gets that 4th and 1, we're looking at a whole different ball game. I also don't think the OSU O-line could play a worse game the next time around if they tried to. The SEC is the best conference in the country, there's no doubting this. However, let's not make every team in there out to be the second coming of the '72 Dolphins. By the way Arkansas has not won the SEC since 1989 so I wouldn't throw them in the discussion. Oh and since 1999 7 Big 10 teams have won at least a share of the conference title, so there goes another point.

By comparison, in that same time period 5 different teams (Nebraska, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Texas and Colorado) have won the Big 12 title, making another one of your points irrelevant. As far as the Pac-10 goes, 7 different teams have held at least a share of the conference title. Please try not to be so uneducated when posting something.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:33 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I missed gstock05's point about the Big 10 being 3-1 vs. the SEC. Toss that into my lengthy post too.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:42 PM    (permalink
Primetime21
Veteran

Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"The Pac-10 compiled a stellar mark of 25-12 (.676) against non-conference foes. The Pac-10 finished 10-7 in games against BCS teams from automatic qualifying conferences. In non-conference matchups against Top 25 foes, the Pac-10 was an excellent 6-7 and in non-conference matchups where both teams were ranked, the Pac-10 held a 5-1 advantage."
Found this.

This shows that the Pac-10 should at least be mentioned with Big 10 and the ACC.
Quote:
players intsimy latieres are sutpdi. the players areat all unituw/ o dpmt ebem aer about wat the lpater aare calling themeslves of whatever, terhera will Its sutpid/ neever be anothe said playerm. rscj p;syhyrt uniyeee, snf rhyrtrgotr, each player autntiwue for each syste,. /
Old 06-30-2007, 11:53 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetime21 View Post
"The Pac-10 compiled a stellar mark of 25-12 (.676) against non-conference foes. The Pac-10 finished 10-7 in games against BCS teams from automatic qualifying conferences. In non-conference matchups against Top 25 foes, the Pac-10 was an excellent 6-7 and in non-conference matchups where both teams were ranked, the Pac-10 held a 5-1 advantage."
Found this.

This shows that the Pac-10 should at least be mentioned with Big 10 and the ACC.
This is true, but 6-7 isn't excellent. Sorry.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:58 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What were the other conferences in that stat?

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:24 AM    (permalink
Primetime21
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
This is true, but 6-7 isn't excellent. Sorry.
Not my words, and yes when I read that I shook my head.

"non-conference matchups where both teams were ranked, the Pac-10 held a 5-1 advantage"

This is really only excellent stat that was shown in my above post.
Quote:

Last edited by Primetime21 : 07-01-2007 at 12:28 AM.