Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Ten-million dollar club

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

TEAMS WITH $10M OR MORE OF CAP ROOM

1.Cleveland $22 million
2.Buffalo $21 million
3.Minnesota $20 million
4.Jacksonville $16.5 million
5.Kansas City $16.2 million
6.Green Bay $16 million
7.Tennessee $15.3 million
8.Dallas $13.8 million
9.Oakland $12.5 million
10.Philadelphia $11.5 million
11.St. Louis $11.5 million
12.New Orleans $11.2 million
13.Seattle $10.5 million
14.N.Y. Jets $10 million
Old 06-30-2007, 11:29 AM    (permalink
cdf2108

well yeah, but you forget to add that a lot of these teams have rookies who will most likely command large signing bonuses, especially cleveland.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:22 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

well they said somethin like the average for rookie cap hits is 4.7 mill roughly. So even with that these teams still have quite the amount of cap space, which is unfortunately gonna lead to a bunch of 2nd tier players gettin huge money next year, which then upsets the top tier players who aren't gettin that money. wait, that sounds familiar...did that happen this year already?

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:26 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Patriots are at over 8 mill. Only Meriweather to sign and Brown as first day guys.
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:29 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gotta say, even though the Jaguars have only really been middle to upper middle of the pack for a while now, they're cap management is superb. I believe their motto is "backloading is a naughty word", which means their team salary stays even and doesn't jump up one year all of a sudden. That and they are usually very quiet FA players. I guess it puts a stress on drafting well so it's only a good cap system if you're good at that really, which they generally have been, being a playoff contender lately.

Anyway, that's enough of my divisional rival love, just don't think they get enough credit for their cap management.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:32 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remix 6 View Post
Patriots are at over 8 mill. Only Meriweather to sign and Brown as first day guys.
Really? i thought they were around one or two. If thats the case why arent they paying Samuel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:43 PM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Saints only have Meachem left to sign too.
Acreboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:45 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Really? i thought they were around one or two. If thats the case why arent they paying Samuel?
Nothing to do with this year's cap really - more to do with the long term. If they were to get him inked to a new long term deal, it would count a LOT less in 07 than the franchise tag does, so yeah, not a current year cap issue.

So far, the Pats have proven they can do well with mid range DB's at some pretty crucial times, so I guess they don't feel they need to put aside a chunk of their future cap health for a CB.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:48 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Man, San Francisco really used up all of their cap this offseason, huh?
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:57 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not a fan of the Chiefs GM Carl Peterson but I have to give it to him he really improved our cap this year it was a mess at the end of the season.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:06 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzTitan View Post
Nothing to do with this year's cap really - more to do with the long term. If they were to get him inked to a new long term deal, it would count a LOT less in 07 than the franchise tag does, so yeah, not a current year cap issue.

So far, the Pats have proven they can do well with mid range DB's at some pretty crucial times, so I guess they don't feel they need to put aside a chunk of their future cap health for a CB.
Thanks for the clarrification, i was woundering about that

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:14 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
if u have a million dollars in life..do u just go out and spend it all?

he wants more than we've offered..he doesnt even want the franchise tag which is a guranteed $7.9 or w.e mill contract.

u dont overpay at a store because u have more money than the average joe.

plus ASante's franchise tag already counts towards that list so if hes traded..we'll have over $10 million like that article stated.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:36 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

he wants more than we've offered..he doesnt even want the franchise tag which is a guranteed $7.9 or w.e mill contract.

plus ASante's franchise tag already counts towards that list so if hes traded..we'll have over $10 million like that article stated.
But what else would you rather pay for than a pro bowl caliber corner? I think the Pats front office is trying not to acknowledge the huge jump in contract sizes that Clements has put out there.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:51 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cleveland has a 1st round QB and a #3 overall pick to dish out signing bonuses too. Not to mention a 2nd rounder who will be commanding better money than his slot usually gets since he's got leverage with the whole "should've been a top 15 pick" and the fact that he is a starting CB.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:21 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:

Oh i agree, i dont think that just because we have the money, we should throw it at any player who demands more. i think that if we have a pro bowl caliber player, who hasnt made any real money in his previous contact, wants more money and a longer contract we should give it to him. Hes still young and a little more money and a longer contract would only make the team better

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-30-2007, 02:28 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Steelers have almost no room because they have alot of contracts in their final years like Faneca, Polamalu, Simmons, Starks, Haggans and Colcoulgh. We're supposed to have something like 43 million next year so hopefully we'll use that to get guys like Troy and Ben signed.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:41 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vikings= BIG SPENDERS!!!
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:47 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It's amazing how far the Jets have come regarding the cap situation within the last two years.

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:11 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Oh i agree, i dont think that just because we have the money, we should throw it at any player who demands more. i think that if we have a pro bowl caliber player, who hasnt made any real money in his previous contact, wants more money and a longer contract we should give it to him. Hes still young and a little more money and a longer contract would only make the team better
Law didnt get it. why should Asante?

Asante was our nickel in training camp last year..he started as the #2 CB and didnt play #1 till 9 games into the season.

he did play great and he shines in playoffs but its too early for him wanting to get a 10 mill per year contract

we offered him the average of the top 5 salaries but hes angry. and that tattoo get paid worries me

if we pay him what HE WANTS..then everyone that becomes an FA from Patriots can say..you gave Asante what HE WANTED when you had cap room so why not me?
Old 06-30-2007, 03:37 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

da Raidaz!!!
Old 06-30-2007, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreboy View Post
Saints only have Meachem left to sign too.
Extremely scary thought.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:46 PM    (permalink
benchod
Rookie

benchod is a cocksman.benchod is a cocksman.benchod is a cocksman.benchod is a cocksman.

Asante wants Clements type money, so there's no way NE will budge and give him anywhere near that much. Supposedly, the signing of Vasher hurts Asante because of comparing market deals, but Asante wants a deal that puts him into the upper tier of CB money.
benchod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:59 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchod View Post
Asante wants Clements type money, so there's no way NE will budge and give him anywhere near that much. Supposedly, the signing of Vasher hurts Asante because of comparing market deals, but Asante wants a deal that puts him into the upper tier of CB money.
Asante's agent says it makes no different what Vasher got :\

what a tard
Old 06-30-2007, 07:10 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Jaguars have a great cap figure, and they only have 4 of their 11 draft picks unsigned.

Considering that 3 of those 4 are the first-day guys, that'll still be a decent amount of bonus money. But the Jaguars have always been prudent with their funds under Shack Harris.

If they ever fall in love with a free-agent, they'll always be able to cash in and acquire him without any real cap ramifications. That's the upside you get when you have a young, deep team with enough talent to consistantly make playoff runs as is.
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:37 PM    (permalink
High Roller
Rookie

High Roller hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
Man, San Francisco really used up all of their cap this offseason, huh?
They just missed the cut off with $9.8 million. Hey, they resigned their franchise back for 4 years I believe and a stud CB. Not to mention two 1st round picks, one being a LT/RT. I'm satisfied.

Faithful Niner Fan
High Roller is offline   Reply With Quote